The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Pros / Cons of Going Prone or Kneeling
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Pros / Cons of Going Prone or Kneeling Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
I like this, too. (sorry about the thread necro Razz )

LOL, I'm guilty, too.

Quote:
Though depending on how "free form" you like to play, this might already be taken into account by RAW because going slower reduces the difficulty (which, some could say represents "crawling" across areas which are too treacherous to walk/run/sprint across).

It's been a while since I thought about this, but I still think there's something to it...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. The dodge penalty for prone/crouching could be factored in, so that there is a trade-off. And then deciding whether to crawl or walk requires an actual calculated decision based on the circumstances.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giving this a bump on account of how it ties in with my Scale System and Partial Cover house rules, mainly on account of how a character who is crouched or prone presents a reduced target silhouette and is thus both smaller in effective scale and can make better use of available Cover.

The Combat Options chapter in the D6 Space Rulebook has a lot of interesting ideas, but as it pertains to this subject, I found the following on pg. 82:
    Prone and Crouching

Attacking a target that is Crouched adds 1D to the Difficulty. If the target is Crouched while Moving, the Difficulty increases by 2D, but the defending (Crouched) character's Move is halved.

For Prone Targets, add 2D to Difficulty, but subtract 2D if at Point Blank or Short Range.

Characters who willingly get low to the ground may get into or out of the position as a Free Action. However, a character who is forced into that position (such as the result of being thrown) needs to make an effort to stand, which counts as an action.
This is somewhat paraphrased for clarity and conciseness, but there are some good points here that address things we struggled with codifying earlier on in this post. I don't agree with everything here, but thought it was worth posting anyway.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, here is an updated version of the Prone / Crouching Rules, modified for better integration with the Partial Cover and Velocity Modifier House Rules.
    Kneeling / Crouched Movement
    Increases Cover / Protection by 1/4. If combined with Partial Cover and the resulting Cover / Protection value is 1 or greater, the character is now Fully Covered.
    +1D to Sneak
    +1D to Blaster or Firearms if not moving
    Cannot Move at All-Out Speed

Prone / Crawling
    Increases Cover effectiveness by 1/2. If combined with Partial Cover and the resulting Cover / Protection value is 1 or greater, the character is now Fully Covered.
    +2D to Sneak
    +2D to Blaster or Firearms if not moving
    Move reduced by 50% (rounded up)
    -1D to Velocity Modifier (or -2D to Dodge if not using Velocity Modifier House Rule

For MAP calculation, transitioning from Standing to Crouch (or vice versa) is a Free Action, but transitioning from Standing or Crouching to Prone (or vice versa) is a Non Roll Action.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can they dodge, or is those bonuses to be 'shot at' taking the place OF the dodge?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Can they dodge, or is those bonuses to be 'shot at' taking the place OF the dodge?

This stacks with my Dodge as an Advanced Skill concept, under which the (A) Dodge skill can be stacked with either the Velocity Modifier or any existing Cover, the general concept being to nerf Dodge in favor of Cover (as is seen in most on-screen shootouts),.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fare enough.. Though what is the velocity modifier? Based on how fast someone's moving?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Fair enough.. Though what is the velocity modifier? Based on how fast someone's moving?

Yes, so the faster you’re moving, the harder you are to hit.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you made a chart for it? Is that chart split between foot based move, animmal/vehicle nbased move? Jump pack move?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Have you made a chart for it? Is that chart split between foot based move, animmal/vehicle nbased move? Jump pack move?

You really should read the links; the only thing I haven’t done is Jump Packs, and there’s enough information there that it wouldn’t be hard to do.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, this concept addresses characters crouching or going prone to decrease their silhouette and thus make themselves smaller targets. It just occurred to me that a character could also turn themselves sideways and thus present a narrower silhouette. This would probably be the least advantageous of the three options (I’m thinking 1/4 Cover, with a +2 Modifier to Difficulty), but would be useful in situations where the character is trying to take Cover behind something tall and narrow like a lamp post or telephone pole.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replied on my phone (at the library using their Wifi), so for some reason trying to pop the link open, didn't work.. Maybe they've got their wifi set up to disallow that, for security reasons...
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I replied on my phone (at the library using their Wifi), so for some reason trying to pop the link open, didn't work.. Maybe they've got their wifi set up to disallow that, for security reasons...

Weird that they’d allow you to open the Rancor Pit but not allow a link to the Rancor Pit. Anyway, the info’s all there in the other topic.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YEa, now i am at home, i checked it out... Need to re-read it a few more times.. As for the library i asked and one of the guys there, said you can directly go to a site, just not link to it via their wifi set up... or something like that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: