The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Psychology of Droids
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> The Psychology of Droids Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:

Your car is an AI capable of learning new things entirely outside the scope of its original programming?

The thing is, if IG-88 wants to learn, say, modern Dance or Givin Origami, he can do so. He is mentally able to learn a skill entirely outside his normal functions, without any restriction. The only real restriction on R2 or C3P0 are the Asimov circuits, and R2, at least, has overcome those to an extent (q.v. shocking the ewoks).

Your car, assuming it's a brand new model, is capable of maybe learning where you work and your preferred route. It can report on its status and, based on those statuses, make recommendations for repair or service... but it can't hook up to a completely different car and tell you what that car needs. It likely cannot drive itself, nor even really learn how. It is entirely limited by what it is programmed to learn and do... it can acquire some data (i.e. "This location is tagged 'Work' by the user"), but it can't make that deduction on its own.

In short, your car is not an intelligent droid. It can't make decisions, nor learn things outside the scope of its programming. It is not sentient in the same way as an Astromech droid, unless you have a car that far exceeds what's on the modern market.

To turn the question aroud: R2 consumes resources. He is capable of reproducing, learning, and having opinions. He can communicate with any who can understand his language, and can communicate complex thoughts on a variety of subject. Why isn't he sentient?

I normally enjoy a philosophical discussion, but for whatever reason, this topic just doesn't do it for me. I'll offer one last counterpoint, though (apologies if it comes across as overly aggressive):

Car computers are far more sophisticated than you give them credit for in this post, but we will leave that out of the discussion.

The "degree of intelligence" argument you are making relies on a threshold that distinguishes sentience from what? Artificial intelligence?

If the canonical Star Wars definition of a "droid" is something that can learn and act on its own, then, yes, there are, in fact modern cars which can do that. Google has produced several "autonomous" cars and BMW has developed a system of updating software that requires BMW cars to identify each other on the road and pass information via WiFi to each other.

A car with GPS "knows" where it is at all times and is capable of finding its way anywhere on the planet. The Google cars, therefore, can go where they please, literally... all you have to do is remove the "restraining bolt" ignition key/fob thingy from the equation and give the car the ability to start and stop its own engine.

If we want to use something like IG88 as an example of a droid that surpassed its programming, an argument could certainly be made that the software and/or hardware had an open ended function in its design (whether intentionally or not). Nevertheless, a computer is limited by its hardware, regardless of what software it has. IG88's hardware was simply built to mimic "autonomy." IG88 has a computer brain. It is a calculator. Nothing more.

In my SWU, if IG88 were to encounter one of my PCs, I would not give that character a DSP for any action committed against IG88, regardless of how evil it would have been if committed against a human (or an amoeba or whatever).

"Thinking" that it's alive, and actually being alive are two different things in my SWU.

Have you seen the video of the human-like robot that "likes art" and "hopes to have a family of its own" and "wants to start a business"?

It's just spouting off a pre-programmed answer to a predetermined question for the sake of product demonstration. Nevertheless, the inventor designed it to mimic human qualities so that it would be accepted as "human." But its a thing pretending to be something else. It could be programmed to "want" this or that and therefore be programmed to pursue it... and even to "perceive" certain actions as hostile or immoral or whatever.

Nevertheless, if you tell a computer to accept certain things, it will. Tell it to reject, it will. IG88 only knows what a "threat" is because it was programmed to recognize certain actions as a threat. Had it been programmed to recognize those actions as beneficial to itself, it would respond differently.

Check out WATSON for another example of a computer that "learns." It actually just does math really, really fast... math that is already programmed into it. And it calculates its decisions based on percentages and probability. A calculator.

My SWU includes no such "tech" that can become "sentient" in the manner of a living creature, and that includes IG88, were it ever to show up in my SWU. (The droid simply mimics autonomy, to the point that it "expresses itself" as an autonomous being might, but everything it does can be isolated to an algorithm somewhere in its programming, even if it is a glitch).
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, then, what makes a living being different? Seriously, you're drawing a line on "is constructed", but I don't think it's necessarily a valid line to draw, because the constructed being can be far more self-aware than some "living" creatures.

Are clones sentients? What about eusocial hive-minded creatures?

As mentioned, most droids are programmed to want to be subservient, and that's fine. But those that overcome that programming are the ones who are issue.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:

Are clones sentients?

IMO that is a discussion for a separate thread.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
As mentioned, most droids are programmed to want to be subservient, and that's fine. But those that overcome that programming are the ones who are issue.

Which is dealt with on a case-by-case basis as encountered in-universe, and not worthy of getting worked up about in this one.

It is amazing how personal some people seem to take this stuff.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: The Psychology of Droids Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
So go join the Droid Liberation Front, then, social justice warrior.
CRMcNeill wrote:
It is amazing how personal some people seem to take this stuff.

Says the one who resorts to childish name-calling.

Naaman wrote:
Let me be more specific: no character would receive a dark side point for "mistreating" a droid. What I was getting at was the underlying, fundamental "objective truth" that governs my SWU. In my SWU, droids are not afforded the same ethical/moral considerations as living beings, regardless of how base the living creature is (a cockroach, for example).

On the other hand, intentionally damaging a droid could merit some kind of moral/ethical consideration on the basis of property destruction/vandalism.

As to the local laws and traditions, there is certainly room for whatever; but when it comes to things like the "good" or "evil" inherent in an action, actions committed with respect to droids are exempt from such considerations insofar as the effect on the droid itself (though, the droid's owner warrants consideration for the tort against him/her).

I appreciate your explanation, but where did that come from? The question of the frequency of droids wanting to be free (and the frequency of galactic citizens thinking they should be free) is a completely different question than the morality of others harming them.

The question of droid sentience is more related to to the topic of considering droids wants and desires...

CRMcNeill wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
Why isn't he sentient?
The more valid question is, does it matter to him if he is sentient?

By which I mean, even if he is self-aware, if he doesn't want to be free and independent, why should he be?

I can appreciate your attempt to steer the thread back on topic, but threads going all over the place seem to be the norm here. So it's a valid question too, now.

Naaman wrote:
I normally enjoy a philosophical discussion, but for whatever reason, this topic just doesn't do it for me. I'll offer one last counterpoint, though (apologies if it comes across as overly aggressive)

You were the only one making this into a "philosophical discussion", so perhaps that is why this topic "doesn't do it for"? I am a bit amazed by your apparent high level of opposition to any talk of droids possibly being more than walking calculators, but I don't feel you have been overly aggressive so there is no need to apologize.

Regarding sentience, our cutting edge real world AI hasn't come even close to duplicating what higher-functioning droids like Artoo and Threepio have. Star Wars AI is completely fantastic hand-waived sentience. They are anthropomorphized technological beings, in the same way that some organic alien species are just anthropomorphized animals. Artoo and Threepio are full-fledged characters in the story, not objects or mere devices. They have humanlike awareness, sensation, cognition and personality. The experience emotions and have sense of morality. They have fears and desires. Your car doesn't have that. Nothing in the real world has it anywhere near that to that level. Star Wars would most certainly not classify your car's computer as a droid brain.

Related to the topic of the thread, successful droid programming is about finding a balance. Higher-functioning droids are given this level of sentience for ease for working with their living sentient owners. But it seems that droid programming is not an exact science, because of the unwanted side effects of droids developing unwanted quirks or outright disregarding their programmed purpose (and in rare cases maybe even want to be free) if they don't get routinely mind-wiped. So droid sentience is generally desired by end users, but too much growth and development of a droid's persona beyond its initial parameters, too much experience synthesis is usually undesired. The droid-loving characters who intentionally forgo routinely mind-wiping their droids want to allow them the growth of their character that naturally develops out of their initial sentience and accept the flaws that come with it. Two droids of the same droid model and batch with identical initial programming who each don't get mind-wiped over time may develop completely different personalities based on their interaction with other sentient beings and experiences. The extremely fantastic level of AI is what makes that possible.

Even the battle droid that got offended when General Grievous rudely snatched the Jedi lightsabers without saying thank you was sentient. There is no way the battle droid was intentionally programmed to simulate sarcasm and insubordination to his commander. That was a unintentional "character flaw" that developed from being sentient. Objects are not characters, but sentients are. And WEG even introduced the concept of "void droids" who develop extremely aberrant personalities if left alone or only with other droids and no master to serve for a long period of time. That makes sense to me. Droids are an incredibly useful technology but things can go very wrong if they are not managed correctly.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: Droids Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
The presumption that a sentient being will automatically choose to be free and self-determining is a human conceit based on what we would do in similar situations (and not all of us even then).

The theory here is that, with a few exceedingly rare exceptions, a droid is content to serve and be owned, even if only because its core programming is so deeply ingrained / hard-wired into its core thought processes that it would be uncomfortable with doing anything else.

I agree. Just to hit all the bases of these surprisingly intense droid discussions, let me provide some quick answers of my personal views on droids:

DROIDS
Are droids alive? No.
Even if they think so? No.
Do droids have souls? No.
Even if they think so? No.
Are droids legally property? Yes, almost universally.
Is destroying a droid murder? No, it's destruction of property.
Does harming or destroying a droid ever warrant a DSP? Only if done by a Force-sensitive when experiencing extreme negative emotions. ("Droids killed my family! I HATE droids!!" lol)
Are droids artificially sentient? The higher-functioning ones, Yes.
Are droids characters? Literarily speaking, Yes, many of them are.
Can droids have Character Points? Yes, but only the very important ones to the story with a highly developed personalities from not being mind-wiped over a long period of time, like Artoo.
Can droids have Force Points? No, never, not even Artoo.
Are purely droid characters playable as PCs? No. (I do allow Shards though.)
Do droids ever have free will? Rarely, only after developing a programming flaw.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: The Psychology of Droids Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I appreciate your explanation, but where did that come from? The question of the frequency of droids wanting to be free (and the frequency of galactic citizens thinking they should be free) is a completely different question than the morality of others harming them.

The question of droid sentience is more related to to the topic of considering droids wants and desires...

I was responding to your question about whether someone in my SWU could feel a certain way about droids. However, that issue (how an NPC feels toward droids) was irrelevant to my original remark about droids being property "period." So, what I meant was that, regardless of what a character thinks or feels, the "moral rules" of my SWU do not afford droids any considerations whatsoever, which is incidentally what I thought the discussion was about (are droids in the SWU fundamentally "entitled" to the same considerations as a living being).
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Droids Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

I agree. Just to hit all the bases of these surprisingly intense droid discussions, let me provide some quick answers of my personal views on droids:

I suspect that what we are seeing here is influenced by the respective view points on a much deeper issue than droids in a fictional universe.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: The Psychology of Droids Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Whill wrote:

I suspect that what we are seeing here is influenced by the respective view points on a much deeper issue than droids in a fictional universe.

I only went there because you did in a surprisingly severe way, and I think if you answered the same questions I did that our answers would not be too far off from each other.

CRMcNeill, in the OP, wrote:
So does a droid want to be free, equal and self-determining? Or is it the Star Wars equivalent of a House Elf, content to serve, and horrified by the concept of freedom?
Naaman wrote:
If I were the GM 100% of the time, droids would be property. Period.

Naaman wrote:
Whill wrote:
The question of the frequency of droids wanting to be free (and the frequency of galactic citizens thinking they should be free) is a completely different question than the morality of others harming them.

So, what I meant was that, regardless of what a character thinks or feels, the "moral rules" of my SWU do not afford droids any considerations whatsoever, which is incidentally what I thought the discussion was about (are droids in the SWU fundamentally "entitled" to the same considerations as a living being).

I read the question of what a droid wants, not at all what a droid is entitled to. Those are two completely different concerns. Now I understand your first post in this thread a little better. Knowing a little about how you as a real person feels about droids from the other thread, and your first statement in this thread having the condition of being GM 100% and being so adamant about droids being property, I read that you may be making an oddly universal statement about the fictional galactic citizens of your SWU. So in reaction to this statement I brought the frequency of in-universe characters who may believe in droid emancipation into the discussion, which then still wasn't about the real world game mechanics governing the morality of damaging droids.

You seem to be three steps ahead of everyone else in this discussion, which is why I thought it was odd that this discussion 'wasn't doing it for you'. It's clear you weren't having the same discussion the rest of us were!
Cool
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha! So it seems I read between lines that did not exist. Silly me. But since we are here now...

With regard to the questions you answerd, I would more or less answer the same with one exception and a caveat to that exception:

I do not consider droids to be sentient, but rather to have programming that mimicks sentience.

The caveat is this: Droids do "percieve" insofar as they have sensors and their programming may allow them to interpret their perceptions, but we understand that the language used to explain this (I.e. "perceive" and "interpret", etc) is used for the sake of relating a concept by way of a metaphore and not to actually make a declaration about the reality of what is going on inside of a droid.

Is an amoeba any less alive for being less complex than a human? No. So complexity does not by itself justify the notion that a droid can "escape" the confines of its programming and become sentient in the "proper," literal sense.

Any appearence of sentience is something I dismiss as quirks deliberately engineered for the sake of making droid technology more compatible with true sentients, especially depending on the intended application (protocol droids being the best example in such a case).

Concerning canonical examples of droids that are understood to be sentient (that is to have feelings as well as perceptions) is something that I would attribute to malware or a virus or a glitch or whatever. The tech is complex enough that it generally must be hand waived anyway, so an manifestations of a problem (such as a berserker droid) can be equally hand waived in either direction.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Haha! So it seems I read between lines that did not exist. Silly me. But since we are here now...

With regard to the questions you answerd, I would more or less answer the same with one exception and a caveat to that exception:

I do not consider droids to be sentient, but rather to have programming that mimicks sentience.

The caveat is this: Droids do "percieve" insofar as they have sensors and their programming may allow them to interpret their perceptions, but we understand that the language used to explain this (I.e. "perceive" and "interpret", etc) is used for the sake of relating a concept by way of a metaphore and not to actually make a declaration about the reality of what is going on inside of a droid.

Is an amoeba any less alive for being less complex than a human? No. So complexity does not by itself justify the notion that a droid can "escape" the confines of its programming and become sentient in the "proper," literal sense.

Any appearence of sentience is something I dismiss as quirks deliberately engineered for the sake of making droid technology more compatible with true sentients, especially depending on the intended application (protocol droids being the best example in such a case).

It's obvious the distinction between evolved biological sentience and artificially simulated sentience is important to you, but I feel it hardly matters. If you want to split hairs, I can agree to the point of some droids being virtually sentient, or sentient for all intents and purposes.

They are intentionally that because they were hand waived into existence by George Lucas as that. From a real world perspective looking at Star Wars droids from a dramatic/literary/cinematic sense, the higher functioning droids are functionally sentient characters in the story. They were written in the screenplays as sentient beings, and sentience is a real world human definition, so it is not incorrect for us real world humans to apply it droid characters.

It is what it is, but please don't read anything into that. Being artificially sentient does not mean droids are necessarily "entitled" to anything more than being the commercial products they were designed to be. Some droids in particular such as protocol droids were even designed to be artificially sentient right from initial activation for the reasons we agree upon.

Naaman wrote:
Concerning canonical examples of droids that are understood to be sentient (that is to have feelings as well as perceptions) is something that I would attribute to malware or a virus or a glitch or whatever. The tech is complex enough that it generally must be hand waived anyway, so an manifestations of a problem (such as a berserker droid) can be equally hand waived in either direction.

I can appreciate that Star Wars fans each appreciate the films differently. I personally enjoy the droid characters in the films very much. From the very beginning, the foundations of the EU such as the Brian Daley novels and WEG did not go the route of the film droids being very rare exceptions to the rule. They extrapolated and introduced many other droid characters with functional sentience, emotions, personality, quirks, etc. You may not like your SWU like that. I do. Many other fans and GMs I know do too. It's fun. To each GM his own.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Tinman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you really seem to be wondering about is droid personality programming, which is covered somewhat in Cynabar's Fantastic Technology: Droids. Designing a Complex droid personality from scratch is one of the most difficult feats of droid programming (Heroic if using Droid Programming, or Very Difficult if using (A) Droid Engineering.) A droid with that level of personality programming at least seems to be completely sentient, and it's common for protocol droid models.

If you consider sentience as a combination of intelligence, self awareness and consciousness, it might be possible to take this a step further. One might install an HDT database on the droid model in question, which is a thing covered in the rules. That would give a droid as much "awareness" of what it is as could be granted. (This wouldn't merely be putting a schematic into its memory, an HDT database would grant it a Scholar skill specialization for its own model: Theory, application, construction, deployment and operational parameters.)

If you really wanted to go a step further than this, you might try programming that droid with the rudiments of (A) Droid Engineering. Provided that the droid had SkillWare installed granting it the appropriate levels of Droid Repair and Droid Programming (5D each,) in theory one could do this. It would allow the droid to actually consider its own mechanical and computational existence in a holistic sense. You'd also end up with a droid which has the potential to "evolve," granted the right set of equipment and materials. That's assuming it didn't accidentally sabotage itself in the process of trying to improve itself.

So you'd wind up with something which could reasonably be called both intelligent and self aware. True consciousness might come about as a result of that, over time, or it might not.

The remaining question would be why anyone other than a mad droid engineer might do something like this. However, that might be a really entertaining plot device, or even a player character motivation. I would assume there are probably scientists who study the behavior of droids, the same as there are people studying the possibility of machine intelligence in robots in the real world. Maybe something like an AI psychologist?
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you get Tom Selleck in Runaway (1984).

Last edited by Zarn on Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tinman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn wrote:
No, you get Tom Selleck in Runaway (1984).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Selleck play a human in that movie? If I recall right, that film didn't even involve the concept of artificial intelligence, just an unscrupulous scientist who decided to profit from military applications of robotics technology.

The subject of AI in science fiction (or real life) is a bit touchy, owing to the fact that there are luddites and some varieties of humanists who'll get rather upset over the idea. However, that doesn't mean it can't make very interesting plot material, if you're familiar enough with your players to know how they're going to take it. With some people it's just a bad subject.

That's somewhat reflected in the Star Wars universe too. Many people really don't like the idea of droids performing certain tasks, acting or thinking too independently, or even being used in certain roles. Industrial Automaton's Pilot Droid model was a market flop largely because individuals and governments really don't like the idea of droids acting as sole pilots for spacecraft, for instance. (The permits involved in putting a droid in this role are expensive and involve jumping through a lot of legal hoops.)

The Clone Wars probably had a lot to do with this, considering that a large part of the Separatist forces consisted of droids. Palpatine didn't continue this practice into the Imperial era, likely because even he might not have been able to weather the backlash of public opinion which had formed against the use of military droids.

However, just because most companies design droid personalities for subservience and motivation toward the tasks the model is engineered for, that doesn't necessarily mean a droid programmer or engineer with enough experience to do personality programming couldn't design a droid with independence in mind. Most people would probably just take an extremely dim view of it. In at least one instance (the IG series) it seems to have happened by accident. (It's not really well understood what went wrong there, but it at least seems to have been the result of a serious error in programming.)

Last edited by Tinman on Wed May 04, 2016 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Whill

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinman and Zarn, great insights guys.

Tinman wrote:
The Clone Wars probably had a lot to do with this, considering that a large part of the Separatist forces consisted of droids. Palpatine didn't continue this practice into the Imperial era, likely because even he might not have been able to weather the backlash of public opinion which had formed against the use of military droids.

Yeah, Wuhur's family could have been killed by battle droids! Seriously, the victors write the history, and the Clone Wars could have been so named to remind everyone that it was the clone army (which became Imperial stormtroopers) that saved the galaxy from the droid (and Jedi) rebellions.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: