The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Lightsaber features
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Lightsaber features Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should WHITE be allowed as a lightsaber blade color?
Sure
84%
 84%  [ 76 ]
No, because they aren't in the movies/games
4%
 4%  [ 4 ]
No, because there are no crystals that allow them
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
No, because you can't have white without black
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
No, but I don't know why
3%
 3%  [ 3 ]
I don't know / I have no opinion
4%
 4%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 90

Esjs
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Lightsaber features Reply with quote

What have been some of your favorite/memorable/unique lightsaber features used in a game? Things like:
Unique blade color?
Blade length control?
Security features?

I've always considered my Jedi character's lightsaber to be very unique:

A) The blade color is WHITE - It seems that Lucasarts doesn't like have White as a color option for lightsaber blades, and I've often wondered why. (What do you think? Take the poll.)
B) The activation switch system - I'm very proud of this. Here's how it works:
    -There is an internal switch that only Cassar (my Jedi) knows about, since he built the saber alone. This is the primary switch, and kind of acts like a pilot light (you'll see what I mean in a moment).
    -There is also an external switch that mostly acts like a deadman switch.
    -In general, Cassar first throws the internal switch with Telekinesis. I know the rules state that the Jedi must "see" object being moved with TK, but we've often played that as long as the Jedi "knows" where the object is, he can move it. Anyway...
    -After the saber has been activated with the internal switch, Cassar can hold down the external (deadman) switch, which locks the blade ON as long as he is holding it down (even if he then switches off the internal switch).

Basically the point is that if Cassar were ever struck down or incapacitated, nobody else could then steal and use his lightsaber (unless they know about the internal switch, but that should be nobody Wink )

(Let me know if I need to explain this further).
RedFox
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have problems with a variety of lightsaber colors. I mean, it's all just sfx anyway, no need to be anal. The only stuff I'd keep out of it is goofy s*** like "invisible" blades (ultra-violet and the like) and weird-@$$ lava-lamp stuff.

The most common blades are going to be from the most common crystals though, such as green, blue, and orange/red. Other blade colors are going to be harder to find the crystals for, but that's about it.

All IMO.

I have Star Wars stuff!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Xzil Maru
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always like sticking a comlink or electronic lockpick or holdout blaster or some other gizmo in the saber. I hardly ever get to play, let alone play Jedi but that would be what I would do.

As for color, I don't care. I've never really cared. Although I think a lava lamp blade would ruin the mood/setting unless you were playing a romp or comedy. And the bong saber would also be out.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if memory serves Corran used a silver blade at one time. That's pretty close to white in terms of coloring light so why not have a white blade? I believe the Essential Guide to Characters, the original one, described Obi-Wan's blade as being blue with a white core so it's not really all that hard to picture it being possible.

Though just imagine what a lightsaber with a black light blade would be like in the dark, especially with someone running around with a lightsaber with a white blade. For effects that would really be out there.

Wanted Poster
Xzil Maru
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh man, I keep expecting someone to start arguing color theory about how white is all colors, and black is the absence of them or something. I'm not used to forums that don't burst into flamewars ever other post.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Jedi character was played in a campaign set during the time of the Rebellion, so he had to hide his lightsaber. He built it in a flashlight case (complete with Eveready on the side). Anyone flicking the only external switch would turn on the flashlight; but the lightsaber switch was internal and was designed to be activated using telekenesis. The rust and scratches caused more than one custom official to believe it was nothing more than a poorly made primitive device. He always carried it in his first aid pouch next to the bandages to reinforce that idea. A detailed scan would have shown the locking clasps which could only be released from the inside.

When this light saber was first designed (1980 or so) it's blade was white with a blue tint.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, on Knights of the Old Republic 2 you can find a silver crystal fro your lightsaber, that will generate a blade that's essentially white. I didn't think it looked very cool, tough...

I agree, all colors are game, just no funky light effects.
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.

Do you guys ever consider the so-called "canon" when you think about lightsaber colors? I mean, all we've seen in the movies has been blue, green, and red, which is what leads me to believe that these should be the only possible colors...and purple reserved for the head of the Jedi (though this theory doesn't hold up since Luke's second saber is green).

In the Clone Wars cartoons, I remember seeing Barriss Offee and Luminara Unduli in a cave with the crystals...there was green, blue, and some purple.

I have tended to shy away from using other colors because I am not certain of the significance of the colors in terms of the force.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are different levels of canon and the Expanded Universe is in one of those levels. There are many more different colors in the Expanded Universe than there are in the movies, which makes more sense to allow more than just the original three, and now a fourth, movie colors.

Wanted Poster
RedFox
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellcat wrote:
There are different levels of canon and the Expanded Universe is in one of those levels. There are many more different colors in the Expanded Universe than there are in the movies, which makes more sense to allow more than just the original three, and now a fourth, movie colors.

Plus, I find sticking to canon largely silly when it comes to lightsaber colours. We've not seen a whole lot of the things (prior to the arena scene in Ep2) and lightsabers are each supposed to be unique and personal weapons anyway.

S'why I allow a lot of customization with 'em. I enjoy having every PC being given the opportunity to make their lightsaber just the way they want it, as a reflection of their personality.

I have Star Wars stuff!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MA-3PO
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Power of the Jedi sourcebook for D20 mentions on page 55:

"Before the Battle of Ruusan, Jedi had access to that world's crystal deposits and crystals of every known hue. With the detonation of the Sith thought bomb, Ruusan crystals the became unavailable. During the height of the Jedi Order, throughout the Rise of the Empire era, and until the end of the Rebellion era, Jedi could only use crystals retrieved from the caves on Ilum. As a result, the blades of their weapons were always either blue or green-the only colors those crystals could produce. Throughout the reign of the Emporer, the few Jedi who survived had to rely on handed-down lightsabers or crystals liberated from Imperial-held worlds.

By the time Luke Skywalker revived the Jedi Order at his Jedi academy on Yavin 4, the Empire was gone. Long-forgotten sources of crystals opened up again. Skywalker even revived the ancient Jedi tradition of imbuing commonly available crystals with Force energies an using them in lightsabers. His students, following this procedure, crafted their lightsabers in a wide variety of colors.

The lightsaber blades used by darksiders vary wildly in color, presumably because they have access to other sources of crystals than Jedi do. Sith lightsaber blades are almost always red, however. The Sith apparently had a large supply of the crystals that produced red blades, and their dark natures favored blades the color of blood."

Last edited by MA-3PO on Tue May 10, 2005 1:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. I agree with most of this.

Now, we've got an available color wheel, with everything from red to green and back the other direction around the wheel.

Perhaps it would be neat if someone assigned meaning to each of the colors...? For example, I noticed that Qui-gon Jinn, Yoda, and Luke all had green sabers. Perhaps green implies a more philosophical approach to the force, to feeling rather than logic?

This is what I mean...perhaps each color has a different significance.
Rahl Jynco
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the video game Knights of the old Republic, when you chose your path (Guardian, sentinal, something else) you would get a sertain color crystal. I think it was blue for guardian (Warrior), green for the name I can't remember, and yellow for sentinal. Coarse this game was based off the D20 version, and I haven't tried that (I HATE LEVEL BASED GAMES!) so who knows what they were doing.

I deal with temptation by giving in...
MA-3PO
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read several sources that say lightsaber color has nothing to do with personality or the type of Jedi. This was just something KOTOR threw in.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also sources I've ever read that were out prior to that game always said that it was the crystals within the lightsaber which determined the blade color. A Jedi could be of any type and have any color the crystals they used allowed. The game designers probably figured it would be best to tell the difference between types at a simple glance.

Wanted Poster
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 1 of 15

Jump to: