The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Need a spacecraft recommendation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Need a spacecraft recommendation Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn wrote:
Or perhaps a Star Pulse http://d6holocron.com/wiki/index.php?title=Star_Pulse_Medium_Freighter

Seems okay but personally, and this is just my opinion, I don't like ship stats that don't have a picture of the ship. The more visual detail the better, and interior schematics are awesome. Why? Because without visuals you have no idea what the person who thought of the ship had in mind. For example

http://images-cdn.moviepilot.com/images/c_fill,h_1360,w_1280/t_mp_quality/ddzapsksjs5crzhspyb6/new-fan-theory-reveals-how-the-millennium-falcon-got-its-name-426918.jpg
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForbinProject wrote:
Zarn wrote:
Or perhaps a Star Pulse http://d6holocron.com/wiki/index.php?title=Star_Pulse_Medium_Freighter

Seems okay but personally, and this is just my opinion, I don't like ship stats that don't have a picture of the ship. The more visual detail the better, and interior schematics are awesome. Why? Because without visuals you have no idea what the person who thought of the ship had in mind.

Seconded. At its core, the SWU is a visual universe, and part of the magic of a ship is being able to visualize it soaring through space. No visual? No visualization.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Brain wrote:
Since SW D6 has no hard rules for ship construction you also need not limit yourself to EU sources. For instance I have used this as a PC ship...https://biomassart.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/fsat.jpg/

It doesn't do Error much good without the stats. His question indicates he is looking for an existing ship, rather than one he has to make for himself.

The Brain
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

It doesn't do Error much good without the stats. His question indicates he is looking for an existing ship, rather than one he has to make for himself.

And you just assume he is somehow incapable of doing that?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Brain wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

And you just assume he is somehow incapable of doing that?

I assume that since he asked for a ship, he was disinclined to make one of his own.

Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm definitely looking for something extant. I don't mind ship models that are thousands of years old as long as they have been updated to be relevant/are still in production in some amount.

I am definitely capable of writing up my own stats, but I don't want to bother with it currently.

One of the optional requirements I didn't list in my original post is that I'd like this to be a ship that hasn't been extensively used in the movies or books or video games. Thinking of Katarn's ship was a mistake.

Anyway, I'd like it to be decently obscure.
RedKnight
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consular cruiser ? it can be operated by a crew of two but has space for more.....and it's only showed up like twice on screen (its the red ship Obiwan and Qui-gon go to Naboo on and the one that gets shot down in the first episode of the clone wars that was carrying yoda).
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nyubba-Class Barge Hauler, aka the Chubby Gundark, as seen in the Bungo & Rusti comics in the Star Wars Adventure Journal. Decently obscure, with great deckplans, and eminently customizable (just tack on a barge outfitted how you need it).

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://d6holocron.com/wiki/index.php?title=Crinya_Light_Freighter

I always liked the Crinya Light Freighter. Sort of a scaled down version of the big bulk transports leaving Hoth in ESB.

Moved my suggestion to the right thread! Yay!

On a side note, it seems alcohol and forum posting don't mix all that well.
ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries. The HWK ship is in both threads. Easy mistake to make sober or drunk.
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
The Nyubba-Class Barge Hauler, aka the Chubby Gundark, as seen in the Bungo & Rusti comics in the Star Wars Adventure Journsl. Decently obscure, with great deckplans, and eminently customizable (just tack on a barge outfitted how you need it).

Oh man, that thing is ugly. I'll consider it though. I have to give the list of 99 that a user above provided a good once-over.

Thank you everyone who has suggested one or more ships. Please keep them coming!
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
The Nyubba-Class Barge Hauler, aka the Chubby Gundark, as seen in the Bungo & Rusti comics in the Star Wars Adventure Journsl. Decently obscure, with great deckplans, and eminently customizable (just tack on a barge outfitted how you need it).

Oh man, that thing is ugly. I'll consider it though. I have to give the list of 99 that a user above provided a good once-over.

Ahem...
Error wrote:
I like starship hulls that are UGLY. Sensors, dishes, probes, all sticking right out of it. Almost like the Nostromo from the original Alien movie. There isn't really a need for a capital ship to be aerodynamic, after all.

Wink

Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Error wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

Ahem...
Error wrote:
I like starship hulls that are UGLY. Sensors, dishes, probes, all sticking right out of it. Almost like the Nostromo from the original Alien movie. There isn't really a need for a capital ship to be aerodynamic, after all.

Wink

I think I meant a different kind of ugly Wink

Thanks though...any more recommendations in that noggin of yours? I am adding another criteria: The ship may be used as a getaway vehicle here and there, so it needs to be fast.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error wrote:
Thanks though...any more recommendations in that noggin of yours? I am adding another criteria: The ship may be used as a getaway vehicle here and there, so it needs to be fast.

The Guardian 344 I mentioned back on page 1 fits both of the new criteria you've added; it's fast, and since it normally carries a squad of boarding troops, it will likely have a small armory.

Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Amazingly, they've got 99 freighters, but a Sith ain't one
If you've got Imperial cargo, I feel bad for you son
But they've got 99 freighters, but a Sith ain't one.

Laughing

I'm not a fan of Jay Z (not saying he's bad, he's just not what I listen to), but I got this reference and it made me laugh too.

And this might be tangental but still vaguely relevant: I know you asked for a ship/mobile base, Error, but if you need a more permanent bolthole that can be easily placed out of the way somewhere, then have a gander at the Lunar Surface Station on pp. 84-90 in the SWD6 book "Hideouts & Strongholds". It's almost as cramped as that pic of the HWK ship posted earlier but it has the advantages of being modular (so you can add as many living space modules as you need to easily accomodate 8-12 people), it has the capability of going dark so it won't be detected by any passing ships, and it also has a landing pad for a light freighter so your characters can evac the station if they need to. However, your characters WILL have to use EVA spacesuits to get to and from the station as the landing pad is exposed to space.

And that's just one option for a permanent base for your characters in that one sourcebook.

Last edited by Sutehp on Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: