The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

ADnD like Invisibility??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> ADnD like Invisibility?? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject: ADnD like Invisibility?? Reply with quote

First off, would you ever allow a monster/baddie to exist that had (even if say only once a day for a few rounds or so) an affect similar to ADND's Mage spell Invisibility?

If so, how would you handle it in regards to when invisible how hard he/she would be to detect/hit??
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Adnd like Invisibility?? Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
First off, would you ever allow a monster/baddie to exist that had (even if say only once a day for a few rounds or so) an affect similar to ADND's Mage spell Invisibility?

I believe one of the White Current abilities from Cracken's Threat Dossier did just that. Of course, the question then becomes whether the physics behind how the creature becomes invisible are the same across the board...

Quote:
If so, how would you handle it in regards to when invisible how hard he/she would be to detect/hit??
Being in total darkness provides a +4D modifier to difficulty to hit. That's as good a starting point as any.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isn't there a force power that gave a perception penalty?
dim senses or such? I don't have my books on me.

now that would only work on living creatures rather then bending light.

now you could bend light around you using alter maybe but then you would need someway of sending where your going, that would be double blind.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Adnd like Invisibility?? Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Being in total darkness provides a +4D modifier to difficulty to hit. That's as good a starting point as any.

This is what I was going to go with. I had originally thought off a bonus to sneak but when your invisible, you're well, invisible. Essentially "blind" to the creature. How would with work mechanically?

1. While invisible all difficulty numbers to hit the creature would be +4D (+2-3D if the GM decides it has a slight shimmer to it like from the Predator movies).
2. I would give it automatic initiative, it goes first or can automatically interrupt a character action.
3. Since the players cannot see the creature it stands to reason it would get a bonus to its attack rolls (+4D).
4. Characters cannot reactive defend against this creature but the GM may allow a secret roll of the characters search skill opposed by the creatures attack. If successful they hear a noise, see a flicker or whatever and may declare a reactive defense.

Just some quick ideas.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a converted force power: "Cloak" on page 58 of the Clone Wars conversion guide done by the crew here.

On a heroic alter roll the Jedi gets +3D+1 added on to his sneak skill.

Then you have the Defel's unique stealth characteristics because of the way their fur interacts with visible light giving them a +3D to sneak.

I think the benchmark with the Cloak power is a decent place to start.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If ots going to be a force power, Id rather see the bonus linked to the relevant force skill (probably alter) such tuat the higher the skill (or the higher the total roll) the bigger the bonus/benefit.

If it is tech based, then a flat/constant bonus works well, IMO.

I would allow it, but not frivolously. Achieving such a power would come at some cost/trade-off. For example, learning the power might require such dedication, that it can only be learned to the excluaion of other powers while pursuing it. For example, I might require a consecutive 3pips of force skill iimprovements with no powers being gaind for those pips. Then, on the fpurth pip, the power is gained....
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually looking at it more from part of the 'sith alchemical (or what ever other thing mutated them) power that was given more than a force power. Sort of it IS their main form of defense (low str, no to little natural armor).. They are hiders and sneak attackers, more so than in your face brawler types..

What i was possibly looking at was

[Insert name of critter here], Shroud.
This power, usable three times a day, allows the {insert name} to become almost fully invisible, so opponents fight them as if in total darkness (-4d to ranged and melee combat rolls) and suffer -3d to all chances to detect (perception/search).. Once they make an offensive attack, the shroud drops and the must wait until the next combat round to try and re-engage it, and Only if they win initiative can they do so.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I was actually looking at it more from part of the 'sith alchemical (or what ever other thing mutated them) power that was given more than a force power. Sort of it IS their main form of defense (low str, no to little natural armor).. They are hiders and sneak attackers, more so than in your face brawler types..

Did you get a chance to look at the comments I posted. They were specifically created with a creature non-Force special ability in mind.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did, which is where some of those mods i wrote in came from..
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd allow it, sure. Would it include the invisibility ceasing after an attack, or are we looking at more like Improved Invisibility?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drops. And as the write up says, can only be re-engaged if they WIN initiative on their very first action in the following round.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious about the physics of the invisibility itself. Is it a mental effect, like a Force power that causes the minds of others to not register the character's presence? If it is light-bending, how can the invisible person see? After all, if the light is being bent around him, it can't get to his eyes...

Or is it something different, like taking the character out of phase with the electromagnetic spectrum? And if so, would he be detectable by other means, like motion sensors?

Or does it go even further, where it takes the character physically out of phase as well, so that he can't even be picked up by motion sensors?

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not mental, not technological.. more of a physical basis..
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Defel-style metamaterials?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Not mental, not technological.. more of a physical basis..
Can you explain in greater detail?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: