The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Stress and Stress Relief aka Vices
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Stress and Stress Relief aka Vices Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to being quite poor and almost all my character's money going into Interest for the Crime Lord that "owned" my ship... And everyone ELSE'S money going into their increasing amount of equipment...

The only luxury I had on my ship was a wet bar. It wasn't well stocked, but, by damn, if you needed a drink after a hairy mission or space battle, it was there for you.

I also had to be the bartender, too, damnit.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
So if a character rolled for stress at the start of the session and passed....they know there is no problem accessing CPs for the rest of the session?

Or if they failed at the start, they couldn't unwind during a few moments of downtime in preparation for whatever might be coming down the line?

I was picturing more of a simplified version, where a failure on the Stress roll imparts a penalty that only goes away when the character gets some stress relief. You can still spend CPs like normal to offset failed rolls, but there's a noticeable decrease in performance level until the stress is dealt with. It's been my experience that you don't know stress is a problem until it already is a problem.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
What tended to happen was that the characters treated stress relief like a shopping list.

"We're going on a space voyage. Okay, lets pick up a couple cases of Alderaanian Ale, a dozen doses of narcospice. Ration them to 3 a day and we should be good."

Where on a day-by-day sort of game, vices are things to be taken advantage of as they become available.
Ray wrote:
Due to being quite poor and almost all my character's money going into Interest for the Crime Lord that "owned" my ship... And everyone ELSE'S money going into their increasing amount of equipment...

The only luxury I had on my ship was a wet bar. It wasn't well stocked, but, by damn, if you needed a drink after a hairy mission or space battle, it was there for you.

I think if the GM wants to make stress and stress relief part of the game, it behooves them to limit accessibility to it. Sure, being able to take a drink might reduce the stress a bit, but I'd like to see it where, if the players really want to make a dent in their stress level, the characters pretty much have to take some downtime somewhere every few sessions to decompress.

Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Dredwulf60 wrote:
What tended to happen was that the characters treated stress relief like a shopping list.

"We're going on a space voyage. Okay, lets pick up a couple cases of Alderaanian Ale, a dozen doses of narcospice. Ration them to 3 a day and we should be good."

Where on a day-by-day sort of game, vices are things to be taken advantage of as they become available.
Ray wrote:

I think if the GM wants to make stress and stress relief part of the game, it behooves them to limit accessibility to it. Sure, being able to take a drink might reduce the stress a bit, but I'd like to see it where, if the players really want to make a dent in their stress level, the characters pretty much have to take some downtime somewhere every few sessions to decompress.

Indeed.

I eventually disallowed the 'shopping list' and kept the stress relief rolls for situations that were mixed in with roleplaying.

Bad:
Players mention that they go to the cantina a down a dozen beers and throw some creds at the dancers before the mission.

Good:
The players have a scene in the cantina. There, in-character, they talk about recent events that happened, plan for the future. They buy each other a round, play a drinking game, one of the characters tells a sad story about a departed friend of family member. The others try to cheer him up with another round.
One of the characters decides to try a new pickup line on the waitress, while the others heckle him from the sidelines.

In essence, it comes back to my original goal with the system, which is having a game-mechanic reason why a character would*want* to imbibe any sort of alcohol, mind-altering spice, watch an exotic twilek dancing or eat a fattening treat of some kind. Because it lets you keep those stress points in check before they become an issue.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
In essence, it comes back to my original goal with the system, which is having a game-mechanic reason why a character would*want* to imbibe any sort of alcohol, mind-altering spice, watch an exotic twilek dancing or eat a fattening treat of some kind. Because it lets you keep those stress points in check before they become an issue.

Works for me, too. I'm primarily looking at it from the perspective of providing an incentive for characters to put the expense and use of limited internal volume into luxury / recreational facilities on their starships.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A while back, I came up with rules for Psychological Effects that come into play under specific circumstances. I was perusing this and it occurred to me that this system could potentially be tied in, with failed Willpower vs. Stress results causing a temporary uncontrolled emotional outburst.

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One possible way to approach it would be to require a willpower roll prior to any other social skill rolls. Failure of the willpower check results in a penalty (cumulative based on length of time without decompression) on persuasion, command, investigations, and other interactive skills (possibly just make it any and all perception skills, which tend to require patience, focus, and/or emotional intelligence).
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
One possible way to approach it would be to require a willpower roll prior to any other social skill rolls. Failure of the willpower check results in a penalty (cumulative based on length of time without decompression) on persuasion, command, investigations, and other interactive skills (possibly just make it any and all perception skills, which tend to require patience, focus, and/or emotional intelligence).

That sounds a little too roll-intensive for my tastes. I'd prefer to treat it as a story factor decided before or after the game session, roughly thus:
    1) After the session ends, GM doles out any Stress Points earned that game.
    2) Before the next session begins, everybody rolls their Willpower against their Stress Point total.
    3) On a failure, the character is "Stressed Out" and suffers a -1D penalty to all actions until they can engage in some form of stress relief.
    4) In addition, on any Wild 1, the Stressed Out character suffers an Emotional Outburst and loses control for a round, suffering either a Confusion or Hatred result at the GM's discretion.
    5) On a Hatred result, the character lashes out physically, either at the person they're interacting with, or the closest available target.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dred, in the original rule post, you mention a separate document for different kinds of gambling. Did you ever post that?

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a somewhat related note, a few other systems actually have a skill called Carousing that covers the ability of characters to "party". The descriptions I can find make it a combination social (for interaction) and stamina (for the consumption of substances). I'm not really seeing a way to cross that over without making it an Advanced Skill, but at the same time, in a fully implemented Stress / Relaxation system, it'd be useful to have a skill that measures how well the character can successfully relax and blow off steam. It'd be a nice way to set apart the people who are so uptight and closed off (represented by low dice levels in Carousing) that they can't really relax, and thus have a harder time burning off Stress Points.

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
On a somewhat related note, a few other systems actually have a skill called Carousing that covers the ability of characters to "party". The descriptions I can find make it a combination social (for interaction) and stamina (for the consumption of substances). I'm not really seeing a way to cross that over without making it an Advanced Skill, but at the same time, in a fully implemented Stress / Relaxation system, it'd be useful to have a skill that measures how well the character can successfully relax and blow off steam. It'd be a nice way to set apart the people who are so uptight and closed off (represented by low dice levels in Carousing) that they can't really relax, and thus have a harder time burning off Stress Points.

My knee-jerk is that I hate the concept that carousing requires the stamina to consume substances. It just seems that way since alcohol (and other substances) are so omnipresent in our society. I really despise the term "social drinker." If you can't be social without a drink in your hand and you are social a lot, you may have a substance problem.

I went the other direction, to be pointedly less social, but at least I am not harboring a substance problem. But I admit I am in the minority of our society who does not drink at all. After almost three decades of drinking (yes since high school), I gave it up completely almost 6 years ago. Personally, life is less stressful now.

It really already pretty much included it, but I added to the persuasion skill the Purgatory D6 skill charm. If a character needed to carouse (to gather information or set-up a con) and it was in a social situation with drinking, he could hold the drink in his hand and never drink it, just to fit in with the others. It is true that the character may not be able to participate in drinking games or otherwise participate in situations where others are monitoring the drink and expecting consumption. Or other skills might come into play, like sneaking and sleight of hand feats, to give the illusion that drinks are being consumed when they aren't.

I'm just saying.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to agree; I was mostly just bringing up Carousing as an example of how other games have dealt with that aspect. The more I think about it, the less inclined I am toward a Carousing skill than I am something along the lines of a Relaxation skill, to represent a character's ability to blow off steam regardless of their chosen pastime. For some, it's going to be drinking and socializing, and for others, it'll be more like what MrNexx mentioned here. Maybe base the Difficulty on Stress Point Level and amount of time character has available to relax and recover. And per what Dred mentioned, maybe providing bonuses / modifiers if the characters take the time to roleplay their downtime...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: