The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Rogue One (original spoilers thread)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Rogue One (original spoilers thread) Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
Just watched ANH again. I'm really impressed at how much the CGI Tarkin and Leia look like they did in ANH. And seeing Red Leader, Gold Leader, and the death of Red 5.... what a way to segway into ANH.

I love those two as well, Gold Leader and Red Leader, but did you see Biggs too? LOL, I think I did.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
Anyone know at what point the L-1 tactical droid makes its appearance?

The what??
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
shootingwomprats wrote:
Anyone know at what point the L-1 tactical droid makes its appearance?

The what??

It is listed as appearing in:
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (First appearance)

Source:
Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide (First identified as K-OHN)

I do not remember seeing it in the movie.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember hearing the overhead announcement paging "General Syndulla" but I missed the Freeze Frame Bonus for Chopper. Rebels may only be a kids show, but I like it extremely and I'm glad to see that at least Hera and Chopper survive to ANH, or at least RO. I missed seeing the Ghost at the Battle of Scarif, but Word of God says that the VCX-100 at Scarif was indeed the Ghost. I just hope Hera made it out of there before Darth Vader's Star Destroyer showed up....

(And I had no idea of this L1 tactical droid. Aside from being in the RO Illustrative Guide, what is it's significance again?)

I guess I'm just gonna have to watch the movie again. 8)
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are rumors of a planned Rebels episode showing the events of Rogue One from the perspective of the Ghost's crew.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say is this movie was a love note from ILM. The likenesses of Tarkin and Leia were absolutely flawless. This movie's special effects were seamless in many places, which is what makes good CGI. The acting was good and the characters were perfectly restrained. There were no Jedi except Vader. The lines were easy to digest. There was no romantic subplot. That huge wave of TIE fighters was crazy. The ending was beautifully tragic and actually moving.

My dad after the movie:
Him: "I just don't think Darth Vader could have parried all those shots and did what he did."
Me: "Darth Vader was an extremely powerful Jedi. You should see 'The Clone Wars'."
Him: "Why wouldn't someone just shoot him in the foot?"
Me:

Addendum: All the new vehicles are cool. I like the shuttles a lot and the Imperial cargo vessels. The Rebel U-Wing fighter craft are awesome. The Rebel fleet's flagship was an interesting new Mon Calamari design. I liked the traditional role of the Y-Wings as bombers a lot.

My only complaint (and this goes for The Force Awakens too) is the lack of any of the like dozens of TIE variants that could be used really awesomely in the films. I did see TIE Bombers in this film. I want to see TIE Avengers in a film. And TIE Defenders too!

Another small complaint is that unless you are hearing the dialogue perfectly in the first third of the movie, you are kind of lost as to the nuanced plot involving the "defecting" Imperial pilot and his role in the story. At least I was. But I will see it again, without murmuring people in the foreground this time...

Last edited by Error on Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
RedKnight
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can even integrate Rogue one with the Old EU if we consider the Death Star Plans were in pieces, Scarif had one part, Kyle retrieved another, the Toparwa rebels retrieved another....then the rebels all split back to their Cells meaning that Red and Gold squadrons were pretty much the extent of the fighter forces present on Yavin. It all lines up !
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error wrote:
I want to see TIE Avengers in a film. And TIE Defenders too!

Error, you'll be happy to know that TIE Defenders were just recently canonized in Rebels. As of Season 3, Episode 9, TIE Defenders are being designed and soon built by Grand Admiral Thrawn. (Ok, this wasn't a Rogue One spoiler, it was a Rebels spoiler for anyone who hasn't seen that episode yet and I'm not spoiling who the new Fulcrum is, I'm in enough trouble already! Razz )

But I'm already wondering why Defenders are getting the canonization love when Avengers are just as cool? And Defenders with the potential of showing up before the Battle of Yavin? Something tells me that Kanan and the gang are gonna have to get their butts in gear to save the Rebellion even before the events of Rogue One....
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
I remember hearing the overhead announcement paging "General Syndulla" but I missed the Freeze Frame Bonus for Chopper.

General Syndulla is indeed Hera. Other than Chopper we do not know if anyone else survived or who was piloting the Ghost at the Battle of Scarif.

Sutehp wrote:
I missed seeing the Ghost at the Battle of Scarif, but Word of God says that the VCX-100 at Scarif was indeed the Ghost.

Chopper makes an appearance in the background when they are at Yavin Base. The Ghost is in the same scene in the background and you see the it among the Rebel Fleet when it enters the Scarif system.

Sutehp wrote:
(And I had no idea of this L1 tactical droid. Aside from being in the RO Illustrative Guide, what is it's significance again?)

I do not think it has anything to do with the story. It was not given a name in the movie or the book. It is given a name in the Illustrated Guide, but that is all I know.

If you have access to the Spanish cam (no subtitles, just where there is text its Spanish, otherwise its all English) it should be 2:08:36 long:

0:17:24 Left side of screen, middle, you see the front portion of the Ghost outside the Rebel Base on Yavin 4.

1:34:01 shows chopper on the left side of the screen, moving right to left.

1:37:51 shows the Ghost, bottom of screen, to left of Hammerhead.

Check out this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFBMqqpxOKQ
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Error wrote:
I want to see TIE Avengers in a film. And TIE Defenders too!

Error, you'll be happy to know that TIE Defenders were just recently canonized in Rebels. As of Season 3, Episode 9, TIE Defenders are being designed and soon built by Grand Admiral Thrawn. (Ok, this wasn't a Rogue One spoiler, it was a Rebels spoiler for anyone who hasn't seen that episode yet and I'm not spoiling who the new Fulcrum is, I'm in enough trouble already! Razz )

But I'm already wondering why Defenders are getting the canonization love when Avengers are just as cool? And Defenders with the potential of showing up before the Battle of Yavin? Something tells me that Kanan and the gang are gonna have to get their butts in gear to save the Rebellion even before the events of Rogue One....

Once the Defender was designed and put into production, the Empire's combat engineers kind of forgot the Avenger. The Defender was just more productive per capita and way more versatile. It had ion cannons and could carry most any armament available at starfighter scale. In the game X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter for the PC in the 1990's, they had to nerf Defenders for being too powerful.

Their maneuverability in the game TIE Fighter completely outclassed all other starfighter-scale ships. You end up having to fight against other TIE Defenders in the campaign mode; they're really hard to kill. You have to exploit a weakness in the AI. First, you put all your power into speed and get as far away from them as you can, then you head back toward them slowly. They will be flying after you, pointed directly at you. Once they're in range and you're getting target lock for a concussion missile, the AI just has them flying straight toward you; they do not swerve or dive to avoid the lock. Launch the missile and they're dead. True, it's not a dogfight, and exploits a weakness in the AI of the other ships, but it was my only recourse because the things were impossible to kill in a dogfight.

Anyway, I am EXTREMELY happy that TIE Defenders are now canon. My favorite fighter ever!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error wrote:

My only complaint (and this goes for The Force Awakens too) is the lack of any of the like dozens of TIE variants that could be used really awesomely in the films. I did see TIE Bombers in this film. I want to see TIE Avengers in a film. And TIE Defenders too!

On that angle. IF the empire had a lot of those funky new toys, why is it its ONLY now we are seeing them, when in prior films for the same (and later time) they didn't??
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error wrote:

garhkal wrote:
On that angle. IF the empire had a lot of those funky new toys, why is it its ONLY now we are seeing them, when in prior films for the same (and later time) they didn't??

Well, in Legends, the reason the TIE Avengers and TIE Defenders weren't heavily fielded against the Rebellion (though they did see some action against the Rebels in the TIE Fighter video game) is because Admiral Zaarin tried to stage a coup against Palpatine by stealing as many TIE factories making Avengers and Defenders as he could and destroying much of the rest. The Missile Boat was designed specifically to defeat entire squadrons of TIE Defenders as well as multiple capital ships. By the time Zaarin was finally defeated, the Empire had no choice but to destroy much of its own starfighter-building infrastructure. Needless to say, this came back to bite the Empire in the @$$ hard at the Battle of Endor.

As for why we're not seeing the Defender at, say, the Battle of Yavin in canon continuity? Well, I guess we'll see the answer to that in a future episode of Rebels. 8)

EDIT: In Rogue One, did anyone see the Ghost escape or get shot down during the Battle at Scarif? I'll have to keep my eye out for that myself when I go see Rogue One again....
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Error wrote:

Though I love seeing them on the screen, putting TIE/D in Rebels was kind of a d!ck move on Disney's part. It flies in the face of Legends continuity and it's going to require retcons in multiple media to align the event with the remaining Legends continuity. (Or Disney just won't bother, because they obviously fiat-ed the things into the show because they looked cool and not for any other reason.) Anyone working on Rebels who had even a basic idea of in-universe TIE fighter development/use would have stuck with the new ship of the TIE line which the first Inquisitor flew, or the TIE Advanced x1 which Vader flew. They could have also continued to develop original craft which did not kick sand in the face of continuity and addressed the need for a cool-looking new tool for the Empire some other way. Even though it's my favorite fighter, in the original continuity, Defenders weren't even developed until late in the year that happened between the battles of Hoth and Endor, just before Zaarin's insurrection and just after Vice Admiral Thrawn's secret promotion to Grand Admiral.

Ugh. It makes my stomach sour when writers (WRITERS!) think that just plucking tidbits from SWU other media and inserting them into their shows is like doing us a favor. It's not even an easter egg like a TIE/D on a coffee mug in the background or something. Even though it's my favorite fighter, I'm actually a little mad at the writers over at Disney for this. They basically took a rare, expensive, special ship, which was not at Endor (or later) for reasons stated by someone above, and stuck it in their show without doing any research first. Or maybe they did the research, debated it, and still came to the wrong conclusion: use it cuz it looks cool hur hur hur we need money hur hur hur and we know Error over at the Rancor Pit is now more likely to buy the DVD's hur hur hur.

Sorry, I'm mad. And off-topic!

Last edited by Error on Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error wrote:
Though I love seeing them on the screen, putting TIE/D in Rebels was kind of a d!ck move on Disney's part. It flies in the face of Legends continuity...

Sorry, I'm mad. And off-topic!

LOL, yes. In general we're not sticklers for staying on topic at the Pit, but for this thread, until January 1st, I would like to please ask that we don't veer too far off discussion of Rogue One because this is the only 'spoilers allowed' thread for it at this time. Thank you.

I posted a reply to continue this discussion in the appropriate existing thread here: http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=167445#167445
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is ILM a Disney property now too? Or are they separate?

Just curious about how the interfacing between Disney and ILM would've gone for the effects shots from this film. Especially the Scarif stuff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 3 of 30

Jump to: