The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

External Pods on Starfighters
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> External Pods on Starfighters Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would that 'damaging' feedback look like mechanically?

Would it short out the ship's own ECM/sensor suite, or just reduce its' capacity?
If so, for how long?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
What would that 'damaging' feedback look like mechanically?

Would it short out the ship's own ECM/sensor suite, or just reduce its' capacity?
If so, for how long?

To simplify things, I would likely give each pod a negative modifier which is applied to the starfighter's Hull dice (-1D, -2D whatever) which decreases the ship's damage resistance as a whole, and then count whatever the pod is as the system type (sensors, weapons, etc.)

It's my understanding that, in real life, pilots tend to use the fuel in their auxiliary tanks first, then transferring any remainder to the internal tanks. Auxiliary Tanks in this system would be similar, in that a pilot would want to use up those consumables first, then jettison the fuel tank before entering combat, at which point he would still have a full load of fuel.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they could leave SOME fuel in it, to use as a bomb!
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Maybe they could leave SOME fuel in it, to use as a bomb!

I can only think of one time that that happens in the EU, in X-Wing: Rogue Squadron, where Corran Horn dropped a damaged and leaking pod during a canyon run, and the explosion took out some pursuing TIE Fighters. So, theoretically, it is possible, but I would leave that up to individual GMs. For myself, I would rule that something like that would be a desperation maneuver and only allowed for cinematic effect.

atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:

It's my understanding that, in real life, pilots tend to use the fuel in their auxiliary tanks first, then transferring any remainder to the internal tanks. Auxiliary Tanks in this system would be similar, in that a pilot would want to use up those consumables first, then jettison the fuel tank before entering combat, at which point he would still have a full load of fuel.

Yeah,, thanks because in real life the tanks affect the performance of the aircraft. The extra weight lowers the acceleration, and the fuel pods on the hard points tend to limit how many Gs the plan can pull in a turn (or else the force will snap them right off their hardpoints).

In game terms external tanks reduce the maneuverability die code.

In real life, pilot will also dump the fuel tanks (empty or not) when the enter dogfight.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Say, since some fighters and bombers basically have heavy ordnance built it, maybe it would be possible to swap out something thike protorps for a cargo module?
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about some sort of AWACs pod?
Basically a long range sensor suite (something better than most fighters) and a way to transmit the data it to allied craft. It would be nice for the rebels to outfit a ship with this so it could detect an ISD while it was out of normal X-Wing sensor range.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
Say, since some fighters and bombers basically have heavy ordnance built it, maybe it would be possible to swap out something thike protorps for a cargo module?

I wouldn't allow it in my campaign, on the grounds that the internal launchers are intricate device designed to store ordnance securely and move it into position to fire. The carrying of cargo in that space would necessitate complete removal of the launcher itself. Therefore, if a starfighter pilot wanted to carry additional cargo, he would have to use external pods to do so.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
How about some sort of AWACs pod?
Basically a long range sensor suite (something better than most fighters) and a way to transmit the data it to allied craft. It would be nice for the rebels to outfit a ship with this so it could detect an ISD while it was out of normal X-Wing sensor range.

Not for a single pilot vessel, certainly. I wrote up a stat a while back for a modified Nu-Class Shuttle that served as an AEW&C platform, but the pilot of a single ship would have too many distractions to pilot his own vessel and coordinate the actions of other pilots (unless he was some sort of prodigy, like Piggy from Wraith Squadron, but those are in short supply).

The closest I came to something like that is the Comm/Scan Relay Pod for the Modular TIE Bomber. Essentially, the bomber pilot serves as a chauffeur for the comm/scan package, which is operated by remote from the fighter's ground base or mother ship, with subspace radios providing real time data links. This allows the flight controller to extend his reach beyond the range of his ship/base's own sensors. But all the pilot is doing is flying his ship to a location designated by the flight controller.

EDIT: Although, for just extended range sensors, that's what the Surveillance Pod is for. When you say AWACS, it implies not just detection but flight control as well.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What of trying to go by the game with a ECM system, to mess with enemies fire control.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
What of trying to go by the game with a ECM system, to mess with enemies fire control.

I mentioned an Electronic Warfare Pod...

atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey how about some sort of decoy pod? It could transmit some sort of false sensor signal so as to appear as a fighter.

My idea is that the rebels could use them to make it look like there are more ships on hand than there really are, and/or drive the targets in a certain direction- where some other rebel ships are waiting in ambush.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
Hey how about some sort of decoy pod? It could transmit some sort of false sensor signal so as to appear as a fighter.

My idea is that the rebels could use them to make it look like there are more ships on hand than there really are, and/or drive the targets in a certain direction- where some other rebel ships are waiting in ambush.

I've already included rules for proton torpedo-sized decoys in the Advanced Starfighter Combat topic. I suppose outsized decoys could be used to simulate much larger ships, like star destroyers and such...

atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or something like a MIRV decoy that breaks up and transmits multiple starfighter signatures.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
Or something like a MIRV decoy that breaks up and transmits multiple starfighter signatures.

Good one. I'll add it to the list.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: