The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Damage resistance
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Damage resistance Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Damage resistance Reply with quote

If a race had no internal organs, would you give a bonus to resist physical(not energy) damage? If so would you treat it as natural armor or something else?
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an example in old EU - Ugors. Basically giant amoeba-like creatures. http://d6holocron.com/wiki/index.php?title=Ugor

I might give 'em a bonus to resist physical damage, but I would likely give no more than +2D, and probably restrict myself to +1D. Even though they have no conventional inner organs, they probably have a membrane or sack or skin-equivalent of sorts - and puncturing that skin analogue could arguably be more catastrophic for them than for a more conventional humanoid - depending on how they worked.

They might not be able to survive getting a tattoo, for instance, in an extreme case - or at least not be particularly fond of scarification or branding.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see giving them some variety of damage resistance; I'd be inclined to call it equal to Padded armor in D6 fantasy... a d6 of damage resistance.

But, as Zarn said, a lot depends on what they are. The Ugors would be different from carbosilicate amorphs... which might be fun to stat up.
Giant Tourtiere
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also look at it from the opposite POV: do you want this race to be difficult to damage? If so, 'no internal organs' definitely makes sense as a reason to give them some form of damage resistance. (I tend to agree that anything over +2D risks being overpowered) If not, as Zarn pointed out, it's just as plausible to say that their unusual physiology doesn't provide any benefits along those lines.

This is tangential, but I think you'd also be potentially justified in saying there's a penalty to attempts to treat these guys with First Aid or Medicine unless the character is familiar with their biology. Might somewhat balance them being hard to hurt in the first place.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Damage resistance Reply with quote

Savar wrote:
If a race had no internal organs, would you give a bonus to resist physical(not energy) damage? If so would you treat it as natural armor or something else?

Since the Ugor (those amorphous beings) don't gain any special soak rules, i would lean to no. Plus how can somehting live without organs??

Quote:
This is tangential, but I think you'd also be potentially justified in saying there's a penalty to attempts to treat these guys with First Aid or Medicine unless the character is familiar with their biology. Might somewhat balance them being hard to hurt in the first place.

THis is why it pays to take the Alien Species skill!!
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
I could see giving them some variety of damage resistance; I'd be inclined to call it equal to Padded armor in D6 fantasy... a d6 of damage resistance.

But, as Zarn said, a lot depends on what they are. The Ugors would be different from carbosilicate amorphs... which might be fun to stat up.

Lol that is what I am trying to make.

I am making a setting for D6, not Star Wars, and this is the most active board I have found that is close.

I was thinking a couple dice in resistance to physical damage and a couple dice resistance to poison. Using the D6 concept of omnivorous and Elasticity.

I was thinking set attributes.
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giant Tourtiere wrote:

What first aid?
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Since the Ugor (those amorphous beings) don't gain any special soak rules, i would lean to no. Plus how can somehting live without organs??

By being a non-differentiated colony creature... something like a nanite swarm, where each individual piece contributes to the total consciousness.

Savar wrote:
MrNexx wrote:

Lol that is what I am trying to make.

Ok, well, if we're talking carbosilicate amorphs...

DEX 2D/4D
KNW 1D/3D
MCH 1D/3D
PER 2D/4D
STR 3D/5D
TCH 1D/3D

Our observed amorphs are not really primitive... they're pretty stupid, but also scarily strong and with insane senses.... however, their senses don't really translate to the social aspects that PER covers. So, for their abilities, maybe something like:

Enhanced Senses: Carbosilicate Amorphs have a wide range of enhanced senses, and receive a bonus of +2D to Search checks involving scent, touch, taste, and hearing.

Non-differentiated Structure: Carbosilicate Amorphs are evolved storage mediums, with a non-differentiated structure; any one part of an amorph can contain all of an amorph's knowledge and abilities, and only sudden vaporization of an amorph with energy weapons can significantly hinder one for long.
This translates to amorphs having a +2D to resist all damage done to their person, save for that done by energy weapons, fire, or vacuum, but including acids, bases, toxins, and physical weapons. Given a supply of biomass and certain key minerals, an amorph can rapidly recover from significant injury, or even increase their size up to speeder scale. They are also capable of squeezing into any space wide enough to admit their eyes, spreading their volume into nearly any given surface area for that volume, and have no need to breathe.
Amorphs heal by eating; conventional medicine has no effect on them. While they can use nearly any biomass or non-reactive mineral to make a natural healing roll every hour, certain mineral cocktails can speed that to once every ten minutes.

Weakness: Non-integral eyes. Amorphs do not naturally have eyes. Their home planet has an engineered plant, creatively known as "eye trees", which produce eyes that amorphs can integrate into their physiology. However, those eyes are very vulnerable; they resist damage with only 1D, and any time they are specifically targeted, or the amorph rolls a 1 on the wild die while receiving enough damage to become Incapacitated or worse, the eyes must resist damage, separately. If destroyed, the eyes must be replaced with fresh samples from the eye trees.

Weakness: Significant Damage: Amorphs who are significantly damaged (Mortally Wounded) are not necessarily killed, but will suffer side effects. When rolling to recover from Mortally Wounded, any result of 2-6 on the Natural Healing roll results in a loss of a like number of Character Points. If the Amorph has no character points unassigned, there will be a degradation of skills, until those skills reach the base attributes. Thus, if the amorph rolls a 2 on the Natural healing roll, they will lose 2 CP, or 2 CP worth of skills. This is always accompanied by significant memory loss.
Methedor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are using Open D6 it is likely listed as Medicine. In Star Wars Firstaid is a general medical skill covering a variety of non surgical care while Medicine is an Advanced skill covering Surgery, Pathology, Cyberization, Bacta Ops etc.
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all.

It's always nice to get responses.
Giant Tourtiere
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Damage resistance Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

THis is why it pays to take the Alien Species skill!!

Always put some dice in Alien Species.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that "May lose CP and/or skill" downside, but since it is ONLY going to come up if they get taken to mortally wounded, i don't really see it (and the eye issue) as being sufficient balancers for their benefits.. That +2 to search rolls for 4 of the 5 senses is a biggy..
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I like that "May lose CP and/or skill" downside, but since it is ONLY going to come up if they get taken to mortally wounded, i don't really see it (and the eye issue) as being sufficient balancers for their benefits.. That +2 to search rolls for 4 of the 5 senses is a biggy..

The Carbosilicate Amorphs are a pretty unbalanced species. They're not terribly bright, and they're prevented from wearing armor or most other defensive items, but that's not a huge deal, and they easily shrug off a lot of physical weapons.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if you know they are pretty unbalanced, why allow them?
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
So if you know they are pretty unbalanced, why allow them?

In the D6 setting I am working on they will be limited, unable to use supernatural abilities.

Also the cost for the race will be high.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: