The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Gage-class Troop Transport
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Gage-class Troop Transport Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Gage-class Troop Transport Reply with quote

Gage-class Transport

Craft: Gage-class Transport
Affiliation: Sith Empire
Era: Old Republic
Source: Star Wars: The Old Republic (MMORPG); Wookieepedia, stats by +Oliver Queen
Type: Transport
Scale: Capital
Length: 425 meters
Skill: Capital Ship Piloting: Gage-class Transport
Crew: 345; gunners: 65; skeleton: 110/+10
Crew Skill: Varies
Passengers: 2,000 troops
Cargo Capacity: 8500 metric tons
Consumables: 3 months
Hyperdrive Multiplier: x2
Hyperdrive Backup: x15
Nav Computer: Yes
Maneuverability: 1D+1
Space: 6
Hull: 4D
Shields: 2D+1
Sensors:
Passive: 30/0D
Scan: 60/1D
Search: 100/1D+2
Focus: 3/2D
Weapons:
4 Turbolaser Cannons
Fire Arc: Turret (front, left, right, rear)
Scale: Capital
Crew: 5
Skill: Capital Ship Gunnery
Fire Control: 1D
Space Range: 3-15/35/75
Atmosphere Range: 3-15/35/75 km
Damage: 5D
12 Laser Turrets
Fire Arc: Turret (5 right, 5 left, 2 aft)
Scale: Starship
Crew: 1
Skill: Starship Gunnery
Fire Control: 2D
Space Range: 1-3/10/20
Atmosphere Range: 100-300/1 km/2 km
Damage: 3D
4 Ion Cannon
Fire Arc: Turret (2 right, 2 left)
Scale: Starship
Crew: 1
Skill: Starship Gunnery
Fire Control: 2D
Space Range: 1-3/9/12
Atmosphere Range: 100-300/900/1.2 km
Damage: 4D (ionization)
Starfighter Complement: 6 Mark VI Supremacy-class Interceptors, 3 shuttles, various support vehicles
Other Systems: Hangar bay

Capsule: The Gage-class transport was a transport design used by the Sith Empire of the Great Galactic War. It resembled the larger Terminus-class destroyer, but wielded fewer turbolaser batteries. The transport instead had more space for cargo and room for barracks in which to carry troops. Its bridge deck was also noted for its wide and spacious design.

The transport sported the heavy armor of the Terminus-class to help protect its cargo. The armor was strong enough for the transport to viably engage in last-ditch ramming maneuvers.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter

Last edited by shootingwomprats on Fri May 23, 2014 6:57 pm; edited 4 times in total
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This ship looks cool. I've never seen it before. Where did you find it?
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dromdarr_Alark wrote:
This ship looks cool. I've never seen it before. Where did you find it?

I have not run into yet, but when I was doing some searching for information about SWTOR it came up so I stat'd it.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first Imperial Flashpoint in SWTOR takes place on the "Black Talon" which is a ship of this classification.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Black_Talon
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

500 seems awfully low for a troop transport of this size; it's longer than a Nimitz-Class aircraft carrier. Plus, 500 is an anomalous size for transporting a unit as a whole, as a company is around 150-200 troops and a battalion is around 900-1,000.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Luwingo_Spince
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also Probably a typo. There is no number listed under turbolaser cannons though the name seems to imply more than one.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
... a battalion is around 900-1,000.

Good point, since its Star Wars, we will go with the twice the higher number for a total of 2,000. Thank you for the insight.

Luwingo_Spince wrote:
also Probably a typo. There is no number listed under turbolaser cannons though the name seems to imply more than one.

I struggled with the amount of capital ship weaponry for this ship. Since its a troop transport, rarely operates by itself I was unsure how many to give it. I am thinking four is an okay amount. Thoughts?

As I do not picture this thing landing on a planetary surface it needs transports to ferry troops. Thinking of adding 30 Ministry-class orbital shuttles, they will ferry 36 troops each, requiring two waves to land all troops.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
Good point, since its Star Wars, we will go with the twice the higher number for a total of 2,000. Thank you for the insight.

That works. 2,000 allows the ship to carry a reinforced battalion, much like a modern Marine Corps MEU(SOC). The core battalion can be reinforced by armor, artillery, scout/recon, special forces and other support units.

Quote:
I struggled with the amount of capital ship weaponry for this ship. Since its a troop transport, rarely operates by itself I was unsure how many to give it. I am thinking four is an okay amount. Thoughts?

This may be personal preference, but when I design ship stats, I usually put ion cannon on dedicated space combatants, while putting concussion missile launchers on planetary assault ships, with the rationale being that ion cannon are most effective against other ships, while ordnance launch systems can fire varying warhead types as a bombardment platform in support of deployed troops.

Quote:
As I do not picture this thing landing on a planetary surface it needs transports to ferry troops. Thinking of adding 30 Ministry-class orbital shuttles, they will ferry 36 troops each, requiring two waves to land all troops.

Are the troops going to be purely light infantry, or will there be tanks and other heavy vehicles? If you intend to include armored units, you should probably also include some sort of landing barge to deploy them.

shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
This may be personal preference, but when I design ship stats, I usually put ion cannon on dedicated space combatants ...

Though this makes sense, but my thoughts are this during the Old Republic and are ships used by the Sith Empire. The Sith Empire it about overwhelming firepower. That was the rationale for fewer ion weapons.

Quote:
Are the troops going to be purely light infantry, or will there be tanks and other heavy vehicles? If you intend to include armored units, you should probably also include some sort of landing barge to deploy them.

From the flavor text I envisioned a straight on troop transport. So no vehicles, support, etc.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
That was the rationale for fewer ion weapons.

My thinking was actually no ion cannon at all, replacing them with concussion missile launchers.

Quote:
From the flavor text I envisioned a straight on troop transport. So no vehicles, support, etc.

Or at least no vehicles that can't be fit onto the existing shuttles. Even modern light infantry still have HMMWVs and trucks to haul supplies and tow support weaponry around. Which way you choose to go will dictate how the ship is used; light infantry without heavy vehicle support and transport will be tied to the ship and the shuttles for battlefield mobility, which will limit their tactical options. As such, this ship would end up being more of an initial assault platform; kicking in the door and securing a beachhead for heavier follow-on units. It would also be suited for raids and special operations support.

shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
shootingwomprats wrote:
That was the rationale for fewer ion weapons.

My thinking was actually no ion cannon at all, replacing them with concussion missile launchers.

Well I could see that, but (and I am NOT a slave to canon) the flavor text does list ion cannons and no missiles. I try to stick to the flavor as much as it makes sense without adding too much. Add too much it changes the flavor of the ship and original design. Do that you are making your own ship or version of someone else's design.
@swd6podcast, Twitter

Last edited by shootingwomprats on Fri May 23, 2014 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point. I tend to steer clear of most game based stats for that reason, as the game designers often make questionable choices with respect to meshing with the rest of the EU.

Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
The first Imperial Flashpoint in SWTOR takes place on the "Black Talon" which is a ship of this classification.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Black_Talon

It's so similar to the C-Class transport. Think it's another one of those concept art-turned-real ships?
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dromdarr_Alark wrote:
It's so similar to the C-Class transport. Think it's another one of those concept art-turned-real ships?

The C-class is also better known as the Terminus-class destroyer. They look similar because, "The Terminus-class was similar in appearance to the smaller Gage-class transport, but wielded far more firepower."
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dromdarr_Alark wrote:

I doubt it. More likely they used the same art for 2 different ships and the "Transport" version was born out of story necessity for why the Black Talon was overwhelmingly out-gunned by the Republic Ship the flashpoint sends the characters to confront. By making it out-gunned, it allowed for a group of 2-4 players the epic task of taking down an enemy capital ship.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: