The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

New item: "Blaster Glove"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> New item: "Blaster Glove" Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What should these be called?
Blaster gloves
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Shooting gloves
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Blaster stabilizer gloves
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Stabilizer gloves
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
Shooter's gloves
42%
 42%  [ 3 ]
Blasting gloves
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 7

Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: New item: "Blaster Glove" Reply with quote

Model: BlasTech Models 8 and 16 Blaster Stabilizer Gloves

Type: Glove worn on the hand to assist with blaster operations

Scale: Character

Skill: DEX

Difficulty: Very easy

Cost: For Model 8s, 1D+3 x 10 credits on worlds through the Mid Rim, then 3D+3 x 10 credits from there on out; for Model 16s, 2D x 100 credits on worlds included in the Core regions and Colonies, then 3D+2 x 100 credits from there on out

Availability: 2

Game notes:
- Blaster gloves are basically altered utility gloves that have things like a weak magnetic field, kinetic tensors, and specially engineered gripping material. The Model 8 gloves grant +1 to the users Blaster skill, and the Model 16 gloves grant +2.
- Only a single glove is required for a user to experience this effect. Gloves also do not stack; rather they grant the highest modifier among them (so two +1 gloves = +1).
- These gloves are only manufactured for human hands of varying size, and it would take a very difficult Armor repair roll for someone to alter a given glove to fit a non-human hand. Failing this roll also destroys the glove.

Special Abilities:
One-handed blaster rifle:
The Model 16 gloves allow you to fire most blaster carbines and rifles with one hand.

Last edited by Error on Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:58 pm; edited 4 times in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice write up, but why would a glove grip give a bonus to shoot with it??
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Nice write up, but why would a glove grip give a bonus to shoot with it??
Well, first there's the element of Space Pulp, and then the explanation that it helps you stabilize as you take aim.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How so though? Also since they are powered, how much of charge do they hold/how often do they need a recharge?
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
How so though? Also since they are powered, how much of charge do they hold/how often do they need a recharge?

They're not "powered" in the sense that you have to turn them on. But the low energy they do use comes from kinetic movements. Just like kinetic watches, these gloves recharge with your movements. No charging necessary.

What's with the questions? lol. It's a Star Wars item...the explanation in the write up should be sufficient. How do blasters work? Lightsabers? Hyperdrives? We have always been dealing with fictional technology as long as we've been in the SWU. There isn't a need for uber-detailed statements like "Then ten millivolts go through it, but since it's made of polyvalent hexafluorinate trioxide, there is resistance; so the engineers solved this by converting electricity to light, and then routed it through a network of optical fiber on the backside of the glove..."

I can relate to being attentive to detail and wanting to know how things work. I usually WAY overdo the details when I write up items like this (or characters).

Just take it at face value that there is a fictional glove in a fictional universe that helps a fictional character fire a fictional gun at another fictional character. Wink
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some folks like harder sci-fi in their Star Wars.

Personally, I like the idea that it helps steady your aim, correcting for minor tremors and the tendency to pull, not squeeze, the trigger. Even eliminating the slight barrel climb due to that would help the tiny bit these gloves do.

I would like an explanation as to why they only fit thr broadly human-sized, though. No one is making them for Gammoreans? Or Rodians?
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems like a great piece of gear for the Imperials to install in their armor profiles. Storm Troopers getting a little bonus. Stack this with MFTAS, and even your standard troops are getting an extra little boost.

Also, I could see military versions built into armor to keep non-authorized personnel from being able to use the armor. The trigger finger locks against pulling if an unauthorized user tries to wear the armor.

I'll be borrowing this concept for my Imperial Navy Commando armor.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
This seems like a great piece of gear for the Imperials to install in their armor profiles. Storm Troopers getting a little bonus. Stack this with MFTAS, and even your standard troops are getting an extra little boost.

Also, I could see military versions built into armor to keep non-authorized personnel from being able to use the armor. The trigger finger locks against pulling if an unauthorized user tries to wear the armor.

It also helps explain why they're just for human-likes... Imperial contract and exclusivity.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error wrote:

What's with the questions? lol. It's a Star Wars item...the explanation in the write up should be sufficient.

As CrmC can attest to i grill him like crazy on stuff.. Its all so any potential issues are worked out BEFORE they get introduced..

Raven Redstar wrote:

I agree. Having it part of the standard imperial body glove might be out of the order, but for special groups, such as storm commandos, veteran trooper units, i can see it being used..

MrNexx wrote:
It also helps explain why they're just for human-likes... Imperial contract and exclusivity.

In which case shouldn't the availability be like 3X or R??
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Error wrote:

What's with the questions? lol. It's a Star Wars item...the explanation in the write up should be sufficient.

As CrmC can attest to i grill him like crazy on stuff.. Its all so any potential issues are worked out BEFORE they get introduced..

Raven Redstar wrote:

I agree. Having it part of the standard imperial body glove might be out of the order, but for special groups, such as storm commandos, veteran trooper units, i can see it being used..

MrNexx wrote:

In which case shouldn't the availability be like 3X or R??

No worries, questions help me clarify the specifics of an item both on paper and in my head. But once I play the "Space Pulp" card, I'm probably done explaining 8)

Their availability is 2 because humans and blasters are both ubiquitous in the SWU. This is something you could pick up from a side vendor at just about any spaceport. Nine times out of ten, you could at least get a Model 8 version (the +1 one) wherever your PC's are getting their power packs. The nicer model is slightly less common, but again, it's still something you could find in any spaceport for like an easy Search roll.

I'm going to go with "BlasTech has made the decision to only make them for humans," but that's not stopping other companies from reverse-engineering them and making them for other species. I would totally expect that to happen. I would also expect to see them find use within the military, where the bonus would be particularly valuable because during combat adrenaline surges and you tremor, sweat, and do other things that f*ck with your aim. It would also help negate that -1D to DEX that most armors come pre-packaged with.

Glad you guys like the concept! I plan to keep designing.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me of the gloves in Splinter Cell; they gave you a bonus to aim, IIRC
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

I agree. Having it part of the standard imperial body glove might be out of the order, but for special groups, such as storm commandos, veteran trooper units, i can see it being used...

I disagree, the Imperial Military could get the units for as little as 200 credits retail for the improved version. I would imagine that if the Imperial military came and asked for a bulk shipment wholesale, BlasTech would have little option but to agree.
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
garhkal wrote:

I agree. Having it part of the standard imperial body glove might be out of the order, but for special groups, such as storm commandos, veteran trooper units, i can see it being used...

I disagree, the Imperial Military could get the units for as little as 200 credits retail for the improved version. I would imagine that if the Imperial military came and asked for a bulk shipment wholesale, BlasTech would have little option but to agree.

If the Empire (or any institution, really) were interested in obtaining these blaster gloves in the range of thousands to tens of thousands, BlasTech would probably price them at cost + 50%. So that would make the Model 8's cost 45 credits each, and the Model 16's would be 90 credits each. I would say the minimum order to get such prices would be 5,000 units total between the two available models.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And then for the added safety feature, you add on an extra 50-100 credits.
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
And then for the added safety feature, you add on an extra 50-100 credits.

Nice, what do you have in mind?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: