The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Some Thoughts on Blaster Weapons
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Some Thoughts on Blaster Weapons Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Z-6 Rotary Blaster Cannon Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Would you consider allowing a character with, say, 5D or perhaps 6D in lifting ignore the encumbrance penalty all together?

I'd probably be more inclined to include the Fluency/Muscle-Memory rule I came up with for the Bowcaster, so that exceptionally strong characters who consistently make successful rolls can ignore it after a term of familiarization. So, if the character makes 10 successful free Moderate Strength/Lifting rolls, they're considered "fluent" (or familiar) with their weapon and no longer have to make the roll.

Quote:
Another idea that comes to mind is hooking this up to a power suit to bypass the penalty.

That works, too, but I'd be inclined to go with allowing the suit wearer to add any Strength enhancement to the above mentioned roll, and can then become Familiarized with the weapon, so long as they were wearing the Power Armor.

Another option would be mounting said weapon on an Aliens-Style Gun Harness, where even the most basic version alleviates the issue by transferring the weight of the gun off the shooter's arms and onto their core, leaving the armor muscles free for the fine motor control needed for aiming and firing.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Giving this a bump because I thought of an alternate take on selective-fire blasters. There's a line in Splinter of the Mind's Eye where Leia comments on some of the technical aspects of an E-11 Blaster Rifle, specifically that it was capable of "continuous fire on low-power only." We already know that blaster rifles can be dialed down to Stun, so it would make sense if there were other, intermediate power steps.

I'm not quite sure how I want to include this, but what springs immediately to mind is, since Leia specified 'continuous', there could potentially be a low-power mode that transfers 1D of Damage to the Auto-Fire rating. For example, if a Blaster Rifle does 5D Damage and has a 1D Auto-Fire rating, it could shift to low-power mode where it does 4D Damage with a 2D Auto-Fire rating.

It's been a while, but I'm leaning more and more in the direction of changing up my Blaster stats to reflect this. The more I thought about it, the more I realized that we almost never see personal blasters (up to Blaster Rifle) ever firing in full-auto, only semi-auto.

My current thinking is that, as described above, characters are effectively allowed to shift 1D of Damage over to Fire Control by switching over to a lower-power, rapid-fire mode, but when facing armored opponents (like stormtroopers), most shooters prefer to stay in the more powerful semi-auto mode for better armor penetration.

Most of the listed weapons with Auto-Fire dice in their stats will be affected by this, with the firing chambers having a mix of different peak outputs and cycle rates, so as to explain why some weapons (mostly the official repeater types like riot blasters or the light, medium and heavy repeating blasters) will have high fire rates but lower peak damage, and vice versa for others like the light laser cannon.

Any thoughts or comments before I start making changes?

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mind making a new post for your updates and leaving the old one there, so both versions will be available?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:25 am; edited 2 times in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Do you mind making a new post for your updates and leaving the old one there, so both versions will be available?

Sure. The only real changes will be to the Riot Blaster Pistol and the Combat Blaster Rifles & Carbines section. Everything else is staying the same.

Whill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=159497#159497

I've already implemented some of these weapons as of your last revision. Making a new post for your updates would require updating your link on your master index. If not and you just want to update the original post, it's ok. I backed it up it as it appears now for reference in case I want to keep using a weapon as-is.

CRMcNeill wrote:
The only real changes will be to the Riot Blaster Pistol and the Combat Blaster Rifles & Carbines section. Everything else is staying the same.

Oh OK.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, what I'm thinking in broad terms is the following weapons (based on the format in the OP:
    Riot Blaster Pistol - Starts with a basic Damage of 5D with 1D of Auto-Fire, or may switch to low power/fast cycle mode which inflicts 4D Damage @ 2D* Auto-Fire. For visuals, think the Death Trooper Blaster Pistol from Rogue One, as well as the nearly identical SE-14C Blaster Pistol, which is specifically designated as a repeater (5-round burst per shot). Basically, it's an overbuilt heavy blaster pistol that can auto-fire.

Blaster Rifle / Carbine - The only change will be to the Fire Rate; they can fire either at 5D Damage, or at 4D Damage w/ 1D Auto-Fire.

Heavy Blaster Rifle / Carbine - As above, but with base Damage of 6D, or 5D w/ 1D Auto-Fire.

Riot Blaster - Effectively a Heavy Blaster Rifle with a third setting, so that it can fire 6D, 5D w/ 1D Auto-Fire, or 4D w/ 2D* Auto-Fire.

Riot Carbine - (assuming I include it) - A full-auto variant of the basic Blaster Carbine, adding a 3D Damage @ 2D* Auto-Fire setting.
The idea here is for blaster firing chambers to have a mix of limitations based on peak damage and cycle rate (range would be a factor of peak damage and barrel length: longer barrel = more galven circuits to increase beam coherency at greater ranges).

Thoughts?

Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are very nice rules.

I was wondering how they can be applied to breaching walls, destroying obstacles, ect.? When there's no disperse and you hit with all shots like in this scene?
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if you're looking for technical "reasoning" but here's a consideration:

Are you thinking that the "cycle rate" (whatever that means for a blaster weapon) is capable of faster fire than the standard setting and that this option simply chooses to take advantage of that at the expense of "bolt quality"? (for example, by reducing the photo-chemical reaction time by 0.02 seconds, the resulting blaster bolt is weaker, but since it left the system sooner, the next one can be started sooner, etc.).

In any case, have you considered reducing the maximum range as well? Seems like it would "make sense" that the weaker bolt also runs out of steam over a shorter distance.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:
These are very nice rules.

I was wondering how they can be applied to breaching walls, destroying obstacles, ect.? When there's no disperse and you hit with all shots like in this scene?

That's factored into my Auto-Fire Rules. At Point-Blank Range, a character can apply all of his Auto-Fire Dice to Damage, with the amount of dice he can apply to Damage dropping off as range increases (-1D at Short, -2D at Medium, etc)

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Are you thinking that the "cycle rate" (whatever that means for a blaster weapon) is capable of faster fire than the standard setting and that this option simply chooses to take advantage of that at the expense of "bolt quality"? (for example, by reducing the photo-chemical reaction time by 0.02 seconds, the resulting blaster bolt is weaker, but since it left the system sooner, the next one can be started sooner, etc.).

Pretty much this. The idea is that the firing chamber requires a certain amount of "reset" time, and that if the power is reduced below whatever the chamber's maximum output is, the reset time is greatly reduced, whether through reduced cooling time, reduced blaster gas consumption, etc.

Ammo consumption is still a factor (and would be the main limitation for something like the Heavy Blaster Rifle, which this rule essentially puts a Battle Rifle and an Assault Rifle in the same platform).

The whole thing stems from a quote from Splinter of the Mind's Eye, where Leia is thinking out loud about the technical capabilities of stormtrooper rifles, and says that they're only capable of burst fire at low power. This combined with the fact that we almost never see actual auto-fire from personal blasters had me wondering how realistic my original concept actually was in-universe. This way, blasters are still capable of auto-fire, but have to accept the trade-off in damage-per-shot, so that auto-fire is better used to increase accuracy against harder-to-hit targets, while full-power blasts are best used against tougher, armored opponents (like stormtroopers).

Quote:
In any case, have you considered reducing the maximum range as well? Seems like it would "make sense" that the weaker bolt also runs out of steam over a shorter distance.

I'm not sure I want to get that crunchy with this. I'd probably justify it by saying that the galven circuits in the barrel still operate at full power, and thus enhance a lower-power beam even further, allowing it to maintain similar performance at range when compared to high-power shots.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An evolution of what I've discussed in the past here...

In broad terms, I'm thinking most blasters would have three settings: Standard, High and Low Power, with effects as follows:
    Standard - Uses listed damage, with no RoF restrictions. Characters can get off as many shots as their skill level v. MAPs permit.

High - More intense shot consumes more ammo, but requires a cool-down period before the weapon can be fired again. +1D to Damage, RoF: 1, consumes 2 rounds of ammo per shot.

Low - Less intense shot allows weapon to fire a short burst. -1D to Damage, RoF: 1D Auto-Fire, consumes 2 rounds of ammo per shot.
Been chewing on this for a while, and decided to go ahead and post it.

Whill

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then four settings with stun, right?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless low power, IS their stun setting!
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Then four settings with stun, right?

I was thinking more like Stun is a different Mode, with access to the same three power settings.

Whill

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotcha
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: