The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Space "Submarine"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Space "Submarine"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:56 pm    Post subject: Space "Submarine" Reply with quote

Now since all (most) ship in star wars can fly in space a sub operates most of the time in hyperspace.

I am picturing perhaps a slow x20 x30 hyoerdrive, but with an ability to enter and exit hyperspace much faster than other ships.

It jups in and out of hyperspace, with some form of ability to either lay a senor mine or otherwise get real space live information while in hyperspace.

How could this be statted out, if possible?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if this is the route you want to go, you'll have to throw out a lot of what is "known" about hyperspace at this point. But if you're looking at having the "submarine" interact with ships in realspace, forget about hyperdrive multipliers, as there is no conversion formula from Space Units to Hyperdrive Multipliers, or vice versa.

The bigger obstacle is how to have it do anything useful, as sensing and attacking across the hyperspace boundary are pretty much unheard of (and functionally impossible, per at least one source).

Now, there is at least one example of objects jumping to hyperspace and remaining stationary: the stasis probes monitoring N'zoth in Black Fleet Crisis 3: Tyrant's Test. The problem there is that they were effectively blind and immobile in hyperspace. Another theoretical use is for deep space Holo-Net Relays to use this technique to "hover" in hyperspace, where their hyper-comm signals are much more effective.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Well, if this is the route you want to go, you'll have to throw out a lot of what is "known" about hyperspace at this point. But if you're looking at having the "submarine" interact with ships in realspace, forget about hyperdrive multipliers, as there is no conversion formula from Space Units to Hyperdrive Multipliers, or vice versa.

The bigger obstacle is how to have it do anything useful, as sensing and attacking across the hyperspace boundary are pretty much unheard of (and functionally impossible, per at least one source).

Now, there is at least one example of objects jumping to hyperspace and remaining stationary: the stasis probes monitoring N'zoth in Black Fleet Crisis 3: Tyrant's Test. The problem there is that they were effectively blind and immobile in hyperspace. Another theoretical use is for deep space Holo-Net Relays to use this technique to "hover" in hyperspace, where their hyper-comm signals are much more effective.

These things have been discussed extensively here before.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
These things have been discussed extensively here before.

I was somewhat pressed for time, and couldn’t recall exactly where we discussed it. Looks like I might have some time this weekend, though.

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I was somewhat pressed for time, and couldn’t recall exactly where we discussed it. Looks like I might have some time this weekend, though.

Cool. I remember discussing the hyperspace sub idea and you citing those stationary hyperspace things in the EU, which didn't sit well with my personal concept for hyperspace requiring realspace objects in hyperspace to always be moving fast, so I didn't have much to contribute to that discussion.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so, it has been discussed in multiple topics, and I couldn't narrow it down to a specific one, so here are a few links...

Hyperspace Pulsemass Generators

Hyperspace

How does Hyperspace work?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: