The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Attacking Through Weapons
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Attacking Through Weapons Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ragnar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how would that help u?????????
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

combat sense doesn't let you take actions during another character's turn

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Combat Sense
*i'm skipping difficulties and required powers*
Effect: Combat sense helps a jedi focus on the battle at hand. Everything else becomes dulled and muted as the Jedi's senses are all turned to the combat happening around him. All targets become mentally highlighted in the Jedi's mind, aiding him in attack and defense. In game terms by focusing his attention on his opponents, a Jedi gains certain important advantages.
First, he gets to decide when he wants to act during a round - no initiative rolls are needed while the power is in effect. If more than one jedi is using this power, whichever Jedi rolled higherst when invoking the power gets determine when they are acting in the round.
Second, his attack and defense rolls are increased by +2D. Combat sense lasts for ten combat rounds and doesn't count as a "skill use" for determining die code penalties.

I don't think it means you can act right after someone has fired their weapon to do a non-reaction skill...

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't really site an example of a lightsaber not being solid from the film as every time a lightsaber was swung (that I remember) into something that wasn't a lightsaber it cut through the target.

The only example that comes close is from Episode One when the lightsaber is being used to cut open a blast door. It looked like it took no effort to push the lightsaber into the door. An explanation for this could be the blade is not solid this could be why as Loc Tal quoted the blade has no weight or resistance
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
I can't really site an example of a lightsaber not being solid from the film as every time a lightsaber was swung (that I remember) into something that wasn't a lightsaber it cut through the target.

So if you use a lightsaber to deflect a projectile such as a bullet, it is liable to be split in two and hence deflected.

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself."
Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ragnar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not necessarily, the bullet "might" melt or it "might" go through the blade.
i can't say exactly, but consider that a bullet would be an already hot piece of metal traveling very fast through consentrated light. My money is on the bullet getting through the blade.
Ragnar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:

HELLO?? A LIGHTSABER IS CONSENTRATED, MAGNIFIED "LIGHT." LIGHT IS NOT A SOLID. Exclamation Exclamation [/quote]
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could a Jedi not cut an object in half as a reaction skill, say, when Darth tosses you a bulk head? If the answer is yes, then you could parry a bullet as well. you would use the "blade" of the lightsaber to block the bullet while the Jedi maneuvers himself with the follow though, ready for the next shot. If you are so worried, improve your dodge. Jedi sometimes are caught without their lightsabers, after all.

"I don't buy that cluck like a dog, bark like a chicken stuff." -Col. Jack O'Neill
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutting something in half does not necessary mean that one or both of the two halves will not hit you. The object(s) still have momentum.

So is the general consensus that a lightsaber's blade is not solid but reacts as though it was solid when parrying blaster shots and other lightsabers?
Ragnar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that sounds about right to me. Razz
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volar the Healer wrote:
Am I the only one who uses Combat Sense?

I meant to type Danger Sense.
Am I the only one who uses Danger Sense?

Lightsaber combat allows you to add your sense to your lightsaber skill; which I see as anticipating where your opponent's attack will land. Danger Sense allows the same thing without the lightsaber. Combined with Danger Sense, it should be a simple matter to stop/catch a bullet with telekenesis as bullets travel slower and have less energy than blasters.

This does not answer the question of whether a lightsaber can physically deflect a bullet, but I maintain if a lightsaber can interact with bulkhead doors and Genosian bodies, it can interact with bullets.

I was doing too many things at once - sorry for the confusion.
Ragnar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not necessarilly, Danger Sense allows you to know when danger is iminent so you can prevent it or avoid it. It doesn't mean that you could react to being shot at by using telekinesis. It means that instead of being caught in a surprise round you are not suprised and can react by dodging.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ragnar wrote:
It means that instead of being caught in a surprise round you are not suprised and can react by dodging.

It doesn't say dodging (only).
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orgaloth wrote:

So if you use a lightsaber to deflect a projectile such as a bullet, it is liable to be split in two and hence deflected.

I doubt it. Blasters fire a burst of energy. (Some say light, some say particles, some say plasma) Whatever it is, Jedi have been seen to deflect it again and again - it does not split apart when deflected. I doubt bullets would.

Some say lightsabers are concentrated light. Young Anakin (who didn't know anything) called it a "laser sword". But lightsabers do not act like lasers. They act more like a plasma contained within a magnetic field. Personally I think it is "unknown technology" and should be judged by what we've seen it do in the movies - not by any supposed scientific principle we might hold.

To quote another famous sci-fi movie:
"Soldier: We believe the aliens are using some form of advanced atomic power without the heavy shielding we use. Is that possible?"
"Scientist: If they do it, it is."
Ragnar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It doesn't say dodging (only).

yeah, but dodging is a reaction skill, telekinesis is not.
even if you had danger sense active and you foresaw someone shooting at you it would happen on their round and you can't use a skill that is not a reaction skill on someone elses turn. Now a slight "maybe" would be if you were continually using telekinesis before the shooters turn, but it would be VERY DIFFICULT and when you foresee with dangersense it usually happens a split second after you sense it like "spider sense."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: