The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Black Hole
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> The Black Hole Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:12 pm    Post subject: The Black Hole Reply with quote

OK, I'm looking at modifying the 1979 Disney movie "The Black Hole" as an adventure.
-The Cygnus will be a Lost Jedi exploration vessel.
-Reinhart will be a Fallen Jedi
-Both V.I.N.CENT. and Maximillion will be equipped with prototype Projective Telepathy Com units. Allowing a Jedi to communicate mentally with the droids. (an homage to the ESP communication in the film)
I found the wright ups over in the characters section, and they will make a nice starting point.
- V.I.N.CENT. and B.O.B will be the only potential allies aboard the Cygnus, and the last remnant of the ships original droid crew.
-A few of the Humanoid Drones will be lobotomized Jedi, and will still read as Force sensitive to a Jedi who is looking. Sensors will read the drones as semi-organic due to heavy cyborging modifications (including to the brain).
-The Cygnus's station holding repulsors will have adverse effects on scanners preventing conclusive results.
-All the Sentry Droids will have a competitive subroutine for blaster marksmanship. (another homage to the film), providing better than average Blasters skill.

One of the big stumbling blocks I have is that Repulsorlifts can counter any gravity well, at least by the descriptions I have found. I really want the ability to hold station near the event horizon to be unique to the Cygnus so I have a couple questions.

-Is there a top end to a repulsorlift's output?

-If I am creating a top end, where is the most logical level?

Thoughts?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: The Black Hole Reply with quote

cynanbloodbane wrote:
- V.I.N.CENT. and B.O.B will be the only potential allies aboard the Cygnus, and the last remnant of the ships original droid crew.

I've played around with the idea of making V.I.N.C.E.N.T. a different type of astromech, based on repulsorlifts instead of wheels/treads. The only real modification needed to his shape would be to allow his arms to fold down from horizontal to vertical so as to fit in the astromech sockets.

Quote:

Well, theoretically speaking, the power required by repulsorlifts should increase in proportion to the power of the gravity field being resisted, so as gravity strength approaches infinity, so also does energy required (at what rate, however, is debatable).

Possible solutions might include a revolutionary power generator that derives energy from the local gravity field, so that in proximity to a black hole, it is generating enough energy to run the ship's repulsorlifts. It could also be some sort of gravity "cloaking device", which bends the local gravity field around the ship and creates a gravity null pocket, regardless of the strength of the gravity field itself (remember, Reinhart was planning on taking the Cygnus into the Black Hole).

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, Repulsor-shields, that's a way to go.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cynanbloodbane wrote:
Ah, Repulsor-shields, that's a way to go.

If you get the techno-babble right.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:54 am    Post subject: Re: The Black Hole Reply with quote

cynanbloodbane wrote:
OK, I'm looking at modifying the 1979 Disney movie "The Black Hole" as an adventure.
-The Cygnus will be a Lost Jedi exploration vessel.
-Reinhart will be a Fallen Jedi
-Both V.I.N.CENT. and Maximillion will be equipped with prototype Projective Telepathy Com units. Allowing a Jedi to communicate mentally with the droids. (an homage to the ESP communication in the film)
I found the wright ups over in the characters section, and they will make a nice starting point.
-A few of the Humanoid Drones will be lobotomized Jedi, and will still read as Force sensitive to a Jedi who is looking. Sensors will read the drones as semi-organic due to heavy cyborging modifications (including to the brain).
-The Cygnus's station holding repulsors will have adverse effects on scanners preventing conclusive results.
-All the Sentry Droids will have a competitive subroutine for blaster marksmanship. (another homage to the film), providing better than average Blasters skill.

One of the big stumbling blocks I have is that Repulsorlifts can counter any gravity well, at least by the descriptions I have found. I really want the ability to hold station near the event horizon to be unique to the Cygnus so I have a couple questions.

-If I am creating a top end, where is the most logical level?

Thoughts?

How are you planning on having the PC's ship get in and back out?
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Defeat all and bring the Cygnus out, steal the probe ship with it's small stabilization module, steal the small stabilization module to install on their ship, repair and modify their ship to be just fast enough with some good flying or a safetys off slingshot blind hyperspace jump to an unknown location.
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't quite fit the movie. What if they fell through the black hole while attempting that hyperspace jump, and the journey through Heaven and Hell was replaced by a voyage to Otherspace? Smile (Or, if you want to go more modern... *shudder*... Mortis). Of course, it would have to be a seed for the next adventure... but heck, if this is set far enough back (I assume, by the mention of multiple Jedi), it could lead into a rise-of-the-Charon Otherspace prequel, which would be pretty boss.

Hard core OT, all the way!
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I also suggest, instead of dealing with telepathy with a machine, that you work on a Subvocal Comm Unit that allows for subvocal communication? Keeps the atmosphere and is feasible..
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Set post clone wars, but not by much. 17-18 BBY.

I am going to need to read up on the otherspace adventures. I can see that as Reinhart's destination, and the black hole is his way in. Making it also a way out for the PCs.
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
May I also suggest, instead of dealing with telepathy with a machine, that you work on a Subvocal Comm Unit that allows for subvocal communication? Keeps the atmosphere and is feasible..

I was going to restrict the use to force sensitives with the force power. The unit is based on holocron technology, but even more expensive and complicated. VINCENT's was a prototype, just to see if it could be done. Max was designed for it to be his prime form of communication. He understands spoken language, but only converses telepathicly with Reinhart, internal comma with the other droids.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:

Seconded. The SWU is pretty clear about the dividing line between Force Sensitive and non when it comes to droids.

cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, the droids are in no way force sensitive. These two contain a holocron like device that allows a force user to interface directly with a Droid on a very simplistic level. 1-2 word messages or commands, no more. The project was abandoned due to cost and lack of progress. These two units are the only ones still in existence.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cynanbloodbane wrote:
Agreed, the droids are in no way force sensitive. These two contain a holocron like device that allows a force user to interface directly with a Droid on a very simplistic level. 1-2 word messages or commands, no more. The project was abandoned due to cost and lack of progress. These two units are the only ones still in existence.

That just seems silly to me. As shootingwomprats said, you'd get the same effect with an internal comlink for the droids and a comlink implant for the organics. In essence, you are talking about a massive expense for a relatively useless experimental technology that could easily have the same effect replicated by much more mundane technology, all to hammer a Black Hole-shaped peg into a Star Wars-shaped hole.

However, if you are committed to going this route, I would drop the Holocron reference, as Holocrons are exceedingly rare. It might work better if you tied it in with the Force Detector. While I personally try to avoid involving Kevin Anderson and all his works in my SWU, there are some possibilities here. Since in your campaign, Bob and Vincent were designed by the Jedi, part of their purpose could be to serve as mobile scanning platforms for Force Detectors, using integrated sensors to scan potential candidates for Force sensitivity, with the ability to communicate on basic level (basically, the SWU equivalent of Morse Code) as an unintended side effect.

cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Projective Telepathy Crystaline Matrix
Use of this device allows a force sensitive to send simplistic commands or messages (1-2 words) to a droid equipped with the device. Due to the inability of droids to understand sentient emotions unintended commands are sometimes sent. If a force user with 1 or more darkside points attempts to use this device there is a chance equal to or less than the character's total DSPs on the roll of 1D that the Droid receives a negative emotion and interprets it as an order of hostility toward all life. Such droids have a tendency to go rogue if not carefully handled.

At the start of the adventure, VINCENT's unit is currently inactive. Both he & BOB will have been relligated to parts requisition and repair. BOB has a damaged vocalizer, & internal comms. VINCENT has recently had a memory wipe, making BOB the only source of a historical account, if his damage can be repaired.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
cynanbloodbane wrote:

That just seems silly to me. As shootingwomprats said, you'd get the same effect with an internal comlink for the droids and a comlink implant for the organics. In essence, you are talking about a massive expense for a relatively useless experimental technology that could easily have the same effect replicated by much more mundane technology, all to hammer a Black Hole-shaped peg into a Star Wars-shaped hole.

I agree, droid-organic telepathy does seem silly and unnecessary. But of course, whatever floats your sail barge.

crmcneill wrote:
However, if you are committed to going this route, I would drop the Holocron reference, as Holocrons are exceedingly rare. It might work better if you tied it in with the Force Detector. While I personally try to avoid involving Kevin Anderson and all his works in my SWU, there are some possibilities here. Since in your campaign, Bob and Vincent were designed by the Jedi, part of their purpose could be to serve as mobile scanning platforms for Force Detectors, using integrated sensors to scan potential candidates for Force sensitivity, with the ability to communicate on basic level (basically, the SWU equivalent of Morse Code) as an unintended side effect.

But don't forget that the prequel Jedi order just had a simple blood test for Force-sensitivity. Since even in the classic films the Force has a biological basis, the blood test makes way more sense than Kevin Anderson's "Force-scanners". Rolling Eyes But again, whatever floats your sail barge.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: