The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Force Awakens (original spoilers thread)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> The Force Awakens (original spoilers thread) Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who have seen it in both 2d and 3d, which do you recommend?
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2D
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2D for me. I find 3D distracting in most films. That said I am going to see an IMAX too. But I'm very glad my first time through was in 2D.

Also, I saw multiple people on DF or rpg.net complaining about color deficiencies in 3D. I've not noticed that, but it confirmed my suspicions.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw it in 2d. I don't think 3d is warranted.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My three viewings of TFA have all been 2D. I used to drink the 3D koolaid, but after I saw TPM in 3D I came to realize that 3D is just a gimmick. Based on apparent depth perception, our mind already converts the images to 3D to an extent. When I watched TPM 3D, I noticed the "3D effect" at first, but after a while I forgot I was even watching 3D. When the movie was over, I only had memory of the "3D effect" for the beginning of the film when I was paying attention to it. So in the end, it was cool to watch Star Wars in the theater again but the 3D did pretty much nothing for me. Watching movies in 3D is too much work for my brain to 'stay in 3D mode', so paying extra for 3D is just not worth it.

That being said, I want to have every experience possible of TFA so my next viewing will be IMAX 3D to kill those two mynocks with one blast. But for your first viewing, I concur with the fine gentlemen here who have said to not bother with 3D.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was the first movie I have seen in 3D and found it very hard to watch especially when there was any kind of movement that was in the background. The only scene that the 3D was effective was with the static shot of the First Order star destroyer.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barrataria wrote:
Whill wrote:
Did Luke even know about the attachment restrictions of the old Jedi order?

He certainly got lectures about it, although not necessarily the Jesuit rule-of-Ignatius version.

Whill wrote:
If he did, did he agree?

I wasn't aware they were supposed to pick and choose

I disagree that Luke certainly got lectures about it offscreen. The Jedi Order of old was destroyed. There were only two known Jedi Masters even alive (then only one), and perhaps a handful of knights and former padawans scattered throughout the galaxy in hiding. And the Jedi Order of old was partially responsible for its own demise. Luke had an extremely brief and unorthodox Jedi training, and I see no indication that he certainly would have gotten lectures (plural), a single lecture, or necessarily even a quick Yodaism about it.

And yes, it was certainly Luke's choice. When Yoda died, he had believed that Luke was "the last of the Jedi". Yoda tasked Luke to pass on what he had learned. It was Luke's job to make a new Jedi order. And this lone Jedi Master by default got the job by being unwilling to kill his father, and his father being unwilling to let his son die. Luke's experience with familial attachment is very different than the old Jedi order's tenants against attachment would have it. Obi-Wan and Yoda hid the truth from Luke because they feared he wouldn't be able to destroy the Sith with the knowledge of Vader being his father, and in the end it is what saved him and his father both from evil and destroyed the Sith.

And if Luke sooner or later found out about the strictures of the previous Jedi order, it was still most certainly be his choice to incorporate them into his new Jedi order, for better or worse.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I offer the following from the Star Wars Insider article Fightsaber:
Quote:
Yoda's Legacy

As they teach in the Temple, fighting styles are philosophical styles, and all battles are really battles of spirit. It is therefore interesting to observe that it is most of all Yoda's distinctive approach to the Force that determines not only his fighting style but much of the struggle that we see between the Jedi and the Sith. Yoda teaches open-mindedness far more than other Jedi Masters, and this leads to both great and terrible things in his disciples. In identifying what has happened to the "missing" planet Kamino, Yoda's young students are able to imagine a corruption of data in the Jedi Archive that the Archive's own director could not, because they think for themselves.

But Yoda's other students - and their successors - pursue independence to other effects: Count Dooku leaves the Jedi Order and falls to the Dark Side, while Dooku's apprentice Qui-Gon Jinn repeatedly defies the Jedi Council and insists on training the dangerous Anakin Skywalker, to the ruination of the galaxy. Luke Skywalker, paradoxically, absorbs enough of Yoda's philosophy during his brief apprenticeship on Dagobah that Skywalker then defies Yoda's counsel and goes to Bespin to battle Darth Vader. In the end, Yoda's legacy is the greatest triump of the Force. It is only Yoda's unique focus on open-mindedness that helps Luke Skywalker to see that his own mentors are wrong. He instead trusts his own belief that the only way to defeat Darth Vader is through the very opposite of dun moch. To conquer Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker creates a new kind of victory. Through a resolute validation of his opponent's spirit, a faith that overcomes all obstacles, Luke finally redeems Anakin Skywalker and brings balance to the Force.

Personally, I think there was another side, in that, after spending twenty years on Dagobah contemplating the Jedi's failure, Yoda actually made a conscious choice to discard much of the Jedi's dogma / doctrine and focus almost exclusively on trusting in the Force. As such, lectures about attachment went right out the window, along with a lot of other things. If he had decided to keep them, he would've brought it up when trying to convince Luke not to go to Bespin. Instead, he simply says:
Quote:
Decide, you must, how to help them best. If you leave now, help them you could, but... you would destroy all for which they have fought and suffered.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

griff wrote:
This was the first movie I have seen in 3D and found it very hard to watch especially when there was any kind of movement that was in the background. The only scene that the 3D was effective was with the static shot of the First Order star destroyer.

The only movie I have ever seen in 3D was TRON: Legacy, and I was underwhelmed. The thing I disliked most was how the film-makers used 3D to focus attention on certain things at the expense of others. This happens more naturally in 2D films for me, but in a 3D film, I would find myself staring at one thing which would suddenly drop out of focus, forcing my vision to look somewhere else. It was annoying and unsettling. So now I avoid 3D if at all possible.

And since I'm finally throwing my hat in the ring, I have to say the main thing I took away from TFA is that it is very much the first part of a new trilogy, and less of a stand-alone movie in and of itself. While I enjoyed it for what it was, it left so many things unresolved that it left me somewhat ambivalent. I felt something similar after watching The Fellowship of the Ring, but there I had some idea of what was coming next. With TFA, trying to sum it up feels very much like writing a review for the first ten chapters of a thirty-chapter novel; I won't get the full impact until I get the rest of the story.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Ning Leihrec
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only one who thought this movie sucked?
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ning Leihrec wrote:

Not to question your choice (we all have our preferences). But, why so? What leads you to that level of dislike?

Forgive all spelling errors.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ning Leihrec wrote:

Yes! No, just kidding. You are the second person I personally am aware of who felt that way. The first was a fraternity brother of mine who is not here on this site. But he posted an article on Facebook that bashed the new film while at the same time praising Hayden Christiansen's performance in Star Wars, so I have a hard time taking him seriously now. But of course you're under no obligation to like it, and I am sorry you didn't enjoy it more.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Personally, I think there was another side, in that, after spending twenty years on Dagobah contemplating the Jedi's failure, Yoda actually made a conscious choice to discard much of the Jedi's dogma / doctrine and focus almost exclusively on trusting in the Force. As such, lectures about attachment went right out the window, along with a lot of other things. If he had decided to keep them, he would've brought it up when trying to convince Luke not to go to Bespin.

Thanks. That's what I meant by the old Jedi order's downfall being partially the order's own fault, and by Luke's training being unorthodox and brief. Yoda doesn't necessarily still hold to all the old Jedi strictures, and Yoda didn't have time to give Luke lectures on attachment anyway. But most telling is the fact that Yoda and Obi-Wan didn't take the twins to Dagobah and raise them as Jedi from babies as was the way in the old Jedi order. He decided to instead let them be raised separately with families (growing up with familial attachments), and have them be trained as adults one at a time in hopes that one or the other could defeat the Sith.

crmcneill wrote:
And since I'm finally throwing my hat in the ring, I have to say the main thing I took away from TFA is that it is very much the first part of a new trilogy, and less of a stand-alone movie in and of itself. While I enjoyed it for what it was, it left so many things unresolved that it left me somewhat ambivalent. I felt something similar after watching The Fellowship of the Ring, but there I had some idea of what was coming next. With TFA, trying to sum it up feels very much like writing a review for the first ten chapters of a thirty-chapter novel; I won't get the full impact until I get the rest of the story.

I completely agree that the story isn't over and there's still much to tell. I refused to rank any of the first five movies or even choose a single favorite until after the sixth movie came out, which is still the end of Lucas' Star Wars saga. And then unsurprisingly I choose the original as my favorite. I do see Lucas' saga as one six-part story (at the same time as seeing it as one movie with 5 sequels). A big part of my criteria for ranking episodes is the ability for the film to stand alone, and a big part of that is a good climax.

My least favorite episode has been AotC largely because overall runtime became more important to Lucas than having a fitting climax, so the climax was edited to shreds and we ended up with 3 very brief sequential duels. And in light of Dooku's death at the beginning of he next film, AotC's climax became even weaker due to Dooku not being a very meaningful villain and instead just a functionary of the plot not unlike how Dooku and the Clone Wars were just mechanisms for Palpatine to convert Anakin to the Dark Side and form the Empire. Add that on top of some poor actor performances and an unconvincing love story, AotC is the one that feels to me the most like it is just there to connect A to C.

After three TFA viewings and without seeing the rest of the trilogy, I can definitely say that despite all the unanswered questions, I enjoy TFA more than AotC. TFA has a powerful climax: the Resistance epically destroying the super-weapon even more powerful than the dreaded Death Stars, and the Force awakening within Rey to kick Ren's @$$ in a rocking lightsaber duel. As far as the unanswered questions, this movie is a lot like its spiritual predecessor, ANH. For the original Star Wars, we didn't know much about Luke's background except that his father had been a Jedi. Vader was shrouded in mystery but we knew he had been a former Jedi pupil who betrayed and murdered the Jedi, having been seduced by the Dark Side of the Force. We knew nothing about Palpatine, his rise to power and how he forged the Empire. At the end, the super-weapon had been destroyed but Vader survived and the Empire continued. I think the fact that TFA is a sequel to this bulky franchise may be why a lot of fans may be hung up on all the unanswered questions. Like Master Yoda said, "Clear your mind of questions, sit back and enjoy the ride." (Or something like that.)

As much as I love all the movies (even AotC) and a lot of the entire franchise as a whole, it is very easy for me to disregard it all in my mind and enjoy ANH as a standalone film like it was in my childhood when it was the only Star Wars we had. Maybe TFA's similarities to ANH are why I can enjoy TFA for what it is on its own. The acting is superb, there is almost no hint of romance to be sold on, and the climax rocks. cr, I had a similar reaction to Fellowship of the Ring, but TFA's climax is much more The Two Towers, which I liked a lot more. Maybe this new Star Wars trilogy's story will end up going in a direction I don't care for in the next two sequels, but I feel TFA is good enough on its own to not be hurt as a standalone film by the later revelations of sequels. TFA a high quality action-adventure film.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I disagree that Luke certainly got lectures about it offscreen [...] I see no indication that he certainly would have gotten lectures (plural), a single lecture, or necessarily even a quick Yodaism about it.

Luke: "But Han and Leia will die if I don't."
Ben's Force Ghost" "You don't know that."

Luke: "And sacrifice Han and Leia?"
Yoda: "If you honor what they fight for, yes."

I'm sure there was more offscreen.

Whill wrote:
And this lone Jedi Master by default got the job by being unwilling to kill his father, and his father being unwilling to let his son die.

That doesn't make much sense. He didn't save his father so that he could become a Jedi per se... and he became the last when Yoda died, something over which he had no control.

Anyway, I won't keep derailing this thread about Ep. VII with debates about Ep. V.
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ning Leihrec wrote:

Pretty close, I think the positive reviews on Rotten Tomatoes are 95% or so. And some poor b@st@rd* got trollbombed for posting a negative review.

Anyway, there were certainly things I wasn't thrilled with but I'd be curious to hear why you hated everything. Although I have seen some post that Han's death "ruined" SW for them forever.*

*[just a report; I thought it was a little melodramatic but I didn't think it ruined my childhood or anything]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 3 of 14

Jump to: