The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Rebuilding WEG collection: supplement game value?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Rebuilding WEG collection: supplement game value? Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BluMax wrote:
A few more from the recent lot

I'm vicariously excited with your rapid growth of your WEG collection! It reminds me of when I was completing my collection.

BluMax wrote:
Creatures of the Galaxy: according to the intro, WEG asked for artists to conceptualize alien beasties, then assigned writers to develop background, a reversal of sorts. So, easily 100+ critters of all shapes and sizes are described and illustrated. I like this book, though the game value is a little questionable. Most of the creatures are native to one world, so unless heroes visit that world the chances of encountering one seem remote. Of course, in true "Monster Manual" tradition, a GM a can always reskin the stats as needed.

I may not need new creatures in my game that often either, but this book is really cool. It's interesting that this book was made opposite of how they are normally made. The artists were commissioned to design new interesting-looking aliens, and then the writers came in afterward and wrote-up the capsules (and stats) based on the artwork.

It may be out of date now, but several years ago I did go through the book and determined which species had been used in the EU, and which ones hadn't. My intention was to adapt the species that hadn't ever been used and populate them on new planets of my choosing. Of course, you are not limited to even that and can reskin EU species as well. It's your SWU so do what you want.

BluMax wrote:
Tales of the Jedi Companion: Recommended by a few folks upthread, a profusely illustrated hardback with color plates. I remember the Dark Horse series on which it is based, full of action and exotic locations that captured the Star Wars feeling well, despite being set thousands of years before ANH. Lots of good info, and the expanded Force Power list is useful. Glad to have it back!

This one is useful to me not only for the Force material. My campaign deal vaguely with EU continuity over 1000 years before the films. When I just need some quick old tech from any old area, this is my go-to book for inspiration.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
BluMax
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I'm vicariously excited with your rapid growth of your WEG collection! It reminds me of when I was completing my collection.

Yeah, an ebay seller had lots of 9 mint WEG books for $50 - I couldn't pass it up! And I keep my eye on Amazon for good used deals.

Today I flipped through Platt's StarPort Guide. Everyone's favorite silver-haired hottie describes 7 different ports of call, with locations/npcs of interest and adventure ideas. (I thought I read somewhere that a lot of this content is recycled from Adventure Journal). Special shout out to illustrator Chris Gossett who contributes a variety of moody color illustrations - almost like watercolors. Although WEG has color inserts going back to its earliest Star Wars products, those are generally imported pieces from other sources. These, however are original, and very nice renderings - almost on par with Johnston, McQuarrie, et. al.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a couple of spaceports I really like in that book.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BluMax wrote:
Whill wrote:

Yeah, an ebay seller had lots of 9 mint WEG books for $50 - I couldn't pass it up! And I keep my eye on Amazon for good used deals.

Today I flipped through Platt's StarPort Guide. Everyone's favorite silver-haired hottie describes 7 different ports of call, with locations/npcs of interest and adventure ideas. (I thought I read somewhere that a lot of this content is recycled from Adventure Journal). Special shout out to illustrator Chris Gossett who contributes a variety of moody color illustrations - almost like watercolors. Although WEG has color inserts going back to its earliest Star Wars products, those are generally imported pieces from other sources. These, however are original, and very nice renderings - almost on par with Johnston, McQuarrie, et. al.

I'm running with the adventure prompt for Kuat in a game I'm doing right now. I'm glad that I have that guide.
BluMax
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a supplement I wasn't at all familiar with: Cracken's threat dossier. Basically, it stats up a number of EU novels in three sections: Courtship of Princess Leia, the Black Fleet Crisis and the Corellian Incident (it's been years, but I do remember reading all of them). Dathomir 'witchcraft', Yevethans, various hybrid ships, it's all here. But there isn't much of a TOC or organizational scheme; it might be difficult to find a specific item, npc or planet. Art is decent throughout - I got a special kick out of the Raptor Commando on pg. 36, a dead ringer for Captain Phasma from TFA!

BluMax
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple more:

Best of the Star Wars Adventure Journal, Issues 1-4: one bright spot in my basement flood was that the box w/my collection of SW Journals survived intact. So, this addition (via lot) seems redundant. Otoh, WEG made a point of including some color art, a nice treat. And, I personally prefer the full-size format as opposed to the digest format of the original Journals - easier to find, mark and read!

Endgame (Darkstryder): I don't have the previous installments, but this as the title suggests is the last chapter of the Darkstryder campaign. It appears to be pretty offbeat, with new Force powers, weird ant people, an emphasis on biotech, and the big bad itself, which looks like something from the imagination of H.R. Giger. I think it's received a fair amount of criticism for departing so far from the source material, but I think there's room in Star Wars for all sorts of stories.
BluMax
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently received the 2 ed. Star Wars Sourcebook at a good price. I had the 1e version, and fondly remember devouring the text. Just about everything corresponded to what we saw onscreen, and the Star Wars universe made sense! It's nice to have it back in this updated version, a true RPG classic.

The drawbacks I suppose are 1) a lot of this background is already in REUP, so there is duplication and 2) they removed the color in-universe 'advertisements', presumably as a cost saving measure. Not strictly needed, but they were fun!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: