The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Pre-BBY A-Wings (and B-Wings)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Pre-BBY A-Wings (and B-Wings) Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DB 2.0
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:38 am    Post subject: Pre-BBY A-Wings (and B-Wings) Reply with quote

has anyone got the updated canon stats for the A-Wing pre BBY?

I've got a Freebooter Starship Tech who's going to have access to an inexpensive Fighter, since the GM is sick of us using our ships as Campervans and not getting out to explore her set pieces, lots of past characters have had a habit of coming, doing our business and moving on without going more than a few blocks from where we dock, eating & sleeping on the ship, this time around the GM want's us to get out more so no freighters, she also wants us to limit our junk collections hence an other reason for not giving us a freighter.

we need a Hyper capable Fighter that isn't too expensive or powerful (we are to fear the TIE) from what we can tell the A-Wing of the generation being used in the Rebels animated series looks to fit the bill.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my part, I wouldn't expect the A-Wing depicted in Rebels to be any different from A-Wings shown anywhere else. The reason they get destroyed so much in Rebels is because they're driven by Red Shirts.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think they are supposed to be any different than the ANH ships, though to address issues with canon (which maybe has been ret-conned?) I believe they are called the RZ-1 or something like that. Take a look on Wookieepedia and compare their descriptions and loadouts.

On the brigjt side, you can always outrun any ships you don't want to fight....
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: pre BBY A-Wings Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
I don't think they are supposed to be any different than the ANH ships, though to address issues with canon (which maybe has been ret-conned?)

Which version of ANH had A-Wings?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
RedKnight
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they arent A-wings, they are R-22 Spearheads ! which is effectively a slower weaker A-wing until Dodana and his people get their hands on it. apprently its a descendant of the Eta-2 and Delta-7
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC the A-wing wasn't even developed till just after Hoth.. Same with B-wings.

BUT to keep a low power fighter. Go with the 2 standby's for that era.. Z-95s and Y wings...
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
IIRC the A-wing wasn't even developed till just after Hoth.. Same with B-wings.

BUT to keep a low power fighter. Go with the 2 standby's for that era.. Z-95s and Y wings...

The A- and B- Wings being developed late in the Rebellion is Legends continuity. Both were canonized as being pre-Yavin in Rebels. Hell, Hera Syndulla even test-piloted the prototype B-Wing on a planet named Shantipole! (Sorry Project: Shantipole, you're Legends continuity now!)

Yes, that means that the A- and B-wings were both acquired by the Rebellion before they got X-Wings in canon now.
DB 2.0
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the updated canon the A-wing before Dodana got his hands on them was slower, had shields, laced the EW gear and looks to have a touch more armor and structural components also their was a two seat trainer version.

Wookiepedia has the capabilities of both versions but formatted in different ways and the new canon info is incomplete from a technical standpoint.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedKnight wrote:
they arent A-wings, they are R-22 Spearheads ! which is effectively a slower weaker A-wing until Dodana and his people get their hands on it.

R-22 Spearheads are EU/Legends-only - They do not exist in the current canon. Furthermore, in canon RZ-1s were in use only one year after Order 66.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
RedKnight
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hate the 'new cannon' for makeing crap like that happen........sorry i'll stop providing input when all i have is old EU knowledge.
DB 2.0
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit mixed on Canon Vs "Legends", I love detail, but the EU was getting a bit muddied with how big and convoluted it had became, it needed a clean up, but did they strip it back too far?

As things stand the A-Wing is something that has bean in production for a wile, with the more widespread deployment of the TIE Interceptor Dodana and crew re work it in to something matching the EU configuration just in time for Endor.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My SWU is a mix of canon, legends and my own invention.

RedKnight wrote:
i hate the 'new cannon' for makeing crap like that happen........sorry i'll stop providing input when all i have is old EU knowledge.

I wasn't trying to bust your chops. Just passing on the facts.

I really don't care how early A-Wings were created. My campaigns all take place in the classic era. Elements of Droids and Rebels may both exist in my SWU but neither is accepted wholesale.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedKnight wrote:

Especially when that data was corroborated in the novelizations for ESB/ROTJ for some of those items.. such as ackbar working on creating the b-wings as part of project shantipole..
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Especially when that data was corroborated in the novelizations for ESB/ROTJ for some of those items.. such as ackbar working on creating the b-wings as part of project shantipole..

The original film novelizations are no longer canon either. FYI.

From reading the three "Making of" trilogy books I can tell you for certain that B-Wings weren't invented until pre-production for RotJ, so it wouldn't have been the novelization of TESB.

I'm pretty sure that Project Shantipole was not referred to the RotJ novelization either. I haven't read it since the late 80s but that was also the time when the Strike Force: Shantipole module came out, and I'm sure I would have made the connection between the module and the novelization back then. Wookieepedia doesn't record any connection now. As far as I know, Wookieepedia is correct - The Shantipole Project and Ackbar's involvement were creations of the WEG model. Please post a page or chapter number from the RotJ novelization.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gawds, the ROTJ novelization has Obi-Wan explain to Luke in the Dagobah scene that after the twins were born, Luke and Leia's mother (she was still nameless then) took baby Leia to Alderaan and served as a handmaiden to the Organas until she died when Leia was roughly 4 years old or so, while Obi-Wan took baby Luke to Owen Lars, who Obi-Wan explicitly refers to as his brother (never mind their different last names!), rather than Anakin Skywalker's stepbrother!

So yeah, the novelizations of the OT are iffy even as Legends continuity. Say what you will about the Prequel Trilogy but even they weren't as bad as some of the ideas in the OT novelizations.

And as far as I know, Project Shantipole was indeed originally a WEG Star Wars adventure module titled Strike Force: Shantipole published back in 1988. I haven't read through the ROTJ novelization cover-to-cover in several years, but I don't recall anything in there about Project: Shantipole either. After reading through the section detailing the second Death Star briefing on Home One, the Mon Cal headquarters cruiser, where Admiral Ackbar is introduced, there is no mention of Project: Shantipole anywhere.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: