The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Lightsaber features
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Lightsaber features Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should WHITE be allowed as a lightsaber blade color?
Sure
84%
 84%  [ 76 ]
No, because they aren't in the movies/games
4%
 4%  [ 4 ]
No, because there are no crystals that allow them
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
No, because you can't have white without black
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
No, but I don't know why
3%
 3%  [ 3 ]
I don't know / I have no opinion
4%
 4%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 90

Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't think Psiber was saying that you can't have a blacksaber in your campaign, only that he wouldn't go for it in his campaign. Though I agree with his science appraisal of the situation, I don't really think it has much relevance in a Star Wars game. The lightsaber has a black blade, that's about all that needs to be explained. If you want to give it a bit of science explanation, you can say it works like a miniature blackhole, sucking all light into it, leaving only a shaft of pure darkness errupting from the grip (plus, it sounds quite poetic). Even if one would wield it in the darkneest night, it's shaft would still reveal a whole new level of blackness to the beholder. You could even have it that it doesn't deflect blaster bolts, it just absorbs them into its void.

Plus, that pic is indeed awesome. Very good character, and love the Blastboat in the back.

Last edited by Gry Sarth on Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sith'Ari Lizanthrin wrote:
The science geek in me says that lightsabers are complete fiction, baseless in real science as energy projection as we understand it cannot be bent back upon itself without a lens of some sort. If I can suspend that, and can accept the darn good reason she had in her backstory for it, then the saber in my world is black.

I don't know if you got to see the "Star Wars Tech" special that was aired during the whole 30 year celebration period...but they're saying we actually could create a lightsaber blade-out of plasma, which wouldn't bend back on itself like that. However, it would ALSO require a roomful of machinery that would fill an entire warehouse to create a blade the length of a standard lightsaber, so of course it's NOT gonna happen.

The science geek in me found that most interesting. 8)
Sith'Ari Lizanthrin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it recorded Skyler! ^_^ Love it. They did indeed mention that, but, they also mentioned that to make it cut like a saber it would have to be superheated plasma that would radiate I think they said something like 2k c heat or some other such, something about it being too hot to be in the room with let alone wield. On top of the power generation thing.

Gry, love that description and find it odd that you would think so like us. I did not explain it but the blade does indeed absorb blaster bolts, it also explains its other effect, lightsaber blade disruption from the point of contact to the tip when it contacts other sabers.(obviously unless its cut close to the base it won't disrupt the part still connected to the hilt and by reason the power source) Not sure I want to "steal" that idea, but damn if that isn't a good one, so I might. Her explanation deals more with the why the blade is black, the crystal's significance, and the story of how it was made. Adding that to it would not be a stretch just more like the science behind the scenes. Again "if" I go with that. And though it sounds powerful it works both ways, a shortened lightsaber re-emits its blade on the beginning of the next round, but, a shortened saber especially mid combat can be a nice thing to redirect for a stab. Magi lost a duel that way, though he escaped with his life. Stomach wounds are such lovely fun!

Like I told Psiber I may have misread his post, its easy to do online. Especially since many of us hail from different ethnic, national, and age backgrounds. The dynamic is impossible to measure in type face alone. I too, enjoyed learning something about the science of light projection, and appreciated his knowledge on the subject. I just tend to go it easy on my scientific mind when I am playing games, easier on my players' brains without me pseudo science-ing everything and trying to quantify it with Earth's and "our" reality's scientific laws.

Alexis
*smiles*
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I told Psiber I may have misread his post, its easy to do online. Especially since many of us hail from different ethnic, national, and age backgrounds. The dynamic is impossible to measure in type face alone. I too, enjoyed learning something about the science of light projection, and appreciated his knowledge on the subject. I just tend to go it easy on my scientific mind when I am playing games, easier on my players' brains without me pseudo science-ing everything and trying to quantify it with Earth's and "our" reality's scientific laws.

I've found that as a general rule on this forum, if there is a hostile way and a non-hostile way to interpret what someone says, go with the non-hostile. People (me, especially) can certainly express themselves forcefully on occasion, but as a general rule, hostility is not intended.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it recorded Skyler! ^_^ Love it. They did indeed mention that, but, they also mentioned that to make it cut like a saber it would have to be superheated plasma that would radiate I think they said something like 2k c heat or some other such, something about it being too hot to be in the room with let alone wield. On top of the power generation thing.

*bows courteously* Always a pleasure to meet another SW freak. Wink

The temperature issue is of course yet another reason why we DON'T have some SW geek multi-billionaire off somewhere with his own personal warehouse-sized lightsaber generation facility... Razz
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

masque wrote:
I've found that as a general rule on this forum, if there is a hostile way and a non-hostile way to interpret what someone says, go with the non-hostile. People (me, especially) can certainly express themselves forcefully on occasion, but as a general rule, hostility is not intended.

Very true. I think that's a great cardinal rule. People have opinions and they are here to express them. Unless they make it abundantly clear, don't take it as a stab at your opinion.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Black Lightsaber Blade Reply with quote

PsiberDragon wrote:
When it comes to pigments, i.e. colors on a page of paper or other tangible medium, I have no problems with black, considering that black, as a PIGMENT is the prescence of all colors.

It could have the same effect as a "Black Light" ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_light ), which is in the Soft Ultraviolet range.

I've worked with those a number of times.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
masque wrote:

Very true. I think that's a great cardinal rule. People have opinions and they are here to express them. Unless they make it abundantly clear, don't take it as a stab at your opinion.

Heh, yea sometimes it gets quite aggressive here Razz

But that is a cool picture, wish i had that kind of artistic talent Smile

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Sith'Ari Lizanthrin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Lightsaber Blade Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
It could have the same effect as a "Black Light" ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_light ), which is in the Soft Ultraviolet range.

I've worked with those a number of times.

Though I too have wondered about the how (since I got into the geek mode) of it, my mind is racing for "my" explanation. I do not feel as though Ultra Violet which is in effect a deep uv light but still a "color", in that it appears as a deep color, is sufficient for me. So far Gry's idea seems the most as he put it "poetic", but of course I have to wonder the how of a self contained mini black hole, quantum/gravitational/spacetime singularity can even exist. The blade has been described as "dark as the darkest night" a "black void deeper than the black of space, yet strangely luminescent" and "black as midnight black as pitch, black as a Dathomiri witch" (another player described it in a cantina as such, we all laughed riotously).

Still thinking, but I will come up with a sciencey answer that suits me. For now though I am off for a couple hours of breast torture and interrogation about my families history and my personal past. May the Force be with me. Talk to you all this afternoon if I am not too upset about the results.

Alexis
*smiles*
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no problem with that level of suspension of disbelief as lightsabers are not made via a purely scientific method. Only those who can wield the force can create them. With this in mind I don’t find it particularly hard to accept that the force can cause the ‘blade’ to react/display in a way contrary to understood properties of light.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
PsiberDragon
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psiberdragon wrote:
Maybe it's the science geek in me, but this is where I have a problem suspending disbelief.
I could care less what the science geek in you or anyone says.... Though the attempted lesson in science was very interesting.

Step back. I realize that this is ALL works of fiction, and to be involved in this, DOES suspend disbelief. That being said, as Gry pointed out... I'd never have one in MY game. By the same token, I realize that YOU are not in MY game, nor am I in YOURS. I would NEVER tell another GM "You CAN'T do that"... I offer my opinion ONLY, and the reasoning FOR ME to not have it in my game. And, as a side note, realizing that this is only a game... I don't let anything here EVER get me that worked up, unless it's a flame...

But I must say in the last two days have heard more "uh-uh you can't do that in your games" on these forums than I ever would have expected.
Sorry to hear that... Again, Gry, being the great guy he is points out that you probably shouldn't assume we're attacking YOUR game, as opposed to pointing out what WE wouldn't do in OUR respective games.

Gry Sarth wrote:
If you want to give it a bit of science explanation, you can say it works like a miniature blackhole, sucking all light into it, leaving only a shaft of pure darkness errupting from the grip (plus, it sounds quite poetic). Even if one would wield it in the darkneest night, it's shaft would still reveal a whole new level of blackness to the beholder. You could even have it that it doesn't deflect blaster bolts, it just absorbs them into its void.
Good idea... MY basic problem is two fold (and yes, it's partially psuedo-science): 1- were it some kinda mini black hole, wouldn't it start trying to absorb the handle? Wink ; 2- if it sucks the blaster bolts into it, you can't redirect them, right? and/or would it use the light bending properties of the mini black hole to direct it elsewhere? (i.e. what game mechanic would you use/wash over to get that?)
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PsiberDragon wrote:
Good idea... MY basic problem is two fold (and yes, it's partially psuedo-science): 1- were it some kinda mini black hole, wouldn't it start trying to absorb the handle? Wink ; 2- if it sucks the blaster bolts into it, you can't redirect them, right? and/or would it use the light bending properties of the mini black hole to direct it elsewhere? (i.e. what game mechanic would you use/wash over to get that?)

1- Well, of course it wouldn't absorb the handle! Because, uh... well... it's a finely-tuned blackholy-thingy that only absorbs light and energy, not matter (whatever that means).
2- You're right, you wouldn't be able to deflect blaster bolts back at the attackers, but on the other hand, with a nice swipe of the blade you could feasibly shield yourself from something like a thermal detonation.
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
well... it's a finely-tuned blackholy-thingy that only absorbs light and energy, not matter (whatever that means).

Matter is energy.
Very Happy
Try again.
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can avoid the whole "Black is the absence of color" issue by switching to Darksucker theory:
http://home.netcom.com/~rogermw/darksucker.html
PsiberDragon
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
PsiberDragon wrote:

1- Well, of course it wouldn't absorb the handle! Because, uh... well... it's a finely-tuned blackholy-thingy that only absorbs light and energy, not matter (whatever that means).
2- You're right, you wouldn't be able to deflect blaster bolts back at the attackers, but on the other hand, with a nice swipe of the blade you could feasibly shield yourself from something like a thermal detonation.

1 - So, basically you're saying (tongue planted firmly in cheek) is that energy doesn't matter? Wink Laughing

2 - umm... man... Maybe I gotta change my mind about that whole black blade thing... Question

Seriously... I can see a player SOOOO walking all over that...

DM: "The squad of 20 stormies fire at you en masse..."
P1: "I wave my blade in a circle in front of me and absorb them all..."
DM: ???? "Um.... grr.... "

By the same token... I would assume anyone w/ a blade like that to be a baddie...

Ohhh... what if it were a repository for a sith ghost? And/or something like Elric, and it uses some of the energy absorbed to heal the wielder ...?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 13 of 15

Jump to: