The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Knowledge Attribute Optional Rule
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Knowledge Attribute Optional Rule Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why this is an optional rule; it certainly won't be for everyone.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
atgxtg wrote:
My intention was to prevent someone with, say, Survival at 2D from getting a 10D bonus due to a run with the wild die.

And why shouldn't he? Maybe the guy with 2D Survival got lucky and remembered something he read in a magazine somewhere that applies directly to the situation at hand.

He shouldn't because whatever he remembered from a magazine, etc. is not going to be the sort of thing that would grant that big a bonus. Someone is not going to operate better than the best surgeon on a planet just because of some bit of trivia they remembered. Not is someone going to become a crack shot because some something they remembered from an issue of Guns & Ammo,.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
He shouldn't because whatever he remembered from a magazine, etc. is not going to be the sort of thing that would grant that big a bonus. Someone is not going to operate better than the best surgeon on a planet just because of some bit of trivia they remembered. Not is someone going to become a crack shot because some something they remembered from an issue of Guns & Ammo,.

My point is that even a person of average intellect can sometimes get lucky, which is the entire point of a Wild Dice mechanic. The magazine example was a single example of how that might happen. And the way this is set up, the character can't depend solely on his Knowledge skill to perform the actual act. A medic or surgeon will still need to roll First Aid and/or Medicine, but their degree of Knowledge about this particular subject will be able to influence it, and the more knowledgeable they are, the greater the positive influence.

EDIT: Plus, AFAIAC, anyone who can roll that many straight-6's on an unloaded dice deserves whatever bonuses he gets.

DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I'm generally in favor of granting bonuses like this, I'm also of the belief that it shouldn't cost a MAP. You either know that information or you don't. I don't see it like the person having to multi-task (as if they're searching their memory while Jeopardy music plays in the background), but more that their knowledge in another skill has practical implications with another.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While that is somewhat true, i still think MAPs should acru.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
While that is somewhat true, i still think MAPs should acru.

I agree. Oddly enough, a character on Jeopardy wouldn't be accruing MAPs, because they were only performing one skill action (the Knowledge roll). In this case, because you are performing two acts in close conjunction (one slightly before the other), your attention is split. However, I would say that the other MAP rules apply, in that if you have a round to spare, you may make your Knowledge roll in one round to generate a bonus which is then applied to your skill roll in the next round.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That i can see. IF you have the time, split it up, much like the book allows for lightsaber combat, or any other force power that hits 2 or more force skills... Otherwise 'use it in one round, takes maps the same way.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upon reflection, I'm going to shift the bonus table up just a little, so that a simple success of +0-2 does not generate any bonus at all, indicating that the character is knowledgeable on the subject, but not so much as to give him any specific advantage. The new table looks like so:
    Skill Roll Success = Bonus
    0-2 = +0
    3-5 = +1
    6-8 = +2
    9-11 = +1D
    12-14 = +1D+1
    15-17 = +1D+2
    18-20 = +2D
    21-23 = +2D+1
    24-26 = +2D+2
    27+ = +3D
    (+1 pip for every 3 points of success)

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not use something similar to the wound brackets (every 4 points), you gain +1, rather than every 3 but only starting after you get more than 3 over..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because I've already written this one down, and I don't see the need to change a perfectly functional rule just for the sake of changing it. Plus, we also have a Base 3 system in use for skills (3 pips = 1D), so I have no problem with 3 points equaling 1 pip.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you going to come up with a base diff needed to be rolled on that 'know roll'. Say
Something that is commonly known - easy roll
Not common, but neither rare - moderate
Rare - difficult
Very rare, known to only a few individuals or well back in history - very difficult
Lost to history - heroic..
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Plus, we also have a Base 3 system in use for skills (3 pips = 1D), so I have no problem with 3 points equaling 1 pip.

Technically 1D = 3.5 pips (the average roll), and we round off when improving skills. Just saying. Wink But use whatever rule works for you!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

However, when improving skills, 3 pips equal 1D.

garhkal wrote:
Are you going to come up with a base diff needed to be rolled on that 'know roll'. Say
Something that is commonly known - easy roll
Not common, but neither rare - moderate
Rare - difficult
Very rare, known to only a few individuals or well back in history - very difficult
Lost to history - heroic..

I would leave that up to the GM to decide on a case by case basis, using existing Knowledge skill difficulties as guidelines.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The discussion on Anatomical Targeting in the Terminator Crossover thread got me thinking about this concept again, and I've come up with an update concept for it.

The rule concept delineated in the OP is designed as a stand-alone rule that can be applied wherever the character wants, subject to the usual MAP restrictions. What I'm thinking now is to tie this into the Preparation rule, something along these lines:
    As per the RAW, a character may take double the time to perform an action, receiving a +1D bonus. As part of Preparation, the character may roll one relevant Knowledge or Technical skill to generate a modifier that stacks with the Preparation bonus. For every three points by which the Knowledge / Technical skill roll succeeds, the character receives a modifier of +1.
So, for example, if a character is shooting at a Quarren, they may make an Alien Species skill roll to see if they recall any relevant information about a Quarren's weak spots or vulnerable organs. The character takes a round to Prepare, and beats the Alien Species Difficulty by 7 points, thus generating a +2 modifier, which is then applied to the base Preparation Bonus of +1D, for a total combined bonus on +1D+2.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it, though i'd put a max bonus cap.. Say 2d..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: