The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Most Beautiful Ship
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Most Beautiful Ship Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Venerath wrote:
Gonna be honest, every time I run into a YT-1300 in game I shudder. Not because its a bad ship, not because its ugly (I don't find either to be the case), but because with hundreds of different ships available it feels lazy. It feels like they can use the YT-1300 because it is "common" and no one will complain or think twice about it. The Ford F series may have more registered vehicles on the road than anyone else in the US, but they still represent less than 5% of the vehicles on the road (and that is a series, like the YT series, rather than a particular year/model). In our books the YT 1300 is probably closer to 30 to 40% of the total freighters we see, which is just plain silly.

At this point in playing Star Wars my characters will go for anything but a YT 1300 when picking up a ship. The surest way to keep me from trying to steal yours is to pick a YT 1300.

That's why often when i start a freighter jock, i try to go with a Ghtroc 720. Or maybe even z-10 seeker.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Venerath wrote:
Gonna be honest, every time I run into a YT-1300 in game I shudder. Not because its a bad ship, not because its ugly (I don't find either to be the case), but because with hundreds of different ships available it feels lazy. It feels like they can use the YT-1300 because it is "common" and no one will complain or think twice about it. The Ford F series may have more registered vehicles on the road than anyone else in the US, but they still represent less than 5% of the vehicles on the road (and that is a series, like the YT series, rather than a particular year/model). In our books the YT 1300 is probably closer to 30 to 40% of the total freighters we see, which is just plain silly.

At this point in playing Star Wars my characters will go for anything but a YT 1300 when picking up a ship. The surest way to keep me from trying to steal yours is to pick a YT 1300.
evilnerf wrote:
I add in different ships myself just to keep things interesting, but it doesn't break my immersion if there's a YT-1300 that looks just like the Millenium Falcon just because the Millenium Falcon is intentionally made to look like the numerous other YT-1300s out there.

That being said, just on a aestetic level. I find the YT-1300 ugly as crap.

I agree. On a purely aesthetic level, YT-1300s are ugly. Now the Falcon specifically has a nostalgic quality that takes it well beyond mere aesthetics. Seeing it in TFA trailers brings tears to my eyes because it is the light freighter from my childhood, not because it is a beautiful ship.

In 1988, we only had one type of light freighter to choose from for the game, the YT-1300 from the SW Sourcebook. When planning my very campaign at age 16, I didn't yet feel comfortable making my own ships so the PCs' ship was a 1300. I think we may have changed the cockpit configuration but I really don't remember because we never made an image of the ship. To tie it into the 1e rulebook, the ship was the Dorian Discus which had belonged to the NPC Roark Garnet. I'm sure some other 1300s made it into that campaign. The Discus was destroyed in the campaign's final adventure. When I got the SW Campaign Pack, the PC groups in most of my campaigns used the Longshot (Lantillian ShipWrights GX1 Short Hauler). It's not a beauty either (some players called it "the grasshopper"), but the ship had a big poster with a deskplan which just made it seem more real to the players.

Despite there being a lot of YT-1300s in the galaxy, I've always stayed away from using them in the game as much as possible. After that first campaign, I have never allowed any PC groups to have one. I don't ever make-up any 1300s for the PCs to encounter, and they only appear in my game when using a published adventure that uses them. And even then I always make the cockpit configuration to something different than the Falcon.

garhkal wrote:
That's why often when i start a freighter jock, i try to go with a Ghtroc 720.

The Ghtroc 720 is even uglier than the YT-1300. And it was probably overly used after 2e came out because everyone wanted something different than a YT-1300 and had another option. I think I've used them a couple times, but no long term campaign ever featured one for long.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:42 am; edited 2 times in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I've always preferred the centerline cockpit version of the YT-1300, but I've never found a version that looks how I want it.

And I think you're right about the Ghtroc, Whill. My thinking is that it was WEG's somewhat irritated response to people complaining about the lack of variety in the stock light freighter market in the SWU. Oh, you're tired of using the YT? Well, here is the Ghtroc 720. See? It could be worse.

Of course, that's just the stats. There is a more aesthetically pleasing aspect of the Ghtroc, in that it has similar lines to a sea turtle, which makes it better looking than the YT...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me some other freighters that look good..

Delaya Courier Ship
YG-4210 Transport
Corona Transport
DeepWater Light Freighter
Helix Light Freighter
YT-1760 Small Transport
YT-1930 Light Freighter
Crescent Transport
MC-18 Light Freighter
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

...To tie it into the 1e rulebook, the ship was the Dorian Discus ...

This is a strange coincidence. I had a player way, way back in my earliest games in the late 80's (when I used to run the game very freestyle) who named his ship the same thing. A group joke developed in one adventure when the players were needing to escape a besieged starport, with AT-AT's coming in. One of the AT-AT's was just in range as they were lifting off and managed to put a good set of shots into the ship, causing it to crash. Much to the chagrin of most of the players, the Gambler in the group (who had been laying odds on their escape) referred to this as Discus Shooting.
evilnerf
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
For me some other freighters that look good..

Delaya Courier Ship
YG-4210 Transport
Corona Transport
DeepWater Light Freighter
Helix Light Freighter
YT-1760 Small Transport
YT-1930 Light Freighter
Crescent Transport
MC-18 Light Freighter

I really dig the DeepWater.

Also, looking at those, I really like the YT-1760. It reminds me of some of the newer freighter's I've liked from the KOTOR era and the Dark Times comics.

Also, it reminds me of Serenity from Firefly. So that's always nice.

Lane Arroway
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of the original trilogy period of eu I always liked the the Loronar Strike Cruiser.
From the perspective of a player, it's a toss up between the HWK-290 or the Arakyd Helix.

Now, over all ships since I think I like the Consular-cruiser and its c70 refit. It just has some great lines to it. I'm also convinced that Aurra Sing uses a modified version of this class of ship, judging from the pictures.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd find it tough to call any of the designs beautiful. But, the Arakyd Helix would come closest, for me.
crazydanny1
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... So many favorites. It's hard to narrow it down.

If I go from my childhood and my experience as a young child watching Star Wars for the first time on the big screen, I'd have to go with the X-wing first, followed by the CR-90 Corellian Corvette. The X-wing will always be my "hands down" favorite starfighter.

After starting to play the RPG waaaay back, I have to say I fell in love with the YT-2400. Each campaign we've run, I always say that I'm going to try something new for a freighter, and I always go back to the good ole' 2400.

http://swbloodlines.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_Bloodlines_Wiki
nuclearwookiee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
I am probably one of the only people who will say this, but the Rebel Assault Frigate. I just have always liked the way it looks. Not sure why, no particular reason - it is just a lovely ship to me.

I agree. I think it's because it looks kinda like a space shark.

Also, always liked the YT-2000.
evilnerf
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have recently entered a torrid love affair with the Defender- class Corvette. It's a great mid point between a stock freighter and a Corellian corvette and has that classical KotOR look to it.

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are tons of awesome looking vessels in the Star Wars universe.

I like the Ghost from Rebels. I like the Outrider from Shadows of the Empire quite a bit. I like the Ebon Hawk from Knights of the Old Republic. There's many more.

But, do you ever get to a place where an ugly ship starts to grow on you?

When I first saw the Lantillian Short Hauler, I hated the design. But, the old girl has grown on me a lot.

http://www.nexusroute.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/ep414trivia03.jpg
evilnerf
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem I have with the Ghost is that the cockpit is just chopped straight off of a B-17 bomber and that is just too distracting for me to give it a proper evaluation. I don't know if that is just because I am so familiar with the Airplane or what.

I can see what you mean about the short haul freighter. I really like the more angular concept art on the left of the page you linked.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I didn't like is all those different configurations of the Falcon. We never see a ship that even remotely resembles the Falcon in the movies, but look through WEG's Ships book or many of the other designs on the net, and you'll see a ton of designs that are just the Falcon reconfigured. I mean, there are a couple of those designs that are pretty cool, but they're still resting on the cool factor that is brought by its base being the Falcon.

I like "different" looking ships. I love the N1 Naboo starfighter. It reminds me of a WWII F4U Corsair.

I love Boba Fett's Slave I. Cool ship.

I love the B-Wing (and the A-Wing, and the Y-Wing, and the X-Wing).

Heck, I love TIE fighters!
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me, my go-to light freighter is the YT-1930. In terms of stats alone, it breaks even or comes out ahead of the YT-1300. Heck, just the fact that it has a centered cockpit and double the cargo space of a YT-1300 clinches it for me. I love it so much that it was my smuggler character's ship of choice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: