The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Stupid question time! Strength rolls
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Stupid question time! Strength rolls
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject: Stupid question time! Strength rolls Reply with quote

I realize I've only been GMing this game for 20 years, so bear with me Smile

Do people round here roll a chatacter's FULL Strength to resist damage, or do they take penalties into account? For example, if you're Wounded, do you roll your full Strength of 3D, or do roll 3D-1D=2D to resist? I seem to recall reading that you always roll full strength to resist but I can't for the life of me find that rule in 2ERE.

I'm assuming whatever the answer is, it is common across all damage resistance (objects, armor, vehicles, starships)

I feel really dumb for not knowing this off he top of my head. We always take penalties into account (being Stunned is dangerous!)
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, Wound penalties explicitly do not apply to Strength Rolls to Resist Damage.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its on pg 80 under "free actions." You would think they would put this kind of thing in the damage rules, even for redundancy's sake, but... good ol' WEG. Razz
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Stupid question time! Strength rolls Reply with quote

Mojomoe wrote:
I realize I've only been GMing this game for 20 years, so bear with me Smile

Do people round here roll a chatacter's FULL Strength to resist damage, or do they take penalties into account? For example, if you're Wounded, do you roll your full Strength of 3D, or do roll 3D-1D=2D to resist? I seem to recall reading that you always roll full strength to resist but I can't for the life of me find that rule in 2ERE.

I'm assuming whatever the answer is, it is common across all damage resistance (objects, armor, vehicles, starships)

I feel really dumb for not knowing this off he top of my head. We always take penalties into account (being Stunned is dangerous!)

The ONLY time you would lower someone's strength for damage resistance is cause of disease. Wounds, MAPS etc do NOT reduce it.
Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, thanks! I'm putting together a new GM screen for personal use, and in reviewing the character damage states I realized how sloppily written and organized some of them are. While on the surface the basic states are Stunned, Wounded, Wounded Twice, Incapacitated, and Mortally Wounded, there are actually two more discrete states (Unconscious and Groggy) that the character can be in that are sort of glossed over.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mojomoe the SW3E rules currently being worked on has done a good job of describing the damage effects better.

0 or less: Unharmed
1-3 Grazed: -1D for all remaining actions this round and next round.
4-12 Wounded*: -1D to all actions until healed.
13-15 Incapacitated: As a free action before losing consciousness, the character may try to stay up with a Moderate (15) stamina roll. If successful, he may continue to act, but with a -3D If he fails, he is knocked unconscious for 10D minutes.
16-17 Mortally Wounded: The character is near death and knocked unconscious with no chance to stay conscious. Roll the characters Strength each round, the character finally dies if the roll is less than the number of minutes hes been at this level.
18+ Dead: The character has perished.

* If wounded, then wounded again the character becomes Severely Wounded: -2D on all actions until healed.

If you prefer the original progression you can use that instead: <=0, 1-3, 4-8, 9-12, 13-15, 16+.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full strength roll (+ armour) to resist damage. no penalties.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
Mojomoe the SW3E rules currently being worked on has done a good job of describing the damage effects better.

IMO that is one of the few things 1e had it right on imo.. getting more on the soak than the damage, still gets a stun result (Grazed).
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
shootingwomprats wrote:

IMO that is one of the few things 1e had it right on imo.. getting more on the soak than the damage, still gets a stun result (Grazed).

The problem with that, IMO, is that it can be very easy to "stunlock" someone... tag them again and again, never really damaging them, but knocking them down round after round.
Phalanks Balas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
garhkal wrote:
shootingwomprats wrote:

The problem with that, IMO, is that it can be very easy to "stunlock" someone... tag them again and again, never really damaging them, but knocking them down round after round.

If a character is being affected from a number of stuns equal to the number before the D for the characters Strength, the character is knocked unconscious for 2D minutes.

A day you will be facing the guns of the Black Pearl. You will know what means damned pirates !
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:

True, but it also gets rid of the whole bulletproof wookie syndrome..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: