The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Mon Calamari MCB-Type Integrated Landing Barge
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Mon Calamari MCB-Type Integrated Landing Barge Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been meaning to get back to this...

MCM-Type Integrated Utility Shuttle

Craft: Mon Calamari MCM-Type
Type: Integrated Utility Shuttle
Scale: Starship (+6D)
Length: 25 meters
Skill: Starship Piloting: MCM
Crew: 2 (can coordinate; 1 @ +5) & 1 Gunner
Crew Skill:
Astrogation 4D*
Gunnery 5D*
Piloting 5D+2*
Shields 5D*
Sensors 3D+1*
*Mon Calamari ships are configured to provide Mon Calamari with their +1D bonus for being in moist environments. These skill levels do not reflect these bonuses.
Passengers: 25 (or 50 metric tons)
Consumables: 2 months
Cost: 100,000 (new), 25,000 (used)
Hyperdrive Multiplier: x1
Hyperdrive Backup: x12
Nav Computer: Yes
Maneuverability: 2D
Space: 6 (3D)
Atmosphere: 330; 950 km/h
Underwater: 70; 200km/h
Depth Range: 0 meters to 1 kilometer
Hull: 3D
Shields: 2D (2D Backup). 0D Underwater
Sensors: (Underwater Ranges)
Passive 20 (1km)/1D
Scan 50 (2.5km)/2D
Search 80 (4km)/3D
Focus 4 (200m)/4D
Weapons:
1 Dual Pulse Laser Cannon
Fire Arc: Turret (Dorsal)
Crew: 1
Skill: Starship Gunnery
Fire Control: 2D
Range:
--Space: 1-3/12/25
--Orbital: 2km-6km/24km/50km
--Atmosphere: 100m-300m/1.2km/2.5km
Damage: 5D (4D Underwater)
1 Tractor Beam Projector
Fire Arc: Turret (Ventral; can not be used when docked)
Skill: Starship Gunnery (+5 to all Gunnery Difficulties when Underwater)
Fire Control: 3D
Range:
--Space: 1-2/5/10
--Atmosphere: 100m-200m/500m/1km
Damage: 4D (2D Underwater)
Plasma Torch Boarding Device
Fire Arc: Bottom (Can not be used when docked)
Fire Control: 0D (Base Difficulty: Very Easy)
Range: N/A (Contact)
Fire Rate: 1 (Full Round)
Damage: 7D + 1/round
Notes: Roll damage once per round against the target's Hull-2D. On a successful Damage roll, compare the result to the following table:
    Damage Inflicted = Time Taken To Cut Hole
    Lightly Damaged = 1 Minute (12 rounds)
    Heavily Damaged = 30 seconds (6 rounds)
    Severely Damaged = 15 seconds (3 rounds)
    Destroyed = 5 seconds (1 round)
A fully cut hull breach is 1 meter wide by 2 meters tall. Once cutting is complete, the extendable boarding collar requires three rounds to make an airtight seal.
Special Equipment:
Underwater Mode
The MCM is designed to operate submerged by reconfiguring the ship's Shields to reinforce the Hull. Reconfiguring requires 1 round, during which the Shields can not be used, and the ship cannot be submerged. The ship can still operate submerged if Shields are unusable, but Speed is reduced to 35; 100km/h and maximum safe depth to 150 meters.
Minesweeping Sensor
Effect: +1D to Sensors to Detect & Identify Mines.
Search & Rescue Sensor
Effect: +1D to Sensors to Detect & Identify Lifeforms.
Trauma Suite
Effect: +1D to First Aid and/or Medicine skill rolls.
Note: When an MCM is docked in a recessed socket aboard an MC-Series cruiser, its systems are interfaced with those of the cruiser. All of its weapons are added to the cruiser's weapons, and can be fire-linked normally. While not technically the same weapon type, the Fire Control systems on the Pulse Lasers have been configured to interface with standard Dual Laser Cannon.
Variants: (Use Above Stats, except as noted)
    MCMb IMPROVED
    A growing number of MCMs have been modified with fore and aft warhead launchers, which greatly increases their utility in both the fleet support and special operations roles. This comes at the expense of some cargo/passenger capacity, but is considered a worthwhile trade.
    Passengers: 20 (or 40 metric tons)
    Weapon Systems:
    2 Warhead Launchers
    Fire Arc: 1 Front, 1 Rear (Ventral; can not be used when docked)
    Rate of Fire: 1
    All Other Stats vary by Weapon Type
    Capacity: 8 rounds in central magazine. May select any Weapons from this list, as well as Gravity Bombs or Space Mines from this list (Rear Launcher only), depending on Availability.

MCMs SPECIAL OPERATIONS
    Alliance Special Operations have also converted a small number of MCMb's with greater Stealth capabilities for use in the insertion and recovery of SpecForce teams or Intel operatives.
    Stats are as the MCMb above, except as noted.
    Shields: 2D (1D Stealth Backup)
Cruiser Integration:
Mon Calamari MC-Series Cruisers are designed with integrated docking ports for MCMs. MC80 Cruisers can dock 8 MCMs; larger MC-Series ships will have even greater capacity.

House Rule Notes:
    COMMAND DIFFICULTY MODIFIER: +1
    SHIELD & SHIELD CONTROL: 1D @ 1D
    VELOCITY MODIFIER: 1D+2 Flight

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:57 pm; edited 8 times in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks nice. Though as its a Mon Cal design, i might even be willing to see it have a 'submersible' mode..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Looks nice. Though as its a Mon Cal design, i might even be willing to see it have a 'submersible' mode..

Considering there is only one other Mon Cal craft with that capability, I could see a variant of the MCM having that capability, maybe as a special operations craft. Being able to land and hide your player's transport underwater makes for a cool Navy SEAL vibe to a mission...

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Considering there is only one other Mon Cal craft with that capability, I could see a variant of the MCM having that capability, maybe as a special operations craft. Being able to land and hide your player's transport underwater makes for a cool Navy SEAL vibe to a mission...

That it does. Hence the suggestion.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giving this a bump because I finally got around to updating the MCM Utility Shuttle post. I gave the MCM underwater operations capability, as well as writing up a couple variants: both have integrated warhead launchers, and one is modified for greater stealth.

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Hull: 4D
Shields: 1D (2D Backup). 0D Underwater
Underwater Mode
The MCM is designed to operate submerged by reconfiguring the ship's Shields to reinforce the Hull. Reconfiguring requires 1 round, during which the Shields can not be used, and the ship cannot be submerged. The ship can still operate submerged if Shields are unusable, but Speed is reduced to 35; 100km/h and maximum safe depth to 100 meters.

I don't know how I missed this ship the first time. I like what I see. Nice to see the Dual Pulse Laser you helped me create for the MC-v13. Are there any images for this shuttle?

I see for the shields underwater you went an interesting route, that they include the features of both the DeepWater (crush protection) and the MC-13v2 (supercavitation for underwater speed). My suggested revisions for this ship are to decrease the max depth to 500m because this ship has half the shields of the DeepWater, and to increase the max depth without shields to 200m in accordance with its 4D hull and this chart I devised.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I don't know how I missed this ship the first time. I like what I see. Nice to see the Dual Pulse Laser you helped me create for the MC-v13.

I kinda had this ship in the back of my mind as I was working on that project with you, but it wasn't a priority at the time.

Quote:
Are there any images for this shuttle?

I haven't been able to find anything that really works for me. The closest description would be a flattened ovoid with the cockpit toward the front, similar to the Jupiter II from the 1998 Lost In Space remake.

Quote:
I see for the shields underwater you went an interesting route, that they include the features of both the DeepWater (crush protection) and the MC-13v2 (supercavitation for underwater speed).

I'm confused...

My version is almost a direct quote from your Stock MC13v2. The only change I made was moving your Move of 66; 190 kmh to the closest step on the 1E->2E Conversion Table in the Blue Vader Rulebook.

Quote:
My suggested revisions for this ship are to decrease the max depth to 500m because this ship has half the shields of the DeepWater, and to increase the max depth without shields to 200m in accordance with its 4D hull and this chart I devised.

I think I may go the other way and do 3D Hull / 2D Shields to maintain the maximum depth.

Whill

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Hull: 4D
Shields: 1D (2D Backup). 0D Underwater
Underwater Mode
The MCM is designed to operate submerged by reconfiguring the ship's Shields to reinforce the Hull. Reconfiguring requires 1 round, during which the Shields can not be used, and the ship cannot be submerged. The ship can still operate submerged if Shields are unusable, but Speed is reduced to 35; 100km/h and maximum safe depth to 100 meters.

CRMcNeill wrote:
Whill wrote:
I see for the shields underwater you went an interesting route, that they include the features of both the DeepWater (crush protection) and the MC-13v2 (supercavitation for underwater speed).

I'm confused...

My version is almost a direct quote from your Stock MC13v2.

In the MC-13v2, if the shields aren't functional underwater, the only effect is the reduction in the underwater speed. You added to that the maximum safe depth changes to 100 meters without shields, meaning that the shields also function to protect against the pressures of the deep, like the DeepWater. There is nothing in the MC-13's stats about the max depth changing without shields.

The DeepWater depends on a special shield reconfiguration to achieve its max crush depth, while the MC-13 is pointedly a different design philosophy; it has a specialized hull to protect it. Since the MC-13's shields aren't used to protect it from being crushed, I added that the shields explain the underwater speed, so the ship is slower without them. The DeepWater's dependance on shields working to withstand deep pressures is what motivated me to make the MC-13 in the first place. The MC-13 has the same max safe depth wether its shields are working or not, by design.

There's no problem with your ship's shields having both effects if you want it too. I personally just think it is stupid to have a submarine 1 km deep get crushed because if its shields suddenly fail. In my SWU, the only reason that even exists in a couple ships is because it is a less expensive option (the MC-13 is not cheap). But I also reasoned that the MC-13's specialized hull has to be pretty tough to not depend on shields to withstand pressure, which is why I gave it a 5D hull...

CRMcNeill wrote:
Quote:
My suggested revisions for this ship are to decrease the max depth to 500m because this ship has half the shields of the DeepWater, and to increase the max depth without shields to 200m in accordance with its 4D hull and this chart I devised.

I think I may go the other way and do 3D Hull / 2D Shields to maintain the maximum depth.

I think 3D Hull is way too small for it to also have a specialized hull to withstand underwater pressure at 1 km deep, so I would keep the shields the way your stats have it now, having both effects. I see the DeepWater and MC-13 as both having been created before the rise of Palpatine, so there is plenty of time for the Mon Cals to further develop the two specialized shield technologies to the point of combining them into one shield for your ship. In the EU and Canon, MCS did not stop using the specialized shields for a deeper crush depth with the DeepWater. They brought that shield design feature back for the MC-18 freighter. The reason that makes sense to me would be for cost, because specialized shields are cheaper than specialized hulls. One of my plates spinning is an in depth look at a section of the MC-series, MC-11 through MC-18. I think I will give your double-specialized shields to the MC-18, since they have to have the depth protection feature after getting rid of it for the MC-13 and MC-14. It further justifies bringing it back if they are combining the two specialized shields features into one shield.

So anyway, with you changing the Hull to 3D, I would then change the max safe depth without shields to 150m.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. I think I need to spend a little time groking this. One sticking point is that, because the MCM was designed to fit into semi-recessed docking ports on MC-Series cruiser, it would've been a pre-Empire civilian design converted to military use, just like the MCB and the MC-Series ships themselves. As such, having a weaker Hull which in turn requires shields to compensate for would be appropriate.

Whill

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Okay. I think I need to spend a little time groking this.

To summarize, there are two strategies for protecting a hull from deep underwater pressure: specialized shield or a specialized hull. Your ship currently uses shields. Another specialized shield option is to reduce speed. Your ship also has that too.

CRMcNeill wrote:
One sticking point is that, because the MCM was designed to fit into semi-recessed docking ports on MC-Series cruiser, it would've been a pre-Empire civilian design converted to military use, just like the MCB and the MC-Series ships themselves. As such, having a weaker Hull which in turn requires shields to compensate for would be appropriate.

I agree. Make the Hull 3D, make the Shields 2D, and keep the rest as you have it except make the max safe depth without shields 150m. This all fits the timeline well because this is a more modern ship.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Make the Hull 3D, make the Shields 2D, and keep the rest as you have it except make the max safe depth without shields 150m. This all fits the timeline well because this is a more modern ship.

That works. I'm also thinking that, for the Stealth model, rather than reducing Cargo Capacity, switching out the 2D of Backup Shields for a 1D Stealth Backup. The Stealth shields can serve as a standard Backup, or they can be powered up in Stealth mode with the rest of the shields powered down with 0D Backup.

RedKnight
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And reading all of this makes me wonder: would the Mon Cal's or Quarren have been the ones to create the star wars version of the Prometheus class ? and if so how hilarious would that be to see in action against a very surprised ISD ?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedKnight wrote:
And reading all of this makes me wonder: would the Mon Cal's or Quarren have been the ones to create the star wars version of the Prometheus class ? and if so how hilarious would that be to see in action against a very surprised ISD ?

Despite their unique appearance and the extensive use of redundant backups, MonCal ships are relatively conventional otherwise. Having a ship that can break off portions of itself as separate, automated warships (and doing it effectively) is something I'd expect out of either some advanced race from the Unknown Regions or from the CIS during the Clone Wars.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: