The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

when players get too creative...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> when players get too creative... Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: when players get too creative... Reply with quote

[quote="Krystoffer"A player with more experience/knowledge could easily spot this. Even though things are bound to work differently in the SW universe, corporations can still not be at cross-purposes with themselves.

I mention this just as an example. You probably know the situations I am speaking of, the subject matter could be anything.[/quote]

Welcome to the wonderful world of RPG refereeing! This is a constant problem, no matter what game you run. Player "inventiveness" is what you should welcome.. it makes games far more enjoyable IMO when you have better players.

Assuming you surround yourself with good gamers ("good" here meaning of a playful spirit as opposed to skilled), this will never happen. You can see a couple of guys here in fact showing you the sort of player you want. It's one thing for someone to point out that you have some detail wrong, and quite another to end up squabbling with a know-it-all who cannot get over himself long enough to play a game. This isn't a problem I've had in real life but you certainly see it all over internet boards (not so much here).

Now, you should always do some research when you need to for particular things that might be relevant in a session, but once you've done that you have to remember that you are running a game and not teaching a graduate seminar in astronomy or economics.

And always remember that as long as you have a fictional setting... just how much is player X possibly going to know about SoroSuub (which is, you know, fictional) and whether it follows GAAP and uses cash or accrual based accounting? And what of that "knowledge" is going to be relevant in YOUR game in YOUR universe? As much or as little as you want. Sometimes (usually, IMO) that player "inventiveness" as you call it fills in blank spots in your setting in ways you hadn't imagined. Call a fair game and play with good gamers, and you needn't worry about this.

Oh, and garkh... I bet those "secret plans" were a flop! I would make them go away probably rather than leave the table myself but maybe that is a faux pas at a con.
Krystoffer
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the responses! They have been very helpful
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: when players get too creative... Reply with quote

Barrataria wrote:

Oh, and garkh... I bet those "secret plans" were a flop! I would make them go away probably rather than leave the table myself but maybe that is a faux pas at a con.

Actually i said "fine, i will go take a smoke break, and come back.." They went with it, and when i got back, i asked the 'team leader' to roll his tactics SKILL!.. When he mentioned he didn't even have the skill, i asked who did, and only ONE player raised his hand.
Told him, well guess everyone needs to roll their base Knowledge attribute, to see how MUCH of that plan of yours you could have actually come up with.. THEN we will go from there.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal, you're my favorite evil GM. I really mean that.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: when players get too creative... Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Barrataria wrote:

Actually i said "fine, i will go take a smoke break, and come back.." They went with it, and when i got back, i asked the 'team leader' to roll his tactics SKILL!.. When he mentioned he didn't even have the skill, i asked who did, and only ONE player raised his hand.
Told him, well guess everyone needs to roll their base Knowledge attribute, to see how MUCH of that plan of yours you could have actually come up with.. THEN we will go from there.

Shocked ... Surprised ..... Laughing

I like that !!!!!

Forgive all spelling errors.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
garhkal, you're my favorite evil GM. I really mean that.

Much obliged Whill..

lurker wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Barrataria wrote:

Shocked ... Surprised ..... Laughing

I like that !!!!!

Thanks.. Just cause YOU may be able to come up with a great plan, does not mean your character can (That's why the Tactics skill exists!)
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's both a great story and good illustration of how the game is supposed to work. Razz
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks B.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: