The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Modified Skipray Blastboat B-Wing/E2 Ugly Gunship
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Modified Skipray Blastboat B-Wing/E2 Ugly Gunship Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 3:45 am    Post subject: Modified Skipray Blastboat B-Wing/E2 Ugly Gunship Reply with quote

Here's an ugly I've put together but I'm not sure if it's balanced. I figure the ship has an abundance of power from the two extra B-Wing ion engines for the capital scale shields taken from a Gamma assault shuttle, but I'm unsure if the speed increase I guessed the engines provide is too low or too high.

Any opinions/criticism will be appreciated.

Modified Skipray Blastboat B-Wing/E2 Ugly Gunship

Craft: Sienar Fleet Systems GAT-12g Skypray
Affiliation: Pirate/Privateer
Type: Defense and patrol blastboat/Ugly
Scale: Capital (due to power output & shields)
Length: 25 meters
Wingspan: 36 meters
Skill: Starfighter piloting: skypray blastboat/B-Wing Ugly
Crew: 2 (1 can coordinate), gunners: 2, skeleton:1/+5
Crew Skill: Astrogation 4D, capital ship gunnery 5D, starfighter piloting 4D, starship gunnery 5D+1, Capital Ship shields 4D+1
Cargo Capacity: 10 metric tons (1 ton scanner resistant secret compartment)
Consumables: 1 month
Cost: 1,000,000
Hyperdrive Multiplier: X1
Hyperdrive Backups (2): X8
Nav Computer: Yes; Uses 8 Astromech droid brains networked to calculate jumps
Nav Computer Bypass: Yes - Allows course changes after jumping into hyperspace
Maneuverability: 1D+2
Space: 10
Atmosphere: 415; 1,200 kmh
Hull: 4D+1
Shields: 5D (Shields Capital scale from a Gamma Assault Shuttle)

Sensors:
Passive: 35/1D
Scan: 60/1D+2
Search: 100/2D
Focus: 3/2D+2

Stealth: +2D difficulty Sensor Mask; +2D difficulty Sensor Baffling

Weapons: Main Hull

2 Laser Cannons (fire-linked)
Fire Arc: Turret
Crew: 1
Scale: Starfighter
Skill: Starship gunnery
Fire Control: 1D
Space Range: 1-3/12/25
Atmosphere Range: 100-300/1.2/2.5 km
Damage: 5D

One Medium Ion Cannon (Nose Mount)
Fire Arc: Front
Skill: Capital ship gunnery
Fire Control: 3D
Damage: 4D

Proton Torpedo Launcher (Nose Mount)
Crew: 1 ( same gunner as ion cannon )
Fire Control: 2D
Space Range: 1/3/7
Atmosphere Range: 50-100/300/700
Ammo: 12
Damage: 9D

Concussion Missile Launcher (Nose Mount)
Crew: 1 (same gunner as ion cannon)
Space Range.1/3/7
Atmosphere Range: 1-50/100/250
Ammo: 18
Damage: 6D

Tractor Beam Projector
Fire Control: 4D
Space range: 1-3/8/12
Atmosphere Range: 100-300/800/1.2 km
--------------------------------------------
Weapons: Wing Mounted (each wing)

2 Proton Torpedo Launchers
Space Range: 1/5/9
Atmosphere Range: 50-100/500/900
Ammo: 10 each

3 Medium Ion Cannons (fire-linked)
Space Range: 1-5/9/40
Atmosphere Range: 100-500/900/4 km
Damage: 4D

2 Laser Cannons (fire-linked)
Skill: Capital ship gunnery
Damage: 8D
-----------------------------------------------------
Sensor Mask
Model: Fabritech Vanish 2 Military Sensor Masking System
Type: Sensor countermeasure masking system
Scale: Starfighter or capital
Cost: 150,000 per Hull die; 300,000 per capital Hull die
Availability: 4, X

Game Notes: When activated, the sensor mask adds 2D to enemy sensor operator’s difficulty to detect and identify. Current masking technologies offer a maximum of 3D of sensor protection. Such items are practically impossible to locate, and are often considerably more expensive than the market norm.
Source: Pirates & Privateers (pages 38-39)

Sensor Baffling
Model: Arakyd Nightshadow anti-sensor treatment
Type: Sensor countermeasure coating
Scale: Starfighter or capital
Cost: 20,000 per starfighter scale Hull die (ignore pips); 50,000 per capital scale Hull die (ignore pips)
Availability: 4, X

Game Notes: A ship treated with this material adds to a sensor operator’s difficulty to detect the ship. A light treatment adds 1D to the difficulty. A heavy treatment (a second coat) adds 2D. Additional treatments are futile, since the treatment does nothing to prevent the detection of engine exhaust, a primary method of detecting ships. The type of vessel affects how well the ship can be “stealthed” – blunt, angular ships, 500 meters or more in length, or more than 5D Hull (either capital or starfighter scale) can only be “baffled” up to 1D of protection. Slender, rounded off ships (smaller Mon Calamari vessels for example) are easier to baffle, due to their natural design.
Source: Pirates & Privateers (page 38)

Backup Battery
Model: Corellian Engineering Corp. Lifesaver Emergency Battery
Type: Backup battery
Cost: 10,000
Weight: 1 metric ton
Availability: 2

Game Notes: This backup battery is marketed as a life support system fail-safe, allowing up to an hour’s extra survival in the event of a catastrophic power failure. Ordinarily, life support fails while running silent in only a few minutes, due to lack of power, but the backup battery allows the ship to lurk in space for an extended period.
Source: Pirates & Privateers (page 40)

Solid Fuel Converter
Converts virtually any matter into fuel cell power. A ship can refuel on bulky, low energy materials - oxygen, water, plastics, cellulose (wood), waste-or heavy metals and other high energy materials. The ship will be able to halve its “restocking” fee at starports, but the captain will have to personally arrange for fuel supplies elsewhere.
Cost: 8,000 credits.
Weight: 5 tons

Scanner Resistant Secret Cargo Compartments
Scanner Resistant: Requires a Very Difficult Perception roll to locate, does not show up on scanners at all.
Cost: 1,000 credits per ton of cargo to be hidden. 20% or 1 ton of the ships cargo is a secret compartment

Automatic Cargo Jettisoning
A wonderful way to avoid an Imperial fine, as well as a quick way to get in trouble with your loan-shark. This device will jettison whatever portion of your cargo you wish, whether it be in the secret compartment or in the main bay. Can be triggered by either a dead-man switch or by command from the ship’s computer.
Cost: 1,000 credits.
Weight: 1 ton.
---------------------------------------------------
Ship's Security

Console Dead Locks

Model: Arakyd PowerLock 2500
Type: Console power lock
Cost: 1,000 (electronic combination), 1,500 (key card)

Game Notes: Cuts the energy feed to your control boards. Installing the lock yourself requires a Very Difficult security roll. Failure damages some of the cockpit, instrumentation and controls. Bypassing the lock requires a Very Difficult security roll.
Source: Platt’s Smugglers Guide (page 56)

Console Lock Panels
Model: Varge Corp. CS20 Board Plate
Type: Control lock panel
Cost: 300 (electronic combination), 500 (key card)

Game Notes: Installing the panel assembly yourself requires a Difficult security roll. Failure means the lock sometimes sticks, and sometimes doesn’t engage all the way. Bypassing the lock requires a Moderate security roll. To engage or remove the panel takes six rounds.
Source: Platt’s Smugglers Guide (page 56)

Last edited by ForbinProject on Tue May 17, 2016 7:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any uglies should have most of the disadvantages and few if any of the advantages of a properly put together starfighter - with the possible exception of the twi'lek Chir'daki.

I feel that you have too many advantages here. I suggest dropping the Space to perhaps 9 or even 8, and perhaps dropping any fire control down to 1D.

Also, that connection point aft of the blastboat hull looks like it should be fragile to stresses - maybe dropping the maneuverability even further, or perhaps removing a hull die or two and possibly adding jury rig dice to the Hull code instead?
ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate the feedback. As to the picture itself, my cut and paste skills are at best rudimentary. I wanted to get the wings a bit bigger and closer to the skipray main body but the edges of the cut out for the larger wings was covering up other parts of the blastboat. So the picture is just a rough idea of what the ugly looks like.
ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay tried fixing the picture. Does this look better?

[/img]
thedemonapostle
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well...

you took an over powered starfighter and screwed with it. ill try to go down the list with my thoughts:
the width would be closer to about 28-30 meters
the cargo capacity would probably be a lot less given the systems being run from the 2 B-Wing/E2's through the ship
there are 3 hyperdrives on this ship and none come the the various ships this ugly was made from.
nav computer is a full system rather than the limited ones from the source parts
the maneuverability is too high.
the space is too high. the added engines from the B-Wing's are slower than that of the skipray's. best you could hope for in my opinion would be to retain the base space of the skipray.
the hull code is a full 2D over the original platform's 2D+1. i personally do not believe that adding the wings and drive sections from 2 starfighter scale ships is going to increase the hull by much, if any on a capital scale ship. if anything the added structures would reduce the overall hull code because the added parts are technically weaker than the base structure.
you removed the shields of the skipray and dropped in the larger systems from a slightly larger ship. and then made them even more powerful.
-this capital scale medium ion cannon was doing 4D damage while firelinked with 2 other medium ion cannons. the damage for it after removing 2 of the 3 should be 2D-2D+1 unless its been modified
the rest of the weapons seem excessive but not completely unheard of. the big issue is going to be fire control. i have no issue with the fire control on the skiprays original systems. but the added b-wings systems would have to have lousy fire control. minus the lasers, you lose 1D fire control. then youve ripped off the cockpit and mounted the rest on the rotating rear section of a skipray. the best you could hope for would be 1D for basic stuff and maybe, maybe 2D for the better stuff.

cost:
this thing is going to cost a lot, a lot more than what youve listed.
skipray blastboat GAT-12g: 285,000 (new), 150,000 (used) (figure you went used)
B-Wing/E2: 250,000 (no used price listed, so we have to go with the new price)
total so far: 650,000

Sensor Mask for 4D capital scale: 1,200,000
Sensor Baffling for 4D capital scale: 200,000
Backup Battery: 10,000
Solid Fuel Converter: 5,000
Scanner Resistant Secret Cargo Compartments 1 ton: 1,000
Automatic Cargo Jettisoning: 1,000
Console Dead Locks: 1,000 (electronic combination), 1,500 (key card)
Console Lock Panels: 300 (electronic combination), 500 (key card)
total so far: 2,068,300-2,069,000
now that is not including the upwards of an addition 25%-35% in parts just to attach everything together, nor does it include the cost of the shields system, or the 3 hyperdrives or the other systems that youve got in there.
all in all youre looking at around 2.5 - 3 million just in the cost of materials. and at that cost, youre in the corvette range for ship costs.

if this were going to be an off the shelf production line model, the cost would probably be around 33%-50% of the cost but we all know that isnt going to be the case here.

also, something thats completely missing, the mishap modifiers for modifying something. i doubt that any of this was done in an actual shop by professional or better grade technicians. (if it was you could pretty much guarantee a large multiplier added to the base cost just to account for labor costs).

this "ugly" ship is over gunned. i know for a fact that a lot of people here on The Rancor Pit have issues with the power of the skipray.

another issue. this ship has lots of guns, most fixed forward. even at its current maneuverability and speed, its a sitting duck. most starfighters would have trouble with it, but every capital scale ship would instantly pick up on its high power signature and just start shooting at it. against a standard star destroyer, youre S.O.L.

in closing, in theory its an interesting idea. its overgunned, overpowered, and some of the listed math doesnt add up properly. it would be a target for anyone wanting the ship for themselves and simple bait for the larger capital ships.

d6holocron.com: Thedemonapostle

Thedemonapostle Star Wars Crossovers
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Space should be 7 or 6, IMHO.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn wrote:
Any uglies should have most of the disadvantages and few if any of the advantages of a properly put together starfighter - with the possible exception of the twi'lek Chir'daki.

I feel that you have too many advantages here. I suggest dropping the Space to perhaps 9 or even 8, and perhaps dropping any fire control down to 1D.

Also, that connection point aft of the blastboat hull looks like it should be fragile to stresses - maybe dropping the maneuverability even further, or perhaps removing a hull die or two and possibly adding jury rig dice to the Hull code instead?

Agreed. You seem to have made a common mistake many do, that they only look for the bonuses, never negatives of such a combination..
ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thedemonapostle wrote:
well...

you took an over powered starfighter and screwed with it. ill try to go down the list with my thoughts:
the width would be closer to about 28-30 meters
the cargo capacity would probably be a lot less given the systems being run from the 2 B-Wing/E2's through the ship
there are 3 hyperdrives on this ship and none come the the various ships this ugly was made from.
nav computer is a full system rather than the limited ones from the source parts
the maneuverability is too high.
the space is too high. the added engines from the B-Wing's are slower than that of the skipray's. best you could hope for in my opinion would be to retain the base space of the skipray.
the hull code is a full 2D over the original platform's 2D+1. i personally do not believe that adding the wings and drive sections from 2 starfighter scale ships is going to increase the hull by much, if any on a capital scale ship. if anything the added structures would reduce the overall hull code because the added parts are technically weaker than the base structure.
you removed the shields of the skipray and dropped in the larger systems from a slightly larger ship. and then made them even more powerful.
-this capital scale medium ion cannon was doing 4D damage while firelinked with 2 other medium ion cannons. the damage for it after removing 2 of the 3 should be 2D-2D+1 unless its been modified
the rest of the weapons seem excessive but not completely unheard of. the big issue is going to be fire control. i have no issue with the fire control on the skiprays original systems. but the added b-wings systems would have to have lousy fire control. minus the lasers, you lose 1D fire control. then youve ripped off the cockpit and mounted the rest on the rotating rear section of a skipray. the best you could hope for would be 1D for basic stuff and maybe, maybe 2D for the better stuff.

cost:
this thing is going to cost a lot, a lot more than what youve listed.
skipray blastboat GAT-12g: 285,000 (new), 150,000 (used) (figure you went used)
B-Wing/E2: 250,000 (no used price listed, so we have to go with the new price)
total so far: 650,000

Sensor Mask for 4D capital scale: 1,200,000
Sensor Baffling for 4D capital scale: 200,000
Backup Battery: 10,000
Solid Fuel Converter: 5,000
Scanner Resistant Secret Cargo Compartments 1 ton: 1,000
Automatic Cargo Jettisoning: 1,000
Console Dead Locks: 1,000 (electronic combination), 1,500 (key card)
Console Lock Panels: 300 (electronic combination), 500 (key card)
total so far: 2,068,300-2,069,000
now that is not including the upwards of an addition 25%-35% in parts just to attach everything together, nor does it include the cost of the shields system, or the 3 hyperdrives or the other systems that youve got in there.
all in all youre looking at around 2.5 - 3 million just in the cost of materials. and at that cost, youre in the corvette range for ship costs.

if this were going to be an off the shelf production line model, the cost would probably be around 33%-50% of the cost but we all know that isnt going to be the case here.

also, something thats completely missing, the mishap modifiers for modifying something. i doubt that any of this was done in an actual shop by professional or better grade technicians. (if it was you could pretty much guarantee a large multiplier added to the base cost just to account for labor costs).

this "ugly" ship is over gunned. i know for a fact that a lot of people here on The Rancor Pit have issues with the power of the skipray.

another issue. this ship has lots of guns, most fixed forward. even at its current maneuverability and speed, its a sitting duck. most starfighters would have trouble with it, but every capital scale ship would instantly pick up on its high power signature and just start shooting at it. against a standard star destroyer, youre S.O.L.

in closing, in theory its an interesting idea. its overgunned, overpowered, and some of the listed math doesnt add up properly. it would be a target for anyone wanting the ship for themselves and simple bait for the larger capital ships.

Thank for going into a detailed explanation with your feedback. I figured my math was weak but I was basing this ship idea off of the Deathraven which according to Wookipedia was an official ship published in the 2001 sourcebook Starships of the Galaxy.

Now not having that sourcebook I eventually found stats for the Deathraven on the D6Holocron

Deathraven
Craft: Heavily-Modified Slayn & Korpil B-wing/E 2
Affiliation: Erron Kell (mercenary pilot)
Era: New Jedi Order
Source: Starships of the Galaxy (page 80)
Type: Heavy starfighter
Length: 32 meters
Skill: Starfighter piloting: Deathraven
Crew Skill: Unique
Passengers: 1
Cargo Capacity: 250 kilograms
Consumables: 2 months
Cost: Not available for sale (609,000 estimated)
Hyperdrive Multiplier: x1
Nav Computer: Limited to 2 jumps
Maneuverability: 1D+1
Space: 8
Atmosphere: 365; 1,050 kmh
Hull: 5D
Shields: 5D
Sensors:
Passive: 30/0D
Scan: 65/1D
Search: 80/2D
Focus: 4/3D+2
Weapons:
4 Assault Laser Cannons (fire-linked)
Space Range: 1-3/15/25
Atmosphere Range: 100-300/1.5/2.5 km
Damage: 8D+2
4 Proton Torpedo Launchers (fire-linked)
Ammo: 10 torpedoes each
Space Range: 1/5/9
Atmosphere Range: 50-100/500/900
8 Light Ion Cannons (fire-linked)
Space Range: 1-5/9/40
Atmosphere Range: 100-500/900/4 km
Damage: 5D+2

So as a novice I followed this example and used templates from the D6Holocron and CRMcNeill's Skipray thread here on the Rancor Pit to put this ship concept together.

Oh and I am making some changes to my design based on people's feedback.

Mishap modifiers: Yeah I honestly admit I skipped those because the ships are being redesigned and built covertly at a secret facility by a government not aligned with either the republic or Imperial factions.

Cost: Yeah I figured with the redesign and additions the ships would cost at least 1 million credits each.

Ship Wingspan dropped to 30m? Sure not a problem.

Cargo lower? Again not a problem. I'll drop it down to 1 ton scanner resistant space. TBH when I saw that the D6Holocron listed the cargo was 20mt I felt that was too high. but used it as an excuse to fit in some electronics, backup battery, and solid fuel converter.

The three hyperdrives... I may have wrongly assumed the B-wing hyperdrives were located near the ion drives located in the wing of the B-wing rather than the cockpit. Based on that assumption I thought that since the weren't being removed they could be used as backups, but since most backups aren't x2 I downgraded them to x8

The original Skipray hyperdrive is x2 but I felt the people redesigning the ship could get it upgraded to x1, but I can go with the original x2.

Nav Computer: Okay what if I ripped it out completely and replaced it with the Astromechs? More specifically the astromech brains. Maybe use a single droid brain as the ship's main computer/A.L and the others to assist in rapid jump calculations.

Maneuverability: On this i respectfully disagree, but I'm willing to knock off the +2 pips.

Speed: The stats I got from D6Holocron on the blastboat show a speed of 8, and the Deathraven stats showed a +2 speed increase using both B-Wing engines. So that's where I got the speed of 10, however I dropped the Atmosphere speed because I figure this ship isn't designed for atmosphere fighting.

If the base speed I got from the D6Holocron is wrong I'm willing to downgrade it but I wanted it fast enough to compete against players in modern X-Wings.

The Hull I based on the idea that there have been armor improvements since the blastboats and B-Wings were originally designed. I'm figuring the era these ships will be used in is around "The Force Awakens". So roughly 30 years after the fall of the Empire.

Shields: Yeah I replaced the shields with the ones from a Gamma Assault shuttle to give the ship a chance to survive long enough to run the hell away from any billy badarse capital ship they might stumble across when engaging in covert piracy/privateering. I figured if the cargo capacity posted on the D6Holocron was right I could fit the assault shuttles shields onto the skipray frame.

Weapons: The only weapons I'm willing to change are the ones mounted on the hull of the blastboat frame. Except for the turret. I would prefer keeping the capital scale ion cannon and tractor beam because the ships primary purpose is disabling and capturing ships so a larger vessel(s) can come along and either remove cargo or imprison crew/passengers and put a prize crew on the captured vessel.

But I'm open to considering any suggestions on changing around those weapons.

Edit: Damn I said "yeah" a lot in this post didn't I? Laughing
thedemonapostle
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the cargo hold on skiprays is less cargo hold and more of an open area behind the cockpit and in front of the rear maintenance section. as seen in the picture:

the picture also tells you the original width of the skipray: 14.3 meters. and with how youre adding the b-wings to it, it looks like youd pretty much be doubling the width.

keep the original hyperdrive from the blastboat. its set up for it rather than each of the others which would just tear the ship apart. also the size difference between a x2 and a x1 hyperdrive is 3 tons of additional cargo space.

a nav computer is a dedicated navigational computer, the astrogation droid brains are basically smaller add-on computers that aid in navigational calculations.

maneuverability: depending on how technical you want to get here, one could argue that the shearing stresses on a structure attached to a vessel thats accustomed to moving capital scale weight that the added structures would not survive actual combat maneuvering, or something to that effect. but to keep it simple dont go above 1D. makes it too maneuverable

speed: the added ion drives from the b-wings are accustomed to moving the comparatively light weight b-wing. when used to move the significantly larger and heavier skipray, theyre more likely to blow out than actually aid in momentum. if anything if the b-wings drive systems were removed from the wing sections and added to the main structure of the ship they probably could be used to perform special maneuvers or quick temporary high powered maneuvering thrusters or at the very least increase the maneuverability.

the numbers for the space speed is right, i put up most of that entry initially and the info can be double checked with the source material.

hull: the hull code isnt just the armor, its how strong the entire ship is, not just its outer skin. to really increase the hull code more than the rules limit of +1D+2 over the base, one would need to start from scratch and use high tech high strength materials, an overpowered example is the Sun Crusher: http://d6holocron.com/wiki/index.php?title=Sun_Crusher. but seeing as how that thing is in the area of death star levels of cost, most steer clear of it.

shields: heres what i tend to do when players take shields systems from other ships and install them on their ships: theres the mishap modifier from installing the foreign ship's shields then since you have modified them too theres the mishap modifiers from that too and all that together adds up pretty nasty like. as it is right now id suggest a +3 to a +4 mishap modifier almost guaranteeing you catastrophic shield failure anytime anyone rolls a 1 when using the shields. which in my mind is FUBAR

there are a lot of weapons, and a lot of redundant weapons too. basically got to ask yourself this, what are the purposes of those weapons? and do you need that many to get the job done? since each person can only operate one system at a time, in order to take full advantage of them you need to either have more gunners or firelink them together. and the rule of firelinking is not the bigger the number linked to same corresponding damage increase but more of a diminishing returns the more that are linked. also, more weapons systems equals more complicated of systems required to make it all work.
Quote:
Weapons: The only weapons I'm willing to change are the ones mounted on the hull of the blastboat frame. Except for the turret. I would prefer keeping the capital scale ion cannon and tractor beam because the ships primary purpose is disabling and capturing ships so a larger vessel(s) can come along and either remove cargo or imprison crew/passengers and put a prize crew on the captured vessel.

by this factor alone you could just keep the base skipray and just upgrade a few systems without all the added b-wing complication.

thedemonapostle
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres a quick write up of what you could have done with the skipray

Name: GAT-12g
Craft: Modified Sienar Fleet Systems GAT-12g Skypray
Type: Defense and patrol blastboat
Scale: starfighter
Length: 25 meters
Skill: Starfighter piloting: skypray blastboat
Crew: 2 (1 can coordinate), gunners: 2, skeleton: 1/+5
Cargo Capacity: 5.485 metric tons
Consumables: 1 month
Hyperdrive: x1
Nav Computer: yes
Maneuverability: 2D (3D in atmosphere) (+1 mishap)
Space: 12
Atmosphere: 450; 1,300kmh
Hull: 8D+1
Shields: 8D
Sensors
Passive: 35/1D
Scan: 60/1D+2
Search: 100/2D
Focus: 3/2D+2
Weapons
2 Turbolaser Cannons (fire-linked)
Fire Arc: turret
Skill: starship gunnery
Atmosphere Range: 100-300/1,200/2,500m
Damage: 8D

3 Heavy Ion Cannons (fire linked)
Fire Arc: front
Space Range: 1-3/7/36
Atmosphere Range: 100-300/700/3,600m
Damage: 5D+2

Proton Torpedo Launcher
Space Range: 1/3/7
Atmosphere Range: 50-100/300/700m
Ammo: 12 torpedoes (800 Replacement torpedo)

Tractor Beam Projector
Space Range: 1-3/8/12
Atmosphere Range: 100-300/800/1,200m

Equipped Systems:
Starscream-9 Ion Drive
X1 hyperdrive
Full nav computer
2 Incom W-34t Turbolasers
3 Comar f-9 Heavy Ion Cannons
Downscaled from capital to starfighter scale and adjusted the hull and shields codes to match.
Modified the maneuvering systems slightly.
(some upgraded items consumed extra tons and needed to be converted to metric tons)

ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta admit you've convinced me my design was flawed, but I had a lot of fun putting it together and learning my mistakes. Again thanks for the honest feedback
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, the design was cool, and if the stats work in your game (and is okayed by your GM) then by all means launch your Skipmonster and ignore us all. It isn't any of our games, and you're the boss of you.

I think that the in-game idea that some outlaw tech might be proud of their monstrosity, laboriously cobbled together is way cool. "Nah, you just keep your U-wing and your E-wing and your clawcraft - ol' Skipmonster and I have been through plenty of tough spots together."

I just didn't agree with the stats - mostly because Uglies are described as being - shall we say, less than 'optimal'?

Personally, I think the mental image of a first iteration of something like that starfighter that just sort of disintegrates and the pilot bailing out while saying something like, "dammit, but next time..." and then promptly starting to put a new fighter together with various bits and pieces is hilarious.

For some reason, your design reminds me of the Sorosuub Preybird - it's probably the fore section - the Skipray bit - that makes me think that.
ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn wrote:
Hey, the design was cool, and if the stats work in your game (and is okayed by your GM) then by all means launch your Skipmonster and ignore us all. It isn't any of our games, and you're the boss of you.

I think that the in-game idea that some outlaw tech might be proud of their monstrosity, laboriously cobbled together is way cool. "Nah, you just keep your U-wing and your E-wing and your clawcraft - ol' Skipmonster and I have been through plenty of tough spots together."

I just didn't agree with the stats - mostly because Uglies are described as being - shall we say, less than 'optimal'?

Personally, I think the mental image of a first iteration of something like that starfighter that just sort of disintegrates and the pilot bailing out while saying something like, "dammit, but next time..." and then promptly starting to put a new fighter together with various bits and pieces is hilarious.

For some reason, your design reminds me of the Sorosuub Preybird - it's probably the fore section - the Skipray bit - that makes me think that.

I'm glad to hear you liked the visual design.

The ship is/was intended to be a plot hook. Conflicting sightings have accusations being made about both Imperial and Republic shenanigans behind the attacks. However the truth is that a third party government secretly designed and built the ships and was using the ships to destabilize their neighbors trade routes.

I'm also toying with another plot twist that someone in that shadow organization is setting up his own little army/navy maybe to overthrow his own government or set up his own crime syndicate.

So I may still use the ship after toning it down. I don't have a complete set of the D6 star wars books so I was basically eyeballing the design and guesstimating what would work from other ship examples like the deathraven.

I had tried to use an online d6 ship generator (d6.ironsind.com) but it doesn't work for me. I can't get past step one. I enter the ship length and I get a message saying I can't continue until I enter a ship length. I know it used to work.
thedemonapostle
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lots of star wars related books here for free download, including but no limited to: rancor pit collections, google+ collection, fan creations and many more!

http://www.d6holocron.com/

Quote:
I had tried to use an online d6 ship generator

under the tools is a ship generator that does work. i use it a lot. its less ask 20 questions and more you just put in stats and see what works.

heres the link if ya want to check it out:

http://d6holocron.com/shipgen/shipgen.htm

another idea would be to keep the capital scale ion cannons from the skipray and just swap out the wings for the b-wings and remove one of the b-wings ion cannons on each wing and mount the original capital scale ion cannons on the b-wings in place of the starfighter scale one. thus keeping the full damage from the capital scale ion cannons and then firelinking the remaining 4, rather than 6, starfighter scale ion cannons.

sorry im in less fix it mode and more creative mode. i have to stop now or i will write up the entire thing giving as much technical explanation about how and why everything works the way it does and provide an in depth history as well. hope the links help ya...

Last edited by thedemonapostle on Thu May 19, 2016 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thedemonapostle wrote:
lots of star wars related books here for free download, including but no limited to: rancor pit collections, google+ collection, fan creations and many more!

http://www.d6holocron.com/

Quote:
I had tried to use an online d6 ship generator

under the tools is a ship generator that does work. i use it a lot. its less ask 20 questions and more you just put in stats and see what works.

heres the link if ya want to check it out:

http://d6holocron.com/shipgen/shipgen.htm

another idea would be to keep the capital scale ion cannons from the skipray and just swap out the wings for the b-wings and remove one of the b-wings ion cannons on each wing and mount the original capital scale ion cannons on the b-wings in place of the starfighter scale one. thus keeping the full damage from the capital scale ion cannons and then firelinking the remaining 4, rather than 6, starfighter scale ion cannons.

sorry im in less fix it mode and more creative mode. i have to stop now or i will write up the entire thing giving as much technical explanation about how and why everything works the way it does and provide an in depth history as well. hope the links help ya...

Oh wow, thanks for those links. They'll be a big help.

I was browsing the HALO crossover stuff on the D6Holocron and noticed your name there, and if it's not an imposition what do you think the stats and costs would be for a generic "Lopez" droid and a generic A.I.? I'm afraid I'd go overboard on the stats and price it way too low.

If it is an imposition I'll just use the stats for one of the infantry droids and use a picture of a suit of Mjolnir armor for it's appearance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: