The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Light-Bridge Tech
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Light-Bridge Tech Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:39 pm    Post subject: Light-Bridge Tech Reply with quote

Light Bridges were originally featured in one of the Clone Wars cartoon episodes. In effect, it was a solid-state energy bridge that could be walked on exactly as if it were a solid surface, so long as there was continuous power supply. There has been some speculation since that the missing bridge on the Death Star (the gap that Luke and Leia had to swing across) was also a light bridge, rather than a retractable physical bridge.

When we think energy in the SWU, we mostly think of it in destructive terms, like the energy fields found in lightsabers, or blaster bolts. The concept of an energy field which can resist physical pressure while not simultaneously inflicting damage on contact is something new and intriguing. Lots of possibilities come to mind:
    Open-cockpit airspeeders could actually have light-canopies: energy shield barriers that create a virtual enclosed cockpit.

The workplace safety nightmare rail-less walkways on the Death Star and other Imperial installations could be bordered by light-barriers.

Light-barrier tech could incorporate a holographic component to vary the degree of light permeability, so that a wall composed on energy could appear transparent, opaque or of varying degrees of transparency at need. It could also be multi-colored, or even include imagery.
These are just some shots in the dark to get people thinking. I'd like to hear some more ideas on this, such as the technological limitations, damage/Strength rating, and other potential applications. Obviously, really complex structures would be beyond the reach of standard uses, but IIRC, there was a race somewhere in the Rifts RPG that flew ships whose outer hull was entirely energy, with only an internal frame for crew and pilots...

Thoughts?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC in one of the Zahn novels, wasn't there a bridge made of energy over a gathering area??
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
IIRC in one of the Zahn novels, wasn't there a bridge made of energy over a gathering area??

There was a scene on a bridge in Specter of the Past, but that was a regular, solid-matter bridge.

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a portable furniture generator that can be used to set up a work station in the field. Or something like temporary shelters that can be carried in a pocket or pouch.

In a similar theme to a bridge, what about a raft for crossing bodies of water?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
What about a portable furniture generator that can be used to set up a work station in the field. Or something like temporary shelters that can be carried in a pocket or pouch.

Those both seem awfully mundane for such high tech. If it were available for those sorts of uses, I would think we'd see a lot more of it. So far, in universe use of this tech seems limited to simple, two-dimensional fields with solid field generators at either end. A more complex three-dimensional shape like furniture seems a bit too high tech for the common SWU.

On top of that, we also have to consider what it might feel like to actually touch this field. Just because you can walk on it doesn't mean that being in physical contact with it is a pleasant experience. What if it is overly warm to the touch, or generates a slight static charge on contact?

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point. IIrc those energy beam shields in the Phantom menace did have a static charge to them, looking at how the LS of Maul sparked when it contacted it..
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Light-Bridge Tech Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Thoughts?

I can see this as application of shield technology, but I don't think it would be use for mundane things such as furniture. An emergency bridge, maybe, but it would probably take a lot of energy to maintain so it would not be efficient to uphold for a long time.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The films would suggest otherwise. In four of the six films, docking bays use energy shields to contain the air, and do not appear to need them closed even during the heat of battle (the Invisible Hand during the Battle of Coruscant). It'seven possible that the field strength can be varied as needed, being turned down to levels that keep atmosphere contained at normal pressure while allowing solid objects to pass through, or turned up to levels that rival the ship's Hull in durability (recall in ROTS that Obi-Wan was concerned about the Invisible Hand's bay shields still being up as his fighter was approaching it, and Anakin had to take out the shield generator so they could enter the bay).

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the ideas I presented were more for emergency/survival scenarios (like an easy up, or for a surface for gutting fish or layint a map, for example), not meant for long term/luxury use.

But, if we are looking for other uses than walls or bridge, I got nothing else for now.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus, that submersible the Gungans gave to Obi Wan and Qui Gon had energy shields that kept the water out and the air in. That field there would need to be capable of resisting atmospheres of pressure...not just one atmosphere, mind you, but however many atmospheres are added on, the deeper you go, that shield STILL HOLDS. It is, therefore, capable of withstanding a great deal of pressure.

While it might not be pleasant to touch (or may give no adverse sensations at all), such a shield will handle vehicular traffic with no problems.

Provided, of course, there is no interruption in the power source. It would require many, MANY redundant backup power sources, as it would truly suck to have a company of soldiers, or a group of hovertanks, to fall through a failing lightbridge...
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great visual for a game, though...

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Well the ideas I presented were more for emergency/survival scenarios (like an easy up, or for a surface for gutting fish or layingf a map, for example), not meant for long term/luxury use.

But, if we are looking for other uses than walls or bridge, I got nothing else for now.

IMO, a high-tech solution that simply requires a flat surface would be a repulsor-table or repulsor-stool, basically a table or chair with a built in tractor/pressor field that locks onto the ground and keeps the surface suspended a set height above ground. Repulsor-tech seems a lot more common in the SWU than light-barrier tech.

Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, when I first saw this thread, I was thinking more along the lines of ray shielding being applicable here; without having studied ray shields, I'm simply spouting ideas. However, it seemed like that might be a way to do the visuals...perhaps even ray shielding mixed with repulsorlift technology...
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Well the ideas I presented were more for emergency/survival scenarios (like an easy up, or for a surface for gutting fish or layint a map, for example), not meant for long term/luxury use.

What of flood control, or wave routing..?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
What of flood control, or wave routing..?

That's plausible, especially with what Skyler pointed out about the Gungan shields holding out water pressure at extreme depths.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: