The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

What will change in your SWU?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> What will change in your SWU? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject: What will change in your SWU? Reply with quote

SPOILERS POSSIBLE

What (if anything) will change in your Star Wars Universe with the release of the new movie, TFA?

I mean, from what I understand the TFA movie is set some 30 years after ROTJ, so essentially everything released to date for after the Rebellion Era is now considered 'Legends'.

From what I saw and understood, much of the New Republic Era could be seen as part of TFA, but what about the rest? And do you, as a GM, care that much based upon what eras you primarily game in?

Personally, apart from just a few details that have proved interesting, my group are firmly set in the Rebellion Era (with just a few forays into the Clone Wars and Rise of the Emperor era) so are largely unaffected. Unless things change drastically, I don't foresee any concerns......

But what about your groups? What are your thoughts on the shift in the future time line?

T.C.

Last edited by TyCaine on Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had held off on thinking about this because I wanted to give Disney some grace in the hopes that they would hold the EU to a higher standard. Sadly, as I have taken the time to process both TFA and what Disney has kept as canon (the Clone Wars and Rebels), I have come to the conclusion that Disney relegated much of the old EU to the Legends category not so that they could raise the standard of quality but so that they could lower it. The old EU at least made a pretense of operating in a galaxy where things were bound by real world physics, but the new canon has thrown even that out the window. This is no longer Star Wars; it's Disney Wars. I've read fan fiction with a better plot than TFA, and the more I think about it, the more I miss the Legends universe, warts and all. I fully intend to game in the Classic Era for the foreseeable future.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
dhawk
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My works (within and beyond the New Republic/NJO/Legacy era) fall firmly within the Expanded Universe, now known as Legends. The Destiny Era arc that I have been working on is 1,000 years after the Battle of Yavin within Legends, so the TFA plays no part in it. Until more is fleshed out between ROTJ and TFA, I intended to leave it alone.
TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for clarifying that dhawk, I must have misunderstood. Smile And I agree that there may be too little information about the TFA timeline to really decide on some things.

However, I hate to say this, and anyone who knows me also knows something about my current work situation and how much I wanted this movie to rock, but I have to say that after crmcniell's comments, I kind of agree.

Sure, there were some things that stood out, but overall I was......disappointed...

As much of the EU as there is, and as much of it as they could have picked through to put together a movie that would have been truly outstanding, what they did use, completely or inferred, left a lot to be desired.

As I mentioned above, apart from a couple of interesting tidbits, my group are firmly set in the Rebellion Era, sometimes early, sometimes late, and anything else will be from Clone Wars/Rise of the Empire, or from Legends, other than that I feel no desire to touch TFA...

T.C.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: What will change in your SWU? : SPOILERS POSSIBLE Reply with quote

TyCaine wrote:
SPOILERS POSSIBLE

What (if anything) will change in your Star Wars Universe with the release of the new movie, TFA?

I mean, from what I understand the TFA movie is set some 30 years after ROTJ, so essentially everything released to date for after the Rebellion Era is now considered 'Legends'.

From what I saw and understood, much of the New Republic Era could be seen as part of TFA, but what about the rest? And do you, as a GM, care that much based upon what eras you primarily game in?

Personally, apart from just a few details that have proved interesting, my group are firmly set in the Rebellion Era (with just a few forays into the Clone Wars and Rise of the Emperor era) so are largely unaffected. Unless things change drastically, I don't foresee any concerns......

But what about your groups? What are your thoughts on the shift in the future time line?

T.C.

Like you, cause of time frame setting of my games (inc the sparks group), i don't really see anything changing cause of TFA..
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: What will change in your SWU? : SPOILERS POSSIBLE Reply with quote

TyCaine wrote:

From what I saw and understood, much of the New Republic Era could be seen as part of TFA

Although the film itself is very vague on post-RotJ timeline details, Ben Solo was born to Leia and Han less than a year after RotJ. Jaina, Jaycen and Anakin Solo were presumably never born. Of course your SWU should be whatever you want it to be, but I thought you may be interested in this: The post-RotJ canon timeline is now known to be radically different than the EU/Legends timeline.

crmcneill wrote:
The old EU at least made a pretense of operating in a galaxy where things were bound by real world physics, but the new canon has thrown even that out the window.

Happy New Year! To think that the EU or any Star Wars universe is in any way bound by real world physics. Space-fantasy gobbledegook is not physics.

TyCaine wrote:
And do you, as a GM, care that much based upon what eras you primarily game in?

By "future time line" I assume you mean the future of RotJ. My post-RotJ setting seems unfazed by TFA as it never went too far after RotJ. And I don't see any reason why TFA can't be (future) canon in my SWU. I feel my SWU can easily maintain continuity with TFA, but probably not all the published canon works. It would be very easy to adapt WEG Star Wars to the TFA era because it is largely a recreation of the Rebellion and the Empire, but at this point I can't see me setting any campaigns during the TFA era. Why bother with filing the serial numbers off everything and changing it to Resistance and the First Order?

I do not hate the prequels, but I have never been interested in running any prequel-era campaigns. After seeing TFA, I still want to stay focused on the time period from RotS to not too long after RotJ, the Age of the Empire. The WEG game was originally based on the classic trilogy era, and that has always been "home" for this GM.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What will change in your SWU? : SPOILERS POSSIBLE Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Happy New Year!

The last time I based an argument on a person's beverage choices affecting their opinions on the SWU, I got a warning and a lecture on how offensive it was (see the Kool-Aid incident of 2012), so I'd appreciate it if you moderators would adhere to your own rules.

The key word in the statement of mine that you quoted was "pretense". It is a common theme in sci-fi that advanced technology gives the appearance of violating the laws of physics, in the same sense that an airplane appears to violate the laws of physics to a person who has no understanding of Bernoulli's principle or the concepts of lift vs. mass and thrust vs. drag. The basic theme is "because [technobabble], this happens." It is, in essence, a fiction used to explain why the laws of physics are being ignored. However, it is always limited to a localized effect, such as affecting a single vehicle, or starship, or individual or group of individuals. On certain, plot-driven spectacular occasions, it can affect an entire planet, star or solar system (see the super-weapon-of-the-month club).

Now, as I said, I can accept (barely) a planet-sized super-weapon that fires a beam at super-luminal velocities to destroy targets hundreds or thousands of lightyears away. What I can not accept, as it exceeds the limits of my suspension of disbelief by several orders of magnitude, is that this weapon can repeal the speed of light across an entire galaxy and allow hundreds of billions of beings on planets across the galaxy to observe an event happening hundreds or thousands of lightyears away, in real time, just by looking up into the sky.

I am not saying that I thought TFA was perfect except for this, or even that Disney's version of Star Wars was perfect up until TFA, or even that Lucas' version of Star Wars was perfect up until he sold it to Disney. It has been a long, slow trickle of plot holes passed off as canon, overruling other, better ideas simply for the sake of (I assume) not making the writers work too hard. Star Wars is devolving from something that, at worst, treated physics with a wink-and-a-nod approach into something that completely ignores physics all so J.J. Abrams could get the shot that he wanted. This is the straw that broke my particular camel's back. This is the point where I could no longer keep my mouth shut and pretend I liked the direction Star Wars was going. It was not this one, singular issue that did this, but rather, a compounding of fallacy after fallacy, silliness after silliness, and at its heart, a cynical awareness that because the title of the film had "Star Wars" in it, they wouldn't have to put forward too much effort for it to be a financial success.

As such, and as I have already said, for all of the EU's warts, I will be gaming in the Classic Era for the foreseeable future.

D+1
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What will change in your SWU? : SPOILERS POSSIBLE Reply with quote

TyCaine wrote:
Not a thing.
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What will change in your SWU? : SPOILERS POSSIBLE Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
As such, and as I have already said, for all of the EU's warts, I will be gaming in the Classic Era for the foreseeable future.

Me too. But I don't see it as EU vs. Canon. I have issues with both and disregard aspects of both for my own personal SW universe. My acceptance of TFA in my personal canon has absolutely no bearing on my consideration of which era to play in. I simply have no interest in changing from the Dark Times and Rebellion eras.

crmcneill wrote:
The last time I based an argument on a person's beverage choices affecting their opinions on the SWU, I got a warning and a lecture on how offensive it was (see the Kool-Aid incident of 2012), so I'd appreciate it if you moderators would adhere to your own rules.
cheshire wrote:
It's probably time that we take a break from posting in here for about 48 hours. I don't say this in any official capacity, and we know that this forum can operate without official moderators, but we need cool heads to do this. We've gone from visceral posts to actual name calling, and that's not cool.

The "incident" you linked was from January 2012, and this site did not institute the use of moderators until December 2012. I quoted the only thing I could find that you may be referring to, and I don't see it as a warning or lecture. It was an interjection by a level-headed fellow forum user unofficially suggesting everyone take a break from a heated topic.

I actually first thought of typing What have you been smoking? but then I thought I would change to drinking and tie it in with New Year traditions. It was a joke. I can see you are sober and serious. I do sincerely apologize if it offended you and I will be happy to remove it if you wish. Please let me know. Thank you.

crmcneill wrote:
The old EU at least made a pretense of operating in a galaxy where things were bound by real world physics, but the new canon has thrown even that out the window.
crmcneill wrote:
The key word in the statement of mine that you quoted was "pretense"... The basic theme is "because [technobabble], this happens."

There was never any pretense that the Star Wars universe ever operated under real world physics. The only people who believe that are people that have no idea what real world physics are so the franchise could use the Jedi Mind Trick on them. The actual pretense is that there is the illusion of a set of internally consistent yet completely fantastic rules the universe follows. It's an illusion because what it really is is a bunch of fantasy happening and then some individual aspects of it are "explained" on a case-by-case basis with new, completely made-up, unreal "Star Wars physics" by many different authors. I know because I'm a repository of a lot of the technobable and spout it off often. I say some aspects because some never even get the courtesy of technobabble.

Fan favorite film TESB is one of the best examples. The asteroid the Falcon landed in (with the space slug) would not have enough mass to have any semblance of 1G gravity. It would have much less gravity than even the moon. Much less. And although they did portray that there wasn't breathable atmosphere inside the space slug, it doesn't make sense for their to be any atmosphere to speak of at all. Gas in space is such low volume that it doesn't make any kind of sense for the space slug to have any kind of bio system involving gas, and even if it does hold gas inside it, it's mouth was open to space until the Falcon flew out so any gas of anywhere near air pressure to not seriously effect humans would have escaped to space, so there shouldn't be air pressure inside the space slug which would mean Han and Leia should have had to wear space suites. You call this physics? Star Wars has always ignored physics, and the later EU has never even given us faux-science technobabble to "explain" it.

crmcneill wrote:
Star Wars is devolving from something that, at worst, treated physics with a wink-and-a-nod approach into something that completely ignores physics all so J.J. Abrams could get the shot that he wanted. This is the straw that broke my particular camel's back.

Yes, it's the straw that broke your camel's back, and someone else's too. But it doesn't even have to be because you perceive there to be a relative difference in the application of real world physics between Lucas and Disney. It could simply be because "I don't like it." I can respect that. Saying that Lucas Wars has even a pretense of real world physics while Disney Wars doesn't is what's silly. Space slugs and rathars have zero pretense of real world physics. Hyperspace, hypermatter and hyperdrives have zero pretense of real world physics. All superweapons that destroy planets have zero pretense of real world physics. Death Star I annihilating hypermatter and traveling FTL to its targets has zero pretense in real world physics. Starkiller's hyperlight weapon draining stars then disrupting hyperspace and the real space time continuum has zero pretense in real world physics.

As a discriminating nerd I can understand and appreciate liking one and not the other, but saying TFA has no pretense of real world physics while Lucas' Star Wars does is ridiculous because neither of them do. It comes across as irrational hatred. You don't like an effect of the new movie's superweapon and you don't accept the technobabble explanation for it. That makes sense. But saying the old franchise had a pretense of real world physics makes me ask, Who are you really trying to convince or justify your position to? Yourself? It's untrue and unnecessary.

And since you don't hate TESB, could you please provide me some technobabble for the space slug issue? I would appreciate it. Thanks.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:38 am; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: What will change in your SWU? : SPOILERS POSSIBLE Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
But I don't see it as EU vs. Canon. I have issues with both and disregard aspects of both for my own personal SW universe. My acceptance of TFA in my personal canon has absolutely no bearing on my consideration of which era to play in. I simply have no interest in changing from the Dark Times and Rebellion eras.

There is that, too. The one thing that I do like about the Clone Wars and Rebels TV shows is that they bring a lot of new equipment and ships to the table to flesh out the universe of the Classic Era, especially fleshing out Alliance military units with Clone Wars-era vehicles and weapons. There is, however, little use for technology that hasn't even been invented yet (pretty much everything in TFA). The only exception I could see are the Baleen and the Resistance Transport, both of which are conceivably old enough to be around during the time of the OT.

Quote:
The "incident" you linked was from January 2012, and this site did not institute the use of moderators until December 2012. I quoted the only thing I could find that you may be referring to, and I don't see it as a warning or lecture. It was an interjection by a level-headed fellow forum user unofficially suggesting everyone take a break from a heated topic.

The warning actually came via PM; I just referenced the discussion for background purposes.

Quote:
I actually first thought of typing What have you been smoking? but then I thought I would change to drinking and tie it in with New Year traditions. It was a joke. I can see now you are sober and serious. I do sincerely apologize if it offended you and I will be happy to remove it if you wish. Please let me know. Thank you.

I may have overreacted a little. The last few days have been rather stressful, and that has a tendency to affect how hair-trigger my temper is when posting. Leave it as is.

Quote:
You don't like an effect of the new movie's superweapon and you don't accept the technobabble explanation for it. That makes sense. But saying the old franchise had a pretense of real world physics makes me ask, Who are you really trying to convince or justify your position to? Yourself? It's untrue and unnecessary.

It's the difference in scale between the two lies, really. You say that the SWU ignores physics, and I'll accept that at face value. However, it has been my experience that all science fiction ignores physics to one degree or another, yet we all nod sagely and accept that the explanation we are given is true (insofar as it goes in-universe). A great deal of the acceptance is based in the fact that we are dealing with unknowns; we don't know exactly how things like hyperspace or repulsorlifts or blaster weapons work, so when we are given a halfway-reasonable sounding explanation, we accept it as part of the fabric of this highly advanced universe we are playing in.

But the speed of light is a known factor. It's something that has been studied and measured, and while we can't say we know everything there is to know about it, it has been established that light can take years, decades, centuries, millennia or eons to travel from one star to another, depending on the distance involved.

So again, it comes back to the scale of the fiction.

Battlestation the size of a small moon with a weapon that can destroy an entire planet with a single shot? Well, I don't know what exactly blasters do, I don't know exactly how much energy is released when hypermatter is annihilated, and I don't know how much hypermatter is being annihilated to generate the energy for the shot. As such, with so many unknowns, suspension of disbelief comes relatively easy.

Then we have a super-weapon that essentially takes up a large portion of the interior of a roughly Earth-sized planet, with a massive gash easily hundreds of miles deep gouged into the equator. More than enough unknowns here that suspension of disbelief is still possible, if only just (after all, this isn't the first hyperspace-capable superweapon in the SWU). But they messed with one known factor; the speed of light. Whatever else I may or may not know about physics, I know that light does not travel instantaneously from one point to another, and the further apart the two points are, the greater the delay. And when the distance is thousands of light years, halfway across a galaxy, the delay will be just that: thousands of years.

If Abrams had gone the route of having the audience watching a real-time broadcast over the Holonet, it would've had a similar effect, and would've tied in with the obviously advanced communication capabilities seen in TFA. It would still have been absurd, but since it was based on the functioning of an unknown technology (the Holonet), it would've been more believable than what we actually got.

And with that one absurdity that was just too over-the-top for me to take seriously, every other nebulous doubt and plot hole that has been building up in the "canon" SWU crystallized around it and turned discomfort into active dislike.

I can handle quite a bit of suspension of disbelief in a sci-fi setting; it's almost a prerequisite for a sci-fi fan. But not when the premise I'm being asked to accept is predicated on the assumption that I'm an idiot who would stick his hand in a meat grinder if it said "Star Wars" on the side.

Quote:
And since you don't hate TESB, could you please provide me some technobabble for the space slug issue? I would appreciate it. Thanks.

The explanation I heard had to do with the Falcon's navigation shields. It's been established since the first film that energy field technology in the SWU can be used to contain an atmosphere against the vacuum of space, within certain limits. When this tech is used on hangar bays aboard capital ships or space stations, it requires a boundary of some sort around the edges, but can maintain a Type I Atmosphere against hard vacuum. In the case of the space slug, the Falcon's own navigation shields were shaped into a dome-shape version of that same field, with the "ground" as the base. The shield generator was not of sufficient strength to maintain a full sphere, but could create a hemisphere of sufficient strength to maintain a Type III Atmosphere (breath mask required), in that you couldn't breathe it, but you wouldn't suffer negative pressure effects in the short term.

This system would only be turned on when needed, as it draws a lot of power, which would in turn increase the chances of being spotted by the searching Imperials. As such, it wasn't turned on until after the Mynocks were already on the hull, and was on for only a few minutes before Han realized they were inside a space slug.

Whill

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: What will change in your SWU? : SPOILERS POSSIBLE Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
There is, however, little use for technology that hasn't even been invented yet (pretty much everything in TFA). The only exception I could see are the Baleen and the Resistance Transport, both of which are conceivably old enough to be around during the time of the OT.

You seem to be artificially imposing an unnecessary limitation on your own personal SWU. If you like a ship from TFA, it shouldn't matter when it first appeared in the canon timeline. You are free to cherry pick the bits you like out of TFA (or anything else) and have them appear at any point you wish of your own SWU's timeline. Put a new ship in the Rebellion era of your game if you want. I've pulled stuff from the future EU back to an earlier time, as well as pulled stuff from the TotJ era forward to a time more recent. Why not? It's your SWU, and it is all pure fiction afterall.

crmcneill wrote:
But the speed of light is a known factor. It's something that has been studied and measured, and while we can't say we know everything there is to know about it, it has been established that light can take years, decades, centuries, millennia or eons to travel from one star to another, depending on the distance involved.

In the real world, sound waves and light can be converted to FM radio waves that travel the speed of light (in a vacuum with no gravitational influences). In Star Wars, holonet technology transmits realspace sound and light into into hyperspace, converting them to hyperlight that travels so much faster than the speed of light and reconverts the energy to sound and light transmitted back into realspace to to allow for instantaneous communication across the galaxy. And this capability is not restricted to just single line directional use. In AotC Obi-Wan attempted to connect with Anakin on Naboo and after failing to do so, he widened the transmission to all directions and got a ping from Anakin's transponder on Tatooine.

In TFA, the Starkiller hyperlight superweapon drains stars. (Do you realize how much energy a star has? Our sun has burned for 4.6 billion years and it will burn for another 4 billion+ years. Many stars in our galaxy are larger than our sun, and many stars live longer.) This drained star energy is converted into massive amounts of hyperlight, not unlike holonet technology except that it makes the hyperspace "transmission" extremely destructive to not only the realspace targets but also hyperspace itself along the way. (Heck, the machine probably uses the holonet to target planets.) Hyperspace is coterminous with realspace, so a side effect of the weapon's awesome destructive power is that the hyperlight bleeds off in all directs at holonet speeds and disrupts realspace to show the effect in realspace. It's a welcome side effect so the galaxy can quake with fear by what the First Order can now do.

It sounds like your main problem with the whole things is just the hyperlight energy (that bleeds off to everywhere in every direction) converting back to realspace light without a holonet receiver. It's a space-time disruption, and if anything can fuel that in the Star Wars Universe, it's going to be the energy of stars converted into hyperlight.

crmcneill wrote:
I can handle quite a bit of suspension of disbelief in a sci-fi setting; it's almost a prerequisite for a sci-fi fan. But not when the premise I'm being asked to accept is predicated on the assumption that I'm an idiot who would stick his hand in a meat grinder if it said "Star Wars" on the side.

I respect where you choose to draw the line, and I don't believe for a minute that outside of rant mode you would actually call me an idiot. So maybe you can respect that some of us put our hand in the box and there was no meat grinder for us. I am personally so scientific and critical-minded that I view it as a miracle whenever I can find a way to suspend disbelief enough to enjoy fiction. It's a wonderful blessing when it happens. I pity those fans who can't accept the Starkiller technobabble. My hand is fine, and I have a new Star Wars movie that I can still enjoy (even though it's highly derivative of my favorite film). Let's all just live and let live.

crmcneill wrote:
Quote:

The explanation I heard had to do with the Falcon's navigation shields. It's been established since the first film that energy field technology in the SWU can be used to contain an atmosphere against the vacuum of space, within certain limits. When this tech is used on hangar bays aboard capital ships or space stations, it requires a boundary of some sort around the edges, but can maintain a Type I Atmosphere against hard vacuum. In the case of the space slug, the Falcon's own navigation shields were shaped into a dome-shape version of that same field, with the "ground" as the base. The shield generator was not of sufficient strength to maintain a full sphere, but could create a hemisphere of sufficient strength to maintain a Type III Atmosphere (breath mask required), in that you couldn't breathe it, but you wouldn't suffer negative pressure effects in the short term.

This system would only be turned on when needed, as it draws a lot of power, which would in turn increase the chances of being spotted by the searching Imperials. As such, it wasn't turned on until after the Mynocks were already on the hull, and was on for only a few minutes before Han realized they were inside a space slug.

OK, that works for me as far as creating a field that can hold in a gaseous atmosphere. But where did this gas come from? The only place it could have come from would be the Falcon itself, which means it would have to lose some of the gas it would be carrying. The only thing I can think of would be carbon dioxide from exhalations that were meant to be converted back into oxygen. Anyway, perhaps the gases were sucked back into the Falcon after they got back on board and dropped the field.

However that still does not address the gravity. With the technology that hanger bays use to hold in atmosphere, a separate unrelated technology is used to generate the artificial gravity. I think this field somehow also generating gravity on the bottom of the bubble for Han, Leia and Chewie to walk with may be a line I can't cross... My only idea is that the space slugs themselves have the ability to manipulate gravity - Maybe that is how they move from asteroid to asteroid. If space slugs can create gravity then maybe the one they were in created gravity that happened to make the surface the Falcon landed on "down" and be roughly equivalent to 1G.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What will change in your SWU? : SPOILERS POSSIBLE Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Why not? It's your SWU, and it is all pure fiction afterall.
But then the next issue rears its head; what about TFA actually interests me enough to include that I haven't already included? Very little about what we see in TFA is innovative or unique enough to be worth porting over:
    Giant Star Destroyer - The latest, if you are still bothering to keep track as they go by...

Guided Concussion Missiles - Been there, done that, wrote the stats...

TIE/fo = TIE/ln + Shields + 20 liters of Black Paint

Starkiller Base - The Empire; always trying to compensate for... something.

Etc, etc.

Quote:
In TFA, the Starkiller hyperlight superweapon drains stars. (Do you realize how much energy a star has? Our sun has burned for 4.6 billion years and it will burn for another 4 billion+ years. Many stars in our galaxy are larger than our sun, and many stars live longer.)

Actually, that just makes it worse. Just from the scale being shown in the films, I had assumed Starkiller Base was siphoning off energy from the star around which it orbited, taking only a portion as needed to destroy a planet. I'm not sure I want to know anything more about it because I'm starting to get dizzy from the repetitive eye-rolling.

Quote:
I respect where you choose to draw the line, and I don't believe for a minute that outside of rant mode you would actually call me an idiot.

Well, if you are an idiot, I'm in the same line, having paid to see the film twice (although the second time had the additional incentive of who I saw it with). That being said, my dislike for the film did not coalesce around what I saw in the film nearly so much as it did around how the Disney canon story group (or whatever) chose to explain it. Up to that point, I could've gone with the assumption that the two planets from which the effect was observed were near enough to the target planet so as to be able to observe the effects in real time (flimsy enough, but also a good explanation as to the near absence of communication delays). It wasn't until I saw the TFA map of the galaxy that everything fell apart for me.

Quote:
Let's all just live and let live.

That's probably the most realistic approach at this point.

Quote:
OK, that works for me as far as creating a field that can hold in a gaseous atmosphere. But where did this gas come from? The only place it could have come from would be the Falcon itself, which means it would have to lose some of the gas it would be carrying. The only thing I can think of would be carbon dioxide from exhalations that were meant to be converted back into oxygen. Anyway, perhaps the gases were sucked back into the Falcon after they got back on board and dropped the field.

A combination of pumps and the field being drawn back in to near-hull levels so as to pressurize the gas and force it back into the ship's atmosphere recycling systems, perhaps?

Quote:
However that still does not address the gravity. With the technology that hanger bays use to hold in atmosphere, a separate unrelated technology is used to generate the artificial gravity.

Two possibilities:

1) It's an extension of the ship's own artificial gravity field, pushed out into the immediate vicinity of the ship, like how the acceleration compensators were used to counter the shield-draining effects of Yuuzhan-Vong dovin basals.

2). It's an effect of the ship's own repulsorlift drives, creating a localized gravity field to hold the ship steady on the landing surface even though they were in a fractional gravity field.

Pholus
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:42 pm    Post subject: For me, nothing changes. Reply with quote

I liked the movie while watching it, but while thinking about it afterwards in terms of the RPG I find very little in it that was compelling enough to accept it as part of MY canon. The politics felt wrong, the overt similarities to ANH were kind of offputting, there were no NEW locations and few new gismos and above all else Starkiller Base killed my suspension of disbelief. I have designed more compelling Sith than Kylo Ren and I will be HIGHLY put out if they don't give a pretty good reason that Rey is such a force boss with so little training.

So I will use JJ's Star Trek dodge.... TfA is in an alternate universe until it does something that makes me want to use it as MY universe.

It's not that bad. If you ever played Traveller you remember the IMTU ("In My Traveller Universe") geek code, right? It was a way to tell people about all the choices you made to canon for your gaming universe.

The original site is offline but someone talks enough about it you can get the gist from it:
http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=15248

Maybe we need to make one for SWRPG now....

If TfA stands for The Force Awakens and ANH was A New Hope, my SW Geek Code would currently include:

ANH++
TfA--
Teazia
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starkiller Base is actually an environmental godsend, it saves the Universe from Super Novas, Giants, Dwarves and ***Gasp*** Black Holes!

Thank you Norman Lear Center :p
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teazia wrote:
Starkiller Base is actually an environmental godsend, it saves the Universe from Super Novas, Giants, Dwarves and ***Gasp*** Black Holes!

Thank you Norman Lear Center :p

But what about the global warming?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: