The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Difficulty of Parrying a Blaster Bolt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Difficulty of Parrying a Blaster Bolt Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:
Sure, source is:

Star Wars Saga Edition page.100

Quote:
You harmlessly absorb or deflect one Force Power used against you, perhaps even turning it against its creator.

Time: Reaction

Make a Use the Force check. If your result equals or exceeds the check result of the Force Power directed at you, you harmlessly redirect it and suffer no ill effects. If your result exceeds the check result of the Force Power directed at you by 5 or more, you may choose to turn the Force Power against its creator, who suffers the effect based on the creator’s original Use the Force check.

Special: If you successfully reflect a Force Power back at it's originator, the originator may attempt to Rebuke the Force Power as well, expending a use of the Rebuke Force Power and using your Use the Force check as it's target DC. If they reflect it back again, both you and the originator are affected by the Force Power. You can spend a Force Point as a Reaction to suffer no effects from a Force Power that has been Rebuked twice- once by you and once by the Force Power's originator.

IMHO, d20 went to far by unnecessary multiplying similar force powers. We have additionally:

1) Energy Resistance
2) Negate Energy

No wonder I didn't know it: Saga Edition... I just could never get into it. I prefer the RCR as far as d20 goes.

Incidentally, there are rules therein which handle Obi-Wan and Anakin's mutual telekinetic blast... but tuey are cumbersom, as they were added after the fact to "update" the preexisting rules to account for the new effects depicted.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giving this a bump w/r/t what garhkal posted here

I've already noted in this topic how I apply Scale modifiers to the Jedi's Difficulty to block the shot with a Lightsaber, but one thing I'm not sure I've ever addressed was whether or not the shot got close enough to the Jedi to be parried with a saber in the first place. After all, a one-meter energy blade can only reach so far, and no parry should be possible if the blast is too far away for the Jedi.

Now, under the RAW, this really isn't an issue, as a beam that doesn't hit has no effect. However, if one is using some sort of splash damage rule, it becomes increasingly likely that an energy beam can strike an object too far away for the Jedi to parry, but close enough to inflict splash damage by catching the Jedi in the blast radius.

My initial thought is to base it on Difficulty; if the shot misses the Jedi by 10 or more, it's too far away for the Jedi to parry.

Thoughts?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally, this issue also exists in d20.

When you introduce a "margin of error" factor to determine whether or not something can be parried, you run into this problem:

Mathematically, EVERY shot ever fired at Yoda, Luke, Vader, etc, will always miss by "too much" to be parried. Essentially, the better the Jedi gets, the less often shots will come close enough to be parried.

In d20 it was the opposite problem. Their rule was shots that only shots that miss by 5 or less can be aimed back at a target. This created the issue that, the better the Jedi gets at blocking the shot, the less chance he'll have of redirecting it.

I'd recommend basing it on the weapon's inherent difficulty. If the attack roll fails because the roll was too low to use the weapon properly, then the shot is "too far away" to be parried.

If scale modifiers apply (this, to me, means that not only the relative size is scaled, but also the distance between shooter and target are scaled), then the scale dice can count against the attack roll (bigger shooting smaller), but not for it. This would represent that, up close, small distances between the point of impact and the target are magnified as the shot travels along it's vector so that at hundreds of meters away, a shot is dozens of meters off target (for a miss).

So, if a shot misses it's inherent difficulty by a very small margin, then the Jedi may take splash damage (which should be, IMO scaled down to character scale, and present a small risk of actual injury, since we are talking about a missed attack, here. For reference, the "kill radius" on a frag grenade is 3-5 meters. I'd think think that splash damage should probably have a danger radius of about 1 to 2 meters and should probably top out around 4D, depending on what is "splashing").
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already addressed this problem earlier in this topic. Basically, a Jedi who chooses to block attacks with his saber is considered a stationary target for the purposes of the attacker's Blaster Difficulty. An attacker just has to roll higher than the Base Difficulty for the weapon at that range (modified by Scale).

So, w/r/t the more recent post, an attack that misses the Jedi by more than X amount is also too far away for him to block with his lightsaber. In the case of, say, a cap-ship turbolaser, this can be particularly problematic, as a Scale Difference of +12D is almost guaranteed to miss the Jedi by more than +10, but if it hits the ground anywhere nearby, the Jedi may very likely still take splash damage that his lightsaber can't defend against.

Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have an "epic" fail then what.

If we look to the reveng of the sith we see several jedi defending (eventually failing) to defend agains the clone troopers. Multiple attackers and most likely each using some form of autofire, would be be unresonable to say that an big enough fail also will incure multiple hits when we deal with autofire?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
If you have an "epic" fail then what.

If who has an epic fail? Please be more specific, as there's like six different ways a roll could end in epic failure in this process.

Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fail by 20 or more i consider an epic fail.

rolling a 10 on a heroic check for example
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
fail by 20 or more i consider an epic fail.

rolling a 10 on a heroic check for example

Okay.So.An.Epic.Fail.Of.WHAT?

Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

of his lightsaber combat check

so if he fails he can not use his lightsaber combart at all to block/parry
and his skill in lightsaber (dex based) will have the difficulty, if he fails this too
he then takes damage from BOTH scources.

after all a jedi that has has to have fairly high Sense and Control to even attempt it, someone with 3D in both IMO would not be able to maybe against some stray unaimed shot.

and with the jedi being puny by nature (3D skill at a cost of 3D attribute)
makes it IMO impossible to even try defens against a blaster bolt unlesss you have 4-5D in each sense and control, though that renders the jedi incapable of anything else than be "good at deflection"
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
of his lightsaber combat check

He gets shot. Under this house rule (see the link above), a Jedi parrying with his lightsaber is treated as a stationary target. If he fails his lightsaber skill rolls and the shooter succeeds in their Gunnery roll against a stationary target for that range, then the Jedi takes damage as normal.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19
Page 19 of 19

Jump to: