The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Adaptations of the old-school X-Wing PC game Tours of Duty?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Adaptations of the old-school X-Wing PC game Tours of Duty? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Adaptations of the old-school X-Wing PC game Tours of Duty? Reply with quote

The starfighter one-shot posted in this section got me thinking: I'd previously used the X-Wing PC game campaigns as background for my PC (ie: that she flew the missions not Keyan Farlander), but was curious if anyone had done a specific D6 adaptation of any of the battles/missions/tours of duty, as a running addition to their squadron-themed games.

If not, it would be a great slow-build campaign....

I'm sure it's been done informally, in an inspired-by way, but a straight-up mission-by-mission set up would be pretty interesting.

Same holds true of course for say, TIE Fighter, X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter, N64 Rogue Squadron, etc.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, if someone adapted the X-Wing Tours of Duty into a D6 SWU campaign, that's certainly something I'd like to see.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, YEARS ago we had a user that had it in mind to take the X-Wing and TIE Fighter strategy guides and turn them into an adventure booklet. Though, like many one-person projects, we never heard from her again.

Sometimes I imagine that these people who start an ambitious project and then vanish have succumbed to the throes of insanity from going solo into such a daunting project.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Sometimes I imagine that these people who start an ambitious project and then vanish have succumbed to the throes of insanity from going solo into such a daunting project.

Maybe that's what they want us to think. Shocked

Now where is that tinfoil hat of mine, I know I put it around here someplace... Razz
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Oh, YEARS ago we had a user that had it in mind to take the X-Wing and TIE Fighter strategy guides and turn them into an adventure booklet. Though, like many one-person projects, we never heard from her again.

Ah, may the Force of others be with her then, and may the project one day resurface as a shiny holy grail, receiving a welcome the likes of which were not seen since the suspected basis of the Gamblers sourcebook resurfaced sometime ago.

Side Note: a PC mission editor program for the old X-Wing game in the 90's was serious fun. It allowed for a surprising degree of control, though not quite in as easy a way as a more modern drag-and-drop program might. Allowed you to write your own mission briefings, specify cargo, crew, squadron colors... allow 3 ISDs to jump in with just a minute remaining on the mission clock, or triggered by the player's completion of the primary objective, etc.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really liked X-Wing and I loved Tie Fighter, but once X-Wing: Alliance came out and changed the mechanics of the game so that you had to lower your velocity to increase your turn speed, I never played it again. That one change ruined the game because every time I had to turn, I kept turning my toggle too far and wound up changing my speed to zero instead of just 1/3 and lost ALL maneuverability as a result. Not to mention that going to 1/3 slows you down enough to make you a sitting duck.
cheshire

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked hard at those missions in TIE Fighter, and made it all the way to the top of the Secret Order of the Empire.

Then I lost the pilot in a hard drive crash.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't really contribute as far as missions, but I did base a lot of my Advanced Starfighter Combat System on the X-Wing games.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I can't really contribute as far as missions, but I did base a lot of my Advanced Starfighter Combat System on the X-Wing games.

Did you ever manage to finish all that and put it in PDF form?
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am less familiar with X-Wing tours than I am with TIE Fighter tours, especially in a TIE Defender...

But a starfighter campaign along those lines could be really cool. The PC's could start with a group of 4-6 veteran Rebel pilots who get 2D for every 1D they put into Starfighter Piloting at character creation time. Plan out their objectives each mission (i.e. protect this convoy, defend this planetary installation, destroy this interdictor and convoy, engage enemy fighters while X and Y escape to hyperspace, whatever you like) and you could even do secondary and tertiary objectives—as in the video games—for further bonuses or CP. Make the other pilots the run-of-the-mill Imperial TIE pilot in various craft. I highly recommend experimenting with any of the TIE line that was extant during whatever year you like most for more challenging foes. TIE Interceptors are fast and have lots of guns, TIE Avengers are like them but faster and with missiles. You can also advance the opposing pilots' stats as you see fit to challenge the PC's.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

Did you ever manage to finish all that and put it in PDF form?

Negative, and between work and a new girlfriend, I don't have a whole lot of spare time. I've got some ideas for reworking the combat rules, adding a little more detail to combat maneuvering, as well as tidying up some of the weapons, but no time to do it in. There was some discussion of including it in a book that Womp Rat Press had in the works, but they have a LOT on their plates at the moment.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me there are some good aspects to this sort of game along with some pitfalls.
You automatically restrict the types of templates/races that can be taken, since a lot couldn't fit into the fighter's cockpits..
A ship destroyed result, unless you alter the rules, also means a dead pilot. So i can easily see a high turn over of pcs..

Personally i would more rather go with a variation along the Wraith squadron template.. All ground insurgents with piloting as a back up..
cheshire

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm with both Error and garhkal on this one. The standard piloting missions might get drab after enough adventures. Though if there was the dynamic introduced with the Secret Order of the Emperor, i.e., "This is what the mission is, but there's something underlying we need to investigate," that could make for some more interesting story elements. Combined with the variety of ground-based agents, there are some possibilities here.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just re-reading about Operation: Cobolt in the Rebel Alliance Sourcebook about General Crix Madine and several other higher-ups organizing a full-scale raid of the orbital base above Mantooine. The raid involved 5 wings (15 squadrons!) of X- and Y-Wings to draw away the TIE support, a team of 20 SpecForce Infiltrators disguised as Imperial technicians to sneak onto the base to take out the power generator, 75 SpecForce Marines to storm the base and steal the Imperial ScanDoc decoder machine and 15 additional technicians for support.

Final tally: the operation was over in 50 minutes, 13 of a total of 180 starfighters destroyed, all 13 pilots missing and presumed dead, with an additional pilot who managed to return to base but died of his wounds, 68 Marines dead or missing of a total of 110 men, but the Scandoc computer was successfully retrieved and the loss of power caused the base's orbit to decay and burn up in Mantooine's atmosphere 2 hours after the Rebels left. Mission successful.

Anyway, my point is that the Tour of Duty missions (some of them, anyway) can be modified and/or rewritten to include non-pilot roles so that the PC party doesn't have to be an all-pilot crew. Just a thought.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the party could be a split team, some joining an air raid to draw defensive troops off, while the other team joins a ground raid..

However, the success or failure of one team could have serious consequences on the other..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: