The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Difficulty of Parrying a Blaster Bolt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Difficulty of Parrying a Blaster Bolt Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:
I always wanted to know:

Luke vs Speeder Bike

Please, watch it in 0,25 speed. Did Luke actually split all the bolts shot at him??

That's cool. I never thought to watch that scene in slo-mo before.

To me it looks like we see the speeder bike fire a double shot...another double shot and then a single.

Then the camera cuts to Luke. We see him deflect the double shot with one movement...deflect the second double shot with another movement...and then the single shot with the last movement.

By then the speeder has closed the distance and he makes his lightsaber attack.

To me, it seems there are no other shots unaccounted for or dealt with off-screen. It's kind of an unorthodox way to film it, but I think that's the intent.
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

Well, it's complicated. I never agreed with the RAW's version of blaster vs. lightsaber, and my reasons why are detailed early on in this thread.

I also felt that these rules need modification. In the movies the tactics against Jedi was always the same: as many shots as possible and flanking.

Quote:
    1). When a character wants to fire a blaster at a Jedi, he declares a barrage attack.

2). For barrage attacks, the character makes a single Blaster skill roll with the intention of getting off as many relatively accurate shots as possible, with the goal toward overloading the Jedi's defenses with more shots than he can parry.

3). The shooter rolls his Blaster skill against the base Difficulty, and for every 3 points by which the shooter beats the Difficulty, one additional round of ammunition is expended.

I guess it is based on the basic range? Lets assume 10, for an example. Roll for attack is 19, so 4 shots are made (one for basic difficulty and 3 for beating difficulty of 10)

Quote:
    4). The Jedi rolls his Lightsaber skill as normal, but if he fails the roll, for every 3 points by which he fails, he takes an additional hit for damage. However, they can attempt to redirect one Bolt for every 3 points by which they succeed on the roll.

So Jedi rolls LS against 19. If dice roll is 19 all is deflected in random directions. If roll is 22 - all is deflected + one shot can be redirected ect.
    If roll is 16 - 3 shots are deflected but the fourth one hits.

Quote:
    Characters can still coordinate their fire for added effect (this includes stormtroopers), adding 1D to the Blaster roll of the primary shooter every time the number of shooters doubles, and weapons with Auto-Fire dice can add the dice to accuracy to enhance the shot, as well.

OK. And to above all, we can difficulty for each addictional arc (like Shields rules) slightly modified, for example:

• One fire arc: 0 / None
    • Two fire arcs: 6-10 / Easy
    • Three fire arcs: 11-15 / Moderate
    • Four fire arcs: 16-20 / Difficult

This difficulty would be added to the attacker’s final roll (or attackers’ rolls) – it would not allow for any additional shots, as it only makes the initial shots more difficult to deflect.
    How to combine there rules with ROE additional damage?

With above rules the "normal" attack, with a single shot should be against flat difficulty, then?
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only scene in which we can see single shot vs Jedi is the one on the sail barge
Luke was caught off guard as this was rear arc attack and he failed to see the enemy.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh... I've resolved that the films make it pretty clear that a Jedi with a lightsaber is impossible to defeat with a blaster unless the plot calls for it.

Only Jango has the distinction of shoting a Jedi to death all by himself.

His shots at Obi-Wan had no chance of getting through, and of course Mace Windu was out of his league all together.

Even the destroyer droids didn't get through against padawan Obi-Wan (one for one, perhaps if they had doubl-teamed him, they would have).
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I've been meaning to reply to this but I got sidetracked.
Darklighter79 wrote:
I guess it is based on the basic range? Lets assume 10, for an example. Roll for attack is 19, so 4 shots are made (one for basic difficulty and 3 for beating difficulty of 10).

Yes. The base difficulty to hit is the standard Difficulty for a Blaster at the appropriate range.

Quote:
So Jedi rolls LS against 19. If dice roll is 19 all is deflected in random directions. If roll is 22 - all is deflected + one shot can be redirected ect.
If roll is 16 - 3 shots are deflected but the fourth one hits.

Again, correct. The success/fail split determines how badly overmatched the Jedi's defenses are. The better the Jedi does, the more attention he can divert to deflecting blaster bolts back at the shooter.

Quote:
OK. And to above all, we can difficulty for each additional arc (like Shields rules) slightly modified, for example:

• One fire arc: 0 / None
• Two fire arcs: 6-10 / Easy
• Three fire arcs: 11-15 / Moderate
• Four fire arcs: 16-20 / Difficult

This difficulty would be added to the attacker’s final roll (or attackers’ rolls) – it would not allow for any additional shots, as it only makes the initial shots more difficult to deflect.
How to combine there rules with ROE additional damage?

With above rules the "normal" attack, with a single shot should be against flat difficulty, then?

A simpler option would be to treat attacks from multiple arcs as MAPs, with -1D for each additional arc. A Jedi being attacked from all sides at once would suffer a -3D penalty.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A Jedi being attacked from all sides at once would suffer a -3D penalty.

Ah yes. Smaller the dice bucket, the better. 8)

OK, so simple non barrage attacks like:

1) Training deflect
2) "Chill out" deflect
3) "Too late for you" deflect

should be like easy/moderate for Jedi? After all it's all about seeing the immediate future, a simple thing like one bolt.Wookiepedia describes LS as a Farseeing variant.

What penalties do you use for LS and Sense based power to reflect the AotC situation: "I think it is time we inform the Senate that our ability to use the Force has diminished"? Does it always occur when a Dark Sider gains power? I've always felt that this was due to the corruption of a Senate and the injustice that spread across the Republic.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For simple attacks, Moderate seems good enough. As to the other, that's not really something I've concerned myself with. The closest I've come is in trying to come up with alternate rules for Danger Sense that allow sufficiently chaotic threat environments to increase the Difficulty, thereby potentially confusing the Jedi as to the source of the threats.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are not jedi already considered by many, to be overpowered.. Now you are making it easier for them to defend against blasters//?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Are not jedi already considered by many, to be overpowered.. Now you are making it easier for them to defend against blasters//?

And just like clockwork...

Go back and read through this thread. I'm not explaining it yet again.

Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Nope. Just fixing D6 original RAW bug: more shots = easier for Jedi to defend due to MAP / less shots = harder to deflect.

It should be like in the movies: More shots+flanking = more trouble for Jedi

And for the overpowering issue. I think this rule favors the shooters. In RAW they could make one successful attack against Jedi, In other situation MAP decreased all attacks' rolls making them harmless.

Here attacker rolls full attack, despite multiple shots, checks against Jedi's defenses and see how many shots went through. Better chance for damage.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. The films show the only way to overwhelm a Jedi's lightsaber defense is to overload it with as many shots from as many angles as possible. The RAW fails to accurately represent that.

Theoretically, it would be possible to overload a Jedi's defenses under the RAW, but that would require rolling each and every shot vs. parry, accounting for MAPs. This rule boils it all down to a single roll, plus tracking the ammo.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Meh... I've resolved that the films make it pretty clear that a Jedi with a lightsaber is impossible to defeat with a blaster unless the plot calls for it.

But we as gamers can't depend on the plot to tell us how the story goes; we're essentially writing the plot as we go along. So there has to be some sort of structure as to how Jedi can be taken out, and the films make it pretty clear that, if you're using blasters, the only way to do it is to shoot a whole bunch from as many different angles as possible. In game terms, this translates into stacking the Combined Fire and MAP decks against the Jedi until shots start getting through. That's what I'm trying to represent.

Quote:
Only Jango has the distinction of shooting a Jedi to death all by himself.

His shots at Obi-Wan had no chance of getting through, and of course Mace Windu was out of his league all together.

Jango does, however, point the way to the best method of at least fighting a Jedi to a draw. 1) Keep out of Melee Range, taking advantage of mobility enhancing devices like jet packs, and 2) Keep up a barrage of fire, using as many different weapons as possible (blasters, flamethrowers, rockets, grenades, grapple lines), not necessarily depending on any one weapon to take him out, but enough to keep him distracted while dealing with them that he can't close the range with you. Jango got it the worst in his fight with Obi-wan when things got close enough to go hand-to-hand, and it's almost certain he only stuck around to face Mace Windu because his jet pack malfunctioned.

Quote:
Even the destroyer droids didn't get through against padawan Obi-Wan (one for one, perhaps if they had double-teamed him, they would have).

In TPM, the Destroyer droids may not have been able to kill two Jedi, but they were able to keep up enough volume of fire that they forced two Jedi to concentrate fully on their own defense, and not dividing their attention between defense and cutting through the bridge's blast doors. They weren't killed, but they were blocked from completing their mission, which is a good second place.

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the problem with RAW you are addressing, that a single shooter making multiple attacks against a Jedi is MAPed while a Jedi makes one Lightsaber blaster bolt Parry roll that applies to all range attacks regardless of how many, meaning that fewer shots are harder to defend and more shots are easier to defend.

The solution you've developed here works for blaster vs. lightsaber, but I still see a issue with it. The Jedi still has the option to forget about parrying and just dodge, whereas in RAW it goes back to the same general rule of all reaction skill use, where one roll applies to all applicable attacks the rest of the round. It seems to me that rule is really at the heart of the matter. So the main problem that this thread addresses, more shots by a single attacker are easier to defend than less shots, actually applies to all reaction skill use including non-Jedi defenders, not just blasters vs. Jedi with lightsabers.

In 1e, each reaction was per action segment, MAPing at they went, but all dodges added to the base difficulty. In 2e they changed it a single reaction roll for the rest of the round for simplicity's sake, to not nickel and dime defenders so much. The trade-off is the reaction roll in 2e replaces the difficulty (for normal dodges). It seems to me their logic in the change is that it removes the "buffer" of the base difficulty, so a really crappy reaction roll replacing the attacker's difficulty can make it is easier for the attacker to hit than if the defender hadn't dodged at all. Even with the attacker being MAPed by multiple attacks, one crappy reaction roll can make all attacks have an easier change to hit. This applies to a Jedi parrying blaster bolts with a lightsaber, a crappy roll can make it easier for all shots to hit them the rest of the round.

I feel your fire arc rule should be across the board for all reaction skill use. Even brawlers and pilots flying ships should have a harder time defending against attackers from multiple directions. But this still only addresses multiple attackers on a single target, not a single attacker MAPed for making multiple attacks.

As far as interpreting the films, I already think of each blaster "attack" as possibly including the "effect" of multiple shots, but to-hit and damage are rolled normally. Game mechanically each attack is still each attack, but a single "attack" may be described as having two or three bolts. More cinematic. Blaster wound results could be an interpretation of how many "hyphens" hit you. A wound could be from one hyphen hitting you, incapacitated could be two, and mortally wounded or killed could be three. Without this reinterpretation of the effects of RAW, low skilled combatants shooting at each other once per round to avoid MAPs can seem pretty boring, and that does not really reflect what mooks seem to do in the films.

A "barrage" against a defender could be one really high-rolled attack, possibly with CPs or an FP. As an option you could still use the rule for increasing damage based on how successful the attack is which could be interpreted as multiple shots hitting the target. But game mechanically, if the attacker wants more chances to hit, he will make multiple attacks and accept the MAPs with the hope of rolling at least one lucky shot or multiple rolls hitting and more damage. I think having more chances to hit with a lesser chance for each is a good trade-off, but both can be interpreted as multiple shots.

If you really want to defeat the general rule of one single reaction roll applying to all applicable attack types the rest of the round, you can have each the reaction roll apply only to that action segment, which MAPs the defender further as they go from multiple attacks. And you could require a separate roll for each fire arc attacks come from, further MAPing the defender. But I probably won't use these two harsh options.

Multiple attackers can use coordination/combined fire to overcome a Jedi's reaction roll, with multiple fire arcs making it even if worse for the Jedi. Even without multiple attackers or multiple attack rolls, really good attack rolls can pin a Jedi down because if they try to do other things, they MAP their reaction rolls. You can easily just interpret a really good attack roll as multiple blasts the Jedi is cinematically swinging his lightsaber around to defend against but only rolling one reaction roll. Having every individual blast represented by its own roll is a nickel and dime approach that RAW and these suggested house rules so far use, when to me that seems to be an unnecessary constraint on imagination.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
The Jedi still has the option to forget about parrying and just dodge, whereas in RAW it goes back to the same general rule of all reaction skill use, where one roll applies to all applicable attacks the rest of the round.

Well, considering the cinematic fights, parry and dodge occur interchangeably. That is why I use the rule of brawling parry for melee fights and LS power use as mentioned in some other topis.
Quote:
Style of brawling being parried when unarmed and avoiding a brawling or melee attack

Examples:
Luke ducks
Luke ducks 2
Luke ducks 3
Roll out and ducks x2
Matrix Jedi dodge

Rather unlikely that these characters used dodge/brawling parry skills as without Force boost like in LS power, they would likely to fail.

Quote:
I feel your fire arc rule should be across the board for all reaction skill use.

It should.

Quote:
As far as interpreting the films, I already think of each blaster "attack" as possibly including the "effect" of multiple shots, but to-hit and damage are rolled normally. Game mechanically each attack is still each attack, but a single "attack" may be described as having two or three bolts. More cinematic.

More cinematic yes. But strong objection from the players is expected, especially if they are stranded on some alien world with limited resources. Not likely they would agree to drain the power packs for some "phantom shots" hunting Jedi/Sith. Wink

Quote:
A "barrage" against a defender could be one really high-rolled attack, possibly with CPs or an FP. As an option you could still use the rule for increasing damage based on how successful the attack is which could be interpreted as multiple shots hitting the target.

But you cannot use this explanation for the sharpshooters who go by the rule "one hit-one dead". Skill boost comes from scopes, computer targeting ect. Usually they use 1 fire rate weapon with high end damage.

Last edited by Darklighter79 on Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:

Nope. Just fixing D6 original RAW bug: more shots = easier for Jedi to defend due to MAP / less shots = harder to deflect.

It should be like in the movies: More shots+flanking = more trouble for Jedi

What about combined fire? Isn't that how the rules express overwhelming numbers?

As for a single person shooting "well enough" to barrage through a Jedi's defenses, I think we are over-interpreting the rules with the idea that a single action/attack roll represents in all cases a single shot.

The idea of Jango defeating a Jedi could easily be expressed as a single action that involves lots of little rapidly fired shots, and the Jedi failed his reaction roll because either Jango spent some character points or because he is just that good, and the particular Jedi he shot at is just that weak.

Darklighter79 wrote:

But you cannot use this explanation for the sharpshooters who go by the rule "one hit-one dead". Skill boost comes from scopes, computer targeting ect. Usually they use 1 fire rate weapon with high end damage.

Furthermore, with respect to the one shot = one round of ammo being a problem, you could easily argue that if an single attack roll may represent multiple shots, then a missed attack roll may represent a failure to take the shot (due to the difficulty of placing the sights or whatever reason the character judged that the shot would not work) thereby balancing the effects: Sometimes, you'll fire several shots at the expense of 1 round, and other times, you'll fire no shots at the expense of 1 round.

Last edited by Naaman on Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 3 of 19

Jump to: