The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

New Starship Damage Chart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> New Starship Damage Chart Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject: New Starship Damage Chart Reply with quote

Revised Starship Damage Chart (use chart from rulebook, page 128, except as noted):

Shields Weakened (replaces Shields Blown). The ship loses 1D from its Shields total for the remainder of this round and all of the next round. If the ship has no dice remaining in shields (or no shield to begin with), the ship suffers the Controls Ionized result. In the event of multiple Shields Weakened results, the shields regain strength at a rate of 1D per round.

Controls Ionized. No Change.

Lightly Damaged.
1. No Change.
2. Sensors Damaged. Re-roll 1D:
    1-3. Sensor Suite Damaged. -1D to all Sensor and Astrogation rolls.
    4-6. Fire Control Damaged. -1D to all Fire Control.
3. Weapons Damaged. Re-roll 1D:
    1-3. One on-board weapon emplacement is rendered inoperative by a major power surge or system failure; it's lightly damaged. Randomly determine which weapon is affected.
    4-6. One on-board weapon emplacement is hit and destroyed; the gunners take damage (see "Passenger Damage".) Randomly determine which weapon is affected.
4. No Change
5. Shields Blown. The ship loses 1D from its Shields total, which lasts until the shields are repaired. If the ship has no remaining dice in Shields, it suffers the Controls Ionized result.
6. No Change.

Heavily Damaged.
1. No Change.
2. Sensors Badly Damaged. Re-roll 1D:
    1-3. Sensor Suite Damaged. -2D to all Sensor and Astrogation rolls.
    4-6. Fire Control Damaged. -2D to all Fire Control
3. Weapons Badly Damaged. Re-Roll 1D:
    1-3. All weapons of one type in one fire arc are rendered inoperative due to a major power surge or system failure, and must be repaired before they can be used again.
    4-6. All weapons of one type in one fire arc are destroyed by a series of power overloads. The gunners take damage (see "Passenger Damage".) Randomly determine which weapon is affected.
4-6. No Change.

Severely Damaged.
1-5. No Change.
6. Sensors Destroyed. All Sensors are rendered inoperable. Fire Control is reduced by -4D, and Piloting and Astrogation suffer a -4D penalty due to the loss of all sensor support for navigation purposes.

Destroyed. - No Change.

Passenger Damage. While the existing rules for passenger damage work fine for small ships (those with a half-dozen crew or fewer), they don't represent the effects of damage on ships with larger crews (in the hundreds or thousands range). Rather than rolling damage against each individual crewman, apply the damage value as a penalty to the ship's Crew Skill dice levels. This represents how crew casualties affect the crew's ability as a whole to operate the ship.
    Lightly Damaged - -1D for 1 round.
    Heavily Damaged - -3D for 1 round, -2D for remainder of battle, -1D until crew casualties can be replaced.
    Severely Damaged - -6D for 1 round, -4D for remainder of battle, -2D until crew casualties can be replaced.
    Destroyed - All crew killed. The only exceptions will be PCs or notable NPCs who managed to make it to escape pods with seconds to spare.

The reasoning behind these changes, in general are:
    Shields Weakened - There are multiple instances in the EU of shields taking enough damage to be temporarily drained of power, yet still being able to regenerate to full strength after a round or two. Seeing as how Controls Ionized is a temporary result, and that Shields Blown was basically identical to the Shields result on the Lightly Damaged sub-chart, I decided to institute this change.

Sensor Damage (All Levels) - Sensors are a critical component of a starship, yet there is no mechanic for them being damaged or destroyed. Seeing as how there were two Weapon results on the Lightly Damaged and Heavily Damaged charts, I decided to consolidate them under a single result, and use the resulting open slot to allow the ship's sensors and fire control to be damaged.

Sensor Damage (Severely Damaged) - On the standard chart, #6 for Severely Damaged is the same as a Destroyed result, which seems rather unfair. As such, I replaced it with a catastrophic sensor damage result.

Passenger Damage - This has been discussed on several occasions here on the Pit, but every method I have seen ends up being too crunchy. Applying dice penalties to represent crew casualties inflicted on larger vessels is not 100% realistic, but it works well for resolving a battle scene against a capital ship (which does, on occasion, happen in the SWU).
Thoughts?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the sensors and crew stuff.

Shields i need to think about.

At what point should switch from RAW to your house rule for crew damage?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Savar wrote:
At what point should switch from RAW to your house rule for crew damage?

At whichever point you feel, as GM, that it will take too much time to roll Passenger Damage against every single member of a ship's crew and passenger complement. Realistically, it would be for capital ships, both friendly and enemy, but there may be some instances where smaller craft would benefit from this rule.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Savar wrote:

That's fine; it won't be for everyone. My motivation for changing it had multiple reasons, not least of which that I was trying to eliminate duplication on the chart. Since Shields Blown and Shields Lightly Damaged were essentially the same thing, I felt a temporary reduction in shield dice paired well with the temporary reduction in function caused by Controls Ionized.

On top of that, it also fits well with my alternate rules for ion cannon, in that ion cannons no longer ignore shields, but are extremely effective at bringing them down.

Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Savar wrote:

That's fine; it won't be for everyone. My motivation for changing it had multiple reasons, not least of which that I was trying to eliminate duplication on the chart. Since Shields Blown and Shields Lightly Damaged were essentially the same thing, I felt a temporary reduction in shield dice paired well with the temporary reduction in function caused by Controls Ionized.

On top of that, it also fits well with my alternate rules for ion cannon, in that ion cannons no longer ignore shields, but are extremely effective at bringing them down.

I LIKE the idea of ion cannons doing extra damage to shields rather then ignoring them.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Savar wrote:
I LIKE the idea of ion cannons doing extra damage to shields rather then ignoring them.

Well, in that case...

I basically treat shields like Cover against ion cannon. My explanation is that ion cannon blasts do not maintain cohesion nearly as well as a blast from a laser or turbolaser. As such, they tend to deliver all their energy against the first obstacle they encounter. When an ion cannon strikes a shield, it rolls against the Shield dice alone, not Hull+Shields, using the Ion Cannon damage chart to generate a penalty.

This is the current version from my Advanced Starfighter Combat rules...

Ion Cannon vs. Shields
When firing against a shielded target, ion cannon no longer ignore the shields; instead, they treat the shields as Full Cover, and roll their attack just against the Shield Dice only.
    Ion Roll > Shields by = Result
    1-4 = Shields -1D
    5-8 = Shields -2D
    9-12 = Shields -3D
    13-15 = Shields -4D
    16+ = Shields - 5D

Shields recharge at a rate of 1D per round. If the target takes a Controls Dead result on the normal Ion Damage chart, the shields generators are blown and must be repaired before they can be used again.
In addition, if the shield takes enough ion damage, there is the potential that some will punch through the shields and strike the ship instead.
    Ion Roll > Shields by = Roll Ion Damage vs. Hull
    0-3 = Ion Damage -4D
    4-8 = Ion Damage -2D
    9-12 = Ion Damage -1D
    13+ = Full Damage

Using the ESB example, the Hoth Ion Cannon rolled 12D Capital against the 3D Capital Shields of the Imperial Star Destroyer. That 9D difference was more than enough to blow right through the shields as though they weren't even there and disable the ISD with a single shot. The second shot was just icing on the cake.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I've been thinking about this again...

On the RAW damage chart for Severely Damaged, two of the results ultimately elevate to Destroyed (either right away on a 6, or in 1D rounds on a 5). I've already suggested an alternative here by converting the 6 result into catastrophic sensor damage. However, I think I'd like to take it a step further and suggest the following changes:

Severely Damaged.
5 - Controls Damaged / Bridge Smashed. The ship's control systems are badly damaged. -3D to all skill rolls. For starfighters and space transports, the ship's control linkages and computer systems have been damaged; for capital ships, the ship's bridge or other central command station has taken a direct hit, killing or injuring many of the ship's senior officers

Catastrophic Damage. (Replaces Destroyed)
1-3 - Structural Damage. The ship is so badly damaged that it begins to come apart. The crew has 1D rounds to abandon ship before it is destroyed.

4-5 - Blazing Hulk. The ship is badly damaged and fire rages inside. Roll 1D every round; on a 1, the ship explodes.

6 - Destroyed. The ship instantly explodes in a ball of flame, and all aboard are killed.

My thinking here is to make a more definitive division between Severely Damaged and Destroyed by moving the results which specify the destruction of the ship into a separate category from Severely Damaged.

Changing Destroyed to Catastrophic Damage is intended primarily for PC ships, with the Destroyed result from the RAW being reserved for NPC vessels. The idea here is to give the PCs a chance of survival on a Destroyed result, as opposed to outright destruction.

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having a hard time deciding whether Blazing Hulk or Structural Damage is a worse result.

Perhaps structural damage ought to be 1D minutes instead of rounds 1D rounds?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it.. Though on your "Blazing hulk" roll.. what would the damage be to those inside?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
I'm having a hard time deciding whether Blazing Hulk or Structural Damage is a worse result.

Well, neither of them are supposed to be all that great. The basic idea for both is, "the ship is done for, but you have just enough time to get out with your lives and whatever you happened to be carrying at the time."

Quote:

Kinda loses the sense of urgency, IMO. 1D rounds is what the RAW damage chart uses for structural damage, so I kept it and just moved it up a step.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I like it.. Though on your "Blazing hulk" roll.. what would the damage be to those inside?

Hadn't really decided; I felt that there was too much variation in individual ships and deck plans to make a single rule. I figured I would let the GMs pick the locations of the fire within the ship as appropriate for their own story lines and plot complications.

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Naaman wrote:

Well, neither of them are supposed to be all that great. The basic idea for both is, "the ship is done for, but you have just enough time to get out with your lives and whatever you happened to be carrying at the time."

Quote:

Kinda loses the sense of urgency, IMO. 1D rounds is what the RAW damage chart uses for structural damage, so I kept it and just moved it up a step.

I assumed that the lower result was supposed to be a "lesser" effect. I have a hard time imagining a super star destroyer coming apart in 1D rounds.

Anyway, if it works for ya, I'm all for it!
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
I assumed that the lower result was supposed to be a "lesser" effect. I have a hard time imagining a super star destroyer coming apart in 1D rounds.

Again, the Catastrophic Damage result is intended for PC-manned craft, so as to allow for a greater chance of survival even in the event of a destroyed craft. Unless the PCs were somehow in command of the Super Star Destroyer, it would still get the Destroyed result and blow up with all hands, in which case you would revert to the Crew Casualty section in the original post.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Tue May 23, 2017 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, now I get it 8)
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So only PC used ships would get this revised damage chart, all else would use the regular one?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: