The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Archive/Feedback for Advanced Starfighter Combat Project
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Archive/Feedback for Advanced Starfighter Combat Project Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose I could also shift the splash-over table one level up, so it looks like this:
    Ion Roll > Shields by = Roll Ion Damage vs. Hull
    0-3 = Ion Damage -4D
    4-8 = Ion Damage -2D
    9-12 = Ion Damage -1D
    13+ = Full Damage
That increases the chances of splash-over damage still potentially ionizing the ship, while still providing some protection.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GRAVITY BOMBS
While bombing ground targets is not as glamorous as dogfighting, it is one of the essential part of starfighter operations. A pilot can shoot down all the enemy fighters in a system, but that will never contribute as much to the war effort as dropping a bomb tht destroys the factory where those fighters were built in the first place. Of course, the different types of bombs also necessitate different methods of targeting and delivery.

The Bombing Run
The key to the success of any bomb drop is how well the pilot succeeds in placing his craft in the proper position to accurately drop the bomb. This is known as the bombing run. The bombing run requires a Piloting Skill roll and takes 1 round to set up, although a pilot may use the Preparation rule if there is time available. The difficulty of setting up for the bombing run is based on the type of bombing being done, so use the following tables to determine the result:
    Type of Bombing Run = Base Difficulty
    Unguided = Easy
    Guided = Very Easy
    Vertical Swoop = Moderate
Compare the result of the Skill Roll to the following table:
    Roll Result = Effect
    Failed by 5 or more = Too far off angle for successful bomb delivery. Must come around for another pass.
    Failed by <5 = Bad angle. Pilot may still attempt bombing run at -2D to Gunnery
    Succeed by <10 = Good angle. Pilot may attack as normal
    Succeed by 10 or more = Dead on. Pilot receives +1D bonus to Gunnery.
Note that the base Difficulty is just a base. Adverse conditions and enemy fire can greatly increase the difficulty of a successful bombing run.

Unguided Bombs
    1) Make appropriate Gunnery Skill roll, modified by Scale to hit target and any bonuses or penalties.

3) If the Gunnery roll succeeds, resolve damage as normal.

4) If the Gunnery roll fails, use the Grenade Scatter chart to determine direction, and the Scatter Distance stat for the bomb to determine how far off target the bomb hit (and the reduction of damage to the target itself).

Note: Multiple unguided bombs may be dropped in close succession, increasing the chances of a single bomb hitting its target. Use standard coordination rules to determine the To Hit Bonus (+1D for the first 3 bombs, and +1 for every additional). This does not add to the difficulty of the shot, but the number of bombs dropped must be declared prior to the shot. Note that some circumstances may prevent the dropping of multiple bombs, such as close proximity of friendly forces or minimization of collateral damage.
Vertical Swoop Bombing
    1) Use the same procedure as Unguided Bombing Runs, but at Moderate Difficulty.

2) After dropping the bomb, the pilot must pull out of the vertical dive to avoid crashing. The Difficulty of this Maneuver is dictated by the altitude at which the bomb was dropped. Use the following chart to generate Piloting Difficulty:
      Range = Piloting Difficulty
      Long = Moderate
      Medium = Difficult
      Short = Very Difficult
      Point Blank = Heroic

Note: Multiple bombs may be fired in a single Vertical Swoop, but each bomb fired increases the Difficulty of the Pull-Up Piloting Roll by 1 level.
Guided Bombing Run
    1) Lock-On is required to use a Guided Bomb to its full ability. Guided bombs launched without a Lock-On must be treated as Unguided Bombs. To Lock-On in Atmosphere, divide your Search Range by 10, then convert to kilometers. Lock-On requires an Easy Sensors roll, and must be held for at least one round prior to dropping the bomb. In some circumstances, Lock-On may be provided by a remote designator, such as another fighter or a special forces team.

2) Use the same procedure as Unguided Bombing Runs, but at Very Easy Difficulty.

Note: Lock-On may guide only one bomb at a time.

Moving Targets
Bombs are best used against stationary targets, but may, of necessity, sometimes be used against moving targets. To represent the increased Difficulty of firing a bomb at a moving target, use the Target Speed Difficulty Modifier rules under Missiles, Torpedoes and Bombs in the 2R&E Rulebook. Guided bombs are exempt from this rule, so long as their Lock-On is maintained.

TYPES OF BOMBS

Proton Bomb
Cost: 500
Fire Control: 1D
Range: 100m-200m/300m/700m
Scatter Distance: 2D / 5D / 10D
Damage: 9D (If dropped at Point Blank Range, bomber takes 5D Starfighter-Scale damage)

Cluster Bomb
Cost: 1800
Fire Control: 3D
Range: 100m-200m/300m/700m
Scatter Distance: 1D/2D/3D
Damage: 6D

Guided Bomb
Cost: 2000
Fire Control: 4D
Range: 500m-1km/1.5km/2.5km
Scatter Distance: 1D/1D+1/1D+2
Damage: 8D

Space Bomb (In Atmosphere)
Cost: 1500
Fire Arc: Front (can only be dropped using Vertical Swoop technique)
Skill: Starship Gunnery
Fire Control: 1D
Range: 200m-400m/800m/1.5km
Scatter Distance: 2D / 6D / 11D
Damage: 10D

Notes:
Range - The Range stat represents altitude above the target, not horizontal distance.
Size - When calculating ordnance capacity for a starfighter, assume all the above weapons are approximately equal in size to a standard proton torpedo.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPACE MINES
Space Mines are not a weapon in common usage by starfighters. To be truly effective, mines must be laid in the hundreds or thousands, and individual starfighters lack that sort of capacity. However, a single mine can be very effective at ambushing pursuing starfighters or capital ships, and thus some starfighter missions will carry a small number of space mines to be dropped on the way out-system after the strike to destroy or delay pursuing forces.

Deploying Mines
Successfully deploying a single mine to strike an enemy vessel is almost impossible outside of a straight-line pursuit. For the sake of simplicity, use the following steps:
    1) Roll Starship Gunnery to deploy the mine. Base Difficulty is Moderate. Compare result to following chart:
      Roll </> Difficulty = Result
      Roll fails by 5 or more = Mine is too poorly placed to intercept the target.
      Roll fails by <5 = Mine is out of position, but may still attack at +5 Difficulty.
      Roll succeeds by <10 = Mine is in position and may attack normally.
      Roll succeeds by 10 or more = Mine is perfectly placed, and attacks at -5 Difficulty.

2) Enemy ship may roll Mechanical or Sensors to detect mine (Detection Difficulty is listed under the mine stats).
      Success = The mine is detected in time to alter course and avoid the mine (however, this often causes the enemy ship to temporarily break off pursuit to maneuver around the mine). Alternately, the pursuer may attempt to shoot down the mine, but it is as difficult to target as it is to detect.
      Failure = Mine is not detected. Go to the next round.

3) At the beginning of the next round, the enemy ship may make another Mechanical or Sensors roll to detect the mine.
      Success = The mine is detected, but not in time to avoid it (mine attacks as normal, but target vessel can roll to dodge).
      Failure = The mine is not detected and makes a sneak attack

Mine Types:

Homing Mine
Cost: 6,000
Description: Essentially a dead drop Stalker Torpedo, this weapon locks onto a target vessel and homes on it at high speed.
Base Attack Difficulty: Easy
Detection Difficulty: Very Difficult
All Other Stats: See Stalker Torpedo

Cluster Mine
Cost: 2,000
Description: This area effect weapon detonates in a shower of explosive pellets that detonate on impact. It is most effective against starfighters flying in close formation (which Imperial starfighters usually do).
Base Attack Difficulty: Moderate
Detection Difficulty: Very Difficult
Damage: 6D (Affects all ships occupying 1 SU equally)

Laser Mine
Cost: 3,000
Description: This weapon uses bomb-pumped laser technology to fire a powerful, uni-directional blast of energy. Is extremely short ranged, but inflicts massive damage, and is best used against capital ships.
Base Attack Difficulty: Difficult
Detection Difficulty: Difficult
Damage: 11D

Ion Mine
Cost: 3,000
Description: Similar to the Laser Mine, the Ion Mine detonates in a cone of ionized plasma that disrupts electronics (ionization damage).
Base Attack Difficulty: Difficult
Detection Difficulty: Difficult
Damage: 8D (ionization)

Note: Other types of mines exist, including massive Capital-Scale mines, but starfighters can only carry these externally.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added an additional rule to Capital Ship Anti-Starfighter Defenses section.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, apart from a few more stats, that is everything I planned on including. If anyone can think of something that I missed, let me know.

I know this is a lot of material, but I tried to design rules that did not require the use of the entire system, so that individual GMs may pick and choose which rules they wish to use. Remember, you don't have to use all of this, or even any of this. My goal is simply to give you the option of including what you want in your own campaign.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CHANGES TO EXISTING STARFIGHTER STATS:
Obviously, such extensive rules for differing ordnance types also change things up for existing starfighter stats. A lot of these are purely conjectural thinking on my part, but here is my list of suggested changes.

Y-Wing (EDIT: Note: Regular Y-Wing only, not the Longbow)
Add 1 Bomb Chute w/ capacity for 8 bombs

A-Wing
Change Dual Laser Cannon to Dual Autoblasters.
Add 2 Concussion Missile Launchers w/ 6 rounds each

TIE Bomber
Change Concussion Missile Launcher to 2 Warhead Launchers w/ capacity for 8 torpedo-sized weapons (or 16 missile-sized; can mix and match) each.

TIE/gt
Change Concussion Missile Launcher to Warhead Launcher w/ capacity for 8 torpedo-sized weapons (or 16 missile-sized; can mix and match).

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ANTI-EMITTER ("HAYWIRE") MISSILES

Haywire missiles are a relatively recent development. As coordinated starfighter strikes became more common, the need to suppress enemy air defenses became more and more important. Elite starfighter units were assigned to pre-strike defense suppression missions, engaging enemy units by attacking weapon emplacements, early warning sensors and fire control guidance units. The premier weapon used by these units is officially the Mag-Pulse Anti-Emitter Warhead, but is more popularly known as the Haywire Warhead. Essentially a Mag-Pulse Warhead with a Stalker Guidance System, the weapon can be locked onto any active signal, whether it is sensors, communications or fire control, and will home on that target and detonate at close range, with the mag-pulse warhead inflicting major damage on fragile electronic systems. The only solution is to deactivate all active emissions and go silent, but this is no protection for fixed installations, as the Haywire warhead will continue to track on backup and inertial guidance.

Haywire weapons are most commonly paired with A-Wings or Y-Wing Longprobes. A-Wings can dash in at high speed under protection of their fire control jamming suite to deliver haywire warheads at close range, while Longprobes can use their powerful sensors to attack from longer range, and their ordnance capacity allows them to carry an impressive number of torpedoes. EDIT: Haywire Missiles are also standard armament (along with Stalker Missiles) aboard R-Wing Stealth Fighters.

Haywire Missile
Cost: 5,000
Lock-On Time: 1 standard action
Fire Control: 6D
Space Range: 1-5/12/25
Atmosphere Range: 100m-500m/1.2km/2.5km
Duration: 4 rounds (Once duration ends, the missile runs out of fuel and self destructs).
Damage: 5D EMP damage (rolls like Ion Damage, but does not roll off, and must be repaired)
Note: This advanced weapon is fired without a Lock-On. It uses its own passive sensors to locate and track its target. Use the Smart Missile Table for Follow-Up Attacks. The missile has a skill equivalent of 4D, and its onboard sensors are rated at 3D. Because it does not require a lock-on, this missile is ideal for making surprise attacks.

Haywire Torpedo
Cost: 8,000
Lock-On Time: 1 round (Once Lock-On is achieved, torpedo can fire at beginning of next round)
Fire Control: 4D
Space Range: 1-5/18/36*
Atmosphere Range: 100m-500m/1.8km/3.6km*
*Hitting targets at Long Range takes 1 extra round
Duration: 8 rounds (Once duration ends, the missile runs out of fuel and self destructs).
Damage: 6D EMP damage (rolls like Ion Damage, but does not roll off, and must be repaired)
Note: This advanced weapon is fired without a Lock-On. It uses its own passive sensors to locate and track its target. Use the Smart Missile Table for Follow-Up Attacks. The missile has a skill equivalent of 4D, and its onboard sensors are rated at 3D. Because it does not require a lock-on, this missile is ideal for making surprise attacks.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:25 am; edited 3 times in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DECOYS & PROBES
These torpedo-sized devices are used for increasing the effectiveness of sensor coverage or, alternately, disrupting the effectiveness of enemy sensors. They operate on highly efficient drive systems, and are presumed to operate for the duration of the combat scene (or indefinitely, in the case of the Sensor Buoy).

Sensor Buoy
Cost: 1,500
Skill: Sensors (4D Skill Equivalent)
Sensors:
Passive: 10/0D
Scan: 20/1D
Search: 30/2D
Detection Difficulty: Difficult (Sensor Buoy is considered to be Running Silent if using Passive Sensors only).
Special Equipment:
Directional Transceiver (Allows the Sensor Buoy to communicate with its mothership while Running Silent, unless the enemy is in the same Fire Arc as the mothership).
Description: This small device is little more than a sensor package with a directional subspace transceiver and a solar power convertor. They are deployed in overlapping networks, and are commonly used to extend the sensor perimeter of a line or squadron of capital ships.

Sensor Probe
Cost: 5,000
Skill: Sensors (3D equivalent)
Maneuverability: 1D (3D Piloting skill equivalent)
Space: 6 (Can not be used in Atmosphere)
Sensors:
Passive: 10/0D
Scan: 20/1D
Detection Difficulty: Moderate (Sensor Buoy is considered to be Running Silent if using Passive Sensors only and traveling at Cautious Speed).
Special Equipment:
Directional Transceiver (Allows the Sensor Buoy to communicate with its mothership while Running Silent, unless the enemy is in the same Fire Arc as the mothership).
Description: Unlike the Sensor Buoy, this Sensor Drone is mobile, and is used to get sensor readings of areas too hazardous for manned craft to enter. While Sensor Probes are recovered in possible, they are considered expendable.

Trickster Decoy
Cost: 500
Skill: Starship Piloting (4D)
Maneuverability: 4D
Space: 10
Effect: Adds 2D to Sensors Difficulty to distinguish between the decoy and the ship that launched it. Can follow the launching craft's flight path or engage in a pre-programmed pattern, and can be given new instructions via comlink from the launching ship.

Mimic Decoy
Cost: 1,000
Skill: Starship Piloting (4D)
Maneuverability: 4D
Space: 10
Effect: Adds 2D to Sensors Difficulty to distinguish between the decoy and the ship that launched it. Can also be programmed to mimic other ship types (current preloaded profiles include a TIE/ln, a YT-1300 freighter, a Lambda-Class Shuttle or a Corellian Corvette. Creating new images requires the appropriate signal profile and a Moderate Droid Programming roll). Can follow the launching craft's flight path or engage in a pre-programmed pattern, and can be given new instructions via comlink from the launching ship.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Venerath
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of fun stuff going on here. I do have a request though:

Cost for replacement torpedo/concussion missile/bomb/whatever.

Cost for new systems.

I personally think the laser cannons you added to the ships are overpowered. Most capital ships rely on snubfighters to protect against other snubfighters. If the cannons are rocking 6D+, most of your fighters are going to get toasted in one hit unless they are an Xwing or Ywing.

Yes, 4D sounds low, but it is fine for most of the fighters out there. If the characters freighter proves too tough then it is fine for the captain/gunnery sergeant to begin coordinating his targets against them.

Lots of great work here, thanks for sharing!
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Venerath wrote:
Lots of fun stuff going on here. I do have a request though:

Cost for replacement torpedo/concussion missile/bomb/whatever.

Cost for new systems.

Feel free to offer suggestions: my strength is the rules, not how much it will cost

Quote:
I personally think the laser cannons you added to the ships are overpowered. Most capital ships rely on snubfighters to protect against other snubfighters. If the cannons are rocking 6D+, most of your fighters are going to get toasted in one hit unless they are an Xwing or Ywing.

Yes, 4D sounds low, but it is fine for most of the fighters out there. If the characters freighter proves too tough then it is fine for the captain/gunnery sergeant to begin coordinating his targets against them.

The math doesn't add up, though. The X, Y and B-Wings all have a soak of around 5D, counting shields, which means any cannon has to be around 6D or 7D to have a reasonable chance of inflicting damage. A 4D Laser Cannon would have to combine fire with a lot of other cannon (the number varies depending on which coordination method you use) to have a chance, and the minimal numbers of cannon mounted on capital ships are little more than a token defense. They are fine against older model starfighters, but not against front-line Alliance models. As such, upgrading the damage on laser cannon to realistic levels, as well as adding cannon to models without, is a good fix that doesn't throw off game balance.

After all, if a TIE/rc can have one laser cannon that inflicts 4D, there is no logical reason that a capital ship's laser cannon can't do the same.

EDIT: And if a single laser cannon inflicts 4D, it is a logical assumption that a dual or quad laser cannon will inflict more.

Venerath
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All very valid points. For newer ships, I would agree. For older ships (like Victory Class) I don't think less damage would be amiss. Most of the starfighters were only rocking 3 or 4D in damage, even with fire linked cannons. (Like the early Tie Starfighter).

I would love to see some weights for equipment. I am sure more than a few freighter captains would be interested in picking up electronic countermeasures to deal with some of the very nasty surprises you have here.

If you are interested, I can work on some possible costs/weights. Not a problem if you don't want to head that route either.

I love options for my players, you have certainly thrown out plenty!
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Venerath wrote:
All very valid points. For newer ships, I would agree. For older ships (like Victory Class) I don't think less damage would be amiss. Most of the starfighters were only rocking 3 or 4D in damage, even with fire linked cannons. (Like the early Tie Starfighter).

Actually, the reason has more to do with a failure to update stats as WEG upgraded the rules. Under 1E (IIRC), if you got in a hit, even if you didn't succeed on the damage roll, you still inflicted at least a controls ionized result. As such, it didn't really matter if the damage was low, as you would at least get some result. On top of that, WEG didn't include fire arcs in 1E, so if a cap ship had 10 laser cannon, all 10 of them could coordinate on the same target. By changing the damage chart and breaking the guns up into fire arcs, WEG essentially emasculated cap ship anti-starfighter weapons without upgrading the weapons themselves to keep things in balance.

Quote:
I would love to see some weights for equipment. I am sure more than a few freighter captains would be interested in picking up electronic countermeasures to deal with some of the very nasty surprises you have here.

If you are interested, I can work on some possible costs/weights. Not a problem if you don't want to head that route either.

My focus here was for starfighter weapons, and I made a point of matching everything to existing equipment as much as possible. The missiles and torpedoes are designed to fit standard launchers, and the external pod system (which I am still working on) specifically avoids weight for simplicity's sake.

If you'd like to put in the work, I'd like to see a Cost / Availability list. Equipment weights are designed more for freighter scale craft.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made an adjustment to my proposed Ion Cannon vs. Shields rule, changing the recharge rate of the Shields from 2D per round to 1D, which is more in keeping with existing rules for ion cannon (Controls Ionized results roll off at -1D per round, so using the same number will simplify things for everyone involved).

Ning Leihrec
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it make sense to determine certain small scale "weak points" on cap ships which would resist starfighter attacks with less than full hull? I'm thinking of the A-wing that blew up the shield generator on the ssd in rotj. Are there existing rules governing this in the raw or previous house rule posts?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ning Leihrec wrote:
Does it make sense to determine certain small scale "weak points" on cap ships which would resist starfighter attacks with less than full hull? I'm thinking of the A-wing that blew up the shield generator on the ssd in rotj. Are there existing rules governing this in the raw or previous house rule posts?

The closest the RAW gets are the precision targeting rules found in Pirates & Privateers (IIRC).

EDIT: You could also utilize some variation of the RoE optional damage rule from the SpecForce Handbook, so that a more accurate shot inflicts more damage...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: