The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Knowledge Attribute Optional Rule
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Knowledge Attribute Optional Rule Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
atgxtg wrote:
1) I think the bonus should probably cap out at the KNO skill. For instance if someone uses Alien Species 3D to get a bonus when gambling against a Twi'lek, they shouldn't get more than a +3D bonus.

I disagree. That would unfairly cap someone who has an average Knowledge score, but has spent a great deal of time improving one or two skills. Someone with Knowledge 2D might have Survival 10D (they aren't book-smart, but they know everything there is to know about living in the wild), but your rule would cap off any bonuses at +2D, all because they lack a general knowledge of all subjects.

Um, he said KNO Skill, but the point is moot, by your chart, A character with 3D in an KNO skill needs to get at least two back to back sixes on the Wild die just to have a chance of getting +3D bonus for said KNO skill being applicable.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Savar wrote:
That could be expanded to cultures being a cap on bureaucracy, alien species as a cap on intimidation.

The problem here is that I want a rule that actually requires you to roll your Knowledge skills to generate the bonuses, not simply use them as a variable in a mathematical formula to generate a bonus or penalty. The idea is not just to generate the bonus, but to actually get the Knowledge skill involved by requiring a roll of the dice to generate the bonus/penalty.

Are you then going to try and come up with a list of what Knowledge skill "Synergies" with what other skill?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Are you then going to try and come up with a list of what Knowledge skill "Synergies" with what other skill?

No, I'm going to leave that up to individual GMs and players, as there are too many possible combinations and differences of opinion that will come into play. Basically, if you want to do this, you have to justify your choice to the GM.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
atgxtg wrote:
1) I think the bonus should probably cap out at the KNO skill. For instance if someone uses Alien Species 3D to get a bonus when gambling against a Twi'lek, they shouldn't get more than a +3D bonus.

I disagree. That would unfairly cap someone who has an average Knowledge score, but has spent a great deal of time improving one or two skills. Someone with Knowledge 2D might have Survival 10D (they aren't book-smart, but they know everything there is to know about living in the wild), but your rule would cap off any bonuses at +2D, all because they lack a general knowledge of all subjects.

You misunderstood my post. My idea was to cap the bonus at the appropriate KNO skill- not KNO attribute. So someone who has Survival at 10D would cap his bonus at 10D.

My intention was to prevent someone with, say, Survival at 2D from getting a 10D bonus due to a run with the wild die.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
My intention was to prevent someone with, say, Survival at 2D from getting a 10D bonus due to a run with the wild die.

And why shouldn't he? Maybe the guy with 2D Survival got lucky and remembered something he read in a magazine somewhere that applies directly to the situation at hand.

Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First aid/Medicine aside from your race should require an Alien Species check Twisted Evil
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Savar wrote:
First aid/Medicine aside from your race should require an Alien Species check Twisted Evil

Seems fair.

Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Savar wrote:

Seems fair.

As a gut reaction I would make the AS check the as the check required for the base skill roll.

Not make a check to see if you get a bonus.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

No, I'm going to leave that up to individual GMs and players, as there are too many possible combinations and differences of opinion that will come into play. Basically, if you want to do this, you have to justify your choice to the GM.

In that case why just limit it to knowledge skills. Why not allow a player to argue that ALL skills should be allowed to be synergied?

If someone's great at reading others (con skill, since it is used to tell who is lying) why can't they have that augument their bargaining or persuasion skill.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
In that case why just limit it to knowledge skills. Why not allow a player to argue that ALL skills should be allowed to be synergied?

Because that would be silly and would introduce needless complications while completely obliterating the original idea of getting Knowledge skills more involved in the first place.

Quote:
If someone's great at reading others (con skill, since it is used to tell who is lying) why can't they have that augument their bargaining or persuasion skill.

Because that is already covered under the Perception attribute. This would be a method to add intellectual Knowledge about a being into the equation. In your example, a character who is good at reading others would benefit from Alien Species skill rolls to identify body language cues that provide additional insight into the being they are trying to persuade or bargain with.

Another example? A character with dice in Walker Repair could roll for a synergy bonus to be applied to his Blaster skill when trying to hit a vulnerable spot on an AT-ST. Pretty much any Technical skill could be rolled to generate a bonus to Demolitions when trying to rig a vehicle of that type to blow. A Search or Perception roll could be used to augment First Aid by assessing detectable indicators of a patient's health, increasing the accuracy of a diagnosis.

The point is, if you want to use a skill to generate a bonus, you have to phrase it logically, and your GM has to approve it. Logically tenuous attempts will receive strange looks, facepalms, general derision, and possibly automatic penalties for wasting the GMs time.

Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:

The point is, if you want to use a skill to generate a bonus, you have to phrase it logically, and your GM has to approve it. Logically tenuous attempts will receive strange looks, facepalms, general derision, and possibly automatic penalties for wasting the GMs time.

Rofl
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Savar wrote:
crmcneill wrote:

Rofl

GM: Because I said so! And while we're at it, your character just experienced a sudden flashback of the time he watched a holo-documentary on the mating habits of Hutts and has become strangely turned on. -2D to your next skill roll.

Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, I'm stealing that.

Knowledge is the hardest thing to enforce roleplay. I'm doing a pretty good job with my current group. I found watching alot of Burn Notice helped.

Roll your streetwise. 5? You think you can find a Black Sun smuggling contact in a hole-in-the-wall bar like this. (It's a cop bar)
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:
Lol, I'm stealing that.

Knowledge is the hardest thing to enforce roleplay. I'm doing a pretty good job with my current group. I found watching alot of Burn Notice helped.

Roll your streetwise. 5? You think you can find a Black Sun smuggling contact in a hole-in-the-wall bar like this. (It's a cop bar)

LOL, I'm stealing that!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Because that would be silly and would introduce needless complications while completely obliterating the original idea of getting Knowledge skills more involved in the first place.

Maybe it's just me, but i don't feel Knowledge skills are overlooked. Only underplayed by the DM running the game. I have had entire game sessions where not ONE Pc has failed to use at least 2 if not more Knowledge skills.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: