The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Archive/Feedback for Advanced Starfighter Combat Project
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Archive/Feedback for Advanced Starfighter Combat Project Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really see a Capital Ship analog to this because Starfighter Combat is generally a single character performing both the piloting and the gunnery. The cap-ship equivalent requires dozens or hundreds of crew working together in coordination to effectively fight the ship.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Giving this a bump, as there is renewed interest in a Rogue Squadron / Wraith Squadron / X-Wing Sourcebook on a couple Facebook communities, and I've committed to doing the combat rules and starfighter stats.

I'm curious about this. I especially want to see the ship stats for all the things in the X-Wing and TIE Fighter video games. 8)
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of it's already in this thread: space bombs, heavy rockets, rules for guided missiles and torpedoes...

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, as part of an update to this rule system, and in connection with my updated Lock-On rules, I'm working on an updated list of ordnance, reverting to more standard stats (Fire Control, Range, Damage) etc, with the official WEG stats being used for when a weapon is fired "dumb" (without a Lock-On).

I'm mostly doing this post to get my thoughts in order to start actually writing the stats, as well as to solicit feedback.
    I. Light Missiles
    Guided (Semi-Active Homing)
    Homing Missile (Passive Homing)
    Haywire Missile (Passive Homing w/ Mag-Pulse Warhead)
    Rocket (Heavy Warhead w/ Lower FC))

II. Standard Missiles
    Guided (Semi-Active Homing)
    Smart (Semi-Active Homing w/ Self-Guiding Backup)
    Haywire Missile (Passive Homing w/ Mag-Pulse Warhead)
    Heavy Rocket
    Torpedo (Proton / Ion)
    Space Bombs (Unitary / Cluster)
    Sensor Probe
    Trickster Decoy

III. Gravity Bombs & Space Mines
    Proton Bomb
    Cluster Bomb
    Guided Bomb
    Homing Mine
    Cluster Mine
    Laser Mine
    Ion Mine
    Sensor Buoy

IV. Heavy Missiles & Pods
    Interceptor Missile (Stand-Off Anti-Starfighter)
    Penetrator Missile
    Auto-Blaster*
    Ion Cannon*
    Mass Driver*
    Targeting Pod
    Terrain Following Pod
    Navigation Pod
    Ferry Pod
    Cargo Pod

V. Super-Heavy Missiles & Pods
    Anti-Ship Missile
    Anti-Ship Torpedo
    Shield-Buster Torpedo
    Targeter Missile
    Warhead Launch Pod*
    Turbolaser*
    Tractor Beam Projector*
    Surveillance Pod
    Jamming Pod
    Minesweeping Pod
    Navigation Pod
    Sensor Mask Pod
    Ferry Pod
    Replenishment Pod
    Cargo Pod

*I included these pod weapons for the sake of completeness, but they're only going to be available as options for the K-Wing, with the explanation being that the K- is fitted with augmented pod mounts that are better equipped to deal with the stresses of firing weapons.

Some key changes:
    1) Missiles and Torpedoes are now distinctly different types of weapons, with missiles being fast and fragile, while torpedoes are slower and shorter ranged, but (due to their protective energy sheath) much tougher and optimized for penetrating shields.

2) Unlike my earlier stats, all guided weapons will still be capable of firing without Lock-On, but at the expense of Range and Fire Control.

MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The more brains, the less boom. The more boom, the less brains."
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still mulling this over, and one alternative that strongly suggests itself is, rather than having a few different missiles and torpedoes with differing guidance systems, folding all of the guidance options into a single package, which the pilot can then select from prior to actual launch. So, a single Missile could be fired in Guided Mode (semi-active, against a target designated by the launching ship's Active Sensor Lock-On), Homing Mode (passive fire-and-forget, designated by the launching ship's Passive Sensors) or Inertial Mode (no guidance at all; the weapon simply flies in a straight line until it hits something and blows up).

Short version, rather than discrete guidance systems for different functions (ala what we have here in the real world), I'm thinking SWU guidance systems should be all-in-one, with the firing mode pre-selected by the pilot at the time of launch.

An additional thought, to bring this more in line with the canon, would be to have different terms for the weapons w/r/t guidance and drive package, like so:
    Missile - Fast and fragile, designed to hit maneuverable targets.
    Rocket - Same frame as Missile, but with larger warhead at expense of Fire Control and Maneuverability, used to hit more heavily armored targets.
    Torpedo - Slower than missiles, and inflicts less damage than rockets, but is more durable and better adapted to penetrate shields.
    Bomb - Inertially propelled, but inflicts even heavier damage than Rockets
The major difference would be in the types of warheads:
    Missiles
      -Concussion - Normal Damage
      -Mag-Pulse - Ionization Damage
    Rockets
      -Concussion - Normal Damage
      -Mag-Pulse - Ionization Damage
      -Cluster - Normal Damage with higher Fire Control, lower Damage
    Torpedoes
      -Proton - Normal Damage
      -Ion - Ionization Damage
      -Plasma - Normal Damage + Fire (Optional; haven't really thought this one all the way through yet)
    Bombs
      -Proton - Normal Damage
      -Ion - Ionization Damage
      -Cluster - Normal, with higher Fire Control, Lower Damage
From there, the different types would be broken down again by weight, with different launchers able to accommodate different "weights" of weapons. An A-Wing, for example, would be able to mount only Light Missiles and Rockets, while the larger launchers on the X-, Y- and B-Wings could accommodate Medium Missiles, Rockets, Torpedoes or Space Bombs, as well as Light Missiles and Rockets (using an adapter sleeve to fit the smaller diameter weapons into the larger magazines).

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would anyone be interested in rules for Plasma Torpedoes that inflict Fire Damage to ships and vehicles? Honestly, the rules are pretty much already there, they'd just Scale Up as appropriate. The idea being that Plasma Weapons create such intense heat that it actually spontaneously combusts the material of the target, thus causing a fire.

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Would anyone be interested in rules for Plasma Torpedoes that inflict Fire Damage to ships and vehicles? Honestly, the rules are pretty much already there, they'd just Scale Up as appropriate. The idea being that Plasma Weapons create such intense heat that it actually spontaneously combusts the material of the target, thus causing a fire.

Is this an atmospheric weapon? I wouldn't think that it would be too effective in space with no oxygen to fuel the fire.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More likely some technobabble ultra-hot, self-oxygenating chemical that burns even in a vacuum. Because Star Wars. And based on my fire rules, the fire will either destroy the ship or burn itself out in a couple rounds, so if your explanation is that it burned out because it lacked sufficient oxidizer to keep burning, then that works, too.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, here is where I'm currently at with Starship-Scale ordnance:

Light Missiles, Torpedoes & Rockets
    This class of weapons are smaller in size than Standard weapons, and are usually carried by light or inexpensive starfighters. Light weapons can be loaded into and launched from larger-diameter Standard Launchers by fitting them with an adapter. The adapter remains in the launcher once the weapon is fired, and is reusable. In game terms, ships equipped with Concussion Missile Launchers can only be loaded with Light Ordnance.

Homing Missile
    Fire Control: 5D
    Range:
    --Space: 1-5/10/20
    --Atmosphere: 100m-500m/1km/2km
    Damage:
    --Concussion: 6D
    --Mag-Pulse: 5D (Ionization)
    --Haywire: 5D (Ionization); +2D to Fire Control if Target is using Active Sensors or transmitting on Comms that round.
    Interception: Heroic (Body 1D)

Guided Missile
    Fire Control: 3D (7D w/ Lock-On)
    Range (Lock-On):
    --Space: 1-3/8/15 (2-6/16/30)
    --Atmosphere: 100m-300m/800m/1.5km (200m-600m/1.6km/3km)
    Damage:
    --Targeting Beacon (On a successful Hit, friendly ships receive +2D to Fire Control when targeting the affected ship).
    Interception: Heroic (Body 1D)

Light Rocket
    Fire Control: 2D (4D w/ Lock-On)
    Range (Lock-On):
    --Space: 1-2/5/10 (1-3/7/15)
    --Atmosphere: 100m-200m/500m/1km (100m-300m/700m/1.5km)
    Damage:
    --Concussion: 8D
    --Mag-Pulse: 7D (Ionization)
    --Plasma: 7D (Fire)
    --Cluster: 5D (+3D to Fire Control)
    Interception: Very Difficult (Body 1D)

Light Torpedo
    Fire Control: 2D (6D w/ Lock-On)
    Range:
    --Space: 1/3/7 (1-2/6/14)
    --Atmosphere: 100m/300m/700m (100m-200m/600m/1.4km)
    Damage:
    --Proton: 8D
    --Ion: 7D (Ionization)
    Interception: Very Difficult (Body 4D)
    Special: ENERGY SHEATH
      Torpedoes are enveloped in an energy field that both protects the torpedo and helps penetrate a target's defensive energy shields. In game terms, a Torpedo may ignore up to 3D of a target's Shields (factoring in Scale Modifiers), and receives a +3D to Body to resist Damage (already included in Body Stat).

Defense Missile
    Fire Control: 9D
    Range:
    --Space: 0-1/2/3
    --Atmosphere: 0m-100m/200m/300m
    Damage: 3D
    Interception: Heroic +10 (Body 1D)
    Note: This missile is optimized for point defense use against attacking ordnance, sacrificing range and damage for speed and accuracy. While it can be used against starfighters and other craft, it is very poorly suited to do so.

Standard Missiles, Torpedoes & Rockets
    Standard weapons are the most common and diverse type of powered ordnance. In game terms, ships equipped with Proton Torpedo Launchers can be loaded with any Standard Ordnance, and can also fire Light Ordnance by use of an adapter which allows the smaller weapons to mate with the magazine and launch tube.

Intercept Missile
    Range (Lock-On):
    --Space: 1-5/12/25 (2-10/24/50)
    Damage:

Smart Missile
    Range (Lock-On):
    --Space: 1-3/8/15 (2-6/16/30)
    Damage:
    Special: FOLLOW-UP ATTACK
      The Smart Missile is a Fire & Forget weapon that will continue to track its target if it misses the initial attack. To use this rule, the initial attack must be made with a Sensor Lock on the target. If the initial attack misses, compare the result to the following table:
        Missed By = Result
        <10 = Weapon is still homing, and may attack at Short Range the next round.
        10-20 = Weapon is out of position, but still in range. May not attack its target next round, but can attack at Medium in the round after next.
        21+ = Weapon has lost lock and can not re-engage. Safety settings engage and the weapon self destructs.
      Smart Missiles have six rounds of fuel. At the end of the sixth round, the weapon self destructs.

Rocket
    Fire Control: 1D (3D w/ Lock-On)
    Range (Lock-On):
    --Space: 1-2/5/10 (1-3/7/15)
    --Atmosphere: 100m-200m/500m/1km (100m-300m/700m/1.5km)
    Damage:
    --Concussion: 9D
    --Mag-Pulse: 8D (Ionization)
    --Plasma: 8D (Fire)
    --Cluster: 6D (+3D to Fire Control)
    Interception: Difficult (Body 1D)

Torpedo
    Fire Control: 1D (5D w/ Lock-On)
    Range (Lock-On):
    Damage:
    --Proton: 9D
    --Ion: 8D (Ionization)
    Interception: Difficult (Body 4D)
      Torpedoes are enveloped in an energy field that both protects the torpedo and helps penetrate a target's defensive energy shields. In game terms, a Torpedo may ignore up to 3D of a target's Shields (factoring in Scale Modifiers), and receives a +3D to Body to resist Damage (already included in Body Stat).

Space Bomb
    Range (Lock-On):
    --Space: 1/2/5 (1-2/3/7)
    --Atmosphere: 200m-400m/800m/1.5km (300m-500m/1km/2km)
    Damage:
    --Proton: 10D Point
    --Ion: 9D (Ionization) Point
    Interception: Difficulty based on the launch range, Body 1D. Once the bomb is launched, the pilot must make a Piloting skill roll against the same Difficulty to avoid crashing into the target.
      Long = Easy
      Medium = Moderate
      Short = Difficult
      Point Blank = Very Difficult
    Special: STAND-OFF ATTACK
      When used against a stationary target in space (space stations, disabled ships, etc), Space Bombs can be launched from much greater range, as the target can't maneuver to avoid the bomb. When firing on a stationary target, use the following Range values:
        Range (Lock-On): 2-10/20/40 (4-20/40/80)
      When fired in this mode, the Space Bomb can be intercepted Very Easy Difficulty, so this method is generally only used against targets that lack point defense weaponry.
    Special: VERTICAL SWOOP
      While designed for use in space, the Space Bomb can be used against ground targets through the use of a diving attack called a Vertical Swoop. To perform this maneuver, the pilot must make a Piloting roll against Terrain +10, then compare the result to the following table:
        Roll Result = Effect
        Failed by more than 5 = Too far off-angle for successful attack; must swing around and try again.
        Failed by 5 or less = Bad angle: -2D to Gunnery
        Success by less than 10 = Good angle: Pilot may attack normally.
        Success by more than 10 = Dead on: +1D to Gunnery
      After dropping the bomb, the pilot must pull out of the dive to avoid crashing. The Difficulty of this Maneuver is dictated by the Range at which the bomb was launched. Use the following chart:
        Range = Piloting Difficulty
        Long = Terrain +5
        Medium = Terrain +10
        Short = Terrain +15
        Point Blank = Terrain +20

Mimic Decoy
    Effect:
    -Adds 2D to opposed Sensor roll Difficulty) to discriminate between the decoy and the real ship.
    -Can only mimic the launching craft, and maneuvers in a deliberately random pattern around the real ship until its fuel runs out.
    -Any Lock-On focused on the real ship is automatically broken when the decoy is launched. Opposed Sensor operator may roll to reacquire (at +2D Difficulty).
    -Multiple decoys can coordinate for added effect.
    -If the opposed Sensor operator's roll fails by 0-10, they are unable to determine which sensor contact is the real ship. If the roll fails by more than 10, they falsely identify the decoy as the real ship.
    -Roll any attacks on the decoy as though resolving attacks on the real ship. However, because the decoy is much smaller, it can only be struck if the attacker rolls a confirmed (re-roll) Wild 6 on their attack (Body: 1D).
    Duration: 12 rounds (1 minute)
    Body: 1D
    Space: 10*
    Atmosphere: 415; 1,200 kph*
    *Limits its speed to that of the craft it is mimicking.

Copycat Decoy (As Mimic Decoy, except as follows)
    Effect:
    -Can duplicate the Sensor signature of any Starship-Scale target. Launching ship can select from a short list of pre-programmed signatures (common craft, such as TIE fighters, YT-1300s, and others at GM discretion), or can program a new signature "on the fly" (requires a successful Sensor Focus roll on the ship being duplicated, and an Easy Droid Programming roll).
    Duration: 24 rounds (2 minutes)

Sensor Probe
    This flying sensor package is used to get sensor readings without risking the launching craft. It can be used to scout ahead for potential hidden enemies or other hazards, or can be used for close-up examination of unknown phenomena. It's most commonly used by scout ships or pathfinder starfighters.
    Droid Brain Skills:
    --Piloting 3D
    --Sensors 3D
    Maneuverability: 2D
    Space: 14 (Always Moves at Cruising Speed)
    Atmosphere: 485; 1,400 km/h
    Body: 1D
    Sensors:
    --Passive 10/1D (10km)
    --Search 20/2D (20km)
    Usage:
    -Pre-programmed course declared prior to launch, and can't be altered.
    -Can be used in Passive or Active mode. In Passive mode, sensors are less effective, but the probe is harder to spot (+10 in Active, +20 in Passive).
    Duration: 5 minutes (60 rounds)

EDIT: General clean-up to make the stat blocks conform more to WEG standard weapon stats.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:22 am; edited 26 times in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, the version I did of the Light Missile is pretty much there as a nod to how the X-Wing game did Concussion Missiles, where it did require a Lock-On to guide on a target. If that's not your cup of tea, the alternate version of it doesn't require a Lock-On at all, and just has a high Fire Control. I picture it more like the Sidewinder heat-seeking missile, where the pilot just has to point the nose of the fighter at the target and let the missile seeker do the rest (with audible and visible feedback in the cockpit HUD & speakers to let the pilot know). When compared to what the other stats bring to the table, this has the advantage of being a snap-shot missile; the pilot doesn't have to wait for a Lock-On, and can just point and shoot with a high degree of accuracy. The absence of a Lock-On makes this weapon much more suitable to single-pilot craft like the A-Wing.

EDIT: Moved the Smart Missile stats into the above post.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gravity Bombs

While bombing ground targets is not as glamorous as dogfighting, it is a vital part of starfighter operations. A pilot can shoot down all the enemy fighters in a system, but that will never contribute as much to the war effort as dropping a bomb that destroys the factory where those fighters were built in the first place. Of course, the different types of bombs also necessitate different methods of targeting and delivery.

Loading & Use:
    -Gravity Bombs can only be carried by starships equipped with either a Bomb Launch Chute or a Multi-Warhead Launcher.

-While Gravity Bombs are roughly equal in diameter to Standard Ordnance, they are approximately 50% shorter. As such, a Multi-Warhead Launcher can carry two Gravity Bombs in each Standard Ordnance slot.

The Bombing Run
    The key to the success of any bomb drop is how well the pilot succeeds in placing his craft in the proper position to accurately drop the bomb. This is known as the bombing run. The bombing run requires a Piloting Skill roll and takes 1 round to set up, although a pilot may use the Preparation rule if there is time available. The difficulty of setting up for the bombing run is based on the Terrain Difficulty for the bomber, modified by the type of bombing being done. Use the following tables to determine the result:
      Type of Bombing Run = Terrain Difficulty Modifier
      Unguided = +5
      Guided = +0
    Compare the result of the Skill Roll to the following table:
      Roll Result = Effect
      Failed by 5 or more = Too far off angle for successful bomb delivery. Must come around for another pass.
      Failed by <5 = Bad angle. Pilot may still attempt bombing run at -2D to Gunnery
      Succeed by <10 = Good angle. Pilot may attack as normal
      Succeed by 10 or more = Dead on. Pilot receives +1D bonus to Gunnery.

Bomb Types:
    Freefall Bomb
    Fire Arc: Front
    Range (Lock-On): 100m-200m / 300m / 700m (100m-300m/500m/1km)
    Damage:
    --Proton: 9D Standard
    --Ion: 8D Standard (Ionization)
    --Plasma: 8D Standard (Fire)
    --Cluster: 6D Area (+3D to Fire Control)
    Interception: Moderate (Body 1D)

Guided Bomb
    Fire Arc: Front
    Range (Lock-On): 500m-1km/1.5km/2.5km (1km-2km/3km/5km)
    Damage:
    --Proton: 8D Standard
    --Concussion: 9D Point
    --Ion: 7D Standard (Ionization)
    --Plasma: 7D Standard (Fire)

Mines
Mines are not a weapon in common usage by starfighters. To be truly effective in area denial, mines must be laid by the hundreds or thousands, and individual starfighters have nowhere near that capacity. However, individual mines can be very effective at ambushing pursuing starfighters or capital ships, or as a defensive weapon in a dogfight. As such, some starfighters (especially less maneuverable fighter-bombers like the Y-Wing) may carry one or two space mines in reserve, just in case.

Loading & Use
    -Mines can only be carried by starships equipped with either a Bomb Launch Chute or a Multi-Warhead Launcher.

-While Mines are roughly equal in diameter to Standard Ordnance, they are approximately 50% shorter. As such, a Multi-Warhead Launcher can carry two Mines in each Standard Ordnance slot.

-Mines are only usable when both the launching ship and the intended target are in motion. Standard Range values are only used to simplify game use.

-Modern mines are also equipped with repulsorlifts that enable them to be used in atmosphere, as well as in space.

Mine Types:
    Proximity Mine
    The standard type of mine is little more than a warhead with a basic sensor and an attitude-control impeller. Due to their small size, standard mine warheads are directional in order to maximize damage. Once deployed, a mine will wait until it detects a target, then roll to an optimum firing angle and detonate. Proximity Mines can be equipped with a variety of different warheads to achieve specific effects, and are best used against larger, less maneuverable vessels (although Cluster Warheads are available for use against starfighters).
    Fire Arc: Rear
    Fire Control: 2D
    Range:
    --Space: 1-3/5/10
    --Atmosphere: 100m-300m/500m/1km
    Damage:
    --Cluster: 5D (+2D to Fire Control)

Seeker Mine
    This advanced type of mine behaves similarly to a Homing Missile. Once launched, it homes on the nearest enemy vessel (generally a pursuing starfighter) and maneuver into its path, detonating either on contact or in close proximity.
    Fire Arc: Rear
    Fire Control: 5D
    Range:
    --Space: 1-3/8/15
    --Atmosphere: 100m-300m/800m/1.5km
    Damage:
    --Concussion: 7D
    --Mag-Pulse: 6D (ionization)
    Interception: Difficult (Body 1D)

Sentry Buoy
    While not technically a mine, a Sentry Buoy functions in a somewhat similar fashion. Little more than a passive sensor package with a directional subspace transceiver and a solar power convertor, buoys are commonly deployed either singly or in overlapping networks to cover critical locations. Integrated repulsorlifts allow the buoy to be deployed either in space or atmosphere.
    Effect: Requires a Very Difficult Sensors roll to detect. On success, the pilot recognizes the buoy and can alter course to avoid detection. On failure, the Buoy makes a Sensors roll (Skill Equivalent 4D) against Easy Difficulty, plus any bonuses from Stealth systems or Running Silent. If the Buoy detects the ship, it sends a signal to its mothership, and the target is Located.

Stand-Off Attacks
The existing mine weapons stats are designed around the used of mines against targets that are in relatively close combat. However, the nature of mines allow them to deployed against targets further away. Obviously, successful deployment of a single mine against a distant enemy vessel is almost impossible outside of a straight line pursuit, but it is still possible.

Important: These rules are for circumstances where the pursuing craft is at least one Round's worth of Movement behind the launching craft.

Game Use:
    1). Initial Deployment. Roll Starship Gunnery against Moderate Difficulty and compare the result to the following table:
      Roll fails by 10+ = Mine too badly placed to intercept
      Roll fails by 5-9 = Mine badly out of position, but can attack at +10 Difficulty
      Roll fails by 1-5 = Mine out of position, but can attack at +5 Difficulty
      Roll succeeds by 0-5 = Mine can attack normally.
      Roll succeeds by 6+ = Mine can attack at -5 Difficulty
    2). In the round before the Mine is in range, the target ship may roll Sensors to Detect the Mine (Difficulty is equal to the Intercept Difficulty listed in the Mine's stats.
      Success = The mine is detected in time to alter course and avoid the mine (however, this often causes the enemy ship to temporarily break off pursuit to maneuver around the mine). Alternately, the pursuer may attempt to shoot the mine down.
      Failure = Mine is not detected. Go to the next round.
    3). At the beginning of the next round, the enemy ship may make another Sensors roll to detect the mine.
      Success = The mine is detected, but not in time to avoid it (mine attacks as normal, but target vessel can roll to dodge).
      Failure = The mine is not detected and makes a sneak attack.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:30 am; edited 7 times in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heavy Ordnance
    These weapons are too large to be carried internally by existing starfighters, and can only be deployed via external pods mounted on larger fighters and fighter-bombers. Larger converted space transports (called Starbombers) can be equipped with heavier, multi-round internal launchers.

Heavy Missile
    Scale: Frigate (+10D)
    Range (Lock-On):
    --Space: 1-8/20/40 (2-16/40/80)
    --Orbital: 2km-16km/40km/80km (4km/32km/80km/160km)
    --Atmosphere: 100m-800m/2km/4km (200m-1.6km/4km/8km)
    Damage:
    --Plasma: 5D (Fire)
    --Cluster: 3D (+3D to Fire Control)
    --Penetrator (In Massed Fire, -2D to enemy Point Defense)
    --Targeter (In Massed Fire, +2D to Fire Control, and launching craft may drop Sensor Lock-On without penalty)
    Interception: Difficult (Body 2D)

Hunter Missile
    Range (Lock-On):
    --Space: 1-8/20/40 (2-16/40/80)
    --Orbital: 2km-16km/40km/80km (4km/32km/80km/160km)
    --Atmosphere: 100m-800m/2km/4km (200m-1.6km/4km/8km)
    Damage:
    --Cluster: 5D (+3D to Fire Control)
    Interception: Very Difficult (Body 2D)
    Special: FOLLOW-UP ATTACK
      The Hunter Missile is a Fire & Forget weapon that will continue to track its target if it misses the initial attack. To use this rule, the initial attack must be made with a Sensor Lock on the target. The missile has a Starship Gunnery skill equivalent to 4D. If the initial attack misses, compare the result to the following table:
        Missed By = Result
        <10 = Weapon is still homing, and may attack at Short Range the next round.
        10-20 = Weapon is out of position, but still in range. May not attack its target next round, but can attack at Medium in the round after next.
        21+ = Weapon has lost lock and can not re-engage. Safety settings engage and the weapon self destructs.
      Hunter Missiles have twelve rounds of fuel. At the end of the twelfth round, the weapon self destructs.

Heavy Rocket
    Range (Lock-On):
    --Space: 1-5/15/30 (2-8/20/45)
    --Atmosphere: 100m-500m/1.5km/3km (100m-300m/2km/4.5km)
    Damage:
    --Concussion: 9D
    --Mag-Pulse: 8D (Ionization)
    --Cluster: 6D (+3D to Fire Control)
    Interception: Difficult (Body 2D)

Heavy Torpedo
    Range (Lock-On):
    --Space: 1-4/10/20 (2-4/20/40)
    --Orbital: 2km-8km/20km/40km (4km-16km/40km/80km)
    --Atmosphere: 100m-400m/1km/2km (200m-800m/2km/4km)
    Damage:
    --Proton: 8D
    --Ion: 7D (Ionization)
    --Shield-Buster 5D (Ionization), +4D vs Shields.
    --Penetrator (In Massed Fire, -2D to enemy Point Defense)
    --Targeter (In Massed Fire, +2D to Fire Control, and launching craft may drop Sensor Lock-On without penalty)
    Interception: Difficult (Body 5D)

Heavy Gravity Bomb
    Range (Lock-On): 500m-1km/1.5km/2.5km (1km-2km/3km/5km)
    Damage:
    --Proton: 8D Standard
    --Concussion: 9D Point
    --Ion: 7D Standard (Ionization)
    --Shield-Buster: 6D Point (Ionization), +3D vs. Energy Shields
    --Plasma: 7D Standard (Fire)
    Interception: Moderate (Body 2D)

Bomb Dispenser
    Game Use: Can carry up to 8 Gravity Bombs and/or Space Mines.

Trickster Decoy
    Effect:
    -Adds 2D to opposed Sensor Difficulty to discriminate between the decoy and the real ship
    -Can duplicate the Sensor signature of any Starship or Frigate Scale target. Launching ships can select from a short list of common sensor profiles, or a specific signature can be programmed "on the fly" (requires a successful Sensor Focus roll on the ship being duplicated, and an Easy Droid Programming roll).
    -Any Lock-On focused on the real ship is automatically broken when the decoy is launched. Opposed Sensor operator may roll to reacquire (at +2D Difficulty).
    -Multiple decoys can coordinate for added effect (coordinated groups of four or more Tricksters can duplicate Destroyer-Scale targets).
    -If the opposed Sensor operator's roll fails by 0-10, they are unable to determine which sensor contact is the real ship. If the roll fails by more than 10, they falsely identify the decoy as the real ship.
    -Roll any attacks on the decoy as though resolving attacks on the real ship. However, because the decoy is much smaller, it can only be struck if the attacker rolls a Wild 6 on their attack (Body: 2D)
    Duration: Varies (60 rounds / 5 minutes if duplicating a Frigate-Scale target; 240 rounds / 20 minutes if duplicating a Starship-Scale target)
    Body: 2D
    Space: 8*
    Atmosphere: 365; 1,050 km/h*
    *Limits its speed to that of the craft it is mimicking.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:32 am; edited 13 times in total
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:47 am    Post subject: Advanced Starfighter Combat/Lock-On/Torpedoes Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Updating My Lock-On Rules

As part of my Advanced Starfighter Combat System a while back, I came up with rules for using Sensor Focus as a crucial component of firing guided missiles. Looking back on it, however, I think I made it a bit too crucial a component, as both the films and the X-Wing video game on which the rules depend heavily allow for the firing of guided weapons without a Lock-On.

Here's what I'm considering for an updated version:
    Skill: Sensors
    Time To Use: 1 Standard Action
    How To Use:
    -Make a Sensor Focus roll, with a base Difficulty of Easy.
    -A Lock-On attempt automatically shows up on your target's Passive sensors, so your target may try to evade the Lock-On just as if it were an attack (roll Piloting + Maneuverability against the shooter's Sensor Focus roll).
    -The Lock-On holds for one round. If the target continues to evade, you must re-roll every round to keep the Lock.
    Effect:
    -Fixed Guns & Unguided Ordnance: +2D to Fire Control
    -Gimballed Guns: +3D to Fire Control
    -Missiles & Torpedoes: +4D to Fire Control, All Ranges Doubled
    Note: When firing at targets of a higher Scale, the gunner can attempt to lock-on to specific points on the target's Hull.

The main reason I set the bonuses so high is to counteract the MAPs incurred by adding an additional Standard Action to the Gunnery and Piloting skill rolls the character will already be making.

This rule would be universally applicable for all ordnance, all the way up to Capital-Scale, which will necessitate some changes in my stats. The big thing I like is that it adds a definite advantage to missile armed ships: range. A ship with heavy missile launchers that gets a Lock-On could potentially hit targets out to 120 SUs, which is a bit of a game changer.

As part of this, I'm also thinking of dividing Launchers and Torpedo Tubes into Light and Heavy variants, with Light being Frigate-Scale and Heavy being Destroyer-Scale.

Is target lock only for fighters? Or is it intended to include starship-scale transports too? I can see a non-gunner character with access to the sensors assisting a gunner by getting a lock for them.

CRMcNeill wrote:
Torpedo
Size: Medium
Body: 4D
Defense: +15
Range (Lock-On):
Damage:
--Proton: 9D
--Ion: 8D (Ionization)
    Torpedoes are enveloped in an energy field that both protects the torpedo and helps penetrate a target's defensive energy shields. In game terms, a Torpedo may ignore up to 3D of a target's Shields (factoring in Scale Modifiers), and receives a +3D to Body to resist Damage.

Cool. Are these torpedo rules only for fighters? Or is it intended to include small, starfighter-scale transports too?

And what would aquatic torpedo stats look like?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Advanced Starfighter Combat/Lock-On/Torpedoes Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Is target lock only for fighters? Or is it intended to include starship-scale transports too?

The latter. Basically, any weapon system includes a comm/scan interface system that ties into the ship's networks for coordination and fire direction purposes.

Quote:
I can see a non-gunner character with access to the sensors assisting a gunner by getting a lock for them.

I was already picturing this as a function for astromechs or back-seaters on multi-crew starfighters like the Y-Wing. Allowing the comm/scan operator on a space transport to do it is a logical progression.

Quote:
Cool. Are these torpedo rules only for fighters? Or is it intended to include small, starfighter-scale transports too?

Interchangeable. Basically, a space transport fitted with a torpedo launcher can fire any Small or Medium Ordnance from the above post. A transport with a missile launcher can only fire Small Ordnance. They'd also be able to fire Decoys and Sensor Probes, but I need to update the stats for those.

Quote:
And what would aquatic torpedo stats look like?

Per our discussion in the underwater energy weapons topic, I'd either use the stats as posted or halve the range (with the justification being that the energy sheath produces a hypercavitation effect, but the sheath burns out more quickly due to the greater resistance of water relative to air).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: