The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

(First play of) Assault on Hoth
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games -> (First play of) Assault on Hoth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jawa1138
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject: (First play of) Assault on Hoth Reply with quote

Assault on Hoth [boxed game]

So, Whill mentioned that the game felt biased toward the Rebel player with RAW.

I have only played once so far and to be honest I feel it's pretty well balanced.

I played the Rebels and my son played the Imps.

He started with his AT-ATs poised on the Shield Generator side of the board and never even attempted to make his way toward the Power Generator. He ran the walkers strait up the screen leaving them in quite a bunch, which I felt would be a huge advantage to my speeders who made straight for them and stayed with them the entire way.

Unfortunately, my manuevering to stay with the walkers is the only thing that I seemed to do right. Even with Luke spending three force points for every attack on a walker I was not able to roll three Lightsabers to score a hit. He on the other hand seemed to have no problem picking off my troops and tower standing in his way and having recieved a Veers Directs Fire card (2 dice bonus to hit) he nailed my Shield Generator from two hex range ending the game with no walkers or speeders destroyed.

It seems that if you have a good shuffeling of the Event Cards and the Imp players stays focused on the winning objective that it is pretty balanced. I could see how the Rebel could win pretty easily if the Transport is Away cards are near the top of the deck as we drew about 10 event cards during our game.

Anyway that is our first experience, if I see future games being unbalanced, I'll let you know.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Thanks for the report!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
jawa1138
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also want to say that the reason I really wanted this game, besides the fact that it looks great on my shelf, is because there is a module that uses it to resolve a major battle for the rp game.

After playing the game I might actually use the same idea for adventures that I write that have big battles planned. With the players controling the heros and some preplanned tactics for the rebel npcs. It wouldn't be hard for a gm to spend half of a game session playing out some pretty epic battles for the rpg with the simple rules for this game.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Assault on Hoth Reply with quote

I got the game out last night played it with my 6-year-old son. It was my first time playing the game in a little over 16 years. I did have to use a permanent marker to restore every single lightsaber that had completely faded away on the fire dice.

My son was the Rebel Alliance and he did very good for his first time and being a kindergartener. He destroyed every single unit I had in the game (including an AT-ST reinforcement) except my four AT-ATs walkers. He was somewhat conservative with Luke's Force Points and the few small boosts he gave himself just could not bring down any AT-ATs. I'm thinking it is a significant amount more difficult to damage Armor 3 items on average ("That armor's too strong for blasters."), but I didn't run the math on that. It ended up very close with with four Rebel transports away before I got a walker close enough to use the General Veers ("Target, maximum firepower") card and destroyed the shield generator on my first attempt on it for the win.

But he wasn't discouraged and we played again today with me playing the Rebels this time. It didn't go well for him, but he is only 6. I eventually destroyed all Imperial forces in the game before he got too close to the shield generator, but hopefully he learned to be a little more strategic about the game going forward.

EDIT: Arrow Assault On Hoth
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: