The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Cost of turrets
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Cost of turrets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 4:26 pm    Post subject: Cost of turrets Reply with quote

Even going through GG6 Tramp freighters, i see nothing saying what the cost to make a fixed weapon (or quad/dual mount) into a turret is? Anyone know?
Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off the top of my head id say take the difference between a fixed weapon and a turret version and double it to get the cost of upgrade - you're looking at parts plus labor.

As far as official rules for that upgrade, I don't know if I've ever seen that.
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have my books with me now but there might be something in the 1e rule book under improving your ship it the space travel chapter. I will update the thread when I get back home.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Cost of turrets Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Even going through GG6 Tramp freighters, i see nothing saying what the cost to make a fixed weapon (or quad/dual mount) into a turret is? Anyone know?

It might not be there intentionally by design. A gun turret with a gunnery station, at least the very mobile ones on the Falcon, take up a lot of space in the ship. I'm thinking it may take engineering to actually repurpose a fixed weapon into a turret gun.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Page 65 1e rule book - improving ships, paragraph 5,

An owner can add additional weapons to his ship. A weapon with 1D fire control and 1D damage cost 6 skill points (2e character points). Increasing its codes from those values cost additional points.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

griff wrote:
Page 65 1e rule book - improving ships, paragraph 5,

An owner can add additional weapons to his ship. A weapon with 1D fire control and 1D damage cost 6 skill points (2e character points). Increasing its codes from those values cost additional points.

That's the 1e core rule for adding additional weapons. That also doesn't say anything about changing a fixed weapon into a turret gun.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would treat turning a fixed arc weapon to a turret weapon with the base cost of a new weapon, but keeping the current fire control and damage die codes. The section also give guide lines for cost and time for up grades.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fast rule would be to set the cost of the turret by the design of the turret itself, then set the price as a percentage of the weapon being mounted in it, with the percentage increasing with the complexity of the turret.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By complexity do you mean fire arc and targeting systems , or just fire arc?
jawa1138
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe I would charge labor and materials for the new gun placement and then offer a discount of 50% of the base cost of the original weapon.

To install a turret gun placement is going to require a lot of work, the actual weapon itself is only one small part and even then will likely need to be modified to be used in a turret instead of a fixed mounting. I also highly doubt that a turret placement is going to be in the same spot as the fixed weapon was so it will need all new wiring, mountings, fire control devices, etc.

I don't know the cost without books here but if a new turret weapon cost 5k and the labor would be another 10k and the initial weapon they already owned cost 1k just for the weapon then I would charge them 14.5k.

I would recommend they just get a new weapon and keep the old one right where it is.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cynanbloodbane wrote:
By complexity do you mean fire arc and targeting systems , or just fire arc?

The two go hand in hand. Strictly speaking from their design,, the gun turrets on the Falcon should only be able to fire in a 90 degree cone straight up or down. To get the kind of coverage seen in the game and the EU, those turrets would need to be either dome or ball-type, ala the turrets on a B-17 bomber. Then you have to consider whether the gunner is actually stationed in the turret or remotely controlling it from somewhere else.

Here's the basics of what I'm thinking:
    Port Mount - Cannon is mounted on some form of swiveling port in the ship's hull. Limited to a single fire arc. Equipment and installation cost equal to 100% of cost of weapon mounted in the turret.

Turret Mount - Cannon is mounted in some form of external turret that allows it to cover more fire arcs. Greater expense due to complexity and added armor (as mounting the turret outside the hull makes it more exposed to enemy fire). Equipment and install cost equal to 200% of installed weapon.

Bonus - The steerable design of a turret fired weapon provides an automatic +2D bonus to Fire Control. Additional Fire Arcs do not increase this bonus; they merely provide a wider field of fire.

Remote Control - Adds greater complexity, but protects the gunner from taking damage if the cannon is damaged or destroyed. Cost is 100% of installed weapon, and includes remote control panel, as well as the turret-mounted fire control sensors and interface linkage.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, with regards to fire-linking, the RAW contends that you can't fire link more than three weapons together, even though the quad-turrets on the Falcon disprove that. My solution is that, while no more than three weapons may be directly fire-linked together, it is possible to daisy chain fire-links. By which I mean, while you can't fire-link four laser cannon together, you can fire-link two laser cannon together, and then fire-link that pair with the fire-link of a second pair of cannon. The cost to do this is double the cost of normal fire-linking, in addition to the cost of the original fire-linking.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally, I came across something in the RAW that supports my previous statement of a turret mounted weapon receiving a +2D Fire Control bonus over a fixed-forward one. On the stats of the Y-Wing and Y-Wing Longprobe, the dual ion cannon are essentially the same weapon system, save that the ones on the Longprobe are fixed in a single arc, while the ion cannon on the standard Y-Wing are turreted and controlled by a gunner. The difference in Fire Control value between the ion cannon on the two different craft is 2D (1D FC on the Longprobe vs. 3D on the fighter/bomber).

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giving this a bump (thanks to Frank Bonita on the SWD6 Facebook for this find)
    ”A weapon may be purchased rather than added through skill points; in addition to the purchase price of the weapon, it costs 150 credits to install a weapon in armor (or other character scale piece of equipment), 1500 to put one into a speeder scale piece of machinery, 6,000 to install a new weapon system in a starfighter scale ship, 10,000,000 credits for a capital ship.”

-Star Wars Rules Companion, pg. 30

ADMIN EDIT: See Adding weapons to vehicles in Second Edition

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: