The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

New Starship Damage Chart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> New Starship Damage Chart Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...

Gave it my best shot!
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Well...

Gave it my best shot!

So, no thoughts on any of the rest of it?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean other than acceleration compensators?

I just kinda joined the discussion at that point. I'll go back and see what else has come up.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm only on page 2 right now of my read through of this thread. I will read more as time allows. In the meantime, I think the following are both brilliant:

CRMcNeill wrote:
A couple open questions for Catastrophic Damage:

1). What would be the Terrain Difficulty of the inside of a starship that is in the process of coming apart?

2). What would be some good entries on a 1D Random Encounter Chart for internal damage? Right now I'm thinking Fire, Electrical Hazard and Blocked Passageway. Does anyone have some other ideas?

garhkal wrote:
Other hazards..

Leaks, like say coolant sprayin all over the place.
Gravity screw ups due to grav plates getting damaged/losing power
cargo and other belongings flying all over

As to the terrain, i could easily see it being a cluttered environ equating to low to medium level difficult (16-18)..

I don't know if what follows would necessitate a new "category" of hazard, but here are my thoughts.

Flying debris could require dodge rolls.

Large obstacles could require climbing rolls.

The ship actively coming apart could require running (that is, "balance") rolls per RAW as the footing is constantly shifting.

Areas subject to vacuum may trigger survival rolls to find pockets of air on the othrwise "best" route to the escape pods.

I could also see security rolls being used to override door locks that have been jammed shut due to electrical damage or as a "safety" measure to prevent access by more expendable personnel.

This leads to my final thought, which is that PCs could encounter droves of other crew/passengers who are panicked and willing to harm/kill them for a spot on the escape pod, so amidst all the other hazards, they may have to fight as well.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a thought on my Critical Damage Rule proposal. I was somewhat stumped on a sixth option, but then something occurred to me: a fuel leak. I already have my Endurance Dice Rule, so it's conceivable that damage to the ship could also damage its fuel supply.

Of course, I'll need to work out a better conversion chart for the Endurance Dice, but I've been putting some thought into that, too.

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
REVISED STARSHIP DAMAGE CHART

So one of the WEG Mon Calamari freighters not only has back-up shields, but also has backup sensors and backup life support systems. The capsule language is such that these features were also present in prior Mon Cal models. There aren't rules for that in the stats, but I want to honor that in my stock transports project I'm working on. To have a backup of something should mean there is a chance the primary system can go out, or else there would be no point in the backup. (I see you have damaged sensors as a part of your chart.)

So this got me thinking about what my starship damage chart will look like. As an overall structure, I want all my damage charts to have some unity with my wound system, which I had alluded to in the thread for your Droid Damage Chart (which is not on your stats/rules index BTW).

And regarding the Inertial Compensators discussion, I wrote into my deckplan details for the MC-13v2 that the ship has a "secondary inertial compensator". I see inertial compensation as vital to organic life traveling space, so all spaceships should have a backup. if the primary goes out the secondary automatically kicks in. These don't necessarily provide 100% compensation, but a percentage in the 90s. If one is blown out and the other is damaged, I can see it providing a lower percentage of compensation thus requiring reduced ship performance for the ship occupants to stay conscious and survive (like you mentioned in the thread). If the primary compensator is only damaged and the secondary is undamaged, then they could manually switch over to the undamaged system.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alternately, you could parallel the original Backup Shields rule and allow the backup system to be brought on line by an Easy or Moderate Sensors or Ship Operations skill roll

Whill

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Alternately, you could parallel the original Backup Shields rule and allow the backup system to be brought on line by an Easy or Moderate Sensors or Ship Operations skill roll

Sure, that's what I was going to do, but that's not why I mentioned it in this thread.

For one to ever need to bring up a backup, that would mean that there would have to be a chance somewhere of the primary going down, which would affect all ships, whether they have a backup or not. You have sensors getting damaged on your chart. My damage chart will also have life support going down.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am considering it as part of the Critical Damage rule, which I have yet to fully conceptualize. My current plan would be to have a separate chart, triggered either by Wild Dice or some other factor, that causes some sort of additional damage (fire, life support failure, artificial gravity, etc) that kicks in in addition to whatever the initial damage was.

Whill

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. I'd really like to see the Critical Damage chart.

And although I am not as beholden to computer game continuity as you, I really like the Shields Drained concept.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Cool. I'd really like to see the Critical Damage chart.

I kinda picture the scene from ANH like this. The Falcon gets hit, Leia tells Han "we lost the lateral controls", Han replies "don't worry, she'll hold together", but a fire also starts internally, requiring Artoo to put it out. In game terms, the TIE Fighter hits for Light Damage (-1D to Maneuverability), but fails the Critical Damage roll for a Fire result (rule-wise, the ship would start taking Damage once per round, increasing at a rate of +1 pip - or +1D, depending on your preference, per round until the fire is extinguished or the ship is destroyed).

Quote:
And although I am not as beholden to computer game continuity as you, I really like the Shields Drained concept.

That one came through a few derivations to reach that point. I wanted to include some aspect of shields being temporarily reduced in power, but there wasn't really a way to do it that wasn't fiendishly complicated. On top of that, there were two potential Shields Blown results, one as part of Shields Blown / Controls Ionized and the other as a Lightly Damaged option.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Droid Damage Chart (which is not on your stats/rules index BTW).

Added to the House Rules section.

Whill

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool.

CRMcNeill wrote:
REVISED STARSHIP DAMAGE CHART (use chart from rulebook, page 128, except as noted):

Shields Drained. (replaces Shields Blown). The ship's Shields are reduced to 0D for the remainder of this round. The ship suffers no permanent damage, and the Shields are recharged to full strength by the beginning of the next round. If the ship has no shields to begin with, it suffers the Ionization result instead.

I would suggest a minor rewrite of the last sentence. Don't you also mean that if all the ship's shields have been blown (from prior attacks of more severe damage) so there are no shields remaining when the shields drain result occurs, that would mean that the ship would suffer Ionization? It's not only if there are no shields to begin with, right? No shields currently, right? I think you mean this:

Quote:
If all the shields have already been blown or the ship has no shields to begin with or, it suffers the Ionization result instead.

Or something to that effect.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=199356#199356

CRMcNeill wrote:
...For Ion Cannon, it's slightly different, as under my rules, Ion Cannon have a disruptive effect on Shields. It would use the same procedure as above, but with the following chart:
    Ion Roll > Shields by = Ionization = Target Hull Ionization Modifier
    0-3 = Shields -1D = +4D
    4-7 = Shields -2D = +3D
    8-11 = Shields -3D = +2D
    12-15 = Shields -4D = +1D
    16+ = Shields -5D = +0D
Basically, not only do Ion Cannon have a degrading effect on Shields, but there is a chance that enough Ion Energy will bleed through to still have an effect on the ship.

Also, this seems to be the latest version of your Ion Damage rules I could find. This does not seem edited into your Starship Damage Chart. Are these rules dependent on the alternate shield rules in the thread I got this from (linked above)?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Also, this seems to be the latest version of your Ion Damage rules I could find. This does not seem edited into your Starship Damage Chart. Are these rules dependent on the alternate shield rules in the thread I got this from (linked above)?

Shouldn't be. In either case, the Ionization Damage is rolled against the Shield Dice alone, which in turn generates the modifying value to apply to the target's Hull. The alternate shields rule is only slightly removed from the RAW (applies MAPs to Shields when covering multiple arcs, rather than treating them as a dice pool).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 10 of 13

Jump to: