The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Medium repeaters and heavy E-web repeaters.. How long??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Medium repeaters and heavy E-web repeaters.. How long?? Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:07 pm    Post subject: Medium repeaters and heavy E-web repeaters.. How long?? Reply with quote

For those of you who have had Imperial forces use either of these 2 weapon systems, how long have you made it take for the stormies to set it up (assuming they were not already in place)?

How often HAVE you had them show up in a game, and did they actually shoot anyone?
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had some guard towers with E-Webs set up once. Though the enemies were largely aiming for the speeders the escaping on. It just made more tactical sense. Once you incapacitate the vehicle, then the characters on it will stay in range longer, and give a better chance of a clean kill.

I think that we had an issue with a subsequent speeder crash, some character injuries, and other (healthier) players dragging the wounded under some sort of cover.

Players went about the rest of the time very smart and nobody died. Some of them needed medical attention, but they lived.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what its worth, a heavy machine gun in real life can be dismounted from a vehicle, and set up ready to fire in Two minutes. Though I personally have been able to do it (as a member of a crew of two) in under a minute.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as Medium Repeaters, I apply a -1D penalty (in addition to any MAPs) for moving and firing in the same round. This represents the bulky and cumbersome nature of the weapon. Stronger characters, like Wookiees and similar species, can waive this penalty due to their strength.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that rule. We've done something similar, allowing larger species such as wookiees to wield bigger weapons without penalty.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

makes sense to me
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
As far as Medium Repeaters, I apply a -1D penalty (in addition to any MAPs) for moving and firing in the same round. This represents the bulky and cumbersome nature of the weapon. Stronger characters, like Wookiees and similar species, can waive this penalty due to their strength.

Is that a flat 1d penalty, or 1d cumulative on each shot?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Is that a flat 1d penalty, or 1d cumulative on each shot?

GM discretion, but I usually go with flat 1D for engaging multiple targets in the same fire arc, with an additional 1D for multiple fire arcs.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What of those harnesses like we saw in the Alien's film for Vasques and that other "Gunner guy" wore? WOuld they lessen or increase MAPs and such?
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say they dont affect MAPs per se, but they give a fire control bonus. With a sophisticated enough targeting system, perhaps even multiple weapons could engage different targets with one action.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
What of those harnesses like we saw in the Alien's film for Vasques and that other "Gunner guy" wore? WOuld they lessen or increase MAPs and such?

LOL, I was just thinking about this. I would say that it negates the additional penalty by transferring all the weight of the weapon to the Gunner's torso, leaving the arms free to operate the weapon. MAPs would still apply as normal. A true smart gun rig (not just the steadi-mount harness) would include fire control systems, as well as an auto-stabilization system built into the harness that helps keep the gun locked on target, which would more than compensate for any MAPs incurred by moving and firing.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

LOL, I was just thinking about this. I would say that it negates the additional penalty by transferring all the weight of the weapon to the Gunner's torso, leaving the arms free to operate the weapon. MAPs would still apply as normal. A true smart gun rig (not just the steadi-mount harness) would include fire control systems, as well as an auto-stabilization system built into the harness that helps keep the gun locked on target, which would more than compensate for any MAPs incurred by moving and firing.

But wouldn't such a rig affect someone's capacity to dodge or move effectively (as well as possibly lowering their move speed)?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not if it is properly designed.

My thinking was that a medium repeater, while not being big or heavy enough to penalize the movement of a character carrying it, was sufficiently large and bulky to be awkward to fire quickly, and that ideal use would require the gunner to set himself and steady the weapon before firing. The primary advantage of a harness would be to take all of the weapon's weight off the character's arms, allowing the arm muscles to be used solely for aiming and firing.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a side question. Do you allow light, medium and heavy repeaters to be set to stun? I know many do for the light repeater but imo both the medium and heavy are too BIG/powerful to get stun settings.
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See riot gun (tripod mounted has only a stun setting).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: