The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Using Technical skills for Sabotage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Using Technical skills for Sabotage Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cynanbloodbane wrote:
garhkal wrote:
crmcneill wrote:
Sounds good, but there is an additional element, in that actually getting to the proper place to perform the sabotage will require a little storytelling and other skill rolls, like Sneak or Con. If anything, the more damaging it is, the harder it should be to get to; you shouldn't just be able to pull it up on the personal entertainment console in the crew lounge.

Agreed. Such as regular 'orders of the day', and things like the military's plan of the weeks, should be able to get accessed from most anywhere, but things such as code phrases of the day, security routines/watch schedules and such would require specific locations to get to.

Don't forget to give a +10 bonus to a PC that thinks to carry a clipboard. Nobody questions someone with a clipboard, it could reflect badly on the review...
Seriously Con is the most likely skill for me to force the players to role play out completely before I let them roll dice. The quality of the players story will impact the difficulty or resistance roll. If the players are engaged and fully playing to the cinematic feel of the Star Wars universe, they will most likely get an easy roll.

Or a tool box or bag.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That should translate into a bonus to Disguise.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
dic1
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, the clipboard.
Walks up to guard "I have orders to give this report to the captain"
when the guard turns to call on com system hits him over the head with it.
Never underestimate the usefulness of the clipboard.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonus points for the clipboard idea. Always a classic.

I agree that this doesn't require complex game mechanics, just pick a difficulty number based on what the player (or nefarious NPC) wants to do. Might be a good idea to modify the number based on how obvious they want the sabotage to be, to cater to the sneaky players (and GMs!). I wouldn't require a separate Hide roll (unless maybe you're planting a bomb, but that's a completely different skill). Rather, just up the target number and roll the bones.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dic1 wrote:
Ah yes, the clipboard.

So would a clipboard be Str+1 damage, Str+2 damage, or Str+1d damage?
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
dic1 wrote:
Ah yes, the clipboard.

So would a clipboard be Str+1 damage, Str+2 damage, or Str+1d damage?

Depends on how reinforced it was.

In the wrath squadron books one of the chars had a data pad with a reinforced edge for an improvised weapon. That was the excuse, was hiding explosives.
dic1
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i remember correctly R2 was told of the sabotage by cloud city's computer system.

In our game we describe what effect we are attempting with our sabotage and roll the appropriate repair skill, that is the difficulty to find and repair the damage.
Similar to disarming a booby trap, opposed demolitions rolls.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do the same in my games, opposed repair rolls for finding and fixing sabotaged systems.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like some forms of techical sabotage could simplycome down to a basic hide roll.

For example, cutting a wire that is inside a panel, and then hiding that wire beneath/amidst a bunch of other wires.

Or simply disconnecting a component just enough so that it is not actually plugged in, but looks like it is (in some cases, components tht do certain things may be common knowldge, like a car battery or a light bulb, etc.).

Lastly, sometimes the sabotage can be "protectd" by obstacles. For example, a force user could use telekinesis to move a refridgerator and then unplug it, and the put it back in its place. Since refridgerators are hard to move, the ability to "repair" to sabotage is limited to the ability to move the refridgerator first.. so there is a lifting component there, even though the tecnical aspect wouldn't even require a roll.
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may help!

Shouldn't "Slicing" be an available Technical skill? It's been in the SW universe nearly from the start; it was first given a name in the Thrawn Trilogy way back in the early 90's.

To me, Slicing has always meant "mischief with computers" so it would fit your needs if any computers are involved.

I could see a Slicing skill getting a results tree similar to others, and the good news is you can make it one roll.

Or has this already been done in a sourcebook somewhere?!?!
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error wrote:
This may help!

Shouldn't "Slicing" be an available Technical skill? It's been in the SW universe nearly from the start; it was first given a name in the Thrawn Trilogy way back in the early 90's.

To me, Slicing has always meant "mischief with computers" so it would fit your needs if any computers are involved.

I could see a Slicing skill getting a results tree similar to others, and the good news is you can make it one roll.

That falls under computer programming/repair, maybe security.
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Savar wrote:
Error wrote:
This may help!

Hmm, I disagree, though the RAW may agree with you.

From what I'm getting, anything that is the opposite of "Repair X" could still be a "Repair X" roll.

E.g., I want to sabotage a server...I roll my Computer programming/repair.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error wrote:
Savar wrote:

Hmm, I disagree, though the RAW may agree with you.

From what I'm getting, anything that is the opposite of "Repair X" could still be a "Repair X" roll.

E.g., I want to sabotage a server...I roll my Computer programming/repair.

RAW does agree with him. Slicing is more under the "Programming" aspect than Repair. But don't get hung up on skill names. If they seem insufficient to you then you can easily just rename them. I long ago shortened the name of the skill to simply "Computers". It covers general interfacing and using computers, programming, repairing and slicing.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had considered combining Droid Programming with Computer Programming, but then I started to wonder if programming a fully functional AI might be a tad more complex than programming a datapad.

If anything, I would think Slicing would be good as an Advanced Skill, with Computer Programming /Repair and Communications as pre-requisites.

However, I do think Droid Repair would be a better fit as Droid / Cybernetics Repair, focusing on the hardware of animated machinery, maybe with the ability to repair Power Armor, as well.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Droid programming is focused on working with an AI and likely uses an entirely different programming languages than computer programming.

I keep droid repair as a separate skill because a droid is more complex than a backhoe, and has as little in common with programming. Droid repair means you have to be able to repair or replace repulsor lifts, wheeled drive systems, magnetic feet, walkers, multiple gripping arms, sensors, winches, jets, circular saws, vocabulators, databases, armor, blasters, shields, hydraulics, scomp links, comlinks, hands, arms feet, and probably more things I can't think of.

Computer repair tends to be much simpler. Plug and play, no moving parts, except fans. Sure, there are more difficult skill checks, like recovering a magnetized hard drive, but all-in-all I don't have a problem keeping computer programming/repair as one skill.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: