The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Dark Side Points?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Dark Side Points? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Ben
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Dark Side Points? Reply with quote

I have a disagreement with a player. He'd using force skills for a lot of simple stuff. Concentrate on this, concentrate on that, magnify senses for no particular reason, etc.

At what point do you enforce the codes of giving out dark side points for using the force for personal gain? Only for taking money? Or is concentrating on fixing your blaster a good enough reason?

ANYTHING can be rationalized away as doing it for other people. "well, if I don't save my life bad things will happen to my friends so I need to concentrate on shooting a stormtrooper in the face".

It's my first time DMing and the player keeps pushing the limit.s
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What time period are you playing in? If it's the prequel area, or earlier, then have other Jedi show up and lecture the guy, ad naseum, on the lazy use of the Force leading to the Dark Side. If it's during the reign of the Empire, then his casual use of the Force will attract the attention of people that want him dead (Vader, The Emperor, Grand Inquisitors, etc). If it's after that, then Luke might get on him, and if he's not of the type to listen to Luke, then start going "strictly by the book" on him, so if there's any thing that's questionable, give warnings about the Dark Side, and if he keeps it up, give him DSPs. Shooting a stormtrooper is one thing. Shooting him in the face is spiteful, something akin of anger, and therefore of the Dark Side. Concentrating to fix his blaster is one thing. Concentrating to win a gambling hand to get more money is greed, which is of the Dark Side. Doing it once, shame on him. Doing is twice, shame on you. Doing it three times, someone needs some Dark Side points.

Hope this helps.
Kehlin Yew
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well-put Grimace, i totally agree.
Why was a Jedi shooting someone in the face anyway!? If it was an accident, then he should feel bad, but on purpose, i believe that should be a DSP.

But in the end, the repremands(sp?) are up to the GM, so it's your choice what to do bro.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A PC should not have to use the Force in order to repair their weapons. Concentration does grant an extra 4D to accomplish a task, but their looking at doing two tasks in a round so you might as well say their only getting a 3D bonus towards the skill their looking to use if they make a succesfull Control roll since they loose -1D for that skill according to the example given in the second edition, revised and expanded, core book. They should probably also loose -1D for their Control roll for that round because their attempting two actions. It would make it harder for them to actually succeed at using the Concentration Force power.

But at the same time, is repairing a blaster really an evil action? Is taking money an evil action? The later could certainly be viewed as a petty crime, one which could lead to worse crimes that are certainly going to be deserving of Dark Side Points. But the frivalous use of the Force is really something that should not be allowed to occur often. Suggest to him that perhaps it is not the light side that he's turning when using the Force frivolusly so often. Or perhaps you suggest that he needs to make a certain difficulty number and you don't tell him what that number is so that you can decide whether he made it or not. As Kehlin said, your the GM so it's really up to you what you do.

Wanted Poster
Akari
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont have the power description for Concentration handy, but as far as I remember this works only for actions that can be completed in a single round, because its not listed as a power that can be kept up... I might be wrong about this though.

I personally would never allow a player I don't know and fullly trust to play a force user anyway. This can lead to all sorts of bad things I wouldn't really want in my campaign.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akari's right, I just checked after seeing what he said. In fact at the very end of the description for Concentration it says it's effect only lasts one round and may not be kept up. So if he wants to use Concentration on something that's going to take multiple rounds to complete, then he needs to reroll it each round resulting in his probably having to reroll the skill as well to be able to Concentrate on it. Which might as well mean he doesn't get the job done because he keeps stopping and starting.

Wanted Poster
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Dark Side Points? Reply with quote

Lord Ben wrote:
I have a disagreement with a player. He'd using force skills for a lot of simple stuff. Concentrate on this, concentrate on that, magnify senses for no particular reason, etc.

Personally, I don't see a problem with this. Why do you object? There's nothing evil about this. If you want to limit this, send him a hint that his constant use of the force is creating ripples others can feel, then send a Jedi hunter after him. Or how about a cut scene/force vision? Cutaway: Emperor speaking with Darth Vader: "I sense a disturbance in the force eminating from the Orel Sector. We may have a new enemy." Darth Vader: "I sense it also." Emperor: "Investigate and report what you find." Vader" "Yes, my master." That would probably limit his force use some - even if Vader doesn't find him, but the player only has to deal with hightened security everywhere while the underworld reports the Imperials are looking for someone "special".

Lord Ben wrote:
At what point do you enforce the codes of giving out dark side points for using the force for personal gain? Only for taking money? Or is concentrating on fixing your blaster a good enough reason?

When he starts to get rich. When he serves himself more than the Rebellion. Concentrating on fixing his blaster sounds reasonable to me. Again, why do you object?

Lord Ben wrote:
ANYTHING can be rationalized away as doing it for other people. "well, if I don't save my life bad things will happen to my friends so I need to concentrate on shooting a stormtrooper in the face". It's my first time DMing and the player keeps pushing the limit.s

Is the character speaking the truth? You, as Director must play the role of the force. You decide if what he's doing is heroic or not.

Sometimes, if the players are not doing what the Director thinks the players should be doing, it may be because the Director is not giving the players enough information/options.

Try correcting this problem "in game". Give the player belivable reasons why they should not do what you do not wish them to do. A character that uses the force this much could be identified by others. The bums recognize him as a Jedi and ask for his help. The local criminals attempt extortion before reporting him - his face on a wanted poster will bring all kinds of bounty hunters. 25,000 credits is a lot of moolah. An underground news net reporter could do an expose on "The last Jedi - were they just misunderstood?" Yes, the player has the force. The Director has the entire Star Wars universe. Just don't operate in a "I'm going to get you" mode. Operate in a "The player has opened up a new adventure" mode.

As for being a New Director, open up my profile. Search for all my posts, then read anything marked with a Idea . These are all ideas/advice for new Directors. But my best advice is this: Have fun telling a good story. But always remember, the director writes half the story, the players write the other half. Now if the player chooses to play a Jedi who doesn't know how to hide...

Last edited by Volar the Healer on Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Lord Ben
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The part of the text I'm concerned with is this part:

-------------------------
Responsible Use of Power. Inherent in the Jedi Code is the concept of responsibility for one's actions. A Jedi who uses Force powers to coerce or control others is surely tending toward the dark side. But other, more
subtle abuses of power also lead to the darkness — Jedi should never use their powers for fame, wealth or power. A Jedi who constantly uses the Force for personal gain is on the path of corruption — perhaps more slowly than the Dark Jedi who chooses to serve evil, but she is on that path nonetheless. True Jedi use their powers sparingly and only when necessary to fulfill the tenets of the Jedi Code. A Jedi who depends on Force powers is abusing them, which leads to folly.
-----------------------

There are 2 force users in the party and 3-4 non-force users. I don't mind the Jedi being more powerful, but I want to take very seriously the RP restrictions against using their powers constantly and for every little thing.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to take these restrictions seriously, then do so. Perhaps then, you should play the role of the Dark Side and actively attempt to lure the abusive Jedi to his destruction.

What if you gave one Jedi good advice and the other bad? Done subtly, this should raise questions between them (if they're paying attention). I have sometimes refused to answer player's questions "out of game". When pressed, my only respose was "Will the young padawan, berift of his master's guidance, learn the ways of the force? Or will he fall into darkness? Tune in next week..." This is a subtle way to "suggest" your PCs are doing something wrong in a way that they'll start looking for what it might be.

Your players wanted to play Jedi. Remember, the Jedi's worst enemy is themselves.
TheFamousTommyZ
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go with what Volar said.

Or, in other words, with great power does come great responsibility and an incredible temptation to abuse that power.

Of course, I say this as a prospective GM...I've sat on the other side of the screen and tried to make my arguments that what I was doing wasn't REALLY evil or "dark"...=)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Lord Ben
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it's also a little bit of the "I try to do the jump to hyperspace, and I concentrate on it, and I'll be calm so the roll is easy" part that bugs me.

Now if he said "I calm myself and feel the force around me, thinking of nothing but the jump to hyperspace. I close my eyes and reach for the hyperspace lever" Then it would bother me far less.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idea There is nothing that requires the Director to answer a player's question - especially in the middle of a game. I tell all new players that I tell the players what their characters see. I often tell one character one thing, and another something completly different; depending upon the character's background and their PER/search rolls, then expect the players to act on it. I never use "rules terminology" while I run a game. My players say they can close their eyes and see the events occuring around them because I try to cover all 5 senses during these desctiptions.

In fact there's nothing that requires the Director to answer his player's questions at all. How about "Your master was going to answer that question, but Vader found him first. You must discover the answer on your own."

To answer your question more directly here are some excerpts from one of our games:

Jedi: What do I learn from my receptive telepathy on their commander last round?
Director: You reach out with the force, but cannot find the commander's thoughts.
Jedi: But wait (looking in the rule book). I rolled a 23! That's good enough to do what I want.
Director: (to the group) The Jedi appears to be consulting a datapad as the stormtroopers close to medium range. Tyree, what are YOU doing?
--and--
Jedi: How does this power work, again? Can I do this?
Director: You remember your master's instruction: Do or do not. But make a decision young padawan!

Sometimes allowing the player to experience some of the character's learning can help the play of the game.

Yelling CUT! then docking him one character point everytime he quotes a game statistic also helps a player to "get into the moment". Just remember to reset the scene and yell "Lights, Camera, Action!"
Lord Ben
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's difficult to say because in a game system using your anger to strike down someone like Vader or the Emperor is considered "evil" too.

So obviously the morality in a foce user is a bit different than non-force users. That's why not everyone decides to be force sensitive.
Esjs
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Ben wrote:
I guess it's also a little bit of the "I try to do the jump to hyperspace, and I concentrate on it, and I'll be calm so the roll is easy" part that bugs me.

Now if he said "I calm myself and feel the force around me, thinking of nothing but the jump to hyperspace. I close my eyes and reach for the hyperspace lever" Then it would bother me far less.

I've played with someone like your above example, and I see how it feels "abusive." The only thing I can say about that is this: the GM decides the difficulties, not the players. The difficulties for Concentration are
    Very Easy if the Jedi is "at peace."
    Difficult if the Jedi is experiencing "negative feelings"
    Very Difficult if the Jedi is "acting on negative feelings"

It's the up to the GM to size up the character in the given situation, and maybe even make a judgement call on what the character might be feeling.
I find it unlikely that the character is "calm" or "at peace" during combat situations, but look at the behavior of the Jedi character in previous combats. The actions of the character would speak louder than the player's words. Has the Jedi PC been quick to attack in combat (which would be "not calm")? Or has he tried more peaceful measure before resorting to the lightsaber (more "calm")?

My point is, saying "I'll be calm so the roll is easy" may sound abusive, but use the context of the PC and past behaviors to decide if s/he truly is calm. If you decide that the PC is calm, then the player just has a bad way of wording things.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto. How can the character be "at peace" when the player is not?

When the player decides his character is "at peace", have him roll will power - but the director sets the difficulty.

Tell the player you will only allow him the bonus for "being calm" if he acts it out (role plays it), otherwise his character can't have the calm bonus.

Try other things like this to get the player to role play and not roll play.

PC1: Great! Another stupid custom inspector.
Custom Inspector: What!? You dare show a lack of respect for Imperial authority?
PC1: No! My character didn't say that out loud!
Director: Your character says what you say.
Custom Inspector: Your documents are not in order! Commander, inspect this ship and report ANY irregularity!
PC2: (to PC1) Shut up! (to Inspector) Why, yes Sir! I'd be happy to cooperate. Ignore my companion, He hasn't been right since that tool box fell on him...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: