The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Reasons for Imperial racism
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Reasons for Imperial racism
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reasons for Imperial racism Reply with quote

We all pretty well accept that the Empire had an anti-alien bias. They didn't rise to the ranks in the Imperial Navy, and very few have any positions of any real standing in the Empire.

I was wondering if one of the many reasons why might have had a practical (not justifiable, but practical) edge to some of that. I've been looking through some of the glorious FFG art, and there are all manner of aliens in Alliance flight suits and helmets. I couldn't help but think of what a logistic nightmare the acquisition of a handful of Quarren flight helmets, or a single Xexto flight suit might be. While the Alliance is generally grateful for all the talent it gets, the Empire generally has a mass-production model to it's resources, whether they be personnel or material goods. So, the Empire makes or orders the materials for the military they have in mind. The Empire can easily order thousands (or millions) of flight suits, armor pieces, or helmets to accommodate their navy. If the uniform doesn't fit, then that being probably doesn't belong in the navy.

Thoughts?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That may have been a facet of it, but racism against aliens in the EU seemed to run deeper than that.

And apparently, it predated the Empire, with even the Sith having to build their plans around it.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did read and wish I remembered where. That the emperor drive some of it. I think it was a description of Thrawn.
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a mistake to try to conjure up materialist or rational reasons for the racism.

Peoples who have had privilege in the world/galaxy tend to have worldviews that justify that privilege. The idea that that privilege might be taken away and that they'll have to live on their own merits tends to terrify them. There's probably also some subconscious collective cognitive dissonance going on which makes them quite hostile when they encounter evidence that the 'other' is not underprivileged for any good reason other than historical accident. Quite naturally, they'll look at those without privilege with deep apprehension, and even fear.

I'm sure that the Emperor stoked that fear in order to build up his own power, but I think it's a little cheap to dump it all on Palpatine.
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikael Hasselstein wrote:

I'm sure that the Emperor stoked that fear in order to build up his own power, but I think it's a little cheap to dump it all on Palpatine.

That's why i used the word some Smile
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a lot of it was mostly was based on fires stoked by Palpaltine, but a lot of it also came down to a person's own racism/speciesim.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Reasons for Imperial racism Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
We all pretty well accept that the Empire had an anti-alien bias. They didn't rise to the ranks in the Imperial Navy, and very few have any positions of any real standing in the Empire.

I was wondering if one of the many reasons why might have had a practical (not justifiable, but practical) edge to some of that. I've been looking through some of the glorious FFG art, and there are all manner of aliens in Alliance flight suits and helmets. I couldn't help but think of what a logistic nightmare the acquisition of a handful of Quarren flight helmets, or a single Xexto flight suit might be. While the Alliance is generally grateful for all the talent it gets, the Empire generally has a mass-production model to it's resources, whether they be personnel or material goods. So, the Empire makes or orders the materials for the military they have in mind. The Empire can easily order thousands (or millions) of flight suits, armor pieces, or helmets to accommodate their navy. If the uniform doesn't fit, then that being probably doesn't belong in the navy.

Thoughts?

"Human High Culture" and good old fashion speciesism wouldn't have began with the Empire, but I have no doubt that Palpatine used existing speciesism to his advantage. Humans are the dominant sentient species in the galaxy, so it would be easier to get away with atrocities against aliens (including total subjugation and slavery) in an Empire where Xenophobia is encouraged. Is there also a practical aspect to the mass production of Imperial uniforms and equipment if they are almost entirely used by humans? I think there is, but that wouldn't be the main reason aliens are discriminated against. Actually, I don't see Palpatine as being a speciesist. I think he feels that all other beings, regardless of species, are beneath him.

In my post-RotJ SWU, after a chaotic period of warlordism, the shattered Empire eventually settles down to three main Empires, and one of them is an "Alien Empire". They venerate the Imperial system but take out human supremacy and slavery. They have an Emperor and an Imperial Senate. There are some humans in that Empire. In theory, all species are equal, but in practice, mainline humans are somewhat discriminated against and near-humans actually dominate the leadership positions. There are stormtroopers of all species, even together in the same units. This Empire is where my version of Grand Admiral Thrawn is.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: