The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Fire Rates
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Fire Rates Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. I cam up with a recoil value for firearms as, to me they SHOULD get some modifier just like in practically every other game system that has them in use. BUT IMO all personal ranged weapons, from a blaster, to a missile launcher, to a blunderbuss should have some recoil value..
klhaviation
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Fire Rates Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
headsetguy wrote:
Posting for the first time.

Welcome to the Pit, headsetguy!

Naaman wrote:
I think this is correct.

Yeah, I agree that is correct by RAW. However since you refer to musket I'm guessing you are referring to the REUP rules. I just noticed that the heavy blaster in R&E doesn't have a Fire Rate which per p. 91 would mean there is no max fire rate. But they added the stat to REUP as if they were correctly a mistake in R&E, but I don't think it is a mistake. Not all weapons have a fire rate and it seems from Han and Luke's use of the heavy blaster in the films, it was really intended for the heavy blaster to not have one. So that would appear to be an error with REUP.

Regarding the question about fire rates in general, combat rounds can be up to 5 seconds long. I think RAW blew it for at least some of the weapons, with respect to the films. For one, the stormtrooper blaster rifles obviously also have a fire rate of more than 1. I can't imagine why the blaster pistol would only have a 1 when the heavy blaster pistol doesn't have a limit.

So you could just ignore fire rates as Naaman does. I'm more inclined to go through them and restat them all sometime, starting with the film weapons and then extrapolating from there for the non-film weapons. I don't think unlimited fire rate makes sense for any weapon either. It is up to you for your own SWU if you want the film weapon in your game to work like the ones in the films.

Yeah that was an oversight in REUP. We were trying to unify the equipment and weapon stats into a stronger system that was seamless across Clone Wars to Rebellion era... because we did that, in the editing process we retype most Stat blocks from scratch using a template... some how ROF got in the wrong place.... and after 2 attempts we still never got the system fully unified (and clone wars stats are a bit of a mess too)
Jonos
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been ignoring ROF as well, seeing as how the MAP would handle any recoil issues that may arise. I have lots of real world firearms experience, though, and when firing a weapon with a full auto, burst, or single shot setting does make a difference.

I would propose assigning one of those categories to each weapon (and assume that they can always fire on a slower setting) and then you would only have two rules to fiddle with.

Just off the top of my head:

Full auto - adds +1D to hit, consumes 5x ammo.
Burst Fire - adds +1 to hit, +2 damage, consumes 3x ammo
Single - as standard

That wouldn't change any of the RAW fire rates, since you are only getting to take the number of 'fire actions" as stated in the rules. The fire action itself doesn't change, just how the weapons deals hits and damage.

Another thought would be to add a 'sustained fire" action in which a character takes no other action except fires his weapon from round to round taking one action (reactives allowed). The character would continue to gain a +1 bonus to hit until he capped out at, say, +1D.
headsetguy
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:38 pm    Post subject: Fire Rates Reply with quote

So I have have had two sessions (both with combat) and have been letting MAP dictate the number of shots fired and not the Fire Rates. So far, it does not seem particularly imbalanced. Of course these are just starting characters and perhaps I will feel differently when blaster skill start creeping up to 7D, but we will see. If there were to be a REUP Mk III, it would be great if Fire Rates were adjusted in the weapons section, but I believe, from what I have read, the authors are moving on to other things.
Thanks, everyone for the great discussion.
klhaviation
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Fire Rates Reply with quote

headsetguy wrote:
So I have have had two sessions (both with combat) and have been letting MAP dictate the number of shots fired and not the Fire Rates. So far, it does not seem particularly imbalanced. Of course these are just starting characters and perhaps I will feel differently when blaster skill start creeping up to 7D, but we will see. If there were to be a REUP Mk III, it would be great if Fire Rates were adjusted in the weapons section, but I believe, from what I have read, the authors are moving on to other things.
Thanks, everyone for the great discussion.

There are no plans for REUP MKIII...there is an errata thread in the Tools Forum.
However, we are close to a first draft of our next project... which is 1st edition, this one will be a departure from REUP, in size, scope, and game play style.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: