The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

New Starship Equipment
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> New Starship Equipment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:01 pm    Post subject: New Starship Equipment Reply with quote

This one is a little Trekish, and is, in fact, based off of the Bussard Ram-Scoops mounted on the Enterprise, but it could be useful for deep space operations.

Mag-Scoop
Cost: 20,000 credits (Availability 2)
Weight: +5 metric tons (replaces ship's Navigation Particle Shields)
Effect:
Much like the Scoop, this system allows a ship to collect matter to recharge its power cells. However, unlike the Scoop, this system functions only in space. When activated, the Mag-Scoop inverts the ship's Navigation shields, using them to draw in matter instead of deflecting it. The collected dust and gas is then fed into a solid fuel convertor (purchased separately) to recharge the ship's power cells.
Restrictions: While the Mag-Scoop is operating, however, the ship is effectively operating without navigation shields (-2D Hull) and is limited to Cautious Speed (any attempt to travel faster is at +10 difficulty).

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice.. As a q/ If they are running it, can they engage regular shields?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Nice.. As a q/ If they are running it, can they engage regular shields?

That depends on how shields work in your SWU. If you follow the WEG line, that a ship's Shield dice are just energy shields, and are ineffective against particles and projectiles, then a ship could run with both Shields and Mag-Scoop operating. Under my version, in which Navigation Shields and Battle Shields are both effective against energy and particles, a ship could not run the Mag-Scoop with its shields up.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been thinking about this one for a bit, mostly because of what I do for a living. I drive a semi-truck for my company's refrigerated division, mostly hauling produce from southern California up to the Pacific Northwest. The main reason for the existence of reefers is the temperature control helps preserve perishable items.

Now, in GG6, one of the available upgrades for space transports is temperature control for the cargo bay. While this is a legitimate concern, depending on what is being transported, it has always annoyed me somewhat when WEG inserts low-tech systems (i.e. systems we already have here in the real world) into a sci-fi universe, especially when things already exist in the SWU that are high-tech solutions to the problem. On top of that, even if you just stick to what WEG offers in GG6, you would be better off getting the environmental convertor, which can control the environment (including temperature) anywhere in the ship.

Anyway, back on topic, this is my next offering as after-market equipment for space transports...

Stasis Field Generator
This device generates a localized entropy field that suspends any object within the field in time. Living beings within the field do not age or change in any way, and are unaware of their surroundings. While used primarily to transport valuable perishables, the field can also be used to secure living beings, such as bounties...
Cost: 1,000 credits per 5 tons converted
Weight: 1 metric ton for every 5 metric tons of cargo converted
Special: The entropy field's boundary has a disruptive effect on objects that contact it, and must be deactivated to place an object in or remove it from the stasis field. Characters who attempt to shove themselves through the boundary rebound off the field and suffer Str+2D normal damage (using their own Strength as a base).

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the things i have always seen SW do different from Trek or Stargate is that there ARE np stasis pods.. That's why they have carbonite freezing/cryo pods.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
One of the things i have always seen SW do different from Trek or Stargate is that there ARE np stasis pods.. That's why they have carbonite freezing/cryo pods.

The first use of stasis pods in the EU was in the Brian Daley novel Han Solo at Star's End, which actually pre-dated WEG's 1st. Edition. It was the source for the Z-95 Headhunter and Victory-Class Star Destroyer, among other things. Carbon freezing may have come along first, but stasis is no less an official part of the SWU than anything else included in the Brian Daley books.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never read those novels.. So couldn't comment on that.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
They are worth the read.

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

The first use of stasis pods in the EU was in the Brian Daley novel Han Solo at Star's End, which actually pre-dated WEG's 1st. Edition. It was the source for the Z-95 Headhunter and Victory-Class Star Destroyer, among other things. Carbon freezing may have come along first, but stasis is no less an official part of the SWU than anything else included in the Brian Daley books.

Well, stasis pods are official EU but I would still say they are less official than anything that appeared in the Lucas films. That is officially how the tiered canon structure worked.

crmcneill wrote:
garhkal wrote:
They are worth the read.

I remember enjoying the Han Solo Adventures when I first read them back in the early 90s. I'd like to read them again some day, where they fall chronologically in the EU's later Han Solo Trilogy from the late 90s.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long does it take to recharge a ship?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
How long does it take to recharge a ship?

Depends on the ship, I suppose. WEG hasn't been hugely clear on this.

Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd probably depend on the quality of the "fuel" coming in.

"OK, Solar Collectors aligned. How long are we looking at before we can use the back-up hyperdrive to jump to a more fuel-friendly system?"

"About half-past never. The trickle charge we're getting out of the star here, with how far away we are, is barely enough to keep life support on. Oh, and half-power lights."

"And if we turn the lights off?"

"Our food stores and water chip won't last long enough for us to get enough charge. And, before you ask, yes, life support is on minimum."

"Is there any good news?"

"With how cold it is, the Lomin Ale will still be quite chilled even with the food storage cooler being offline."
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Well, thanks for looking on the bright side.. Now tell me the bad news"
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"At the rate we drink, we have three days worth of beer."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: