The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Music in Star Wars
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Music in Star Wars Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: John Williams and John Powell nominated at 61st Grammy Award Reply with quote

https://www.fanthatracks.com/news/film-music-tv/john-williams-and-john-powell-nominated-at-61st-grammy-awards/

Quote:
Best Score Soundtrack For Visual Media
Award to Composer(s) for an original score created specifically for, or as a companion to, a current legitimate motion picture, television show or series, video games or other visual media.
STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI
John Williams, composer

Best Instrumental Composition
A Composer’s Award for an original composition (not an adaptation) first released during the Eligibility Year. Singles or Tracks only.
MINE MISSION
John Powell & John Williams, composers
(Solo: A Star Wars Story – Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)

Award shows are batha sh!t, but I thought I would share anyway. The only Star Wars albums to ever win awards are the original Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, and The Force Awakens. I suppose there is a remote chance The Last Jedi could win but I wouldn't bet on it.

The Solo track definitely won't win, but is amazing that it even got nominated. Credit for it really goes to John Powell, the Solo score composer. John Williams is included because the track includes a bit of Han's theme written by Williams. Below is the track if you want to listen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PASIooN61Xo
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
WillTasker
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
Republic Commando's soundtrack is very cool. The songs are sung in Mandalorian, and the soundtrack comes with lyrics and their translations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiNyQD5Yq3E

I'm (facebook) friends with Jesse. He sent me some photos of the recording of the RC score ages ago...

https://imgur.com/a/HSq27ko
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: John Williams & John Powell nominated 61st Grammy Aw Reply with quote

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/the-complete-list-of-grammy-winners/2019/02/10/3fd97c80-2b29-11e9-b2fc-721718903bfc_story.html

I didn't watch but the Grammy Awards were tonight. The Last Jedi lost out to the Black Panther score, which I see is on Amazon Prime so I'm going to give that a listen. The Solo song lost to Lady Gaga (I don't know what movie).

Young Lando won three Grammies and didn't even attend the show. He's too cool for the Grammies.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Powell receives IFMCA Awards for Solo: A Star Wars Story

The Solo: A Star Wars Story score won two International Film Music Critics Association Awards: Score of the Year & Best Original Score for a Fantasy/Science Fiction/Horror Film. It's nice for the composer to be appreciated for his Star Wars work.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We saw ANH in concert on Saturday in Houston. It was outstanding. Seeing the film on the big screen while a live orchestra played the score gave me new appreciation for this life-changing film. Never realized there was so much harp! When they played the 20th Century Fox intro, I teared up. The only music the orchestra didn't play were the two cantina songs but that was by design.

It's a travelling series covering Episodes IV-VII so look at the symphony schedules in your area. It's well worth your time to see our beloved first film in a new way.
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
We saw ANH in concert on Saturday in Houston. It was outstanding. Seeing the film on the big screen while a live orchestra played the score gave me new appreciation for this life-changing film. Never realized there was so much harp! When they played the 20th Century Fox intro, I teared up. The only music the orchestra didn't play were the two cantina songs but that was by design.

It's a travelling series covering Episodes IV-VII so look at the symphony schedules in your area. It's well worth your time to see our beloved first film in a new way.

That means that the orchestra wasn't playing during Greedo (Cantina Band #2). Smile

I'm so happy for you to have a new wonderful experience with ANH. I felt the same way, which is absolutely amazing considering that I've seen the movie well over 100 times. I checked and none of the others films are scheduled for me locally. I'd love to take my son to see TESB and RotJ too, should they come around.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major score at Half Price Books. They had a Star Wars themed turn table (same picture as the 1st edition rule book) and a original 1977 Original Soundtrack (the records are only a few months younger then me) and sounds great. They do skip in a few spots (I grone when I stand up). But still sound great.
Whill

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

griff wrote:
Major score at Half Price Books. They had a Star Wars themed turn table (same picture as the 1st edition rule book) and a original 1977 Original Soundtrack (the records are only a few months younger then me) and sounds great. They do skip in a few spots (I grone when I stand up). But still sound great.

Score! Please share a pic of the Star Wars player! I'd love to see it.

My original SW soundtrack album has a few skips too, but in the 90s my college sweetheart's mom found it at a yard sale for 25 cents and bought it for me. Talk about a score! (See what I did there?)
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I can only access this sight from my phone (I don't have a real computer) and I don't know how to or if it is possible to put pics from my phone onto the reply screen. Crosley is the brand name. I sure they have pics at their web site.
Whill

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This?

Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's it.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:09 pm    Post subject: TRoS Reply with quote

An update on the recording of Star Wars IX: The Rise of Skywalker from a musician on the score who is also the brother of John Williams

So the film supposedly has 135 minutes of music in it. He says "every" Star Wars theme you've ever heard is going to be in the film's score, but I think that is hyperbole. I doubt Jar Jar's theme is going to show up anywhere (but it could be funny if it did).

I also disagree that it is William's "usual style" to hide themes. He certainly has done that before. For example, the victory theme from the end of RotJ is hidden in Anakin's pod race victory scene. But this has not been done to the point of that being usual.

Of course it certainly is possible that there is conscious effort being made for this film to somehow incorporate every theme somewhere, some being very subtle. But it really would defeat the purpose of leitmotif to have irrelevant themes to what's happening in the story. You can't just have a random statement of the Lando's Palace, Boba Fett, Ewoks, Jabba The Hutt, or the Kamino motif somewhere where it doesn't make sense. Well, you at least can't do that a lot.

I'm really excited for the possibility of hearing The Prequel Action Theme, Duel of the Fates, the Funeral Theme, and Battle of the Heroes in the final Star Wars episode score. Especially Duel of the Fates, my favorite Star Wars theme.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:02 am    Post subject: new John Williams Star Wars music Reply with quote

https://www.amazon.com/Anne-Sophie-Recording-Orchestra-Angeles-Williams/dp/B07SM9GCH6

John Williams released a new album with new violin-centered arrangements of his movie themes, including four Star Wars themes. I didn't want the whole album, so just bought those four SW tracks and the one from his Dracula (1979) score, because I only have that soundtrack on vinyl. They are nice.

After downloading those, Amazon showed me that Williams made a theme for the "Galaxy's Edge" amusement park. I bought that too. It's alright.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R564GW7/
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:39 pm    Post subject: The Mandalorian Score Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDisKgcnAC4Q2BAuwB1Eub1iDQo0LTZ2X

A playlist of music from The Mandalorian. Good stuff.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hope a full album comes out. I am kind of a completionist about my Star Wars Scores.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: