The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Wars Rebels, Star Destroyers and new players
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Star Wars Rebels, Star Destroyers and new players Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rusharn
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the stormies will get around to using smoke or chemical grenades, but the group is still learning so one surprise tactic at a time. Wink
Theodrim
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play it as a complete crapshoot, depending on shift, day, location, and the like. Not every Imperial customs officer is a complete moron, but on the other hand they're not going to put their most attentive, perceptive, gung-ho officer on the night shift in some Outer Rim backwater.
Rusharn
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Customs officers are much more variable that security and command officers in military bases and star destroyers. Through, players with some streetwise, planetary systems knowledge, law enforcement, investigations or Bureaucracy can get a pulse on how strictly the Empire enforces laws on said system or planet. Some times Customs officers are very lax, other times on planets that have tactical importance they are draconian and highly efficient. But when it comes to Military Bases and High Value Military star ships My players will find only the best the Empire has to offer there because that is where you get the biggest payoff and prizes should you succeed in a mission against those targets.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also play the Imperial military as competant.

Some ideas;
1) Use NPCs, both rebels and rogues, to describe their past failures in dealing with Imperials...give several examples from different groups.
2) Don't allow your players on to a star destroyer. Have the outer security forces sound the alert and the ship be sealed before they can enter.
3) Have the local hypernews channel report several ships have attempted to break the quarentine with one destroyed and all the rest captured.
4) Have them instructed by a retired Imperial naval officer on how and why it's impossible to board a star destroyer (numbers of troops, drills, failures).
5) If they're going to use player knowledge to make their plans, have their player knowledge ridiculed in game as 'rebel propoganda'.
6) If after all that they still wish to try, let them. Especially if you'd like a new set of characters. It'd be best to allow one or two of the old characters to escape (with bounties of course and excellent images from imperial security systems) so they can instruct the new guys why that was a bad idea.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusharn wrote:
Customs officers are much more variable that security and command officers in military bases and star destroyers. Through, players with some streetwise, planetary systems knowledge, law enforcement, investigations or Bureaucracy can get a pulse on how strictly the Empire enforces laws on said system or planet. Some times Customs officers are very lax, other times on planets that have tactical importance they are draconian and highly efficient. But when it comes to Military Bases and High Value Military star ships My players will find only the best the Empire has to offer there because that is where you get the biggest payoff and prizes should you succeed in a mission against those targets.

Additionally, even if an imperial office is corrupt enough to take bribes, say to ignore you bringing in contraband, or having a Hutt bounty (just not imperial), going for stealing such a large image of imperial might such as a star destroyer is going to get ALL of them to ignore that..
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Rusharn wrote:

Additionally, even if an imperial office is corrupt enough to take bribes, say to ignore you bringing in contraband, or having a Hutt bounty (just not imperial), going for stealing such a large image of imperial might such as a star destroyer is going to get ALL of them to ignore that..

"You DID steal an Imperial Star Destroyer and space the crew. Are you sure you can't find TWO tickets to Sy Snoodles for me to let you off with a warning for Dust possession?"
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really have any strong feelings about this subject, but I thought I'd drop something in as Devil's Advocate.

The Star Wars RPG is about playing a setting based on a shared narrative. The narrative of the old guard is based on the books, the Original Trilogy, and the sourcebooks we've had on the shelf for 20 years. The young blood has a different shared narrative, i.e., the SWR.

The question is not how to break their shared narrative, but whether or not it is in the long-term best interest of your game to do so. Consider the possibility of playing within the setting they are familiar. If breaking into military compound is challenging but doable in SWR, and if you are playing in that time frame, then consider modeling what you've seen on film.

The Empire is the dominant military force in the galaxy and is facing little opposition at the time. So maybe they are lax or lazy with their protocols. Perhaps the hardened military machine with robust security protocols is based on the infiltration they've suffered from your PCs and NPCs seen in SWR.

It also allows the Imperials to get tougher and tougher to infiltrate as the narrative progresses and the bone up their protocols to match what we've come to expect.

Just an idea. Do with it as you will.
Ning Leihrec
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The characters in Star Wars Rebels are way more experienced than typical noobs, very well equipped, and are aided by 2-3 Jedi. If your players get to that level maybe then they'll have a shot at a Star Destroyer. Till then, set your tone as ruthlessly as you like. If you lose a few players over their own bad judgement they were probably too delicate for the style of game you run anyway. I also like my SWU a little gritty. The darker the fantasy the brighter the reward.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ning Leihrec wrote:
The characters in Star Wars Rebels are way more experienced than typical noobs, very well equipped, and are aided by 2-3 Jedi..

That's often something i have to bash into several player's heads over the years.. THeir starting characters are NOT the on screen heroes level of power.. So while yes cannon did show those heroes doing miraculous stuff, their PC's are going to find it hard if not impossible to do the same, unless they get up there in power levels. And even then, unlike the author of a novel/screen writer of a film pcs have no script immunity..
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ning Leihrec wrote:
The characters in Star Wars Rebels are way more experienced than typical noobs, very well equipped, and are aided by 2-3 Jedi. If your players get to that level maybe then they'll have a shot at a Star Destroyer.

It's not just that though. The cartoon heroes far surpass what the live action film heroes can do. In Rebels a teen apprentice of a Jedi padawan used his lightsaber to quickly and easily cut through the outer hull of a star destroyer to get inside the ship. I don't care how experienced the PCs get - They are not going to be able to that in my game. In the live action film a powerful Jedi Master needed time to get his lightsaber to make a hole through a blast door. What the heroes can do on the cartoons are just ridiculous. If a GM doesn't want his game to be that silly, then he should make that clear to players.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cartoon is a fun watch, but it is very fantastical (is that a word) IMHO.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course it is.. IMO its made more for kids, who love fantastical stuff.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Says the retired old fart active on message boards about space fantasy and dungeon fantasy. Wink
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Says the retired old fart active on message boards about space fantasy and dungeon fantasy. Wink

Hey i resemble that remark! Wink
JironGhrad
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Hey i resemble that remark! Wink

I think most here are heading in that direction.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: