The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Sexuality in a Star Wars scenario
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Sexuality in a Star Wars scenario Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
higgipedia
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Sexuality in a Star Wars scenario Reply with quote

DirkCorman wrote:
With the announcement of a lesbian character in the soon to be published novel 'Lords of the Sith', how do my fellow Rancors GM a gay, lesbian or bisexual relationship?

Myself, I've only done it once, but it was done with a lot of care and sensitivity.

I've got a character I'm uploading soon who is bisexual and not afraid of using her sexuality to get what she wants, she is a Dark Jedi though..

The care and sensitivity part is clutch. I think, ultimately, what works for your group works for your group. I think saying "this is how you run this sensitive topic" strays close to declaring things badwrongfun. Each group will have its own sensitivities and bring certain things to the gaming table. If it's going to make people at (and around) the table uncomfortable, it's probably something that should be pretty thoroughly examined before it's added in.

But yeah, I totally see a sexual side of Dark Jedi, given that the Sith Code says "there is only passion." Given that sexuality is VERY toned down in any official materials I've seen, this is something that would probably be explored better at a game table that is cool with it.

Of course, now I'm contemplating the tantric applications of the Force... LOL
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sexuality? I'd probably have it all off camera as Star Wars is PG-13.

Homosexuality? I'd definately have it off camera only, limit it to dark side characters only, and award a dark side point to force sensitive characters.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volar the Healer wrote:
Sexuality? I'd probably have it all off camera as Star Wars is PG-13.

Homosexuality? I'd definately have it off camera only, limit it to dark side characters only, and award a dark side point to force sensitive characters.

Volar, it is clear what your real-world view on homosexuality is, but your statement is curious. Being GM and roleplaying all the NPCs, how would you suggest or imply offscreen homosexuality of dark side characters?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've only twice had any sexuality in our game. One married couple who "locked themselves in their starship cabin" and was late for their shifts once in a while. Everyone smiled and went back to work. I think this is appropriately PG-13. And a pair of lovers (boyfriend/girlfriend IRL) who were both killed by the Empire before they could do much. (Probably because they were distracted. Their characters were not focused on the war going on all around them.) We never had anyone try to seduce an NPC for information. As for xenosexuality, I have absolutely no idea what to do with that. It never came up in our game, either.

Some of my buddies are not exactly paragons of virtue, but there is a point beyond which they will not go; not in real life, and not in the game. We, only once, had a character who would commit murder (during a war!). The group's response to that was very negative. I suspect this is because half of my group was prior military, and morality is very important in war. And I always tried to steer my players into being the heroes...the good guys.

Your question isn't one I've encountered while GMing. So, I guess I would handle as I did the above two examples. But, evil is evil. So, I'd treat it the same as I would any other. Force sensitive characters receive dark side points anytime they activley commit evil. But, I award darkside points to those who are not force sensitive, only for murder.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volar the Healer wrote:
Volar the Healer wrote:
Your question isn't one I've encountered while GMing.

I've never encountered a GM who felt homosexuality was wrong and even bothered putting it in his game at all. I wasn't questioning your rules for giving out DSPs or any game mechanics. You still haven't answered my question, but that's ok. You don't have to. As a GM I generally agree with the "PG-13 rating" of the game, but I was just trying to better understand how your opposing view on homosexuality impacts you as a GM and the topic of this thread. I was just curious how exactly you would roleplay a Dark Side NPC to achieve the effect of suggesting or implying to your players his offscreen homosexuality. Just showing your male villain walking out of a bar with his arm around another male before he sees the PCs and attacks? Or what? I only ask because, if a GM personally feels real-world homosexuality is immoral, I would think it would just be easier to not have it enter your game at all in the slightest way. Not even bothering with any subtle implications of what might happen offscreen.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I had answered your question. If I have not, I guess I do not understand your question. I would not role play this. Neither would any of my buddies. It just isn't Star Wars.
Panzerjedi
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Sexuality in a Star Wars scenario Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

This hasn't happened yet, but if I ever had a player that wanted to play a homosexual or bisexual character because it was a significant aspect of his character concept, I doubt I would have any issue with it as long it remained a subtle aspect of the game, the same as any sexuality. If another player had a problem with a homosexual or bisexual character concept that the player and I approved for the game, then I would probably tell the other player to deal with it or leave. What century is this? I've got no use for bigotry in my life, even at the game table.

Whill I'll need to disagree, feeling an act is morally WRONG isn't bigotry, so much as feeling it is wrong in your moral code......... bigotry is more... hate based behavior toward an individual/group who does not meet your standards. You can feel someone else's code or morality is wrong, but unless you are doing something to hurt that individual or group... its not bigotry...... its a difference of morals/opinion.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would remind you Whill, that YOU asked US a question. I did you the courtesy of answering you. This website has a lot of different opinions. There are many examples in the threads of people who disagree. That's part of what the website is for.

If you truly cannot handle that different opinions than yours exist, well...there are better ways to handle it than name calling. I wish the best for you. Peace.
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volar the Healer wrote:
I would remind you Whill, that YOU asked US a question. I did you the courtesy of answering you. This website has a lot of different opinions. There are many examples in the threads of people who disagree. That's part of what the website is for.

If you truly cannot handle that different opinions than yours exist, well...there are better ways to handle it than name calling.
I wish the best for you. Peace.

Yes there has clearly been an misunderstanding. Panzerjedi was quoting a post from much earlier in the thread before you entered the discussion. No one using this forum has been called any names by anyone in this thread. And, what I think you are accusing me as name calling was regarding a hypothetical player that does not actually exist anyway.

Us? I did not ever ask Panzerjedi or anyone but you a question. You said, "Homosexuality? I'd definately have it off camera only". I'd is a contraction for I would. I was asking how you would handle it because I would think you wouldn't even bother having it at all (not even off screen). But it is clear that I have failed to make that question clear because you have stated you do not understand. I am truly sorry for asking. Please don't bother yourself trying to understand the question further. I retract the question. You were pleasant enough in stating your opinion, so I thought we could have a pleasant conversation about homosexuality in the RPG. Now that this thread has so quickly degraded to condescension to extremely experienced forum moderators and false accusations of name-calling out of nowhere, I admit I was wrong. I was just trying to reach across the aisle and better understand opposing views in a peaceful discussion.

I'll leave this thread here for the record, but this thread is closed. If anyone has any concerns about it, please feel free to PM me. Thank you, and peace to you all.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: Sexuality in a Star Wars scenario Reply with quote

I enjoyed the xenosexual humor in this thread, but here is the heart of the serious discussion...

DirkCorman wrote:
Sexuality in a Star Wars scenario...

Whill wrote:
When I first read this thread topic, the first thing that popped into my head was when a 16 year-old player whose PC was based at Hoth tried to seduce Leia because he wanted to take her virginity before Han did, lol.

But now I see that this thread isn't asking about sexuality in general. It is specifically about homosexuality.

DirkCorman wrote:
With the announcement of a lesbian character in the soon to be published novel 'Lords of the Sith'

I had missed that announcement about the lesbian Moff. And I just now found about Karen Traviss creating male married Mandalorians, but the web pages I just read didn't mention the A.C. Crispin's Sarn Shild, the gay Moff in The Hutt Gambit (1997).

DirkCorman wrote:
how do my fellow Rancors GM a gay, lesbian or bisexual relationship?

Myself, I've only done it once, but it was done with a lot of care and sensitivity.

I handle homosexuality and bisexuality the same exact way I handle heterosexuality and xenosexuality: subtly with innuendo, whenever sexuality of any kind rarely even enters my game. It's really just a genre/style content thing. I don't approve of real world profanity in my game (outside of the minor words that is in the films like hell and d*mn), but it's not that my players and I are offended by profanity.

I've never felt I had to handle any sexuality with a lot of care and sensitivity. I can only remember ever having one or two players who I knew or strongly suspected were homophobic, and they only played in a few adventures where sexuality didn't come up.

This hasn't happened yet, but if I ever had a player that wanted to play a homosexual or bisexual character because it was a significant aspect of his character concept, I doubt I would have any issue with it as long it remained a subtle aspect of the game, the same as any sexuality. If another player had a problem with a homosexual or bisexual character concept that the player and I approved for the game, then I would probably tell the other player to deal with it or leave.

cheshire wrote:
Strangely, sexuality hasn't much appeared at the table very often. Either players or characters. I mean, we know that we have our personal lives, and that sexual orientation is a part of it, but it isn't usually a major talking point at the table.

We have players that are gay or lesbian, though I've never thought it important enough to find out whether their characters are. As I said, sexuality doesn't really enter the game much at all. There are no romantic ties that connect our players (this was actually an important thing to me, that I was actually playing my wife's character's younger brother, and not a romantic partner). And there are few romantic ties to NPCs.

Sexuality has been present in other games, though it is all by back story and innuendo. There's never been anything explicit such as, "I seduce the priestess." (To quote Gamers: Dorkness Rising)

DirkCorman wrote:
I was just seeing what you thought..

I think that now, I would let things happen between characters without any pushing.

TheDoctor wrote:
I think Whil hit it on the nail. The problem with peoples' perception of homosexuality is that they immediately jump mentally to sex acts. People skip the subtler aspects of homosexual romance such as simple hand holding, cuddling and simple kisses.

Basically if Han and Leia can say that they love each other, hold hands, share an on screen kiss. I suppose one way to imagine a homosexual alternative is if Han kissed Luke instead!

That all said, it really isn't all that difficult to GM or for anyone older than 14 to handle.

jawa1138 wrote:
Or even the more subtle aspects such as companionship and loyalty. These could be a far more important factor in a rpg setting then physical contact.

higgipedia wrote:
The care and sensitivity part is clutch. I think, ultimately, what works for your group works for your group. I think saying "this is how you run this sensitive topic" strays close to declaring things badwrongfun. Each group will have its own sensitivities and bring certain things to the gaming table. If it's going to make people at (and around) the table uncomfortable, it's probably something that should be pretty thoroughly examined before it's added in.

But yeah, I totally see a sexual side of Dark Jedi, given that the Sith Code says "there is only passion." Given that sexuality is VERY toned down in any official materials I've seen, this is something that would probably be explored better at a game table that is cool with it.

Thank you to those who participated.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: