The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Archive/Feedback for Advanced Starfighter Combat Project
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Archive/Feedback for Advanced Starfighter Combat Project Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:

Mass Driver
Mass Drivers use gravity pressors or electromagnetic coils to accelerate a stream of solid metal darts to extreme velocities. In a world of high-powered energy weapons, the mass driver is relatively outclassed as a starfighter mounted weapons, with relatively low damage and range. The primary reason it remains in use is that the gun has a minimal sensor signature when firing, so the cannon remains useful for stealth fighters and other ambush applications.
Space Range: 1-3/7/15
Atmosphere Range: 100m-300m/700m/1.5km
Base Damage:
-Light: 1D
-Medium: 2D
-Heavy: 3D
Rate of Fire: 1D Auto-Fire (Can be applied to Fire Control or Damage at Point Blank and Short Range, or to Fire Control only at Medium or Long Range, but Gunner must declare which before the shot)

Hmm that max range is about the Verpine shatter gun. What looks like a pistol.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That range is in SU's

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I'm working on a list of costs for weapons, based off various RAW sources, supplemented by the Wing Pylon Rules at RPGGamer.org. I'm going to go through and edit all of the posted stats so far to include prices.

However, there is almost no information available in the RAW as to Availability for missiles and torpedoes, so for that, you are just going to have to wing it. The requirements of your story and campaign will be the best way to determine Availability; if you want your characters to have access to something, make it happen.

Also, I'll be posting the rules for the External Pods for starfighters here in a day or so. I have some promising ideas I want to chase down for the group tactics, but I'm going to get the rest of this nailed down before I tackle it.

EDIT: Prices added to all ordnance stats.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many starfighters are designed to be fitted with external pods to carry additional, non-standard equipment. The pods negatively affect a fighter's performance, and are generally only included if the mission needs outweigh the performance penalty. For simplicity's sake, pods come in two sizes: Standard and Large.

I. STANDARD PODS (-1 Speed, Hull & Maneuverability per Pod carried, unless otherwise noted)
Targeting
Cost: 6,000
Effect: Allows the pilot to designate targets in any fire arc, usually in concert with ordnance being delivered by another ship.
Sensors:
Search: 75/3D
Focus: 4/5D

Terrain Following
Cost: 4,000
Effect: Incorporates an omniprobe terrain following sensor to enhance a pilot's ability to operate at low altitude (nape-of-the-earth).
Bonus: +2D to Piloting at low altitudes.

Navigation
Cost: 1,000
Effect: Contains a 10-jump navicomputer (in addition to the ship's standard navicomputer, if any).

Ferry
Effect: Increases Consumables by 3 days.
Penalty: -2 Hull

Cargo
Cost: 200
Effect: Can carry up to 500 kg of cargo. Is also equipped with a small parachute and an encoded beacon, which is useful for delivering supplies to special operations teams.
Penalty: Hazardous cargos may impart additional Hull penalties at GM's discretion.

Warhead Launcher
Cost: 2,500
Effect: Contains a Warhead Launcher with capacity for 6 Missiles or 3 Torpedoes / Bombs.

Stand-Off Intercept Missile
See above for stats

Shield-Buster Torpedo
See above for stats

Penetrator Missile
See below for stats

Auto-Blaster
Cost: 4,000
Ammo: 20
All Other Stats: See Heavy Auto-Blaster.

Ion Cannon
Cost: 3,000
Ammo: 10
All Other Stats: See Heavy Ion Cannon.

Mass Driver
Ammo: 20
All Other Stats: See Heavy Mass Driver.

II. HEAVY PODS (-2 Speed, Hull & Maneuverability per Pod carried)
Surveillance
Cost: 8,000
Effect: Incorporates a powerful comm/scan package that greatly increases the starfighter's sensor range.
Sensors:
Passive: 60/1D
Scan: 80/2D
Search: 120/3D
Focus: 4/4D
Note: When using this pod, a starfighter must shut down its stock sensors and divert the power to the pod for it to function.

Electronic Warfare
Effect: Incorporates a Broad Spectrum Jamming Array that allows the starfighter to jam a target's communications, sensors and/or fire control systems with a single pod.
Sensors:
Passive: 30/1D
Scan: 60/2D
Search: 90/3D
Focus: 3/4D
Jamming Rules:
Effect: When jamming, add Sensor Dice values to a target's Sensor Difficulty (+2D if Jamming multiple arcs, +3D if Jamming a single fire arc, +4D if Jamming a single target)
Modifiers:
+1D if Jamming in one mode only (Communications, Sensors or Fire Control)
-1D if Jamming in All Three Modes at once (Communications, Sensors and Fire Control)
-2D if Jamming a Capital Ship
Note: When using this pod, a starfighter must shut down its stock sensors and divert the power to the pod for it to function.

Minesweeping
Effect: This pod features a specialized sensor array that is specifically tuned to detect mines. It is used in combination with a Standard Pod that carries an EVA drone that clears mines by placing a thermal detonator in close proximity to the mine, the detonating it from a safe distance.
Sensors:
Passive: 50/0D
Scan: 75/1D
Search: 100/2D
Focus: 4/3D
Special: +1D+2 to all Sensor rolls to detect mines.

Sensor Mask
Cost: 100,000
Effect: This expensive and rare experimental pod uses a sensor mask to help conceal the starfighter's presence from sensors.
Bonus: +2D to Sensor Difficulty to detect the ship.
Note: When using this pod, a starfighter must shut down its combat shields and divert the power to the pod for it to function.

Navigation
Cost: 2,000
Effect: As Standard Navigation Pod, but incorporates an Unlimited Jump Navicomputer.

Ferry
Cost: 1,600
Effect: As Standard Ferry Pod, but adds 5 days of Consumables.
Penalty: -1D Hull

In-Flight Refueling
Cost: 3,200
Effect: Allows the starfighter to recharge the consumables of starfighters and similar craft while in flight. Carries three days of Consumables for transfer, but this may be augmented by carrying Ferry Pods.
Description: Uses a short-range tractor beam to lock onto other starfighters and hold them steady. EVA droids then haul extendable transfer hoses across and connect them to perform the transfer. Transfer times are generally 1 minute for every day of consumables.

Cargo
Cost: 400
Effect: As Standard Cargo Pod, but can carry up to 1 metric ton.
Penalty: Hazardous cargos may impart additional Hull penalties at GM's discretion.

Multi-Warhead Launcher
Cost: 3,500
Effect: Contains a Warhead Launcher with capacity for 12 Missiles or 6 Torpedoes / Bombs.

Anti-Ship Torpedo
See above for stats

Targeter Missile
See below for stats

Turbolaser
Cost: 9,000
Fire Rate: 1/2
Ammo: 10
All Other Stats: See Turbolaser.

Tractor Beam Projector
Ammo: 10 rounds
All Other Stats: See Heavy Tractor Beam Projector.

III. POD MOUNTS BY STARFIGHTER CLASS
A-Wing: 1 Standard
B-Wing: 2 Standard
K-Wing: 4 Heavy, 8 Standard (may ignore first -3D/-6 of penalties)
X-Wing: 2 Standard
Y-Wing: 1 Heavy, 2 Standard
TIE Advanced: 2 Standard
TIE Bomber: 2 Standard
TIE Interceptor: None
TIE/ln: None
Scimitar: 2 Heavy, 4 Standard (may ignore first -2D/-4 of penalties)
Z-95: 2 Standard

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:52 pm; edited 4 times in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I literally have just one thing left to do: the Wingman Rules, which I will be working on tomorrow, since I'm pretty sure how I want to do it...

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These occurred to me while reading one of the Honor Harrington novels. Missile barrages in that universe are seeded with specialized missiles that increase the effectiveness of a missile or torpedo barrage while not carrying warheads themselves. Here are a couple possibilities:

Penetrator Missile
Cost: 15,000
Description: This missile is used to augment a massed torpedo or missile attack. Instead of a warhead, the missile carries an array of fire control jammers and decoy projectors. This has the effect of degrading the effectiveness of the defender's point defenses (see above).
Effect: Reduces the Massed Defense against Massed Attack Table Penalty by 2D.

Targeter Missile
Cost: 20,000
Description: This missile is used to augment a massed torpedo or missile attack. Instead of a warhead, the missile carries a sensor and fire control package that helps boost the accuracy of other missiles during their terminal guidance phase. During the approach, the missile behaves much like a Stalker missile, tracking the target with passive sensors. In the final seconds before impact, it goes into active lock-on mode, serving as a target designator for other ordnance.
Effect: +2D to Fire Control when firing a massed attack with missiles or torpedoes.

Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well written. A lot of work went into this.

There are definitely some ideas I plan on adopting.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
Well written. A lot of work went into this.

There are definitely some ideas I plan on adopting.

Thanks. I'm still chewing on some ideas for maneuvers and such...

Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean like stunt maneuvers and such?

I had this idea I used in a different home-brew game;

Say you're being tailed, so you undertake a stunt;

be it a loop, barrel roll or buzz close to a structure etc...

You have a set difficulty to perform the maneuver.

Whoever is tailing has to make the same maneuver at +5 difficulty (because the first pilot knew about it and planned it, the second is reacting.)

There was the option for the first pilot to increase the difficulty...turning tighter, doing it faster, flying closer. The tailing pilot always has that additional +5.

So the first pilot wants to do something she knows she can just barely accomplish, so the pursuer will likely not.

And then have the consequences for failure...
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
Do you mean like stunt maneuvers and such?

No, I'm talking about a realistic way to represent starfighter combat while operating with a wingman. As far as individual maneuvers are concerned, the Rebel Alliance Sourcebook covers the majority of the one-on-one starfighter stuff (several of them are direct copies of real-life ACM).

At the moment, I'm encountering so many variations on the theme that I'm considering making a separate results table for operating in pairs, as much of the success of paired operations seems to be geared towards one half of the pair acting as bait to lure the enemy into a position where the other half of the pair has a shot at him.

But I want to get the details just right. I'm strongly feeling it needs to be based on both Tactics and Piloting, especially since there definitely seems to be more tactical flexibility when both pilots are skilled and experienced (as opposed to one experienced and one rookie).

Quote:
I had this idea I used in a different home-brew game;

Say you're being tailed, so you undertake a stunt;

Take it from the Red Baron...
Manfred von Richthofen wrote:
"The great thing in air fighting is that the decisive factor does not lie in trick flying but solely in the personal ability and energy of the aviator. A flying man may be able to loop and do all the stunts imaginable and yet he may not succeed in shooting down a single enemy.

Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Take it from the Red Baron...
Manfred von Richthofen wrote:
"The great thing in air fighting is that the decisive factor does not lie in trick flying but solely in the personal ability and energy of the aviator. A flying man may be able to loop and do all the stunts imaginable and yet he may not succeed in shooting down a single enemy.

Well...far be it from me to argue with the Baron...

But in shooting we use the adage "Speed is Fine; but accuracy is Final."

(But speed sure doesn't hurt once the accuracy is a given.) Smile
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone listens to LV, methinks....
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Someone listens to LV, methinks....

What's LV stand for?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking for a way to incorporate relative ship speed into starship combat, since it is a definite factor, and can be a decisive one. While I'm not sure that any rule can be both easy to use and a realistic representation of the way speed is used in real life fighter combat, I think I've come up with a good possibility.

Because of the way acceleration and deceleration work in 2R&E, it's rather cumbersome to keep track of along with everything else. What I'm thinking is, for the purposes of combat movement only, to revert to the old 1E Speed Codes and use them to generate combat ranges in a dog fight.

Here's the basic idea:
    1). Compare your Starship's Space to the following Chart (if you can't remember what its 1E Speed Code was):
      2 = 1D
      3 = 1D+2
      4 = 2D
      5 = 2D+2
      6 = 3D
      7 = 3D+2
      8 = 4D
      9 = 4D+2
      10 = 5D
      11 = 5D+2
      12 = 6D

2). Once you've made the opposed Starfighter Piloting skill rolls on the Combat Positioning result chart above, roll opposed Speed Code dice on the following charts:
      Attacker Wins By # = Range in SU's
      0-3 = 15
      4-6 = 10
      7-9 = 5
      10+ = 1 (generally Point Blank for All Weapons)

Defender Wins By # = Range in SU's*
      1-3 = 20
      4-6 = 25
      7-9 = 30
      10+ = 35
      *A Speed win by the Defender can actually put its craft out of range of the Attacker for that round.

3). Use the generated range to resolve the attacks as permitted by the result on the Combat Positioning Chart.

This isn't written in stone yet; I just wanted to get it out there for discussion. I think the basic premise is sound, but I'm not exactly sure how the numbers match up. There is also room for speed and positioning providing bonuses to the next round's rolls, but I'd like to get the basic premise in place before I focus on that.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regards to the Speed-Generates-Range rule above, I'm strongly inclined to allow the pilots to stack their Combat Maneuvering Advanced Skill dice (see page 1) with the Speed Code dice, so that the pilot's skill remains a factor, but not so much that it completely overshadows the ships' relative speeds.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: