The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Space Bombs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Space Bombs Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject: Space Bombs Reply with quote

So, I'm working on a rule system that allows concussion missiles and proton torpedoes to be used the way they are in the X-Wing/TIE Fighter games. There are a few rough edges, but the main thing I'm hitting a wall on is rules for the Space Bombs. ICYMI, the Space Bomb is just a warhead with no drive; its speed is entirely dependent on the speed the launching craft was traveling when it fired the bomb.

The problem I'm running into is that, if the weapon ranges presented in the RAW are effective ranges, the range for a space bomb will be entirely dependent on the Speed of the launching ship. So how do you calculate a static range for something with a variable on the fly? More specifically, how do you calculate it without dragging the game to a screeching halt to pull out your calculator and run percentage calculations (assuming the pilot doesn't decide to speed up or slow down)?

I have some vague ideas, but they aren't really in any form I feel is ready for posting. I'd like to hear some thoughts, especially from those of you who have plenty of experience playing the TIE Fighter video game.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what i remember of the space bombs in game, they didn't really go that far forward from where they were "Launched' from, but they did go down.

So maybe a space speed of the 'launching ship' of 3-5, gives it a forward speed of 1. 6-8 gives it a speed of 2. 9-11, gives it a 3, and anything above that gives it a 4.
Bomb's travel downward 2 SU for every 1 they 'move forward'..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But then you also have to factor in whether the launching ship is traveling at Cruising, Full or All-Out.

Theodrim
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bomb's initial speed and trajectory is equal to the launching ship's speed and trajectory. Reduce the speed by a d6 or d3 per turn after that, simple enough.

Throw in a scatter die if you feel particularly sadistic.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would the speed fall off? In a vacuum, the bomb will continue forward at the same speed it was launched. The primary issue (and what the range values of all the other weapons represent) is how far the weapon can travel and still have a chance of hitting what it was aimed at.

EDIT: The scatter die wouldn't be appropriate, either, for the same reason. in vacuum, the bomb will simply travel in the direction it was fired, and will only deviate if acted on by an outside force (such as gravity, but the relatively short ranges at which the bomb is used pretty much negate that possibility).

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
But then you also have to factor in whether the launching ship is traveling at Cruising, Full or All-Out.

You should already know that though, based on what movement roll(s) are being made and the space rating of the ship launching it.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've double-checked on YouTube, and it does not appear that the bombs arc downward when fired in space (what happens in atmosphere is a different story, but I doubt you would be using space bombs there). A couple points:

-Even though they are unguided (or at least minimally guided), they do have a lock-on delay in-game.

-Even though they are inertial, they do move faster than the launching craft when fired.

As far as range, it may be simpler to work up a chart based on the launching craft's speed, say like:
    1-4 =
    5-8 =
    9-12 =
    13-16 =
    17-20 =
    21-24 =
    25-28 =
    29-32 =
That way, you just work out how many units the launching ship is traveling, then use the appropriate range.

Granted, when used against a stationary target, the range doesn't really matter, as the target can't dodge, so as long as you lined up your initial shot properly, it should get a hit if you wait long enough. However, in-game, you can shoot down torpedoes, so something moving as slow as a bomb would also be vulnerable. Against any target with defensive weaponry, you would want to wait until the last to launch to give the target less time to intercept it.

atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the target were moving fast enough and or were far enough away, it should be able to just move out of the way of the bomb before it gets there. After all, the target would have to be pretty stupid (or unaware of the attack) to just sit there in the path of the bomb.

So could simplify things by just ingoring a range stat, and base the difficulty to hit on the distance to the target and how fast it is moving, something like:

-Difficulty = distance to the target in SUs plus target's speed (in SU)

That way you either have to be right on top on a target or it has to be moving slowly to hit it. Very simple, and it won't bog the game down. Bombs that are supposed to be more accurate or have longer range could just have dice added to fire control.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
If the target were moving fast enough and or were far enough away, it should be able to just move out of the way of the bomb before it gets there. After all, the target would have to be pretty stupid (or unaware of the attack) to just sit there in the path of the bomb.

The video game is pretty clear that space bombs would only be used against either stationary or slow moving targets anyway, so to represent that, I'd just apply the RAW's rules for increasing difficulty based on the speed of the target.

Quote:
-Difficulty = distance to the target in SUs plus target's speed (in SU)

There would still need to be a rule for the bomb's speed affecting the difficulty to shoot it down...

EDIT: Some variation on Difficulty = Base Difficulty, plus Distance to Target in SUs minus Launching Craft's Speed @ Launch would be more appropriate.

atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:

There would still need to be a rule for the bomb's speed affecting the difficulty to shoot it down...

If you gave the bombs the same speed as the launching craft, you could give them a base difficulty to be hit per a normal ship, then add in it's speed in Sus to the difficulty.

crmcneill wrote:

EDIT: Some variation on Difficulty = Base Difficulty, plus Distance to Target in SUs minus Launching Craft's Speed @ Launch would be more appropriate.

Would a faster launching craft really help the things hit? or would they just get there quicker, leaving less time for the other side to shoot them down?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
If you gave the bombs the same speed as the launching craft, you could give them a base difficulty to be hit per a normal ship, then add in it's speed in Sus to the difficulty.

Game evidence shows that the bomb is actually moving faster than the launching ship at launch, so more like Speed + 5 or 6.

Quote:
Would a faster launching craft really help the things hit? or would they just get there quicker, leaving less time for the other side to shoot them down?

It would also add an incremental advantage when fired against a moving target. Maybe use the attacking ship's speed as a counter-modifier when calculating the difficulty for hitting a moving target...

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be even simpler to throw out the existing rule for the increased difficulty of targeting moving ships with inertial weapons and simply add the ship's number of SUs moved that round to the targeting difficulty. A Star Destroyer or MC80 cruiser moving at All-Out would add +24 to the difficulty to target, while a Victory Star Destroyer would only receive a +16, and so on.

atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
It might be even simpler to throw out the existing rule for the increased difficulty of targeting moving ships with inertial weapons and simply add the ship's number of SUs moved that round to the targeting difficulty. A Star Destroyer or MC80 cruiser moving at All-Out would add +24 to the difficulty to target, while a Victory Star Destroyer would only receive a +16, and so on.

Yeah, and it might also be simpler to throw out the die bonus for fire control and just treat it as the amount of movement negated. For example a 3D fire control might ignore the first 9 SUs of target movement. Or even 9SUs of movement/range.

Oh, and you might want to consider handling scaling modifiers the same way.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I want to change the old rules too much. People are used to rolling the FC dice and factoring in Scale Modifiers, and I'd prefer a rule that conforms to that as opposed to something new and unique for one weapon system...

atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: