The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

force attribute
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> force attribute
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:31 pm    Post subject: force attribute Reply with quote

Someone said they use a force attribute in the games they run. I cannot remember who. I was going to ask if I could see the rules?
nuclearwookiee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestion is to just create a seventh attribute--call it "Force" or whatever. This is treated like the other six attributes. A character who is not Force sensitive cannot place starting attribute dice in this attribute and can never improve the attribute unless they become Force sensitive down the road (i.e., not Force sensitive = attribute min and max of 0d). A Force sensitive character can place up to 3d from their starting 18d attribute dice into the Force attribute (I picked three because a character could normally use up to 3d--one dice in each Control, Sense, and Alter). The character gets to select one Force power known per dice placed into the attribute.

Now Control, Sense, and Alter function as any other skill. For example, if you wanted to go all out Jedi at character creation, you could use up 3d attribute dice to have a 3d Force attribute, then use some of your starting 7d skill dice to buy up the individual Force skills. But because attributes are rolled whenever you don't have the actual skill, the character can still roll his Force attribute dice to activate the Force powers he starts the game with (or learns later), even if he doesn't increase the individual skills above and beyond the starting Force attribute score.

Ex. Iwannabe Kenobi wants to do nothing but swing a lightsaber right out of the gate. He puts 3d in his Force attribute (leaving only 15d for his other six attributes). He then uses the max of 2d per Force skill. He now has a Force attribute of 3d, a Control skill of 5d, a Sense skill of 5d, and an alter skill of 5d, but only 1d left to spend on another skill. And he is no fun to play because he's a total failball at everything else.

As you can see from this extreme example, using some variation of a Force attribute is a great way to jumpstart a Force character, but has potential for abuse. As an alternative, you could also impose a hard cap on the functional starting level of the Force powers of, say, 3d. That way, if a character puts 3d in the Force attribute, he can't use any starting skill dice to improve it further. If he only puts 2d attribute dice into the Force attribute, he could spend up to 1d skill dice each in Control, Sense, and Alter to buy them up to three, etc. Tailor to suit your needs.

Also, I wouldn't recommend this for a longer running game involving a mix of Jedi and non-Jedi. This is designed more to get your Jedi type characters using Force powers earlier in the game. But this just means they will start eclipsing non-Jedi characters sooner as well.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rules-wise, that's pretty much what we ended up with when we discussed it here in the past. It basically mirrors the Metaphysics attribute in D6 Space.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
nuclearwookiee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Rules-wise, that's pretty much what we ended up with when we discussed it here in the past. It basically mirrors the Metaphysics attribute in D6 Space.

Good to know! Figured I had to be in the ballpark. I'll have to check out d6 Space sometime.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some differences between the two; D6 Space does not have multi-skill powers (everything would be either Control, Sense or Alter, with no combinations).

A fun way to counter overpowered Jedi using this method is to use disturbances in the Force to make them known to the Empire's Jedi Hunters. Basically, the higher they roll, the greater the disturbance in the Force, and the more lethal the threat hunting them. If played right, the Jedi player will be in a quandary, as they will have power, but will have to be very judicious about using it.

atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, we even did up a table that did a rough relationship bectween Midichorlian count ant FORCE stat.

Oh, and on a related note, some of us came up with the idea of simplifying Force powers by using one roll to activate them - which would be similar to D6 Space. Take the lowest of the applicable Force skills and roll against the highest difficulty listed.
Quetzacotl
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
Oh, and on a related note, some of us came up with the idea of simplifying Force powers by using one roll to activate them - which would be similar to D6 Space. Take the lowest of the applicable Force skills and roll against the highest difficulty listed.

You could also add up the force skills that are being used and roll with that against the the combined difficulty.

i.e. when you have 3D+1 Control and 4D+2 Alter and have a Force Power with Dif. 13 for Control and Dif. 23 for Alter, then you would roll 7D+3 against 36.

This, of course, would lead to the fact that you could compensate a weak skill with a strong one (i.e. 1D+1 Control and 6D+2 Alter would also result in 7D+3 for the above).

The advantage to just using the sum would be to take all difficulties into consideration, but the "disadvantage" would be that you could compensate...
But well, the "lowest Skill vs. highes difficulty" suffers from a similiar Problem where you can't use a Power anymore that, when rolled seperately, would be easy.

For example Control 2D and Alter 6D with Control Diff 5 and Alter Diff 20.
If you use "lowest vs. highest" you would roll 2D against 20, which is not really feasible, even so when rolling seperately, it would be possible.
Adding them would give you 8D against 25, which has much better odds then rolling seperately...
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read several arguments in favor of paring down the multi-skill Force powers, but I happen to be in favor of keeping them the way they are. Adding in a Force Attribute is already increasing a Jedi's power as a starting character, and shifting everything down to a single roll puts a lot of the higher-end powers much closer to his reach. I like the fact that MAPs help keep some limits on Force powers, and I don't see the need to change it. If someone was using a system like D6 Magic, that would be a different story.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: