The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Obscure Character Archive!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Obscure Character Archive! Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreenSnaggletooth wrote:
Great write up on Zutmore! I've always had a soft spot for Snivvians!

Welcome to the Pit, GreenSnaggle!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:54 pm    Post subject: KIERAH "GUNNY" KOOVAH and MIMBANESE species stats! Reply with quote

GreenSnaggletooth wrote:
Great write up on Zutmore! I've always had a soft spot for Snivvians!
Whill wrote:
Welcome to the Pit, GreenSnaggle!

Thank you for the kind words, Green Snaggletooth! I'm glad you dug the write-up.

And we each have a SW species that we have a soft spot for, even if they're not exactly one's "favorite", no? Off of the top of my head, for me, it might be... Aqualish? They're not my favorite, but for whatever reason I'm fond of them.

And I second Whill's welcome — glad to have you here in the Pit!

Ray wrote:
Oh oh oh!!! Do Gunny next!

And by special request, here is GUNNY, Vanguard Leader, from Star Wars: Squadrons — along with MIMBANESE species stats!

And while Alphabet Squadron is, hands down, my favorite group of pilots in new canon, I definitely dig the members of Vanguard Squadron as well! As they're all well regarded for their skill and bravery in-universe, the Vanguard Squadron team is, for me, relatively close to one another in terms of piloting skill — with the exception of Force Sensitive Mirialan KEO. What with their five Dragon Void racing championships, Keo is a character I'd put in the 7D to 7D+2 range for starfighter piloting and repulsorlift ops, with 6D-7D in starship gunnery. Off the top of my head, maybe a 7D+2/6D+2 split between piloting and gunnery.

KIERAH "GUNNY" KOOVAH
Type: Veteran Freedom Fighter

Quotes:
  • "Finally, a chance to get acquainted. Like I said, the name's Gunny. Stay sharp, keep your nose clean and we'll be off to a good start."

• "We had comm blackouts like this right before the Empire invaded Mimban. Lost a lot of friends. But I learned to shoot a blaster."

• "Best advice I can give you is this: stick with your squadron. It's simple, but sometimes hot shots and lone wolves need to hear it."

• "I remember the first time I was trapped behind enemy lines. It was the Battle of Mimban. The first year of the Clone Wars. The Separatists had dropped a battalion of B2 droids on the Nanth flatlands, cutting us off from the 224th Clone division.

A thunderstorm was jamming communications, so I took a sky-hopper to rendezvous with the 2-2-4, hoping to get some reinforcements.

It didn't go well.

I was halfway across the flatlands when those droids shot me down. Believe me, you have never seen a finer crash landing. Only problem was, my arm got caught in some wreckage. Figured I'd rather live my life with one arm than sit around and wait for those droids to find me.

Besides, you only need one hand to carry a blaster, right?

I dragged myself out of the flatlands with only one arm and a seriously sour disposition. I guarantee, those clone boys had never seen anything like me before. But they fixed me up. Then they helped us drive those blasted droids right off-planet. If only I'd known that three years later, those clones would be replaced by stormtroopers."

DEXTERITY 2D+2
Blaster 5D, brawling parry 4D, dodge 4D+2, grenade 4D,
melee combat 4D+2, melee combat: vibrobayonet 5D+2,
melee parry 4D+1, running 3D+2, vehicle blasters 5D
KNOWLEDGE 2D+2
Alien species 4D, cultures: squadrons/squads 5D+2, languages 4D,
intimidation 4D, planetary systems 5D+2, survival 6D+1, tactics 4D,
tactics: guerilla warfare 4D+2, value 4D, willpower 6D+2
MECHANICAL 3D+1
Astrogation 5D, communications 4D+2, repulsorlift operation 5D+2,
sensors 4D+2, space transports 5D, space transports: U-wing 6D+1,
starfighter piloting 5D+2, starship gunnery 5D+2
PERCEPTION 3D+1
Command 5D+2, command: Vanguard Squadron 7D+2,
hide 5D+1, persuasion 4D+1, search 4D+1, sneak 5D+1
STRENGTH 3D+1
Brawling 4D+2, climbing/jumping 4D+2, lifting 4D, stamina 6D+2
TECHNICAL 2D+2
Blaster repair 4D, demolitions 4D+2, equipment repair 4D+2,
first aid 3D+2, space transport repair 4D, starfighter repair 4D

Species: Mimbanese
Homeworld: Mimban

Force Points: 1
Character Points: 10
Move: 10

Special Abilities and Story Factors:
  • Cybernetic Arm: Gunny lost her left arm during the Clone Wars and now has a cybernetic replacement. Although the limb functions more like a standard replacement, rather than one which grants much in the way of increased durability, Gunny's cybernetic arm is nonetheless a slightly sturdier appendage than her original organic one — despite its jury-rigged, protocol-droid-like appearance. Sturdier... except for the exposed piston/strut support structure, that is. In game terms, Gunny gains an overall +1D to Strength when resisting damage done to her left arm. However, if the exposed piston/strut support structure is specifically targeted, an attack that incurs a +1D penalty to its difficulty to hit, then the +1D bonus to Strength is not only ignored, any resulting damage to the cybernetic arm (but not to Gunny herself) is *increased* by +1D instead.

• Former P.O.W.: With a gruff yet supportive way about her, Gunny shows no readily-apparent psychological scars from her time as a prisoner-of-war, except perhaps for an ever more resolute commitment to defeat the Empire. Nonetheless, it is unclear as to whether or not the Mimbanese freedom fighter suffers PTSD or similar lasting, lingering effects to her psyche. At the very least, her time as both a prisoner and a veteran guerilla soldier, inform her tenure with the Rebellion, and serve as a driving force in how hard she pushes herself and her squadron.

• Low-light Vision: The large, unblinking eyes of the Mimbanese have biologically adapted to low-light conditions, making them well suited to subterranean life. In game terms, due to their low-light vision, Mimbanese characters may ignore 2D in darkness-based penalties for actions regarding objects or targets at distances of 30 meters or greater from their position, and they may ignore 3D in darkness-based penalties for actions related to objects or targets closer than 30 meters away.

• Stealth: The Mimbanese are said to have an "unsettling" ability to disappear in the muck and murk of Mimban, despite their bright red skin and traditional red garments. This is because the Mimbanese have become adept at adorning themselves with thatch camouflage over the many years of war, allowing them to hide in, and move unseen through, even sparse underbrush. In game terms, at creation Mimbanese characters who grow up in Mimban's war-torn environs gain 2D for every 1D of starting skill dice allotted to their hide and sneak skills.

• Tough Mudder: The Mimbanese are intimately familiar with mud fields, muck and mire. And their powerful limbs do not tire when pushing through the mud and clay of the battlefield. In game terms, Mimbanese characters may re-roll failed climbing/jumping and stamina checks when traversing yielding terrain such as mud fields, rainforests, and swamps — although they must accept the second result. In addition, when in muddy environs, the difficulty for survival rolls required of Mimbanese characters is reduced by one difficulty level.

Capsule: Kierah “Gunny” Koovah is a veteran’s veteran, losing an arm during the Clone Wars, serving as a freedom fighter on Mimban, and surviving life as a prisoner of war. She’s continued the battle for galactic freedom ever since. Experienced, pragmatic, and gruff, Gunny has one goal left before retirement: train these youngsters in Vanguard Squadron so the galaxy finally has a chance at peace. As Vanguard Leader, she’s tough on the Empire, but even tougher on herself.

Equipment: Datapad, flight helmet with retractable polarizing visor (prevents flashblinding), lower-leg bandolier with signal flares, interstellar orange Rebel Alliance vacuum suit (equipped with Guidenhauser ejection harness and Novaldex Diagnostech life support unit), modified BlasTech F-78 blaster rifle equipped with vibrobayonet, passage-documents-dedicated datapad (contains ID and sealed mission orders), wrist-mounted comlink beacon, U-wing starfighter.

Sources: Star Wars: Squadrons video game, https://www.starwars.com/databank/gunny , https://youtu.be/JXnCeXNeoQw ("What are you Gunny?! - Star Wars Squadrons - Part 2"), https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jctlxC0lQPc&ab_channel=RedSunGamer ("Gunny's Arm Backstory"), Solo: A Star Wars Story: The Official Guide by Pablo Hidalgo (p.38-41), and Wookieepedia. Capsule text adapted from https://www.starwars.com/databank/gunny . Images: Star Wars: Squadrons video game screen captures. Stats and additional original text by Telsij.

MIMBANESE
Homeworld: Mimban

Attribute Dice: 12D
DEXTERITY: 1D+1/4D
KNOWLEDGE: 1D/4D
MECHANICAL: 1D/3D+2
PERCEPTION: 1D/4D
STRENGTH: 1D+2/4D+2
TECHNICAL: 1D/3D+2

Move: 10/12

Special Abilities and Story Factors:
  • Low-light Vision: The large, unblinking eyes of the Mimbanese have biologically adapted to low-light conditions, making them well suited to subterranean life. In game terms, due to their low-light vision, Mimbanese characters may ignore 2D in darkness-based penalties for actions regarding objects or targets at distances of 30 meters or greater from their position, and they may ignore 3D in darkness-based penalties for actions related to objects or targets closer than 30 meters away.

• Stealth: The Mimbanese are said to have an "unsettling" ability to disappear in the muck and murk of Mimban, despite their bright red skin and traditional red garments. This is because the Mimbanese have become adept at adorning themselves with thatch camouflage over the many years of war, allowing them to hide in, and move unseen through, even sparse underbrush. In game terms, at creation Mimbanese characters who grow up in Mimban's war-torn environs gain 2D for every 1D of starting skill dice allotted to their hide and sneak skills.

• Tough Mudder: The Mimbanese are intimately familiar with mud fields, muck and mire. And their powerful limbs do not tire when pushing through the mud and clay of the battlefield. In game terms, Mimbanese characters may re-roll failed climbing/jumping and stamina checks when traversing yielding terrain such as mud fields, rainforests, and swamps — although they must accept the second result. In addition, when in muddy environs, the difficulty for survival rolls required of Mimbanese characters is reduced by one difficulty level.

Capsule: For most of Mimban's history, the planet was ignored by neighboring worlds, as it was deemed "too uncivilized and wild" to colonise. That changed by the time of the Clone Wars. And as of the Imperial era, outside influence has recently prompted the harvesting of hyperbaride minerals though dangerous energy mining techniques. As a result, the Mimbanese people have seen their climate ruined, hectares of rain forest cleared, and seemingly endress stretches of thick mud spread across the planet.

Mimban has now been a site of conflict for many decades. Mining interests attracted by deep mineral deposits have long had to contend with natives who (understandably) object to any intrusive offworlder presence. The Empire has decreed that the mines continue operation nonetheless, and has sent military forces to "pacify" the planet.

One of several intelligent speices native to Mimban, but undoubtedly the most aggressive, the Mimbanese are fighting for the very future of their world. These intensely hostile subterreanean people climb from the muck to rally against the Imperial presence that has breached the surface of their planet.

The Mimbanese were supplied modern weaponry by the Galactic Republic during the Clone Wars. They continue to use the old blasters and vibrobayonets, only retiring them when the weapons fall apart. And though the Mimbanese lack heavy artillery, they have improvised mines, tripwires, and catapults capable of taking out large vehicles.

And so these red-skinned subterranean dwellers who once fought alongside Republic clone troopers against the Separatists are now battling the Empire using every guerilla tactic they've learned. Hopefully, it will be enough to save their lives and their planet....

"It's their planet. We're the hostiles." — Han Solo, approximately 10 BBY.

Sources: Solo: A Star Wars Story: The Official Guide by Pablo Hidalgo (p.38-41), and Wookieepedia (entries for Mimban, Mimbanese, and Legends' Coway). Capsule text adapted from Solo: A Star Wars Story: The Official Guide (p.38-41). Image: https://www.starwars.com/databank/mimbanese . Stats and additional original text by Telsij.

OBSCURE CHARACTER ARCHIVE INDEX

Last edited by Telsij on Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:31 pm    Post subject: HIRANG BIRREN and NITHORN species stats! Reply with quote

FINALLY getting the chance to finish off the last couple of Solo characters that I had previously claimed as part of the Solo: A Star Wars Story sourcebook project from the G+ days. After our Nithorn friend below, of my formally-claimed Solo characters write-ups, only the Dwuni brothers Crodit and Blawz, and Zuzanu Lett, remain outstanding.

Per the blurb for HIRANG BIRREN here: https://www.starwars.com/news/secrets-of-the-solo-a-star-wars-story-creature-shop , the costume/character was known as "Parrot Man." So in a meta-nod to that, I leaned into parrot-like language acquisition characteristics, and the song/music-associations with the two individuals we have as examples of the species, to supplement the scant info about the NITHORN and Birren himself!

HIRANG BIRREN
Type: Absent-minded Talent Scout

DEXTERITY 2D
Dance 2D+1
KNOWLEDGE 3D+1
Alien species 5D, business: cruise ship entertainment 5D, cultures 5D+2,
languages 5D+1, planetary systems 4D+2, scholar: music 6D, value 4D
MECHANICAL 2D+2
Musical instrument operation 3D+2
PERCEPTION 3D+2
Bargain: contract negotiation 5D, search 4D+2, search: musical talent 6D
STRENGTH 2D
TECHNICAL 2D+1

Species: Nithorn
Character Points: 1

Special Abilities & Story Factors:
  • "Gutteral Birdsong" and Overtone Singing: Not unlike real world overtone singing which originated in the Mongolian and Tuuvan regions, or in-universe songs such as “Sugaan Essena” (performed by the Hu, as heard in the Jedi Fallen Order video game), the Nithorn have an affinity for a style of singing in which the performer manipulates resonances in order to produce additional overtones above the fundamental note being sung. This resonant tuning, created in the vocal tract, allows singers to produce more than one pitch at the same time (ie: the fundamental pitch and one or more selected overtones), while actually generating only a single fundamental frequency with their vocal folds. In some circles, this has been referred to in a derogatory manner, termed “Gutteral birdsong.” In game terms, Nithorn gain a +1D bonus to any rolls related to, or attempts at, throat-singing or overtone singing.

• Just Vibin': Hirang Birren has such a deep appreciation and love for music that when a tune moves him, he more often than not loses himself in a performance. Absent-mindedly singing along or swaying subconsciously to the music, he is often so enrapt that he becomes semi-oblivious to his surroundings otherwise. In game terms, when Birren encounters a musical performance or song he enjoys, and when in non-dangerous circumstances, he must make an Easy willpower check to avoid becoming distracted by it, and suffering a -1D penalty to all actions as a result. If in dangerous conditions, the difficulty of this willpower check is reduced to Very Easy.

• Keratin Beak: The beak of the Nithorn inflicts STR+2 physical damage if used to bite or peck when brawling.

• Language Acquisition/Affinity: Perhaps due to their own facility for vocal overtones, Nithorn have a gift for languages as well. They are able not only to quickly parrot the unique sounds of languages still foreign to them, but they also progress toward proficiency in new languages faster than many other species. In game terms, at character creation, Nithorn gain 2D for every 1D placed in the languages skill. In addition, rather than having to make 10 Difficult skill checks in order to gain fluency in a particular language, the difficulty for Nithorn is reduced by one level, allowing them to roll against Moderate difficulty to gain fluency.

• Recumbent Crest: The crest of feathers "displayed" atop a male Nithorn's head is often used for persuasive purposes, and is often reflective of that Nithorn's mood or disposition — an evolutionary callback to the species' ancestral mating signals and practices. In game terms, if a male Nithorn spends a full round presenting his crest feathers while performing no other actions, and succeeds on an opposed willpower check, he gains a bonus to his Persuasion checks against his target romantic partner, equal to +1 for every +3 by which he beat his potential romantic partner's roll. This bonus lasts for a number of rounds equal to the margin by which he won the opposed roll. However, a female Nithorn in turn gains a +1D bonus to her opposed willpower roll if she has more than one suitor, with an additional +1 bonus per additional suitor beyond the second.

Capsule: Often a guest aboard the Nau'ur-class yacht of Crimson Dawn underboss Dryden Vos, Hirang Birren was a cruise ship talent scout with a keen ear for music. Prone to getting caught up in the performances of talent he had either "discovered" or booked, Birren will often unwittingly sing along with the yacht's entertainment in his own gutteral birdsong... *especially* if he has had a drink or two.

Equipment: Holocorder and recording rod, metal cocktail tumbler, silk shirt, sateen-collared-and-cuffed formal longcoat.

Sources: Solo: A Star Wars Story film, Solo: A Star Wars: Story: The Official Guide (p.80-81), https://alienanthology.wordpress.com/2018/04/03/showdown-at-dennys/ , Wookieepedia, and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overtone_singing . Capsule text adapted from Solo: A Star Wars: Story: The Official Guide (p.80-81). Image: Wookieepedia-cropped costume test/behind-the-scenes image from https://www.starwars.com/news/secrets-of-the-solo-a-star-wars-story-creature-shop . Stats and additional original capsule text by Telsij.

****************************************************************************************

Above: A Nithorn at the Lodge on Vandor, performing overtone singing, circa 10 BBY.*

NITHORN

DEXTERITY: 1D/4D
KNOWLEDGE: 1D+1/4D+1
MECHANICAL: 1D/4D
PERCEPTION: 1D/3D+2
STRENGTH: 1D/4D
TECHNICAL:1D/4D

Move: 10/12

• "Gutteral Birdsong" and Overtone Singing: Not unlike real world overtone singing which originated in the Mongolian and Tuuvan regions, or in-universe songs such as “Sugaan Essena” (performed by the Hu, as heard in the Jedi Fallen Order video game), the Nithorn have an affinity for a style of singing in which the performer manipulates resonances in order to produce additional overtones above the fundamental note being sung. This resonant tuning, created in the vocal tract, allows singers to produce more than one pitch at the same time (ie: the fundamental pitch and one or more selected overtones), while actually generating only a single fundamental frequency with their vocal folds. In some circles, this has been referred to in a derogatory manner, termed “Gutteral birdsong.” In game terms, Nithorn gain a +1D bonus to any rolls related to, or attempts at, throat-singing or overtone singing.

• Keratin Beak: The beak of the Nithorn inflicts STR+2 physical damage if used to bite or peck when brawling.

• Language Acquisition/Affinity: Perhaps due to their own facility for vocal overtones, Nithorn have a gift for languages as well. They are able not only to quickly parrot the unique sounds of languages still foreign to them, but they also progress toward proficiency in new languages faster than many other species. In game terms, at character creation, Nithorn gain 2D for every 1D placed in the languages skill. In addition, rather than having to make 10 Difficult skill checks in order to gain fluency in a particular language, the difficulty for Nithorn is reduced by one level, allowing them to roll against Moderate difficulty to gain fluency.

• Recumbent Crest: The crest of feathers "displayed" atop a male Nithorn's head is often used for persuasive purposes, and is often reflective of that Nithorn's mood or disposition — an evolutionary callback to the species' ancestral mating signals and practices. In game terms, if a male Nithorn spends a full round presenting his crest feathers while performing no other actions, and succeeds on an opposed willpower check, he gains a bonus to his Persuasion checks against his target romantic partner, equal to +1 for every +3 by which he beat his potential romantic partner's roll. This bonus lasts for a number of rounds equal to the margin by which he won the opposed roll. However, a female Nithorn in turn gains a +1D bonus to her opposed willpower roll if she has more than one suitor, with an additional +1 bonus per additional suitor beyond the second.

Sources: Solo: A Star Wars Story film, Solo: A Star Wars: Story: The Official Guide (p.80-81), Solo-themed Denny's television commercial https://youtu.be/uIWiCjiYi7o?t=11 , https://www.starwars.com/news/secrets-of-the-solo-a-star-wars-story-creature-shop , Wookieepedia, and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overtone_singing . Capsule text adapted from Solo: A Star Wars: Story: The Official Guide (p.80-81). Image: https://alienanthology.wordpress.com/2018/04/03/showdown-at-dennys/ . Stats and additional original text by Telsij.

*My personal headcanon has this character as also being Hirang Birren, who is using the seedy "keep a low-profile" environs of the Lodge to surreptitiously indulge his desire to sing. But because this singer may soon be given with his own distinct canon identity, this idea is not incorporated into Birren's stats (for now).

Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:21 pm    Post subject: PROJECT STARMAN & ZIGO STELLARSAND Reply with quote

With what I believe is the official release of issue six of Star Wars: Adventurer's Journal announced in mid-late November, I'm now in the clear to post the article I wrote which appears therein! And so, to celebrate that and today’s rare “Great Conjunction of Saturn and Jupiter” making for an apt astronomy-themed connection — it’s been “... 400 years since the planets passed this close to each other in the sky, and nearly 800 years since the alignment of Saturn and Jupiter occurred at night...” per NASA — here are ZIGO STELLARSAND and PROJECT STARMAN!

A character and concept inspired not only by David Bowie’s various stage personas, but also and more specifically by unused TROS concept art by Calum Alexander Watt, whose permission to use the art for non-commercial/hobby purposes I secured for Adventurer's Journal #6. (Note: The Aurek Jenth character referenced in the Project Starman article is the AJ’s continuing solo-adventure character, who has been drawn to resemble and homage David Bowie, while the director of Project Starman is none other than Afrofuturist-pioneer, and self-proclaimed extraterrestrial, "Sun Ra.")

PROJECT STARMAN

Project Starman was supposed to do what the Empire — and the Republic before it — could not: introduce people to the wonders of space travel, but without fear… and without faction. Founded in the waning days of the Clone Wars, yet only truly hitting their exploratory stride during the Imperial and New Republic eras, the independent organization known as Project Starman soon became a fixture of Wild Space and Unknown Region exploration, largely because of its approach: Project Starman mission crews were composed of Hyperspace Scouts carefully selected for an ability to navigate new cultures with tact.

These social-specialists were tasked with making crucial “first contact” with newly spacefaring peoples. And in the strife-torn galaxy, these “Starmen” were specifically instructed to welcome nascent spacers into galactic culture without conflict, and without the trauma of war. The Starmen would often live among a people first, conducting research, sometimes for years, to ensure that they established contact using as familiar and approachable — yet aspirational — appeals as possible.

The charismatic Zigo Stellarsand was one such scout.

A Clawdite who used a primarily masculine but still-androgynous persona, even when in his natural form, Zigo was a born performer. And he supplemented that talent with ongoing study of music and song. Countless trips spent mapping hyperlanes would only bolster the strength of this musicianship. And in time, he could “shred the hallikset” better than many professionals.

Serving thus as vanguard for Project Starman, Zigo made his way to uncharted worlds and used his shapeshifting abilities to live amongst and as one of various peoples, learning what appealed to them and what their own culture might most appreciate about the larger galaxy. And of course, wherever he went Zigo sang and played his hallikset, wooing people into the wonder of stars above.

After many cycles of success, Zigo himself became the “star” of the Starman scouting program. Even his incognito persona had transformed into only a thinly-veiled version of his own cool, swaggering personality. And it was not long before heads of Project Starman recognized the strength of his otherworldly charisma, as cultures with whom he made first contact remembered him fondly and spoke well of their experience with him specifically. Zigo was good. Perhaps too good….

His scouting support-team — so diverse in technical skills that their multi-pronged, multi-faceted versatility earned them the nickname “The Spiders” — grew jealous. Demand for Zigo’s deployment on missions began to exceed those of other scouts. Even other Clawdites were outshined because they were incapable of matching Stellarsand’s charisma. And so, feelings of resentment arose amongst the Spiders. Some members suggested they cripple and crush Zigo’s sweet hallikset-playing hands, just to teach him a lesson. What actually wound up happening was far worse however... starship sabotage!

En route to a newly discovered system on the edge of Wild Space and the Unknown Regions, Zigo’s starship suffered a deadly malfunction. A suddenly suspiciously-faulty hyperdrive motivator gave out at the worst possible time. So where were the Spiders? (In)conveniently out of range. Incommunicado.

Fortunately, a man named Aurek Jenth spied the ship going down. And he intervened in time to save Zigo’s life. But all was not well with the Clawdite. By Jenth’s own account, the near-death experience appeared to have driven Zigo mad. It was a “miracle” that the Clawdite lived, yes, but how Zigo explained chance and happenstance was anything but either. Anything but random.

Zigo claimed to have seen "The Other Side” during his wayward sojourn through hyperspace. He claimed to have physically touched a “higher plane of being” — a Project Starman concept used to convince newly spare-faring but-still-superstitious civilizations of the benefits of space travel. But the way Zigo explained it? A religious experience that only seeing the cosmos could provide.

“It was no hazy cosmic jive,” Jenth quoted Zigo as saying that night. He — Zigo Stellarsand, First Contact Scout for Project Starman — *was a Starman* waiting in the sky. Perhaps even *the* Starman, a messiah destined to deliver any and all who were willing to join him, to their greater destiny.

And because Aurek Jenth’s was the first face Zigo saw upon awakening, the Clawdite instinctively mimicked Jenth’s form — although it was a stylized likeness, an amalgam also inspired by the kaleidoscope of sensation Zigo felt permeating his being as he was wrenched from hyperspace. Since that fateful night, it would be some form of Jenth’s face that Stellarsand — henceforth answering only to "Starman" — would wear for the rest of his days. Days that would be spent as a self-proclaimed messiah, leading peoples who were only now discovering space, on a “mystical journey” aimed at achieving their true potential.

Even years later, Aurek Jenth often retold the tale of Zigo Stellarsand: the Starman who now bore *his* face. It was a story he spun as a cautionary tale, but in its telling, Jenth always made clear that Zigo was earnest in his messianic altruism.

The “Starman” still travels the galaxy to this day, introducing alien civilizations to the siren song of the true frontier — and to space travel’s life-changing possibilities. But only if “you” heeded his call. Only if you embraced it. Opened yourself up to it. Gave yourself up to it. Maybe it was the Force whispering to him. Maybe it was something else, entirely new. Either way, if you opened yourself up to the infinite possibilities of the cosmos, maybe you could feel it — use it, whatever *it* was — too.

As Aurek Jenth said, “There's a starman waiting in the sky. He'd like to come and meet us, but he thinks he'd blow our minds. There's a starman waiting in the sky. He's told us not to blow it, cause he knows it's all worthwhile. He told me: Let the children lose it. Let the children use it. Let all the children boogie. I had to tell someone so I picked on you. Hey, that's far out, so you heard him too. Switch on the HoloNet, we may pick him up on channel two. Look out your window, I can see his light, if we can sparkle he may too.”

PROJECT STARMAN

Type: Interstellar scouting organization (private non-profit entity; initially comprised of volunteers)
Headquarters: Spaceport THX1138, Earth system, Fath sector, Galactic Grid Coordinates: K-6
Leadership: Le Sony'r Ra and his Arkestra for Ethical Exploration
Principal Activities: Establishing first contact with newly-spacefaring species, exploration, hyperlane charting, collection and analysis of planetary and populace data, stellar cartography
Known Affiliations: None
Known Adversaries: Unknown
Key Figures: Zigo Stellarsand (most well-known Project Starman scout), Le Sony'r Ra (project director, ethical exploration advisor, self-proclaimed “cosmic philosopher”)
Area of Operations: Primarily Wild Space and Unknown Regions, though based in Outer Rim.
Size: 250-500+ scouts (Clone War / Rise of Empire era), 1000+ scouts (Imperial to New Republic era).

ZIGO STELLARSAND
Type: Messianic Scout

DEXTERITY 2D+1
Blaster 5D, brawling parry 3D+1, dance 4D+1, dodge 5D+1, running 3D+2
KNOWLEDGE 3D+2
Alien species 6D+2, artist: singer-songwriter 6D, bureaucracy: Project Starman 4D+2, cultures 6D+2, languages 5D+2, planetary systems 7D, streetwise 4D+2, survival 5D, value 4D, willpower 4D+1
MECHANICAL 3D+1
Astrogation 6D+2, musical instrument operation 4D+1, musical instrument operation: 7-string hallikset 7D, repulsorlift operation 5D, sensors 6D, space transports 5D+1, starship gunnery 4D+2, starship shields 4D
PERCEPTION 4D
Bargain 5D+2, con 6D, con: disguise 7D, persuasion 6D+2, search 5D, (A) shapeshift 2D+2
STRENGTH 2D
Brawling 3D+2, climbing/jumping 3D+2, stamina 4D+2
TECHNICAL 2D+2
Computer programming/repair 4D+2, first aid 4D, space transport repair 4D+2

Species: Clawdite
Height: 1.78 meters tall
Weight: 70kg

Force Sensitive: Yes
Force Points: 3
Character Points: 9

• Messiah Complex: As a result of a hallucinatory near-death experience during his hyperspace accident, Zigo Stellarsand now believes himself to be the “Starman” — a savior whose destiny it is to lead people to greater understanding of themselves and their role in the cosmos, through space flight.

• The Savior’s Face: Zigo no longer changes his facial features from that of a stylized, blue-skinned orange-haired version of Aurek Jenth’s likeness, one with a circular emblem on his forehead, representing the “third eye” and an ability to see beyond one’s previous perspectives and accepted abilities. As Jenth played a crucial role in saving Zigo’s life — and thus the life of the messiah-like “Starman” — Stellarsand bases any subsequent alterations in appearance upon Jenth’s face and build.

• (A) Shapeshift: Some Clawdites have developed their skin-changing talents to a greater degree, allowing them to change the length, color, shape, and texture of their hair, as well as the coloration of their eyes. This fine control can even be used to alter specific portions of the Clawdite's body. This skill counts as an Advanced skill, with a prerequisite of the Con: Disguise skill specialization at 5D or greater. The Shapeshift skill adds its dice to any Con: Disguise rolls required to imitate a member of a different humanoid species.

• Skin-Changer: Clawdites are able to change the color, texture, and shape of their skins, allowing a Clawdite to mimic that of another humanoid species of the same general physical shape. This does not allow Clawdites to generate extra limbs or other appendages, but they are able to imitate the texture and patterns of skin-tight clothing. The transformation is quite painful, and the skin-changer will revert to its normal form if stunned, unconscious, dying, or dead.

Equipment: Comlink, flight helmet, heavy blaster pistol (5D damage, range: 3-7/25/50, ammo: 25), holocorder, holster and utility-belt, seven-string hallikset, spacer’s vest, “Space Oddity” scout ship (Game Notes: Exact description of make/model varies by culture and era of play, and is dependent upon which era of Bowie music is referenced; appearance/design is thus left to GM discretion), vacuum suit.

Sources: The Art of Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker book: “Star Man Pilot Version 02” character concept artwork by Calum Alexander Watt — used with artist’s written permission for hobby/non-commercial purposes, Wookieepedia, and Wikipedia. Species stats adapted from Aliens Stats fan-made D6 sourcebook credited to Thiago S. Aranha (p. 30-31). Embroidered patch images: https://www.etsy.com/listing/473395355/embroidered-patch-ziggy-stardust-david and https://www.etsy.com/listing/473392187/black-star-david-bowie-ziggy-stardust . "Project Starman" article was first published in issue six of Star Wars: Adventurer's Journal (November 2020). Use of additional Bowie iconography, for Project Starman insignia and Blackstar call sign nametag, contributed by Brian L. Bird during editing/layout phase. Stats and text by Telsij, based upon the songs “Ziggy Stardust” and “Starman” by David Bowie.

Above: "Blackstar" — Zigo Stellarsand's call sign

Last edited by Telsij on Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:29 pm; edited 8 times in total
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is awesome. I love Bowie. I just listened to Bowie in the car when I was out running errands earlier today. I love this.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
GreenSnaggletooth
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another top notch post!
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:23 pm    Post subject: CRODIT & BLAWZ with DWUNI species stats, and ZUZANU LATT Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
This is awesome. I love Bowie. I just listened to Bowie in the car when I was out running errands earlier today. I love this.
GreenSnaggletooth wrote:
Another top notch post!

Thank you very much for the kind words, Whill and Green Snaggletooth.

And from the few reactions to the "Project Starman" article that I did see on the AJ's fb group, the Bowie tribute has been received well elsewhere too! Very Happy

And "done" — with ZUZANU LATT, CRODIT & BLAWZ, and their DWUNI species stats, the characters I'd intended to stat up for the Solo sourcebook project hatched in the waning days of the G+ are now complete!

The only sort-of exception is the previously-unnamed WAMOTH ( https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Wamoth ), but only because there's a chance additional canon info about his character and species will be revealed in the coming year, something Leland Chee hinted at as a possibility via Twitter. Wamoth was played by Warwick Davis and was featured prominently in the Solo-themed TV commercial for Denny's. Although he was finally named in the recently-released Star Wars: Fascinating Facts, he and his species have yet to receive much else in the way of real characterization in canon (though I am already thinking that the species' four ears allow for a reroll of failed hearing-based Perception checks). So I am holding off on statting little W, but doing a canon-based write-up for Wamoth shall be waiting in the wings!

HAPPY (belated) HOLIDAYS, all!

CRODIT & BLAWZ
Type: "Touched" Kessel Miners

DEXTERITY 2D
Dodge 3D, melee combat 3D, melee combat: portable drill units 4D
KNOWLEDGE 1D+1*
Streetwise 2D+2*, willpower 3D+1*
MECHANICAL 2D+2
Machinery operation: compressor packs with portable drill units 4D
PERCEPTION 2D+1
Hide 3D+2, search 3D+1, search: spice 4D+2, sneak 3D+2
STRENGTH 2D+2
Lifting 3D+2, stamina 4D+2, stamina: spice tolerance 5D+2
TECHNICAL 2D
First aid: self-medication 3D, mining 2D+2

Species: Dwuni
Character Points: 2
Move: 7

• Diminutive, dense and compact: Although many species are short in stature relative to Humans and other species, Dwuni are among the more compact humanoids, due to their largely tube-shaped bodies. Not only can Dwuni fit into spaces that only smaller human-child-sized beings might, they also gain the benefit of their limbs not taking up much additional space beyond an-already-narrow shoulder width. In game terms, a Dwuni may reduce the difficulty of any Dexterity-based checks or climbing checks required to fit into, and to move about within, narrow confines and tight surroundings, by 2D. While within tight confines, Dwuni may also reduce any Dexterity-penalties imposed by their surroundings by one full difficulty level. Lastly, the compact density of their bodies grants them strength and resilience comparable to that of humans as well, despite their smaller stature.

• "The eyes have it!": The Dwuni can manipulate the tissue of their eyelids to better suit the lighting conditions of their surroundings. They can create either a very narrow aperture with their eyelids, in order to improve their vision in very bright conditions, or cause their eyelids to recede so far as to create a much wider area for their pupils to absorb light, thus improving their vision even in almost complete darkness. In game terms, Dwuni may reduce any vision penalties due to either harsh brightness or darkness by 2D, but they must spend an action to make this adjustment when switching from one environment to the other.

• Minor Maw: Although not quite the surprising size of Frigosians' monstrously-large-but-concealed mouths, a Dwuni's maw and pointed teeth are not to be taken lightly. They may consume large quantities of food in single gulps, and their pointy teeth inflict +2 physical damage if used while brawling.

• Same, but Different: Some speculate that Crodit, often seen with a jury-rigged snifter of spice hooked in one of his nostrils, is wild-eyed and enthusiastic about his "work" only because he has indulged in one too many spice benders, sneakily-had whilst working in the deepest recesses of the mines. At the same time, they suggest that Crodit’s slightly-taller brother, Blawz — despite his more mellow, sleepy, slit-eyed "go with the flow" vibe — only enjoys the work as a result of similar indulgences. And although spice seems to have had the opposite effect on Blawz' temperament as it did upon Crodit, the resulting reaction to the brothers' forced labor is the same: bizarre enjoyment. In game terms, while Crodit and Blawz both seem content to (literally) slave away at the mines, their approach to these tasks are much different and should be roleplayed as such. Despite identical stats and the pleasure in mining they share, Crodit is eager, excited and always “on,” while Blawz should be played as a laid-back, serene individual out of whom it's seems impossible to get a rise.

• Touched in the Head: Although both brothers genuinely appear to "enjoy" the mining work of their enslavement, it is clear that they do so largely because the two Dwunis' minds are not what they once were. Whether due to the ever-present residue of spice in the air, due to the emotional trauma of their prison sentence / enslavement, or due to some injuries suffered in the mines, both Crodit and Blawz appear "touched in the head." *In game terms, this addling of their minds is reflected in the loss of 1D from their Knowledge attribute.

Capsule: Their small size allows Dwuni brothers Crodit and Blawz to squeeze into the narrowest parts of the mine, where others cannot go. They bizarrely seem to enjoy their work.

And when a prisoner uprising was suddenly spurred by a group of new arrivals — a vocal navigation droid and her Human companions — it was unclear if Crodit and Blawz would even try to escape....

Equipment: Pneumatic compressor pack with portable drill unit (Damage: STR+1D if pneumatic compressor pack is inactive, 4D speeder scale physical damage if pneumatic compressor pack has been activated; Skill: Machinery operation or melee combat; Difficulty: Easy machinery operation check for mining-related tasks, Moderate for combat use; Range: 0-1 meter/engaged; Game Notes: Activation/deactivation of pneumatic compressor pack requires one non-roll action. Applicable bonuses, such as the +1D bonus gained from 1 full round of preparation and the +1D bonus from doubling duration of use for single application, may be stacked and applied toward damage over extended duration of use. However, as with its mining applications, when used as a weapon drill unit is most effective against a single target or focal point, for a full round or longer. If user attempts to attack multiple targets using drill unit, he must make an Easy strength or lifting check in order to do so, and he may not apply preparation/duration bonuses to damage. Strength/lifting check is a free roll), metal capped boots (+1D vs. physical and energy damage, covers feet only), spice-snifter with nasal-feed fastener, spice-stained mining togs (+2. vs. edged physical damage, covers torso and legs only)

Sources: Solo: A Star Wars Story film, Solo: A Star Wars Story: The Official Guide (p.105), and Wookieepedia. First paragraph of capsule text and image: Solo: A Star Wars Story: The Official Guide (p.105). Stats and additional original text by Telsij.

DWUNI

DEXTERITY: 1D/3D+2
KNOWLEDGE: 1D/4D
MECHANICAL: 1D/4D
PERCEPTION: 1D/3D+2
STRENGTH: 1D+2/4D+1
TECHNICAL: 1D/4D

Move: 7/9
Size: 1 meter tall or shorter, on average

Species Special Abilities & Story Factors:
  • Diminutive, dense and compact: Although many species are short in stature relative to Humans and other species, Dwuni are among the more compact humanoids, due to their largely tube-shaped bodies. Not only can Dwuni fit into spaces that only smaller human-child-sized beings might, they also gain the benefit of their limbs not taking up much additional space beyond an-already-narrow shoulder width. In game terms, a Dwuni may reduce the difficulty of any Dexterity-based checks or climbing checks required to fit into, and to move about within, narrow confines and tight surroundings, by 2D. While within tight confines, Dwuni may also reduce any Dexterity-penalties imposed by their surroundings by one full difficulty level. Lastly, the compact density of their bodies grants them strength and resilience comparable to that of humans as well, despite their smaller stature.

• "The eyes have it!": The Dwuni can manipulate the tissue of their eyelids to better suit the lighting conditions of their surroundings. They can create either a very narrow aperture with their eyelids, in order to improve their vision in very bright conditions, or cause their eyelids to recede so far as to create a much wider area for their pupils to absorb light, thus improving their vision even in almost complete darkness. In game terms, Dwuni may reduce any vision penalties due to either harsh brightness or darkness by 2D, but they must spend an action to make this adjustment when switching from one environment to the other.

• Minor Maw: Although not quite the surprising size of Frigosians' monstrously-large-but-concealed mouths, a Dwuni's maw and pointed teeth are not to be taken lightly. They may consume large quantities of food in single gulps, and their pointy teeth inflict +2 physical damage if used while brawling.

Sources: Solo: A Star Wars Story film, Solo: A Star Wars Story: The Official Guide (p.105), and Wookieepedia. Stats and text by Telsij.

Bit of a anecdote re: ZUZANU LATT’s write-up below: when I first saw this character's name, I thought it was an homage to online fitness personality Zuzka “Zuzana” Light, whose BodyRock YouTube workouts my wife and I both did for some time, years ago. And so, when contributors were calling dibs (via spreadsheet) on which characters, species, ships, or equip to stat up and write-up for the Solo sourcebook project back in the waning days of G+, I added her to my list and decided to base this minor character's backstory on the real life figure, Zuzana Light. But I was wrong about the name’s inspiration: I recently learned that Pablo Hidalgo had once again made an anagram of the actress' name to give to her in-universe character. It was just a coincidence that the SW name seemed so similar to the fitness host's name. As this practice was par for the course for Pablo, I probably should've suspected the true origin of the name. But because it still made for an interesting backstory, Zuzanu Latt's write-up concept and capsule retain their basis on fitness personality Zuzana Light!

CORPORAL ZUZANU LATT
Type: Imperial Fleet Trooper / Former Fitness Instructor

DEXTERITY 3D+2
Blaster: blaster pistol 4D+2, dodge 5D, melee combat 4D, running 5D
KNOWLEDGE 2D+1
Alien species 4D+1, alien species: physical capabilities 5D+1,
languages 3D+1, law enforcement: planetary emigration 4D,
scholar: physical fitness/physical training 5D, willpower 4D+1
MECHANICAL 2D+2
Communications 3D, sensors 3D
PERCEPTION 3D+2
Command 4D, command: fitness instruction 6D, persuasion 4D+2
STRENGTH 3D+2
Brawling 4D+2, climbing/jumping 5D, lifting 4D+2, stamina 5D+2
TECHNICAL 2D
Computer programming/repair 3D, security 3D

Species: Human
Character Points: 5

• In Search of Anonymity: Once a well-known figure in fitness circles, after her highly-public divorce within those same circles, Zuzanu has since chosen a life of relative anonymity. Despite working with the public at Coronet Spaceport, she does so "as" a rank and a position, rather than as an individual — as a "faceless" representative of the Empire, rather than as someone upon whom the spotlight was once shined.

Capsule: Zuzanu Latt was once a fitness personality whose popular HoloNet training program had just begun to reach larger sector-wide audiences when misfortune struck. She and her husband, an aspiring business-minded HoloFilmmaker who was the producer of her program, suffered an acrimonious split — amid accusations of infidelity and an increased focus on exploiting Zuzanu's physical appearance to further the program's popularity. After such a painful and public divorce, Latt left her homeworld for farther-flung planetary systems.

In time, she chose a path where individual traits and appearances were downplayed, in favor of a (perceived) greater purpose and duty. She enlisted in the Imperial Navy, where Zuzanu believed she could put her physicality, and ability to quickly size up people and assess their physical capabilities, to better practical use. And so, by a decade prior to the Battle of Yavin, she had served with distinction at Coronet Spaceport on Corellia, overseeing passenger flow and regulating spaceport emigration.

Equipment: Blaster pistol (4D damage, range: 3-10/30/100, ammo: 100), comlink, fitness equipment, holocorder, Imperial Fleet Trooper plastoid blast helmet and blast vest (+1D to physical, +1 energy; covers head and torso only).

Sources: Solo: A Star Wars Story film, Solo: A Star Wars Story: The Official Guide (p.37), Wookieepedia, https://www.facebook.com/zuzatehanudance/photos/ and https://www.starwarsauthentics.com/ . Images: https://www.facebook.com/zuzatehanudance/photos/ and https://www.starwarsauthentics.com/ . Stats and text by Telsij, with stats based upon official WEG Imperial Naval Trooper, and capsule inspired by events described here: https://zuzkalight.com/blog/zuzka-light-bodyrock-divorce/ .

Last edited by Telsij on Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject: MUBO and the DROID DEPOT Reply with quote

MUBO
Type: Sixth-generation Droid Builder

Quotes:
  • "He turns the spit, right? Mmm-hmm! That's what I programmed him to do! You're welcome."
    — Mubo, to Bakkar

• "Did you try deactivating and reactivating him again?"
    — Mubo, to Bakkar

• "Ugh, we're not getting an X-wing, J-4X."
    — Mubo, to Droid Pilot J-4X (aka "Jax")

• "Uh, yeahhh... You ever have one of those times when a cloaked 'trader' in the corner of a dimly lit cantina pays you a lot of credits to transport two special 'packages'? This is like that. But we're certainly not smuggling them! But we're probably also NOT smuggling them... Heh heh... Just get them planet-side."
    — Mubo, to "You" (his apprentice technician)

DEXTERITY 2D+2
Dodge 3D+2, brawling parry 3D, running 3D
KNOWLEDGE 2D+2
Business 4D+2, business: droid builder 6D+1, planetary systems 4D, planetary systems: Batuu 6D, streetwise 3D+2, value 4D+2, value: droids 7D+2
MECHANICAL 3D+1
Communications 4D+1, machinery operation 5D+1, sensors 5D+1
PERCEPTION 2D+2
Bargain 4D+2, bargain: droids/droid parts 5D+2, command: Droid Depot staff 4D, con 3D+2, hide 4D, investigation: tinkering 6D+1, persuasion 3D+2
STRENGTH 2D
TECHNICAL 4D+2
Computer programming/repair 6D, (A) droid engineering 3D+1, droid programming 7D, droid repair 6D+1, equipment repair 6D, systems diagnosis 6D

Species: Utai

Character Points: 9
Move: 9
Size: Approximately 1.22 meters tall

• Darkvision: Utai can see in the dark, up to 20 meters. Darkvision is black and white only, but functions as normal vision otherwise.

• Delightfully awkward or... : Although described by those that have worked with him as "delightfully awkward", Mubo is prone to talking too much about his latest mechanical creation, and he can be stubborn or even mildly abrasive — though often unknowingly — in his dealings with organic customers who disagree with his perspective on a particular project or droid.

"He’s a reasonable fellow, if not to everyone’s taste." — Salju, proprietor of Black Spire Station, to Resistance spy Vi Moradi, re: Mubo.

• Discretion is always the better part of valor: Mubo isn't a coward... per se. He just doesn't want to get hurt or get killed — like most reasonable beings! Thing is, he's more than willing to let others take the heat for him, *if* it saves his skin. Although isn't willing to let innocents die without trying to do something about it, he won't be the one jumping in headfirst blasters blazing either.

Mubo: (To his apprentice technician) "Now, you and I will go to the Batuu Wilds and get those packages back."

Seezelslak: "You know, the Guavian Death Gang probably didn't just stop looking for the cargo they wanted on the ship. Just sayin'."

Mubo: (To self) "Oh right..." (now to his apprentice technician) "YOU'RE going to go out there and find those special packages. Alone. I have important Droid Depot things to do."

R00-BY warbles incredulously at Mubo.

Mubo: (to R00-BY) "Yes, I do! I just haven't told you about them yet."

— Mubo, his apprentice tech, Seezelslak the Azumel bartender, and R00-BY the DRK-1 Dark Eye probe droid, discuss retrieving jettisoned "special" cargo before the Guavian Death Gang does.

• Droid Rights Supporter: Despite not being an outspoken activist on the front lines of the Droids Rights Movement, and despite acknowledging the "service" — and even servile — role droids play in modern society, the Utai engineer does stand up for (relative) droid autonomy whenever he is able. Mubo is opposed to the use of restraining bolts on droids he has built, programmed, or repaired. And if given a choice, he prefers to trust their programmed (or developed) personality matrices whenever possible. And if his hand is forced, and he must make a modification he finds questionable, Mubo will stall, make excuses, and put off the work for as long as he can, so that droids he has worked on continue to enjoy greater (relative) freedom.

• Language Fluency/Proficiency: Mubo is not only fluent in Basic and the Utai species' native tongue Utapese, he can also understand (but not speak) Binary/droidspeak proficiently. In game terms, Mubo's being native to Batuu had exposed him to so many travelers and visitors over the years, that learning Basic came to him quickly. And regarding Binary/droidspeak, thanks to his growing up in a family of droidsmiths, Mubo had long ago made the 10 successful Difficult (or greater difficulty) language checks required to attain fluency, and he no longer needs to make language rolls to understand it.

• Light Sensitivity: Abrupt exposure to bright light (such as direct sunlight) blinds the Utai for 1 round. In addition, they suffer a –1 penalty to actions when operating in bright light without protective eyewear.

• Low-light Vision: Utai gain a +1D bonus to Perception-based rolls in low-light conditions. Utai also retain the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.

• Sixth-generation Droid Builder: Mubo comes from a long line of Utai droidsmiths. And by building upon the accumulated knowledge and experience of his elders, while bringing his own considerable technological know-how to bear, Mubo has proven to be the most successful and industrious practitioner of the family trade to date. In game terms, Gamemasters may wish to have players encounter earlier or later generations of Mubo's droid builder family, depending upon era of play.

Capsule: Anyone that visits Black Spire Outpost is familiar with the Droid Depot, the go-to shop for buying and building your own droid companion. Keeping the entire operation running is the Depot’s Utai proprietor, Mubo.

A sixth-generation droid builder and technological genius, Mubo loves tinkering in his workshop, repairing and programming the droids used throughout Black Spire Outpost. He also loves to talk about the things he’s passionate about, and is constantly showing off his latest creations. To keep business running smoothly, Mubo employs a handful of technicians and droid pilots, some of his own design, to transport parts to Batuu.

Mubo’s latest droid creation is R00-8Y, a DRK-1 Dark Eye probe droid that he’s programmed to be his own personal assistant. With her own set of modified capabilities, including an odor neutralizer, R00-8Y is now Mubo’s constant companion.

Despite R00-BY's and his apprentice technician's best efforts however, Mubo has been known to get in over his head when doing business with shadier customers....

Equipment: "All-kit" multi-purpose tool and assortment of toolkits (Mubo's other toolkits grant him either a +1D bonus to droid programming and repair rolls, or a +2 bonus to other Technical-based skills), bulk cargo transport (capable of carrying 4 speeder-to-starfighter scale cargo containers at once, via front loader prongs; capable of transferring cargo containers to and from other ships while in orbit/space), customized DRK-1 Dark Eye probe droid (R00-8Y, aka "Ruby"), "datagrip" data-nav-comm wrist unit, droid pilot (J-4X, aka "Jax"), hover-pack (used almost exclusively by Mubo's apprentice), insulated tech-weave jumpsuit with Droid Depot logo/branding (+1D protection vs. edged physical damage and +2D protection against fire, flame, or heat damage; flame retardant; covers torso, arms, and legs only), molded shoulder pauldrons and shin guards (+1D protection vs. physical and energy damage; covers shoulders and shins only), shop/workshop at Black Spire Outpost on Batuu ("Droid Depot"), trio of stock configuration training remote droids, Utai work goggles (4D effectiveness vs. flashblinding and brightly-lit conditions, custom-molded to fit Utai eyestalks; provides +1D protection vs. physical and +2 vs. energy), utility belt, vast cache of droid parts and schematics.

• ALL-KIT TOOL

Model: ILMxLAB All-Kit TFGE Model 3
    Type: Multi-purpose all-in-one toolkit
    Scale: Character
    Cost: 375-400 credits
    Availability: 2
    Game Notes: All-Kit tool has three primary functions: arc probe, fusion cutter, and torque wrench (see below). If used as blunt weapon, melee difficulty: Easy, damage: STR+1D, body strength: 3D+2.

• Arc Probe: 1D-3D effectiveness. Dual arc prongs allow for welding of metals and repairs/construction involving fusing of metal parts. If repair task involves welding of metals, wielder gains a +1D bonus for each round of tool's applied use, to a maximum of a +3D total bonus to Technical skill used to longer term repairs.

• Fusion Cutter: 3D-6D effectiveness. Fusion torch allows for superheated “cutting” of materials. In game terms, it takes one round per 1D of body strength to cut a two-meter-by-one-meter hole. (For example: a blast door with 6D body strength would take six rounds.) If used as a weapon, the fusion cutter has range of 0.3 meters and causes 6D physical damage. If attack is not parried or evaded by target, user must make a Moderate melee combat roll to hit. Blast goggles or blast visor must be used with the cutter; anyone within one meter without proper eye protection must make a Moderate Perception or Willpower roll in order to properly look away or think to react in time to avoid being blinded for 3D rounds. If someone is blinded, apply -4D penalty to visually-based actions, similar to penalty applied for effects of total darkness.

• Torque Wrench: 1D-3D effectiveness. Allows for the tightening or loosening of nuts, bolts, screws, and other applicable fasteners/connectors that would otherwise be far too difficult and/or impossible to do manually. In game terms, if rolls are needed, tool grants a +1D to +3D bonus to the user's Strength, with +1D added to user's Strength or Lifting roll per round of use on same target item to be tightened or loosened. In terms of real life analogues, this mode functions like a "power screwdriver."

• DATAGRIP

Model: ILMxLAB TFGE Model Dg-L
    Type: Wrist-mounted DataNavComm unit
    Scale: Character
    Cost: 1750 credits
    Availability: 2
    Game Notes: Datagrip wrist gauntlet tracks your health, sends/receives transmissions, scans objects, and can display local navigation map overlaps. Body strength: 2D.

• Automap Navigation: It is virtually impossible for a character using an Automap to get lost. As long as the device is remotely uplinked to a larger “live” source of data input (such as a ship’s sensors or a weather satellite) the device relays accurate information regarding the user’s precise location, including known surroundings and potential navigational hazards. An initial uplink requires a Moderate computer programming/repair roll to establish a viable connection to available live data streams and networks, but only a Very Easy sensors roll is needed per use thereafter, to maintain or to reactivate once connected. Automap may be set to display compass-like directional prompts, if desired destination is keyed in by user.

• Health Tracker: If user submits vital statistics to onboard wrist monitor, health tracker unit track and assess user's relative health with a fair degree of accuracy. In game terms, this health tracker may relay to its user, the character's own wound status. Treat Health Tracker's internal computer has having diagnostic ability of first aid 4D. Properly assessing wearer's wound status requires a sensors roll from user, and the difficulties are as follows: Uninjured (Very Easy), stunned (Very Easy), Wounded and Wounded Twice (Easy), Incapacitated (Moderate), Mortally Wounded (Difficult), Dead (Very Easy).

• HoloComm: Unit can send/receive holotransmissions, via audio/visual input reticule and holo-output display, as well as standard audio signals. Energy cell lasts for 10 standard days of operation before recharge is needed. Device also functions as a basic datapad, but is limited to record-keeping and date recording purposes. Skill: Communications. Range: 50 kilometers over land and up to low orbit.

• Scanner: Able to scan for data/metadata encoded in signage, cargo manifests, and computer console interfaces. Typically used for cargo/shipping identification. If content ID of target is not scrambled, shielded, or otherwise rendered scanner-resistant/scanner-proof, the base difficulty to scan and identify/reveal target information is Easy. Skill: Sensors. Range: 0.3 meters.

• R00-8Y ("RUBY")

Type: Sassy Personal Assistant
    Model: Reprogrammed Arakyd Industries DRK-1 “Dark Eye” Probe Droid

DEXTERITY 3D
    Blaster 4D, dodge 4D
    KNOWLEDGE 3D
    Bureaucracy 4D, intimidation: sass 5D, scholar: logistics 4D, willpower 4D
    MECHANICAL 1D
    Sensors 3D
    PERCEPTION 3D
    Hide 5D, search 5D, sneak 5D
    STRENGTH 1D
    TECHNICAL 1D

Equipped With:
    • Anti-scan shell (scan-absorbing shell provides a +1D+1 bonus to hide skill rolls)
    • Comlink
    • Improved sensor package (+2 bonus to all search skill rolls)
    • Infrared vision (droid can see in the dark up to 30 meters, may ignore 4D penalty for total darkness if heat sources are present)
    • Laser cannon (5D damage, range: 3-7/25/50, ammo: 50)
    • Low-light vision (reduce darkness penalties by 2D when in low-light conditions)
    • Motion sensors (+2 bonus to Perception or search checks to detect moving targets)
    • Odor neutralizer spray (5D effectiveness, nozzle range: 0-1 meter, skill: missile weapons)
    • Recording unit (can record and play back up to 5 minutes of holo-footage)
    • Reinforced chassis / plating (+1D vs. physical and energy damage, -1 penalty applied to original Move score of 16)
    • Self-destruct system (droid will self-destruct/explode under predetermined circumstances)
    • Sonic sensors (+2 bonus to Perception or search checks that involve sound)
    • Stun blaster (4D stun damage, range: 3-10/30/120, ammo: 100)
    • Telescopic vision (the droid’s visual sensors have the equivalent of macrobinocular capability: Search and visually-based Perception checks are increased by 3D when using photoreceptor's macrobinocular mode to view targets or areas more than 100 meters away; range: 100-250/500/1 km. All modes have an Easy sensors difficulty at short range, increasing one level per range band)
    • Tool/weapon mounts (the droid has three appendages upon which interchangeable weapons may be attached)

Note: Due to droid's small size, apply a +1D scale modifier (the same concept typically used for targets between 10 to 50 centimeters in size) when Character scale characters or opponents attack/interact with R00-8Y, eg: R00-8Y gains a +1D bonus to attacks rolls she makes against Character scale targets, while attacks attempts against her are made at +1D to the difficulty to hit, and +1D to damage.

Personality Matrix: Feminine
    Move: 15
    Availability: 4, X
    Cost: Not available for sale
    Size: 0.2 meters

• DROID DEPOT

Type: Droidsmithing workshop / droid repair and retail business
    Headquarters/Location: Black Spire Outpost, Batuu system, Trilon sector, XYZ coordinates: -401.72, -561.84, 004.32
    Services: As sign outside of shop advertises: Sales (new and used), Service (ie: maintenance and repair), and Trades
    Known Affiliations: Resistance (unofficial — and hush-hush!)
    Known Adversaries: Tara Rashin (Quarren cyborged-pirate) and Guavian Death Gang
    Key Figures: Mubo (proprietor/chief technician), R00-8Y (Mubo's personal assistant), "You" (apprentice technician, player character of Star Wars: Tales from the Galaxy's Edge video game), J-4X (pilot droid)
    Area of Operations: Batuu, Outer Rim and Western Reaches

Capsule: Business is booming for Mubo and the Droid Depot. In fact, the Utai droid builder finds himself so busy nowadays, that he has not only taken on an apprentice (whom he frequently tasks with overseeing offworld parts-pickup and transport), he has also recruited a number of part-time assistants from among Batuu's more technically-inclined residents, to perform many of the shop’s more mundane duties. And because astromech droids are among his shop’s most popular wares, Mubo has now handed off much of the assembly process to staff members chosen from this pool of technically-inclined recruits. After receiving a crash course in droid programming and repair from Mubo, these specially-trained Droid Depot “Imagineers” then host workshops where customers themselves, often a dozen at a time, assemble astromech units from pre-prepared kits, and under staff supervision — all so that the Utai droid builder and his apprentice are free to tackle more challenging and/or more pressing projects.

Game Notes: Mubo has equipped the Droid Depot with a custom-built assortment of both automated and manually controlled hydraulic lifts, pulleys, cables, conveyor-belt platforms and manipulator arms to assist the diminutive Utai and his staff with many physically demanding tasks. If rolls are required, treat the automation/machinery in the shop as having the relevant non-combat "manual labor" skill needed for the scene at a 4D professional level. Exceptions include Mubo's heavy lifters, which are speeder-scale machines with 5D Strength, and are located at various mildly-mobile locales throughout the shop).

Above: R00-8Y and Mubo greet C-3P0

Above: Droid Depot interior

Above: Droid Depot external droid maintenance/recharge/repair bay, storage area, and oil bath station

Above: Droid Depot logo

Sources: Star Wars: Tales from the Galaxy's Edge video game for Oculus Quest platform, Star Wars: Datapad mobile game within Play Disney Parks app, https://www.ilmxlab.com/news/mubo-meet-the-characters-of-tales-from-the-galaxys-edge/ , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqLcfMy1vuo&ab_channel=Ctop , https://www.ilmxlab.com/news/discover-your-role-in-tales-from-the-galaxys-edge/ , Aliens Stats (p.161-162), Droid Stats (p.33), and Equipment Stats (Communications, Information, and Tools sections) fan-made D6 sourcebooks credited to Thiago S. Aranha, and Wookieepedia.

Images: Artwork by Karl Lindberg ( https://twitter.com/PhilSzostak/status/1346876553032994816 ), screen captures of "Droid Problems" exchange seen in Star Wars: Datapad mobile game within Play Disney Parks app, artwork by Chris Trevas and/or Chris Reiff and photograph of "real life" Droid Depot at Disney Parks (Star Wars Galaxy's Edge: Traveler's Guide to Batuu book), renders from https://www.ilmxlab.com/news/discover-your-role-in-tales-from-the-galaxys-edge/ , https://www.ilmxlab.com/news/mubo-meet-the-characters-of-tales-from-the-galaxys-edge/ , https://ziggyknowsdisney.com/droid-depot/ , and Wookieepedia.

Capsule text adapted from https://www.ilmxlab.com/news/mubo-meet-the-characters-of-tales-from-the-galaxys-edge/ . Species stats adapted from Aliens Stats fan-made D6 sourcebook credited to Thiago S. Aranha (p.161-162). Stats and additional original text by Telsij.

Note: See PELI MOTTO for information on Systems Diagnosis skill.

Last edited by Telsij on Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:37 pm; edited 3 times in total
deano
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good buddy
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:21 pm    Post subject: MARTEZ SISTERS & THE SILVER ANGEL Reply with quote

deano wrote:
Looking good buddy

Hey, long time, no see 'round these parts, pardner!

Thank you for the kind words, Deano — and as others have already said elsewhere, I too am glad TORIS is still up!

*** CLONE WARS SEASON 7 SPOILERS ***

I know that these two characters, Trace especially, get a lot of hate from certain sectors of the Internet. BUT I was rather fond of them, and their arcs, especially as they related to Ahsoka's soul-searching walkabout and to TCW's overall world-building.

For me, their episodes touched nicely upon the "gray" areas of life under the Republic, including (albeit briefly) asking the question of how the slavery of the Kessel mines can still be allowed to exist, and highlighting the collateral-turned-personal damage that conflicts with the Jedi can cause to everyday citizens.

That said, I think that the Martez Sisters' 4 episode arc should have been a 3 episode arc. The episode where they wind up back in prison could have been compressed and/or serve as intro to the 4th. Despite this criticism, I very much liked their episodes and characters overall.

On the other hand, I personally found the 'Bad Batch" episodes (which more people, or at least more vocal people, seemed to really enjoy) to be uninteresting/dull. So, to each their own!

THE MARTEZ SISTERS

The eldest of two sisters, raspy-voiced Rafa Martez ran a galactic laundry facility she won gambling, while making her real living through illegal jobs with the denizens of the Coruscant underworld. Trusting only her sister, the two siblings long ago learned that their survival was dependent on learning the tough lesson that they could only count on themselves. Young sister Trace was an aspiring pilot, who worked as a no-nonsense mechanic in her own repair bay on Level 1313 of the Coruscant underworld. She dreamt of a life among the stars. And with the Nebula-class ship she was rebuilding, she and her sister Rafa will make a living far from the reach of the Jedi and the Clone Wars — if she has her way, that is.

Then, when Rafa's first choice of ship and pilot for a spice-running on behalf of the Pyke Syndicate fell through, she recruits Trace — as well as, albeit reluctantly, Ahsoka Tano. At the helm of the Silver Angel, Trace felt unstoppable. Optimistic, and technically-ingenious though naïve, the younger Martez sister was eager to join her older sister Rafa for the dangerous job.

But after picking up the goods on Kessel, Trace made a rash decision fearing her ship would be taken from her, and landed both sisters and Ahsoka Tano in prison. With her ship in danger, Trace had made a difficult and costly decision, jettisoning a shipment of spice and ensuring the sisters and Ahsoka were indebted to the crime boss Marg Krim.

And in their cell on Oba Diah, Trace and Rafa revealed to Ahsoka, the genesis of their misgivings about the Jedi, so-called "defenders of the Republic." On the hunt for Ziro the Hutt, Jedi had chased the gangster all the way down to Level 1313. And in the ensuing skirmish, the Martez sisters' parents were killed, and their home was destroyed. After that day, they knew they couldn't trust anyone but each other.

But after they watched Ahsoka sacrifice herself and remain imprisoned by the Pykes so they could escape, Trace and Rafa concocted a new plan to rescue their friend, no longer convinced that they only had each other to trust.

RAFA MARTEZ
Type: Gambler/Hustler

Quotes:
  • Rafa: "Hey, what did I teach you? We can't count on anyone —"
    Trace: "So we count on ourselves. I know."
    Rafa: "That's right. That's how we survive."

• Rafa: "You show up outta nowhere, suddenly you and my sister are inseparable. What are you after?"
    Ahsoka: "Excuse me?"
    Rafa: "Come on. Everybody plays an angle. I don't mind. Except when it involves Trace."

• "She's not family, Trace. Remember that."

• "We make our own rules. And we survive just fine!"

DEXTERITY 3D+2
Brawling parry 4D+2, dodge 4D+2
KNOWLEDGE 3D
Business: front for illegal activities 4D, streetwise 4D+2, survival 4D+2, survival: urban 5D+2, willpower 5D
MECHANICAL 2D
Communications 2D+2, sensors 2D+2
PERCEPTION 4D
Bargain 5D+2, con 5D, gambling 5D+2
STRENGTH 2D+2
Brawling: martial arts 4D
TECHNICAL 2D

Homeworld: Coruscant (level 1313)

Character Points: 3

Rafa Martez knows the following Martial Arts techniques:
  • Front kick/Roundhouse kick: Rafa can perform a number of kicks that add surprising power to attacks from someone of her slender frame. These strikes include a strong front kick and roundhouse kicks — the latter delivered as either as a "haymaker" or as a flurry of kicks at various heights. Her experience with the "street fighting" variants of this technique allowed Rafa to hold her own (albeit briefly) against a much larger Trandoshan opponent. In game terms however, the technique difficulty, damage bonus, and net effects are roughly equivalent.

Difficulty: Moderate. Effect: Rafa gains a +1D bonus to her damage roll, if her skill roll exceeds the technique difficulty number. Failure to beat the difficulty number indicates that she is off-balance, and that her opponent may make an additional attack this round with no multiple action penalty. (Unfortunately, this off-balance result occurred for Rafa *twice* in her fight with the formidable Trandoshan refinery manager.)

Advantages & Disadvantages / Story Factors:
  • Debt(s) (+2D): Thanks to her volatile gambling record, Rafa owes various debts to various local crimelords and loan sharks throughout the Coruscanti underworld. She currently owes local loan shark Pintu, among others. "Luckily" for the Martez sisters however, Jedi outcast Ahsoka Tano has come along to help *and* Rafa has managed to score a long-gestating and lucrative, but very dangerous deal with the Pyke Syndicate (worth 30,000 credits)!

Ahsoka: "Why not make the best of a bad situation and deliver this spice to someplace that can use it for medicine?"
    Rafa: "Because that doesn't pay, and Trace and I have a lot of people on Coruscant waiting for money we owe them."
    Ahsoka: "No, you owe them. Not her."
    Rafa: "Sisters take care of each other. We can't pay off debt with your morality."

• Familial Responsibility/Protectiveness (+3D): Ever since losing their parents, Rafa has looked out for her younger sister Trace. And while she and Trace are always able to depend on one another, the burden sometimes weighs heavily upon Rafa. Despite her illicit activities, Rafa will always do what she can to protect Trace and shield her from the seedier side of the the Coruscant underworld. However, Rafa sometimes gets in over her head and when this happens, she has twice the worry — for Trace is often put at risk too. Especially when the unsavory characters to whom Rafa owes a debt come to collect! In large part as a result of this, Rafa has (often rightfully) grown distrustful of others when it comes to anything involving "her family."

Rafa: "Hey, what did I teach you? We can't count on anyone —"
    Trace: "So we count on ourselves. I know."
    Rafa: "That's right. That's how we survive."

Rafa: "You show up outta nowhere, suddenly you and my sister are inseparable. What are you after?"
    Ahsoka: "Excuse me?"
    Rafa: "Come on. Everybody plays an angle. I don't mind. Except when it involves Trace."

• Lofty Aspirations (+2D): Despite being a streetwise gambler, Rafa still finds herself in trouble more frequently than she'd care to admit, often needing to embark upon a new scheme simply to pay back what debt she's accrued from the last, or to "fix" what when wrong. And while Rafa and Trace had been able to eke out a living between Trace's mechanic bay work and Rafa's small-time schemes, one of the elder Martez sister's scores saw Rafa, Trace *and* Ahsoka Tano running spice for the Pyke Syndicate — something Rafa saw as a lucrative score: "Welcome to the big time."

In game terms, Rafa will often (ie: almost always) overreach when it comes to lining up the next (illegal) job for herself and her sister, in hopes of landing a large windfall. Her desire to portray herself as more accomplished than she also manifests in her behavior and style of dress. Rafa dresses, walks, talks (and talks with her hands) with a swagger and confidence that is meant to impress and intimidate.

Equipment: Assorted items of jewelry (such as a industrial-style necklace, pinky and thumb rings, etc), datapad, fur coat, laundromat on level 1313 of Coruscant undercity (Rafa's Laundry), Sabacc deck and chance cubes.

TRACE MARTEZ
Type: Aspiring Star Pilot

Quotes:
  • "Seemed like the right thing to do."

• Rafa:"I got a big job coming through that'll make everything good for us."
    Trace: "Is it legitimate this time or the usual job?"

• "See... nothing to worry about. We had it all under control."

• "Stop telling me what to do."

• "I've got one of the fastest ships around."

• "No one is taking my ship."

DEXTERITY 3D
Dodge 4D, melee combat 3D+1
KNOWLEDGE 2D
Survival 3D, survival: urban 4D, value: technology 4D, willpower 4D
MECHANICAL 4D
Repulsorlift operation 6D, space transports: Nebula-class freighter 5D
PERCEPTION 2D+1
STRENGTH 2D+2
Brawling 3D+1, climbing/jumping 3D+2
TECHNICAL 4D
Droid repair 5D, repulsorlift repair 5D, space transport repair 5D+2,
space transport repair: Nebula-class freighter 6D+2

Homeworld: Coruscant (level 1313)

Character Points: 5

Advantages & Disadvantages / Story Factors:
  • Brash/Overeager (+2D): Although daring and creative when it comes to getting out of trouble, Trace is also always prone to rash action due to her inexperience. In her brief time spent with Ahsoka Tano, her inexperience has already manifesting itself in a number of ways: her forgetting to place a restraining bolt on a potentially dangerous droid, or in the case of The Silver Angel's maiden jump to lightspeed, her forgetting to disengage the air brakes (something which could have had dire consequences), and in Trace's rash decision to jettison the spice out of fear of losing her starship.

In game terms, if Trace rolls a mishap on the wild die, the unfortunate result will very likely be of her own making — a consequence of impulsive action born of inexperience, and should be played as such.

• Naïve (+2D): Despite being able to handle herself (reasonably) well in dangerous situations, Trace still wants to see the best in people. Trace seems not only more willing to trust others (as she does Ahsoka after the latter proves kind), but also eager for companionship and friendship. She is thus impressed by, taken with, and perhaps also secretly smitten with, Ahsoka Tano and the Togruta's worldly experience. (There is, in my view, romantic subtext present as well, though it is likely a holdover from Trace's and Rafa's unrealized original characterization as a single male character, Nyx Okami.)

Trace (to Ahsoka): "You seem to know a lot about... everything."

Rafa (to Ahsoka): "How'd you end up with this moof-milker?"
    Trace (to Rafa): "She fell from the sky. I mean really. Dropped right in on the mech bay platform."

Wullf Yularen (to Trace): "This is military airspace. Civilian transports are not authorized to be in this sector. I'll have your star pilot license for this!
    Trace: "'License'? Do I need one of those?"

Rafa (to Ahsoka): "See why I tried to hire a different pilot? Trace's flying is more of a dream than a reality."
    Trace: "What did you say?"
    Rafa (to Trace): "Oh, I-I said the ship flies like a dream."

• Orphaned (+2D): Trace and Rafa lost their parents during the Jedi's Hunt for Ziro the Hutt, and inherited their repair bay. While Rafa has assumed the role of guardian, protector and ostensible "provider," Trace is often put at risk when Rafa's schemes go awry. Trace is aware of these dangers, however. Of the two Martez sisters, Trace is the one who would prefer to make an honest living — though she believes Rafa has their best interests at heart. And while doing so is not always possible in the Coruscant underworld, Trace tries to urge her sister to do the right thing whenever possible.

Ahsoka: "Do you ever get a say with Rafa?"
    Trace: "She's my older sister. She doesn't always get it right, but I know she's trying to make things better for us."

Equipment: Heavily-modified Nebula-class freighter (Silver Angel), mechanic's repair bay on level 1313 of Coruscant's undercity, spacer's jacket and hoodie, mechanic's toolkits (+1D to most repair-based rolls), utility belt and work-gloves.

RAFA'S LAUNDRY
Type: Laundromat / Front for illegal operations

An above-board business to keep the citizens of the Coruscant underworld looking their best, Rafa Martez runs a laundry facility she won gambling, which acts as a convenient front for her more lucrative but illegal jobs.

Headquarters/Location: Level 1313 of Coruscant undercity
Services: Self-service washer/dryer laundromat (out-of-date signs which advertise more elaborate laundry/dry-cleaning services are still displayed, one of which reads "Calrissian" and *may* offer a hint as to previous ownership), droid repair and assembly, petty theft, smuggling, and assorted other barely (if at all) profitable illegal activity
Known Affiliations: Pintu Son-El (loan shark)
Known Adversaries Pintu Son-El (loan shark), and (soon thereafter) the Pyke Syndicate (galactically-known drug cartel)
Key Figures: Rafa Martez (proprietor, gambler/hustler/would-be criminal mastermind), Trace Martez (mechanic, pilot, and per Rafa's claims, a droid expert/specialist), Ahsoka (temporary assistant, friend of Trace's, and someone of whom Rafa is suspicious!)
Area of Operations: Coruscant underworld, and (briefly) both Kessel and Oba Diah.

Game Notes: Rafa's Laundry is both a fully-functional laundromat *and* a rendezvous point / HQ for Rafa's more profitable illegal jobs. The laundromat's backlot/storage area has space enough to hold and/or hide substantial items as well, such as three large Type II binary loadlifter droids.

Sources: Star Wars: The Clone Wars animated series S7E5-S7E8, https://www.starwars.com/databank/rafa , https://www.starwars.com/databank/trace , https://www.starwars.com/series/clone-wars/gone-with-a-trace-episode-guide , https://www.starwars.com/series/clone-wars/deal-no-deal-episode-guide , https://www.starwars.com/series/clone-wars/dangerous-debt-episode-guide , https://www.starwars.com/series/clone-wars/together-again-episode-guide , https://www.starwars.com/databank/rafa-s-laundry , and Wookieepedia. Images: Screen captures from Star Wars: The Clone Wars animated series S7E5-S7E8. Capsule text adapted from https://www.starwars.com/databank/rafa , https://www.starwars.com/databank/trace , and https://www.starwars.com/databank/rafa-s-laundry . Stats and additional original text by Telsij.

SILVER ANGEL

A Quote:
  • Ahsoka: "That's a Nebula-class freighter. Or at least it was."
    Trace: "Good eye. I'm turning it into something with a bit more speed. I think."
Type: Modified Nebula-class freighter
Scale: Starfighter
Length: Approximately 54 meters
Skill: Space transports: Nebula-class freighter
Crew: 2; skeleton: 1/+5; gunners: 1
Crew Skill: See Trace Martez
Passengers: 4
Consumables: 2 months
Cost: Not available for sale
Cargo Capacity: 150 metric tons
Hyperdrive Multiplier: x1.5 (upgraded from x3)
Hyperdrive Backup: x15 (mishap modifier +2)
Nav Computer: Yes
Space: 6 (upgraded from 3; mishap modifier +2)
Atmosphere: 330; 950 kmh
Maneuverability: 2D
Hull: 4D (3D+2, if exposed engine housing in front of cockpit and at right and left aft, are struck)
Shields: 2D
Sensors: (sensor suite is nose-mounted)
  • Passive: 15/0D
  • Scan: 30/1D
  • Search: 50/2D
  • Focus: 2/4D

Weapons:

• 1 Laser Cannon (retractable)
    Fire Arc: Turret (dorsal)
    Crew: 1
    Skill: Starship gunnery
    Fire Control: 1D (fired from cockpit: swiveling targeting screen/controls may be angled toward either pilot or co-pilot)
    Space Range: 1-3/15/25
    Atmosphere Range: 100-300/1.5/2.5km
    Damage: 4D+2 (upgraded from 4D; mishap modifier +1)

Equipped with:
  • Remote Cargo Bay Controls: The Silver Angel is equipped with an automated cargo loading/unloading system, on its starboard side, that can be operated from the cockpit. Each of the three compartments in the cargo hold can be remotely extended from the hull of the ship to facilitate in-flight cargo exchange, loading, and unloading. In game terms, using a system of conveyor-tracks, the three compartments can be individually extended (either in-flight or while docked), and released or locked at the press of a button. All three compartments may be locked or jettisoned/released at once if all three buttons are pressed. Each individual compartment is capable of storing 50 metric tons of cargo.

• Upgraded Engine/Hyperdrive Output: Because Trace Martez has reassembled this ship almost entirely from scratch and all on her own, she has streamlined and kitbashed systems wherever and whenever she could — all with an eye toward increasing the ship's speed. Four of the craft's six engines have overclocked output, which has boosted speed at the expense of some durability, as it required some of the hull-plating to be stripped away to allow for proper outgassing and heat dissipation. The hyperdrive has been pushed beyond its original specs as well, but at the cost of a more reliable backup system from which "unnecessary" parts were borrowed.

Capsule: A Nebula-class freighter repurposed for a bit more speed, the Silver Angel is Trace Martez's pride and joy. The aspiring pilot and mechanic has been rebuilding, modifying, and tinkering with the massive ship in hopes of using the vessel as a means to escape her difficult life in the Coruscant underworld.

Sources: Star Wars: The Clone Wars animated series S7E5-S7E8, https://www.starwars.com/databank/the-silver-angel , https://www.starwars.com/series/clone-wars/gone-with-a-trace-episode-guide , https://www.starwars.com/series/clone-wars/deal-no-deal-episode-guide , https://www.starwars.com/series/clone-wars/dangerous-debt-episode-guide , https://www.starwars.com/series/clone-wars/together-again-episode-guide , and Wookieepedia. Images: Silver Angel (as "Black Ace") concept art by JP Balmet ( https://www.starwars.com/series/clone-wars/deal-no-deal-episode-guide ) and screen captures from Star Wars: The Clone Wars animated series S7E5-S7E8. Capsule text: https://www.starwars.com/databank/the-silver-angel . Stats and additional original text by Telsij.

Last edited by Telsij on Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:37 pm; edited 17 times in total
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your write-ups to get better all the time. With your busy schedule I am glad you find time to continue these posts. Thank you.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
Your write-ups to get better all the time. With your busy schedule I am glad you find time to continue these posts. Thank you.
Thank you.

If I budget/plan my time well enough -- including posting/editing these from the office/work, which I am doing as we speak -- and if I forego any other "free time" activity for X number of days/weeks, I find that I'm *maybe* able to do one Obscure Character entry per month, before (unfortunately) completely draining creative batteries and having to get back to the workday grind immediately thereafter.

But I do love this project, so the kind words are much appreciated.

shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Telsij wrote:
... before (unfortunately) completely draining creative batteries ...

That is what happened to me. After the G+ communities shut down and we (collectively) finished up R1 and Solo, I was drained. Until recently I think it has been at least 12-18 months since I have tackled a project. In fact the last project I worked on was Leia, Princess of Alderaan which sat 95% done all that time. In the interim I did setup the SWd6 Discord server and kicked out a few small things. Recently the creative juices have returned and I have gotten four projects done and a five all in about three weeks: Leia, Princess of Alderaan, The High Republic: A Test of Courage, The Last Jedi: Cobalt Squad, Guardians of the Whills (in editing but should be out today or tomorrow, then layout), The Weapon of a Jedi: A Luke Skywalker Adventure (yet to enter editing, but very soon), and Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure (currently working on).

I also have my next few projects out of prep which are: The High Republic: The Light of the Jedi, Smuggler's Run: A Hand Solo and Chewbacca Adventure, and Splinter of the Mind's Eye
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will prob sign off here until next month or two. Best of luck with those projects.

Whill

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Telsij wrote:
Will prob sign off here until next month or two.

Sad
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 19 of 23

Jump to: